The Unprecedented Media Assault on the Jets

Jettington

Speaking of 'made for tv'...how about Belichick and his 'high character' players like Hernandez? Or his expert 'cameramen'?

Basically, just stfu already.  You're act is old and tired by now.  Worry about your own team.

gfy

And quit whining about media coverage. You wanted it and you got it.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on, slats.  Would Tanny have made the decision on any of those moves aside from maybe Scott?  I highly doubt it.  If anything, he'd probably have doubled down on trading up using next year's top picks and signing a flashy FA.  Compared with GMs of other teams, perhaps Idizk hasn't done anything special, but for Jets fans, it's a great sign that things are changing and we have some hope for the future.  It Tranny had stayed on the job, ther would have been NO hope.

Exactly.

I disagree.  Idzik knew that he needed to see Geno play this year to see if he needed to draft a QB high next year.  He wasn't looking for a QB who was so good that he'd have been hard to remove from the starting lineup without the players and fans raising a stink.  I think the plan was to get a veteran cheaply who would be easy to bench once Geno was ready and no one would complain.  Garrard fit the bill.  He was not the turnover machine Sanchez is, and would have been a good mentor for Geno, but wouldn't have been so good that Geno shouldn't have been able to supplant him at some point.

Nope. Garrard was signed before the Jets drafted Geno. And being that he waited until the second round to do so, it's hard to suggest he knew he'd be able to land him.

Well, at least I got my question answered how Idzik will be "lucky" in your eyes if Geno pans out.  Please.  That's totally absurd.  He's lucky because he took a QB that no one else took?  He's lucky because he was patient and didn't panic or overvalue him and reach for him in the first.  That's just nuts.  I would never have expected something like that coming from you.

It has nothing to do with Idzik's patience, or lack of panic, and everything to do with the fact that at the end of the day the league as a whole judged Geno to be a second round talent. The history of QBs taken in the second round is not a very good one. If the Jets found a legitimate starter there, they're fortunate. Plain and simple. Every team in the league passed on him for a reason, including a few nearly as desperate for a QB as the Jets.

He'll get a lot of credit for the pick if it does work out -he did, after all, make the pick- but that doesn't mean good fortnune wouldn't've come into play.

Exactly.

Nope. Garrard was signed before the Jets drafted Geno. And being that he waited until the second round to do so, it's hard to suggest he knew he'd be able to land him.

It has nothing to do with Idzik's patience, or lack of panic, and everything to do with the fact that at the end of the day the league as a whole judged Geno to be a second round talent. The history of QBs taken in the second round is not a very good one. If the Jets found a legitimate starter there, they're fortunate. Plain and simple. Every team in the league passed on him for a reason, including a few nearly as desperate for a QB as the Jets.

He'll get a lot of credit for the pick if it does work out -he did, after all, make the pick- but that doesn't mean good fortnune wouldn't've come into play.

Sperm is right.  Obviously, you have an agenda against Idzik.  I never wanted Idzik hired in the first place, yet I can see the good that he has done.  There are a lot of lousy GMs in the NFL, otherwise, NE, Baltimore, SF and a few other teams wouldn't have it relatively so easy every year.

It doesn't matter that Garrard was signed before Geno was drafted.  I strongly believe that Idzik had planned to take a QB in the draft, and due to the fact that Mornhinweg worked Geno out and Idzik said that he almost drafted Geno at #9 and #13, that speaks volumes of what they thought about Geno.  Even if they didn't have Geno rated that much higher than Nassib and Glennon and didn't care which one they got, I think that Garrard was just signed to be a placeholder for 4-8 games until they started whichever QB they took, and then be the mentor for that QB the rest of the season.  I believe you said yourself that the Jets had to take a QB this year.

I think you're totally wrong about "luck".  It has EVERYTHING to do with patience and skill.  If it were luck, then they'd have had 2-3 names in a hat, reached in, took one and then drafted that player.  That didn't happen.  They didn't take a position player ranked highly and either hope that Glennon or Nassib would be there for them in the 3rd, or try to trade up in the 3rd.  Idzik didn't pull a Tranny and trade down in the 2nd, then back up and then take Geno.  He took him at #39.

It doesn't matter one whit that other teams passed on Geno.  Every team has different perspectives and systems and approaches.  Lots of teams (in fact every one I think) passed on Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kapernick, Russell Wilson, and other QBs and topflight position players.  Does that mean that GB was lucky they got Rodgers?  There's always a small amount of luck, but luck equals opportunity plus preparation.  Idzik had the opportunity and was prepared and took Geno.  Preparation is not luck.  Having the opportunity is not luck, because dumbass Tranny would have undoubtedly traded away the 2nd round pick as part of his move up in the 1st round to take Nassib.  

With the history of 2nd round QBs not being good, if Geno pans out, it will make the Jets and Idzik look all the smarter and better.  It's more than just luck that a QB develops too.  It's doing the best job you can before the draft getting to know the prospects and figuring out who the best prospects are. How the QB is handled/coached, the offense that he plays in (is it tailored to his strengths or is he a square peg in a round hole?), when he plays, and the offensive talent he has to work with (OL as well as WRs, TEs, and RBs) all play a big part in whether a QB develops or not.

Sperm is right.  Obviously, you have an agenda against Idzik.

And don't remember Sperm saying that, and if he did, he'd be wrong.

IMO, his cap reducing moves were pretty common sense, and his veteran pickups have been poor. I completely understand the fact he's setting himself up for next year, but that doesn't excuse Garrard, Peterman, and Goodson. All I've said about that, though, is that his grade so far is an incomplete. The tearing down process is easy compared to the building process, and he really hasn't gotten to the building, yet. That happens next year, when he has the money.

...dumbass Tranny would have undoubtedly traded away the 2nd round pick as part of his move up in the 1st round to take Nassib.  

Tanny sucking doesn't make Idzik better. And frankly, I'm much more impressed with him taking Sheldon Richardson with Star Lotulelei and Sharrif Floyd still on the board. That represented a little out of the box thinking, and Richardson looks like a player already. Of course, it's also funny to me that people used that pick to cry that Rex was still in charge of everything at the time. That was great!

You'll have to forgive me if I think that taking the consensus top QB prospect in the draft when he falls to you in the second round is something less than genius. The Jets telegraphed that pick, too, telling Geno that if he came back for the second round the team could guarantee he'd be selected. Despite that, no one opted to move ahead of the Jets to take him. So it's either luck that he dropped, or the Jets just valued him higher than the rest of league. Which is fine - as long as he pans put.

I'm not giving extra credit for not doing what Tannenbaum might've done. Tannenbaum is (thankfully) gone, and now Idzik gets compared to the other 31 people on the planet with his job title/responsibilities. Avoiding crippling guaranteed contracts to bad players and trading up in the draft is a start - but that's all it is, a start.

. Every team in the league passed on him for a reason, including a few nearly as desperate for a QB as the Jets.

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to name that team, I can't seem to find them.

The only two that nearly fit the description are the Vikings and the Jaguars and they both have two qbs that they used high picks on that they haven't given up on yet.

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to name that team, I can't seem to find them.

The only two that nearly fit the description are the Vikings and the Jaguars and they both have two qbs that they used high picks on that they haven't given up on yet.

The easy one is the Bills.

The Cards and Raiders also opted to attempt to fix their sorry QB issues outside of the draft. Tampa and Philly were in the QB market, and waited rather than taking Geno.

The Cards and Raiders also opted to attempt to fix their sorry QB issues outside of the draft. Tampa and Philly were in the QB market, and waited rather than taking Geno.

Of those, only the Bills had a shred of urgency towards bringing in a rookie QB. The others were all invested. Philly? Come on, man.

Of those, only the Bills had a shred of urgency towards bringing in a rookie QB. The others were all invested. Philly? Come on, man.

If you're Philly, and you think Geno Smith is a first round caliber talent at QB, do you pass on him in the second round? Michael Vick is 33, coming off a pretty lackluster year, and you'd think Geno's skill set fits Chip Kelly's offense better than Nick Foles. The Raiders and Cards entered the offseason as desperate for a QB as the Jets, and chose Matt Flynn and Carson Palmer, respectively, rather than rely on this draft.

I hope Geno's the bomb, but QBs generally fall to the second round for a reason.

You'll have to forgive me if I think that taking the consensus top QB prospect in the draft when he falls to you in the second round is something less than genius.

If you're Philly, and you think Geno Smith is a first round caliber talent at QB, do you pass on him in the second round? Michael Vick is 33, coming off a pretty lackluster year, and you'd think Geno's skill set fits Chip Kelly's offense better than Nick Foles. The Raiders and Cards entered the offseason as desperate for a QB as the Jets, and chose Matt Flynn and Carson Palmer, respectively, rather than rely on this draft.

I hope Geno's the bomb, but QBs generally fall to the second round for a reason.

This is pretty ingenious. If Geno hits, Idzik gets no credit because duh he was the consensus top QB prospect in the draft. If he busts, Idzik gets blamed for being dumber than the Raiders.

The real total failure of this franchise is overpaying and extending Sanchez and not getting a real QB.This franchise has been small-minded and stupid about what wins(just heard Wrecks extolling the Bucs" #5 ranked run defense; really?).It's a good QB, first, last, and above all. Tannenbaum's idiotic Sanchez contracts precluded making a move for Peyton Manning and Brees. ANd Wreck's defense first program didn't help.

We have 2 unknowns at QB right now, Simms and Smith. Either one of them is The Man going forward . And that should be the only job in 2013 with this awful a team. Priority One (after the inevitable firing of Wrecks in January) is getting a real QB either through the draft or free agency.We can judge Idzik off that.

This is pretty ingenious. If Geno hits, Idzik gets no credit because duh he was the consensus top QB prospect in the draft. If he busts, Idzik gets blamed for being dumber than the Raiders.

No, I'll give Idzik all the credit in the world if Geno works out. He took him when the rest of the league passed. He'll look smart and deserve the credit.

But if he busts, yeah, it's a different story.

Matt Flynn, Carson Palmer. In retrospect Flynn was a bad move, but at the time getting Flynn and then drafting a QB early wasn't really an option.

The Bills liked Manuel better, that's no knock on Geno.

With Vick and Foles, the Eagles were not needy enough to draft a QB in the first two rounds. Tampa wasn't drafting Josh Freeman's replacement that early either. They waited and took a shot on Glennon.

I'm not saying Geno is a great pick, but this particular reason is not a good one.

And don't remember Sperm saying that, and if he did, he'd be wrong.

IMO, his cap reducing moves were pretty common sense, and his veteran pickups have been poor. I completely understand the fact he's setting himself up for next year, but that doesn't excuse Garrard, Peterman, and Goodson. All I've said about that, though, is that his grade so far is an incomplete. The tearing down process is easy compared to the building process, and he really hasn't gotten to the building, yet. That happens next year, when he has the money.

Tanny sucking doesn't make Idzik better. And frankly, I'm much more impressed with him taking Sheldon Richardson with Star Lotulelei and Sharrif Floyd still on the board. That represented a little out of the box thinking, and Richardson looks like a player already. Of course, it's also funny to me that people used that pick to cry that Rex was still in charge of everything at the time. That was great!

You'll have to forgive me if I think that taking the consensus top QB prospect in the draft when he falls to you in the second round is something less than genius. The Jets telegraphed that pick, too, telling Geno that if he came back for the second round the team could guarantee he'd be selected. Despite that, no one opted to move ahead of the Jets to take him. So it's either luck that he dropped, or the Jets just valued him higher than the rest of league. Which is fine - as long as he pans put.

I'm not giving extra credit for not doing what Tannenbaum might've done. Tannenbaum is (thankfully) gone, and now Idzik gets compared to the other 31 people on the planet with his job title/responsibilities. Avoiding crippling guaranteed contracts to bad players and trading up in the draft is a start - but that's all it is, a start.

You contradict yourself.  You say Idzik's veteran pickups are poor and cite Peterman, Garrard and Goodson, then turn around and say his grade is incomplete.

I see you failed to respond to a number of points in my post.  Whatever.  It's all good.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

You contradict yourself.  You say Idzik's veteran pickups are poor and cite Peterman, Garrard and Goodson, then turn around and say his grade is incomplete.

I did not contradict myself. I recognize that Idzik is in year one of a two year rebuild project. He tried to fill a few spots this year on the cheap, and he missed. I'm not killing him on those moves, just taking note. He gets a grade next year when he has money to spend, and free reign on the coach issue. That's when the real building takes place.

I did not contradict myself. I recognize that Idzik is in year one of a two year rebuild project. He tried to fill a few spots this year on the cheap, and he missed. I'm not killing him on those moves, just taking note. He gets a grade next year when he has money to spend, and free reign on the coach issue. That's when the real building takes place.

LOL!  Whatever.  I see you still failed to address my other points.  That's because you know that you're wrong.

gfy

And quit whining about media coverage. You wanted it and you got it.

Touched a nerve did I?  The team I follow may not be the best team in the league, but at least mine wasn't embarrassed by being caught cheating and having a murderer on the team.  If you don't like it, you're perfectly free to leave the site.  No one will miss you when you're gone.

Chip Kelly has his eye on his 2 top recruits that are still in college, he recruited Manziel almost got Manziel to come to Oregon, and already had Marriota commited, if he has the chance to draft either of those 2 at the appropriate time he is gonna do back flips, I am not saying it will work out, but that is my thought on Kelly's QB thinking.

LOL!  Whatever.  I see you still failed to address my other points.  That's because you know that you're wrong.

If I thought you made a point, I responded to it. If I thought you failed to make a point, I simply ignored it. In your lengthy posts, I found much more of the latter. If there's something specific you'd like me to address, please describe it again -as briefly as possible for you- and I'll se what I can do.

Unfortunately, I think the real issue here is that you insist on debating with me as if I believe something that I don't believe. I can't help you there.

Archived