Here is what the Jets are missing!

Lupz27

Gotta see of Rex is staying next year, and if not what type of D we will run, if its a 4-3 I would guess the Jets move, or release D Harris insert D Davis as starting MLB, and go out, and sign 1 OLB, and draft another possibly pretty high (2nd round) while moving Coples back to DE, and use Wilkerson on the other end the 1st 2 downs with Richardson, and Snacks inside, and moving Wilkerson inside for Snacks on passing downs, and bringing in a situational DE pass rusher (probably not on the roster now, more than likely will be a Veteran FA pickup).

With Rex staying its not that big a deal, the Jets play more of a 5-2 D on running downs, and a 3-3-5, or 3-2-6 on passing downs anyway, and Rex wants to the 2 guys on the ends of the 5-2 to be more of a run containment assignment then a big play/rush the passer type of player.

I also think if Rex stays the Jets sign Ed Reed to a 1 year deal if they feel he will get healthier (probably a mistake) like it, or not. At Reed's age it could take well over a year to fully heal if its a fully heal able type injury. He has played hard, and beat up his body, but if he can learn his limits, and accept the fact he isn't the same player speed wise he once was, I think he could adapt into a decent FS for 1, or 2 more years, but if he still thinks he can under cut rocket passes, and layout dudes on crazy angles he will find himself picking his head up of the turf to see the receivers dancing in the end zone an awful lot.

I don't really disagree with anything you say, but they still NEED an OLB.  Pace is aging and does not look good.  The way I read what you wrote, they need 2 OLBs if Rex is gone and one if he stays.  You can count the numbers all you like 4-3, 5-2, 3-4, but Pace, McIntyre and Barnes are not guys we want on the field every down. 

For the guys who want to add Speed, and size to this offense you have to commit almost a whole draft to change the whole dynamic, and be patient with them for 2-3 years.

2 scenarios for you with our 1st 5 picks, 1 with a 1st round QB, and 1 with no QB.

Rd 1. QB D Carr/J Manziel, if the Jets keep losing they will get a shot to draft one of these 2.

Rd 2. WR J Matthews

Rd 3. WR B Cooks

Rd 3. WR/RB/KR Dri Archer

Rd 4. TE C Lyerla (huge risk reward type of pick, with huge character issues)

This draft gets you a franchise QB (not saying it works out, but you have to think it as a Jets front office man to make the pick), a large possession WR who can go up, and catch balls in traffic with his hands, and also has above average speed in Matthews, a speed stretch the field, and good route running, reliable hands, and score from anywhere when hit in stride type WR with Cooks, I already explained the Archer pick, and the wildcard Lyerla, large fast physical TE in the mold of A Hernandez, he also comes with character issues like Hernandez did, he was considered a early 2nd round talent before he quit the team this year (I don't know exactly why he did, but he was fine under Chip Kelly).

Scenario 2

Rd 1. WR M Evans

Rd 2. RB L Seastrunk

Next 3 picks the same.

This draft swaps out the potential franchise QB, and Large possession WR for a Large huge playmaking WR, and a M Lynch with possibly more speed type of RB!

I don't really disagree with anything you say, but they still NEED an OLB.  Pace is aging and does not look good.  The way I read what you wrote, they need 2 OLBs if Rex is gone and one if he stays.  You can count the numbers all you like 4-3, 5-2, 3-4, but Pace, McIntyre and Barnes are not guys we want on the field every down.

My point with Rex staying is he doesn't value that position to highly, and wants someone who is responsible to hold the edge, and contain the outside to force the run inside where his bigs can swallow it up, so Rex wants more experienced veteran type players at that position, and then yanks them off the field when it's a passing down, and replaces them with situational rushers, or DB's who blitz.

But yes of we make the switch to a 4-3 we will probably have to either draft one high, or pay in FA for one, but it's been so long since the Jets ran a 4-3 I forget if those OLB's are that important in the overall scheme of your Defense, I would assume they would need to cover a TE, or RB, and have good zone defensive instincts, in today's NFL it almost sounds like you would field 3 SS's in the 4-3.

Yep. Looks like Trindon Holliday.

If he flops at the combine you will probably be correct, but if he breaks, or approaches Chris Johnson's 40 time which he stated is his goal, then I don't see him getting out of the 3rd round, and he has stated he prefers to run between the tackles, and likes running in high traffic areas like kick off, and punt returns, and really doesn't look to go outside unless its clearly the best option.

Holliday doesn't have any of the skills Archer posses either football wise, he was a track star put on a football field, Archer is a football player who can run like a track star, very big difference!

So you think he'll fall to the 6th because he compares favorably to probably the best KR on the planet? Holliday is listed as 5-5, 169....even SMALLER than this kid (in fact, Holliday is the smallest player in the NFL).

The best kick returner on the planet changes every year, and is only worth a sixth rounder, yes.

Every draft there's players like this and I can't remember one that's made it in the NFL.

Undersized, speed demon, small school.

Kent St is not a small school thou, last year they went 11-2, were being considered a team that could be a Boise St BCS buster until they lost in I think their 10th game, and were ranked 23rd in the Coaches poll at the years end.

They played LSU, and Penn St. This year, and a Confrence USA schedule, not the Montana St. or Momouth U.

Kent St is not a small school thou, last year they went 11-2, were being considered a team that could be a Boise St BCS buster until they lost in I think their 10th game, and were ranked 23rd in the Coaches poll at the years end.

They played LSU, and Penn St. This year, and a Confrence USA schedule, not the Montana St. or Momouth U.

Fair enough

Jack Lambert was the best player from there and there's been a handful of good players. Kent State isn't a major football college but it's also not D2.

Fair enough

Jack Lambert was the best player from there and there's been a handful of good players. Kent State isn't a major football college but it's also not D2.

Our very owns Josh Cribbs, and Brian Winters also, not to mention James Harrison, and Antonio Gates, but he played basketball not football, among others, I posted here earlier.

And it really doesn't matter what D1 school you attend if your voted 1st team D1 all American IMO.

Archived