Vick: Maybe We Would Have Won More If I Started Earlier

flgreen

it's not that complicated. the best player should play. Regardless of contract, or what the team hopes happens or whatever. If Nick Mangold isn't the best center he shouldn't be the center. 

Geno Smith should have been in an open competition with Mike Vick. That's how football teams should be run. Players should win their spot not have them given to them in some sort of coronation. 

note this all assumes winning games is better than losing them. Many fans seem to think the team needs to go 0-16 to get to the promised land.

The guy came into the league nowhere near ready to play at the NFL level, and was thrown into the lineup prematurely as a result of Sanchez's injury (yes, that was Rex's fault). But he did finish last year (relatively) strong, and with an otherwise crap roster, it was worth it to give him a long look this year and see if he was gonna build on that, or regress. Michael Vick might've won another couple games here, but he -with his 5.2 ypa and 5 fumbles so far this year- wasn't going to drag this roster into the post season.

Now they know that they have to address the long term QB situation for certain. If Vick had started the year, they may not've known that.

That's worth something.

Let's face it, you're Vick's biggest fan here, and I doubt that even you expect him to last the season. He was never gonna be the answer.

you're right that if he started 16 odds are he wouldn't last. you're also right that it was the smart move to start geno, IF the jets really didn't know he sucked yet. My point is that a lot of people already knew he was too dumb to play the position at the NFL level--wish the jets were earlier with their evaluation.

Parcells was a pretty crappy GM, so is Idzik.

This pining for Mark Sanchez stuff definitely feels like troll bait to me. The idea that they didn't invest in him is ludicrous. The massive extension that Tannenbaum gave him is the primary reason he's gone now. I'll give you this: his development was completely mismanaged. Rex shares blame in that, no doubt, but let's not forget that Tannenbaum and the rest of the Jets brain trust at the time loved Brian Schottenheimer (the runner-up for the head coaching position when Rex was hired) and they basically saddled Rex with him.

Rex then put the final nail in the coffin with the Sparano hire. That was Sanchez's last chance, but he had no chance under Sparano. No one did. It looked like he might get another last chance with Morhinweg, but again, that was cut short in the Snoopy Bowl. It's a pretty lonely position to take to suggest that the team should've retained Mark, and gone into this year with him and Geno as your QBs. Sanchez blooper-reeled himself out of here. It was the right move for the team, and the right move for him.

I always thought he was a guy who could get it together later in his career a la Rich Gannon. If he gets it together sooner, good for him. I like the kid, but his time was done here.

Parcells: Say what you want about his GM abilities (it was his first attempt, he was a rookie) but at least he would know who to reach out to in NFL circles for advice and who to tap as a HC, AC, OC, etc. in our upcoming FO shakeup.

Sanchez: No bait, I just believe he was the best QB prospect I've seen since being a hardcore fan in 1978 and how we destroyed him is the biggest under-the-rug tragedy in Jet history.

SAR I

if vick started day one I think we maybe beat GB, Det, Chi, Den, NE, aka 6-4, or 7-3. We still need QB of future, but many of our early 'less than 8 pt losses' were Geno Playbook IQ/zero progression understanding inflicted. It was obvious on several occasions  vs Pitt. Vick calmly saw the 2nd/3rd option, something we NEVER saw w/Geno. Geno ran backwards like a scared Deer when Primary covered :(

But who knows, we could be 0-10, :)

many many folks who i respect and IMHO know the XsOs game been saying this from preseason. Why Jets got fooled by last 4 2013  games vs mediocre teams baffles me. He sucked b4 those games and after those 4 games.

i

plus u notice how vick, when primary covered, looked thru progressions, then if no one open, looked for a run lane.

geno may never strat another NGL games (unless via injury) due to his inability to get past his primary WR in his Progression Tree reads.

Bill Walsh would have cut him before 1st preseason game.

nice read on progression skills:

http://grantland.com/features/how-new-class-promising-nfl-quarterbacks-reach-greatness/

How would Vick's presence have prevented the Jets defense from giving the lead right back after a Jets score? They did it against GB, Chicago and Detroit. Right after the Jets closed to a one score game the defense gave it right back - and quickly. How would Vick have prevented that I wonder? Maybe he would have gone in as a DB and secured an interception. He seems to think he is Superman so why not?

How would Vick's presence have prevented the Jets defense from giving the lead right back after a Jets score? They did it against GB, Chicago and Detroit. Right after the Jets closed to a one score game the defense gave it right back - and quickly. How would Vick have prevented that I wonder? Maybe he would have gone in as a DB and secured an interception. He seems to think he is Superman so why not?

Vick is an injury-prone turnover machine who occasionally throws a nice dart.

Better than Geno Smith? Definitely. But a better record than 2-8? Nope. Our opponents were just too tough and as you say it was our Defense that let us down far more than our QB did.

SAR I

Vick is an injury-prone turnover machine who occasionally throws a nice dart.

Better than Geno Smith? Definitely. But a better record than 2-8? Nope. Our opponents were just too tough and as you say it was our Defense that let us down far more than our QB did.

SAR I

Yep you are on point  2-8

1) Vick would be on injured reserve by now

2) Jet Def has been soft in many losses

3) Vick is a turnover machine as well, he doesn't have much left in tank.

4) Geno actually played well vs Pats

it's not that complicated. the best player should play. Regardless of contract, or what the team hopes happens or whatever. If Nick Mangold isn't the best center he shouldn't be the center. 

Geno Smith should have been in an open competition with Mike Vick. That's how football teams should be run. Players should win their spot not have them given to them in some sort of coronation. 

note this all assumes winning games is better than losing them. Many fans seem to think the team needs to go 0-16 to get to the promised land.

yeah and they point to one example "the colts! the colts!" as full support for their so-called plan. you don't tell professional athletes to lose on purpose. if you try to lose on purpose by poor schemeing/playcalling they will know. no faster way to ruin a team's psyche.

Archived