Katy Perry To Perform During Super Bowl Halftime Show

Ken Schroy

Pop star Katy Perry will be the halftime performer at Super Bowl XLIX, according to multiple reports.

ncf_katyperryleecorso_ms_288x162.jpg
Allen Kee/ESPN ImagesKaty Perry, who recently appeared on ESPN's "College GameDay," reportedly has committed to Super Bowl XLIX.

The game will be played Feb. 1, in Glendale, Arizona.

The Wall Street Journal reported in August that Perry, Rihanna and Coldplay were asked if they were interested in playing the Super Bowl. The newspaper also had reported that the NFL was looking for artists to pay up to perform at the game, which draws massive ratings.

Perry, in an appearance on ESPN's "College GameDay" on Saturday, said she's "not the kind of girl to pay to play the Super Bowl."

A record 111.5 million viewers watched last season's Super Bowl between the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos, during which Bruno Mars performed at the half.

Unlike most years I can't really knock this choice too much.  She's maybe the biggest pop star out there (I think she has like 10 or so number one hits in her career). 

Meanwhile, even though rock groups tend to be a million times better for a live TV audience than pop, the Super Bowl Halftime Show has shifted away from rock now that there is a lack of visible rock groups that appeal to people under 30.  You can't exactly attract much interest from the female audience with, say, Soundgarden.  The 90's was kind of a "man's decade" for rock music as opposed to the hair metal 80's.  Bon Jovi would have made a lot of sense last year in NJ but they stupidly went with Bruno Mars.

At least we'll have some boobs to look at and stuff.

I am wondering was Katy Perry on the short list ? Wasn't NFL looking for the the performers to pay them something.

Wonder if Katy Perry was on the short list and if she or her music company are paying the NFL something for being able to perform at halftime.

She has more money than just about any pop star at this point.  It's a drop in the bucket for her.

Unlike most years I can't really knock this choice too much. She's maybe the biggest pop star out there (I think she has like 10 or so number one hits in her career).

Meanwhile, even though rock groups tend to be a million times better for a live TV audience than pop, the Super Bowl Halftime Show has shifted away from rock now that there is a lack of visible rock groups that appeal to people under 30. You can't exactly attract much interest from the female audience with, say, Soundgarden. The 90's was kind of a "man's decade" for rock music as opposed to the hair metal 80's. Bon Jovi would have made a lot of sense last year in NJ but they stupidly went with Bruno Mars.

At least we'll have some boobs to look at and stuff.

I thought Bruno was better than the game. Never really heard his music before that and it was much better than I expected.

I thought Bruno was better than the game. Never really heard his music before that and it was much better than I expected.

Well that's not saying much since the game was the worst in many years, but yeah, he did beat expectations I suppose.  That whole Super Bowl experience was miserable even though it was in NYC, so everything took a step down in my mind.

I don't care nearly as much about the Super Bowl halftime show as the NFL wants me to.

Football fans are not their target audience for the halftime show (or really even the entire Super Bowl as an event itself).  They don't care.  The draft, preseason, 17 weeks of the regular season and all the playoff games are for us.  The Super Bowl entirely caters to the females.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_halftime_shows

its really interesting to look at this list and look how drastically american culture has changed in the past 30 years

we went from disney and show tunes to medleys in the 80's and 90's to huge dinosaur rock groups in the 2000's to mindless bubble gum BS this decade

what a vapid culture we have become

Archived