Missing Playoffs Provides For Young Players to Showcase Skills

flgreen

Jets links: Missing playoffs provides chances for lower-profile players to showcase skills

Jets backup safety Josh Bush hasn't seen much action since the preseason, when the Jets played the Giants.

Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger By Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger

on December 21, 2013 at 5:00 AM, updated December 21, 2013 at 5:06 AM

You haven’t heard much from Jets safety Josh Bush this season. That’s because he is behind Dawan Landry on the depth chart, and Landry almost never comes off the field.

But in the Jets’ final two games of a withering season, they plan to look more closely at young players like Bush, a sixth-round draft pick out of Wake Forest last year.

The Jets don’t have anything to play for, in terms of this season. They are 6-8, having lost four of their past five games coming out of their bye week. They will not make the playoffs.

Of course, maybe they could save coach Rex Ryan’s job by winning their final two games – home against Cleveland, at Miami – to finish 8-8. Before the season, most people would not have expected the Jets to finish with eight wins.

Or maybe first-year general manager John Idzik and owner Woody Johnson have already decided that Idzik will get to pick his own coach for next season. It seems less likely that they’ve already decided they will retain Ryan, but that is certainly a possibility.

Either way, these final two games will provide a glimpse of guys who could play a part in the Jets’ future, regardless of whether Ryan is around in 2014.

Only in fans heads do teams intentionally lose for draft position. This is like The Hunger Games for Rex and Rod Chudzinski.

Steve Young was on the radio this week talking about the last game of the season with the Bucs in 1986 when they faced the Cardinals with the loser winning first pick and Vinny Testaverde. And simply knowing both teams were firing coaches and gutting rosters while most of the players were professionals he acknowledhged there were players who openly talked on the field about not hurting anyone. Vai Sikehema of the Cards set a record for punt return yardage and had 2 PR TDs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198612210crd.htm

Only in fans heads do teams intentionally lose for draft position. This is like The Hunger Games for Rex and Rod Chudzinski.

OK, openly TANKING, maybe not, MAYBE, but trying NOT to get hurt, Absolutely. Do you want to spend your entire off season limping around, laying on your back, arm in a sling? Hell no, you want to play 36everyday, chase hot babes at South beach, travel to Cancun or Buenos Aires.

Sorry, these guys are humans just like fans, and they know they are playing for basically NOTHING, oh except a draft pick that could finally land you that Franchise QB you so desperately need and have not had since Joe Namath, and Bernie Kosar respectively.

Yeah, good luck Rex keeping "Tone" focused on this game.

RUN THE BALL. GROUND AND POUND.NO TURNOVERS. PASSING IS EVIL.

Or how about,

OFFENSE? Who needs it, MY DEFENSE can win these games

MARK gives us the best chance to win

MOST teams dont want to play us.

I think SPARANO is doing a great job.

I like the way GENO is progressing.

Were starting to come together on OFFENSE.

Oh great, so the Jets are going to play the backups? I'm glad I've spent money on tickets and energy on watching them this season. Woody Johnson, your team sucks, and you expect us to pay full price for two games that will be equivalent to preseason games?

Here's an idea - if Santonio Holmes expects another contract, how about Rex makes him play the last two games, instead of milking a hamstring injury or throwing a tantrum in the huddle and taking himself off of the playing field?

Regarding whether Rex should be fired or not, let me take a quick poll - how many people here are sick of watching the Jets score only 3 to 7 points per game, and demonstrating complete ineptitude on offense for the past three seasons? Sorry, but that ultimately falls on Rex Ryan. Results still do mean something.

How about Idzik actually makes intelligent moves this offseason? How about rather than trying to fix the Jets receiving woes by signing David Nelson and Greg Salas, how about you sign someone with talent, like Eric Decker?

Or how about,

OFFENSE? Who needs it, MY DEFENSE can win these games

MARK gives us the best chance to win

MOST teams dont want to play us.

I think SPARANO is doing a great job.

I like the way GENO is progressing.

Were starting to come together on OFFENSE.

Yesterday he said Geno is improving in ways that do not show up in the boxscore. What could that be-tying his shoes? Not ending sentences with prepositions? Helping Wrecks order Chinese takeout? WTF does it even mean? If the improvement is not measurable it's not improvement. Smith has only cut down on turnovers because they barely throw the ball except out of total desperation. Which means he sucks and the CS has zero confidence in him.

Yesterday he said Geno is improving in ways that do not show up in the boxscore. What could that be-tying his shoes? Not ending sentences with prepositions? Helping Wrecks order Chinese takeout? WTF does it even mean? If the improvement is not measurable it's not improvement. Smith has only cut down on turnovers because they barely throw the ball except out of total desperation. Which means he sucks and the CS has zero confidence in him.

Rex has tons of "experience" in this line of questioning. For 4 years as Sanchez put up Historically bad numbers, Rex kept telling us how much Mark was improving, that he's making better decisions, that he's being smarter with the ball, that his accyracy is improving and on and on and on ad nauseum,YET all this time SANCHEZ was putting up LEAF and WAREesque type numbers.

Its really sad that this guy is so INSECURE in his job after 5 years that he cant get up their like say a PARCELLS and tell us what he really thinks. Parcells first would never have left SANCHEZ in their 4 years with those types of performances and by some toatal loss of brain function, if he did, at least at each press conference he would have told you how BAD Sanchez is and was.

No Rex, because of his insecurity, especially with a new GM just itching to whack him, will get up there and compare GENO to Peyton and not even blink. Its really quite sad that he has been reduced to a groveling, beaten down man.

I just want to mention that your work recently has been stellar, only thing better is how many people don't get it

Archived