February Jets 5 round Mock Draft

Lupz27

Mocking the Jets first 5 rounds of the 2014 draft pre Scouting Combine...

Round 1, pick 18, S Calvin Pryor, Louisville

Round 2, pick 49, OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA

Round 3, pick 69, WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt

Round 3, pick 80, CB, Jason Verrett, TCU

Round 4, pick 111 (depending on comp picks awarded in RD 3 could be 112-114), RB, Charles Sims, West Virginia

Round 5, pick 142 (again depending on awarded comp picks in rds 3, and 4 could be in the 150 range), OLB, Christian Kirksey, Iowa

Round 5 (Compensation pick), pick 170-180 (depending on other comp picks, and such), KR/PR/RB/WR, Dri Archer, Kent St.

Round 5 (Compensation pick), pick 170-180 (depending on other comp picks, and such), TE, Colt Lyerla, Oregon

Think this is a nice BAP draft for the Jets, all players are superior athletes with speed, and/or physical.  Matthews dropping to the early 3rd might be a reach, but with all the WR's someone has to fall, and if he doesn't run that great of a 40 it could be him.

Sims is being compared to Matt Forte, Geno Smith is familiar with him, and he is possibly the best recieving back in the draft, something MM will be looking for.  Kirksey had a very good senior bowl, and has the speed to cover from the outside, and be an effective blitzer.  Verrett would be a steal in the 3rd round IMO, could be the best man cover CB with a little coaching in this draft.  Dri Archer is my personal favorite mid to late round Kick, and Punt returner/playmaker something the Jets desperatly need.  Colt Lyerla has 1st to 2nd round talent, but serious character issues, and if the Jets are awarded a 2nd 5th round comp pick, or he is still available with our 6th rounder he would be a great huge upside gamble to get that type of talent at TE instead of using a 1st, or 2nd in this draft.

Both Calvin Pryor, and Su'a Filo can start from day 1 at positions of need, and Matthews can be an immediate part of the rotation at WR.

Cant say I love it. Pryor can be a non-glass Bob Sanders, I like Matthew and Archer, but otherwise not blown away. Lyerla is an assshole, Filo could be bigger, Sims could be more of a badass...Don't know much about the corner but TCU is a decent school lately.

Jimmie Ward seems to be a hot name for safeties. Hes so hot right now, Jimmie Ward.

What's the plan at TE in this scenario? Lyerla obviously can't be relied on to do much of anything with his off the field issues and the fact that he hasn't played football since the beginning of the season. And he wasn't overly productive even when he did play.

What's the plan at TE in this scenario? Lyerla obviously can't be relied on to do much of anything with his off the field issues and the fact that he hasn't played football since the beginning of the season. And he wasn't overly productive even when he did play.

Re-Sign Cumberland, and pick up a mid level FA, TE market is going to be fairly decent, a guy like Pettigrew, Miller, maybe Gresham shakes loose, also Sudfeld will get a chance in camp, who knows maybe the improvement from year 1 to year 2 could be good enough to justify Cumby, Sudfeld, and Lyerla, and if you see it's not going to work mid camp you go out, and bring in that Vet like Winslow back (worst case scenario).

I would be shocked thou if the Jets went into the draft without a proven veteran like Gresham, or Miller (maybe not those 2, but someone in their class) on the roster, Idzik made it very clear he will fill needs in Free Agency, and draft for talent.

Cant say I love it. Pryor can be a non-glass Bob Sanders, I like Matthew and Archer, but otherwise not blown away. Lyerla is an assshole, Filo could be bigger, Sims could be more of a badass...Don't know much about the corner but TCU is a decent school lately.

Jimmie Ward seems to be a hot name for safeties. Hes so hot right now, Jimmie Ward.

Non glass Bob Sanders means not injury prone version of him, if so where do I sign dude was a dominant difference maker the few games played healthy, he was probably more of the reason why the Colts won the Super Bowl than Manning that year, worst ranked run D, he plays in the playoffs, and all of a sudden it was impossible to run on them. 6'3" 305lbs, and athletically mobile seems plenty big for me, after that it's more preference in the 3-5 round talent.

Mocking the Jets first 5 rounds of the 2014 draft pre Scouting Combine...

Round 1, pick 18, S Calvin Pryor, Louisville

Round 2, pick 49, OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA

Round 3, pick 69, WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt

Round 3, pick 80, CB, Jason Verrett, TCU

Round 4, pick 111 (depending on comp picks awarded in RD 3 could be 112-114), RB, Charles Sims, West Virginia

Round 5, pick 142 (again depending on awarded comp picks in rds 3, and 4 could be in the 150 range), OLB, Christian Kirksey, Iowa

Round 5 (Compensation pick), pick 170-180 (depending on other comp picks, and such), KR/PR/RB/WR, Dri Archer, Kent St.

Round 5 (Compensation pick), pick 170-180 (depending on other comp picks, and such), TE, Colt Lyerla, Oregon

Think this is a nice BAP draft for the Jets, all players are superior athletes with speed, and/or physical. Matthews dropping to the early 3rd might be a reach, but with all the WR's someone has to fall, and if he doesn't run that great of a 40 it could be him.

Sims is being compared to Matt Forte, Geno Smith is familiar with him, and he is possibly the best recieving back in the draft, something MM will be looking for. Kirksey had a very good senior bowl, and has the speed to cover from the outside, and be an effective blitzer. Verrett would be a steal in the 3rd round IMO, could be the best man cover CB with a little coaching in this draft. Dri Archer is my personal favorite mid to late round Kick, and Punt returner/playmaker something the Jets desperatly need. Colt Lyerla has 1st to 2nd round talent, but serious character issues, and if the Jets are awarded a 2nd 5th round comp pick, or he is still available with our 6th rounder he would be a great huge upside gamble to get that type of talent at TE instead of using a 1st, or 2nd in this draft.

Both Calvin Pryor, and Su'a Filo can start from day 1 at positions of need, and Matthews can be an immediate part of the rotation at WR.

Only problem is matthews is to good to be there in the third

Archived