Poll - Do you think Eric Mangini will ever get another HC job in the NFL?

TuscanyTile2

28 members have voted

1. 1. Well, will he?

I realize this but if you were a DC before he needed to add some of his theories to stabilize a weak D.

I guess my point is he wasn't much of a DC to begin with...

I know what you are saying, and I agree to an extent.

I just don't think you NEED to be a genius on one side of the ball to be a great HC. I think you need to be a great leader, and you need to be able to recognize talent. Those are the two things that make a great HC.

You need to be able to recognize talented coordinators, and talented players, and lead. If you can do those things, you don't need to be a mastermind on one side of the ball. Rex does not seem to have either of those two skills, he makes up for it to an extent because he is a very good defensive mind, but he is still highly limited and will never be anything more than a mediocre HC.

amazing how credit and blames gets tossed around between the HC and GM as if we have any idea what actually happens

i'm sure it is more or less a partnership approach, but the GM has final say on everything (except QB, every owner meddles in that, don't fool yourself it's not just woody) 

I remember mangini's first press conference he reminded me of those corporate kiss asses who just spew jargon and cliches and business school mumbo jumbo, the guy who interviews great but eventually doesn't work out

the jets tried to get belicheat via osmosis

doesn't work that way

I know what you are saying, and I agree to an extent.

I just don't think you NEED to be a genius on one side of the ball to be a great HC. I think you need to be a great leader, and you need to be able to recognize talent. Those are the two things that make a great HC.

You need to be able to recognize talented coordinators, and talented players, and lead. If you can do those things, you don't need to be a mastermind on one side of the ball. Rex does not seem to have either of those two skills, he makes up for it to an extent because he is a very good defensive mind, but he is still highly limited and will never be anything more than a mediocre HC.

I agree in general but Mangini did fail in Cleveland. I guess the comparison is both weren't DC's long yet got HC jobs.

I am so down on this team!

The revisionist glorification of the 49ers tight end coach never fails to amaze me.

I am not sure anyone is glorifying him. I certainly am not.

Jet fans like to say how its much more about the talent than the coaches, and Mangini left the Jets with a far, far more talented team than Rex will have, should Rex be fired at the end of the year this year.

Not sure that is really debatable. Mangini was hired too young, and had bad flaws, but I personally believe he was a better HC than Rex, but neither are anything more than mediocre to me.

I am not sure anyone is glorifying him. I certainly am not.

Jet fans like to say how its much more about the talent than the coaches, and Mangini left the Jets with a far, far more talented team than Rex will have, should Rex be fired at the end of the year this year.

Not sure that is really debatable. Mangini was hired too young, and had bad flaws, but I personally believe he was a better HC than Rex, but neither are anything more than mediocre to me.

This idea that Mangini left behind this immensely talented team is just false. D'Brick, Mangold, and Revis were solid to great picks, but he also was on hand for Vernon Gholston. He went 4-12 in his second season, and only won 9 games the following year because of Brett Favre - who he did not leave behind.

He was a terrible coach, and his talent evaluating skills are beyond overblown. That's why this detail-orientated genius team builder is a nothing more than a tight end coach.

This idea that Mangini left behind this immensely talented team is just false. D'Brick, Mangold, and Revis were solid to great picks, but he also was on hand for Vernon Gholston. He went 4-12 in his second season, and only won 9 games the following year because of Brett Favre - who he did not leave behind.

He was a terrible coach, and his talent evaluating skills are beyond overblown. That's why this detail-orientated genius team builder is a nothing more than a tight end coach.

Mangini had winning seasons in 2/3's of his seasons. Your hero Rex, has had winning seasons in 2/6, with Mangini's team for his 2 winning seasons. As soon as he decided to allow the line to go to crap so that he can try to recreate the 85 Bears to atone for his Daddy's lack of recognition, it was over.

Mangini left a team that was talented enough to win with Mark Sanchez, the Rookie as a starting QB, because they were one of the best running teams of the past 10 years.

This team would have been immensely better off had they kept Mangini right now. Mind you, it would not be great, maybe not even good, but it would not be this diarrhea orgy of a team that Rex and Idzik have built together.

This post, considering the sycophantic love of Rex, amuses to no end.

This post, considering the sycophantic love of Rex, amuses to no end.

I don't love Rex. i like him. He's gone soon, and I'm fine with that. It's time. 

Mangini was one of the worst coaches to ever coach a football team that has also been coached by Rich Kotite (also once touted for his talent acquiring skills) and Lou Holtz. The guy was terrible. The dreamy-eyed admiration this tight end coach gets is simply amazing to me. 

Archived