Geno's mechanics are off, says QB mentor Scott Brunner

Matt39

Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years, which is a luxury no Jets QB can afford. 

It's funny how many Sanchez haters are saying play Geno through the bad... it's like the franchise is just making the same mistakes over again. They gave this job to Geno like they gave it to Mark. Neither man earned it.

How does starting a not good QB against NFL defenses make him better? It only made Sanchez worse.  Maybe if there was a Matt Simms around that put Mark on the bench, his career wouldn't have gone down the toilet.

Please dude.  The team Sanchez starter for was a complete team with a superior offensive line.  Mark was posing in GQ before he took a snap.  He did not have the mental make up for it.  Let's hope Geno does. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I pointed out in my thread claiming Smith had issues with his mechanics, at this level fundamental Mechanics are not easily fixed. These are not the things very solid prospect rookie QB;s should be working on (that's why they fall in the draft) they should be working on the mental aspect of the game. Hence the common term "Rookie Mistake" ... Fundamental mistakes should not be mixed up with rookie or mental issues they are worlds apart and trust me one takes away from the other . Fundamental usually gets worked on in the offseason because coaches usually work on game planning and the general offense during the season preparing for games.

I'm really not trying to be negative but when you have been doing the same things for years and years it is very difficult to fix them mechanic wise. They are usually not a big issue in High School or in College and most of the time athletes do not get the proper tutelage they need because their athleticism wins games so coaches wont tweak them they just stroke the ego and keep winning. Its why so many winning college QB's don't even sniff the Pros. 

On the other hand guys with incredible mechanics like a Jeff George or a Jamarcus Russel just can't hack the Mental aspect. Some guys do it both right off the bat like  a Dan Marino.

Once again the biggest thing to learn at the NFL level is the Mental aspect its going to be hard for Geno to correct his flaws and I certainly hope he does.  

I think Geno already has a pretty good grip on the mental aspects.  HIs problem seems to be purely, or almost exclusively his fundamentals.  If he can get the time to focus on just those and not having to worry about game plans, reading Ds, scoring points, etc., with his athletic intelligence, athleticism and work ethic, he should be able to fix them with a quality QB coach like Lee.

There is no "should".  Training the body works the way it works.  One can't say that it "shouldn't" be that way.  That doesn't change the reality at all.  Repeating a bad habit/poor fundamental "reinforces" it regardless of the outcome since we're talking about muscle memory and not rational thought.

The rest of what you say is utter hogwash.  It shows a complete lack of understanding of what goes into preparation for games.

Everything I say is based on about 100 years of behavioral and learning research.  So, um, whatevs

actually this can go both ways.

He needs to really focus on his mechanics in practice+He needs to do these things in practice to commit them to muscle memory = he needs practice (snaps)

Starting qb = gets most practice (snaps)

sooo geno needs to improve his mechanics = be starting qb

yea im in favor of him starting. Its the practice that he needs to focus on then during games try applying something every week even if small into the games

it takes much more repetitions then you get in a game to commit something to muscle memory

an nba coach i had the pleasure of talking to once explained that you have to practice like you play. If geno is lax on his mechanics in practice because the defense isnt playing as tough and the receivers are wide open that is going to screw him up more then making bad decisions in the game

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding.  We have a winner.  Yes, the point of isolated, focused practice on only fundamentals is to ingrain them into muscle memory so they become one's new habits when playing.  They replace the old bad habits/fundamentals.  It takes focused work, many repetitions, working slowly at first, then gradually faster and faster.  It's very difficult for the mind to focus on more than one thing at a time.  If it's focusing on executing a play correctly, avoiding the pass rush, making a good read and completing the pass, one cannot be thinking of one's footwork, arm angle, etc.  Those things have to separated out and worked on individually and specifically.  Then once each of those things become ingrained as habits, one can start adding other, more complex things.

If I were the QB coach, I'd work Geno solely on taking the snap from under center with proper feet positioning, then after a time I'd add in dropping back 3 steps, slowly at first, then gradually working up to game speed.  After quite a few reps, I'd have him take the snap under center and work on his 5-step drops in the same way.  He still wouldn't be throwing the ball.  When he could cleanly, easily and naturally take the snap and make both a 3-step and 5-step drop 90-95% of the time, I'd start working on just his throwing posture/motion making sure his feet were the proper distance apart, not angled too much in one direction, and that he stepped into each throw correctly.  Once that became natural and consistent, I'd start combining it with both the 3-step and 5-step drops.  He'd have to consistently take the snap, make proper drops with correct footwork and step into his throws 90-95% of the time, then and only then would he start practicing the various plays and start thinking about playing again.

Everything I say is based on about 100 years of behavioral and learning research.  So, um, whatevs

BS.  Everything I say is based on 30+ years of actual experience teaching fundamentals and proper physical techniques and a masters degree.  It's what I do for a living.  So um, whatevs.

actually this can go both ways.

He needs to really focus on his mechanics in practice+He needs to do these things in practice to commit them to muscle memory = he needs practice (snaps)

Starting qb = gets most practice (snaps)

sooo geno needs to improve his mechanics = be starting qb

yea im in favor of him starting. Its the practice that he needs to focus on then during games try applying something every week even if small into the games

Practicing to execute plays is not the same thing as isolated practice on fundamentals.  It's also at game speed, not a slower speed where one can focus on just the fundamentals.  Just getting more practice reps and starting is NOT going to fix his fundamentals.

I was referring to people who decide to take lessons AFTER playing & deciding they like the "sport." Also in golf no one is doing something to alter what you're doing (there is no one playing defense to alter your stroke mid-swing).  But while most aren't very good at golf, it's also true that most don't take lesson after lesson and only then start to play round after round.  For a lot of people it's the exact opposite & most wish they'd "done it right" from the start.

Clearly you never saw Caddyshack 2.

It's moments like this that make me miss Rutgers so very badly.  You and Dabtesman are just fine but it's just not the same. Like undercooked bacon.  It;s still bacon, it's still good, but I still end up missing the crunch. 

Alas, that is what gchat is for.

We are measuring our dicks now?  Hold on.  Let me put it on the table.

FWIW, I think there are two sides to this and based upon the article I don't think the fact he is starting is necessarily going to harm him.  They seem to say that his mechanics are okay, but go to sh*t sometimes under pressure.  Hopefully he can correct it, but just running practice drills for muscle memory won't necessarily help that.  They indicate that he leaves the pocket and that is when things go wrong.  The stuff about him having too much weight on the front leg seems more of an every down thing, but they like the way the ball comes out so it seems pretty minor.

Practicing to execute plays is not the same thing as isolated practice on fundamentals.  It's also at game speed, not a slower speed where one can focus on just the fundamentals.  Just getting more practice reps and starting is NOT going to fix his fundamentals.

id tend to agree but i dont think it hurts either.

to fix his fundamentals during a game tho he has to practice fundamentals while at game speed. Just doing slow repetition does not help entirely  with muscle memory

id tend to agree but i dont think it hurts either.

to fix his fundamentals during a game tho he has to practice fundamentals while at game speed.

No, that's not how they're fixed.  They're fixed in isolated practice, then since they've become the new habit or muscle memory, and then one has practiced using that new muscle memory, that's what happens when one plays the game.  When one is playing in the game, one can't be having to think about fundamentals.  One is too busy trying to execute plays and win.

No, that's not how they're fixed.  They're fixed in isolated practice, then since they've become the new habit or muscle memory, and then one has practiced using that new muscle memory, that's what happens when one plays the game.  When one is playing in the game, one can't be having to think about fundamentals.  One is too busy trying to execute plays and win.

muscle memory in slow motion does not entirely equal muscle memory at game speed.

Thats exactly i was talking about practicing like you play. In basketball many people practice with slow shots because no one is defending them. Then you look at someone like ray allen where his practice shots are his game shots.

Repetition in practice only works if you can apply it to the game. Muscle memory with doing it fast

of course this doesnt work if you cant do it fast then you do a slow practice but thats what walk throughs/off days should be for

muscle memory in slow motion does not entirely equal muscle memory at game speed.

Thats exactly i was talking about practicing like you play. In basketball many people practice with slow shots because no one is defending them. Then you look at someone like ray allen where his practice shots are his game shots.

Repetition in practice only works if you can apply it to the game. Muscle memory with doing it fast

of course this doesnt work if you cant do it fast then you do a slow practice but thats what walk throughs/off days should be for

I didn't say ONLY muscle memory in slow motion.  That's how one begins, then gets faster and faster.  Then once that is working, you add in other components and gradually increase the speed until you're practicing at game speed.  

I didn't say ONLY muscle memory in slow motion.  That's how one begins, then gets faster and faster.  Then once that is working, you add in other components and gradually increase the speed until you're practicing at game speed.  

yea exactly but i figured a professional athlete would have that down by now. Thats what the offseason is for. The practices during the season are for preparing for the game.

i woulda hoped he did what your saying during the offseason and now needs to practice at game speed to commit it to muscle memory and get used to it. Just a matter of reps but if hes that far behind id question his work ethic

This is exactly what Geno Smith needs more articles questioning him as a starter and now his mechanics. Holy lord this article is BS. Brunner gets a free ad for his business to boot.

Ray Allen has perfect form and when you have perfect form speed doesn't matter as much as confidence and not being worried about getting hit as he shoots.

This is exactly what Geno Smith needs more articles questioning him as a starter and now his mechanics. Holy lord this article is BS. Brunner gets a free ad for his business to boot.

Ray Allen has perfect form and when you have perfect form speed doesn't matter as much as confidence and not being worried about getting hit as he shoots.

not sure how this applys but ray allen has one of the quickest release on his jump shot in the nba

that being said tho the article is perfectly valid because he backs up with claims with real observations not just opinions.

not sure how this applys but ray allen has one of the quickest release on his jump shot in the nba

that being said tho the article is perfectly valid because he backs up with claims with real observations not just opinions.

Ray Allen has perfect form, if he didn't it wouldn't matter how fast or slow his release was because it wouldn't go in the hoop.

The article is BS because the Jets have coaches who coach Geno, no one except for bored fans would care about this article. Brunner cares because he gets to mention his BS camp.

Ray Allen has perfect form, if he didn't it wouldn't matter how fast or slow his release was because it wouldn't go in the hoop.

The article is BS because the Jets have coaches who coach Geno, no one except for bored fans would care about this article. Brunner cares because he gets to mention his BS camp.

If his shot was slow itd get blocked........ there is the problem with people who only practice slowly for "form" shooting in a street by urself is cool but if you actually want to play it matters

This article breaks down what a qb coach would look at. For fans this is pretty cool. The jets qb doesnt normally come around and explain what whent wrong does he?

If his shot was slow itd get blocked........

This article breaks down what a qb coach would look at. For fans this is pretty cool. The jets qb doesnt normally come around and explain what whent wrong does he?

If there is zero form the shot never would go in over 20%. Ray Allen's perfect form is perfection and he has a quick release but also understands the game. Big difference than just simply have a fast release.

The article is something that should of been written about Smith as a draft prospect not as a starting QB in the league. Brunner was a back up and now has a sweet gig and jumped at the shot to announce where he has his business to help all the QB's in the NJ/NY area.

If there is zero form the shot never would go in over 20%. Ray Allen's perfect form is perfection and he has a quick release but also understands the game. Big difference than just simply have a fast release.

The article is something that should of been written about Smith as a draft prospect not as a starting QB in the league. Brunner was a back up and now has a sweet gig and jumped at the shot to announce where he has his business to help all the QB's in the NJ/NY area.

obviously its different but like i said you have to practice fundamentals at game speed. To often people just focus on form and take forever to set up so they can make 7 three pointers in a row while warming up but cant hit a shot during the game.

This is the nfl tho its not like hes going back to college tape. Smith had success in college and now with tighter windows he has been exposed. A int that happened during last week may have been a touchdown in college nfl is a different animal

obviously its different but like i said you have to practice fundamentals at game speed. To often people just focus on form and take forever to set up so they can make 7 three pointers in a row while warming up but cant hit a shot during the game.

This is the nfl tho its not like hes going back to college tape. Smith had success in college and now with tighter windows he has been exposed. A int that happened during last week may have been a touchdown in college nfl is a different animal

Sorry, did not want to argue the point to death. I thought Geno threw off his back foot and flat footed a few times.

Shoooting a basketball and throwing a football are similar when it comes to having perfect form, it's useless if you do have confidence.

Archived