I Miss Germany

The Gun Of Bavaria

So I'm sitting here bored out of my mind and decided to play some tunes while I post and debate wether Bradway is going to make Scott Baio our next HC.

So I pull up my music program and use AutoDJ to make a playlist for me. I kid u not my current playlist is all songs from my days over in Germany.

I miss that place man. I miss the terrain, scenery, sights, foot, drink and the people. I miss driving like a wildman on the Autobahn, doing 120 to go to lunch and bitching and moaning when some slow guy is in front only going 95. I miss clubbing til 6 am and walking out to see the sun rising. The history, the buildings, the closeness of the German community and people. I miss beer being cheaper then soda. I miss being a weekend trip away from 500 years of history.

I'll never leave the States but Germany has a special place in my heart. I'll never forget being over there before I got married. My German neighbors who barely knew me let alone English adopted me. Bringing me breakfast when I was hung over. Inviting me over for schnopps and dinner. Drinking with me at the local Gasthaus or Biergarten.

There's something about it I've yet to find here in Michigan. Looks like I need to start looking for a new community to live in.

Who else here has been there?

I've been there twice but just on day trips. One trip to Munich/Dachau and one trip to Ramstein. I'll be heading back there in a few months (draft day of all times #-o ) for a WWII trip. I've always said that if I go back overseas to Europe I want to go to Ramstein. Right smack in the middle of Europe with the freedom to go to one of several countries on a weekend trip.

Well guns you know ive been there. Funny you should mention this- i can get tickets, jfk to frankfurt in march for- are u ready? $202 r/t. Gotta love yahoo travel. I cant go because i only have a week off and its just too little time.

I friggin love europe altogether. Germany is definately a great place. I miss the great "7-11's" on the autobahn where you can buy REAL sandwichs-real bread, real salami and awsome chesse. My wife has a friend in heidelberg, an awsome little town with a great castle. They have this awsome huge old house with a crazy view and i used to hang out on the deck and drink good beer. They took us to a fine local cheap place for some bratan and kraut.

I went to dachua too, but it was miserable, sad and creepy. I JUST missed going to eagles nest, hitlers old mountain retreat which is now a hotel.

Austria, Switzerland even Italy by golly kicks ass

In general, Im into SMALL, older cities that you can walk around in one day.

I was born in Germany and much of my family is still over there. We're from Wolfsburg, where the main VW plant is. Germans get a bad rap for being cold, unemotional people, but this is simply not true. They are the warmest, kindest people you will ever meet.

The sense of history is amazing. You can walk down a cobblestone street that has been there for 1,000 years. The churches and castles are also breathtaking.

People also seem to have more pride in themselves and their possessions. You never see someone in a store wearing slippers and curlers. You never see a yard with a broken down car or the grass overgrown.

I miss the kiosks with the curry shish kebabs, I've even tried Pferdewurst. Right around the corner from my grandmothers place is a weekly fresh market.

And my miss my family, now I'll be sad all day. Thanks, Guns. :wink:

You guys all know the deal and it's funny, you guys brought up some stuff that I had forgotten about, like DK's Autobahn shops and Thor's Doner Kabob stands.

Those Autobahn stops were like nothing I've ever seen. Good resturants and like you said DK, their version of 7-11s blew away anything here. How much would I kill for a salami and cheese on a kaiser roll right now. I always used to get this drink on the autobahn too, it was kind of like that V-8 splash stuff, except better.

And the Gyro/Doner Kabob stands after a night of drinking....nothing better.

Munich was my favorite town out of them all but I liked the smaller towns like Rothenberg and Berchtesgarten as well. If you ever find yourself down that way, take the Salt Mine tour, it's a blast.

AFJF - IF you're going to Normandy you're going to love it. The entire area and the historical sights are unbelievable.

Munich was my favorite town out of them all but I liked the smaller towns like Rothenberg and Berchtesgarten as well. If you ever find yourself down that way, take the Salt Mine tour, it's a blast.

Sometimes in summer i went to Rothenburg watching the "Franken Knights" playing Football. It is about 70 Miles from my home town.

AFJF - IF you're going to Normandy you're going to love it. The entire area and the historical sights are unbelievable.

Guns, my only regret is that I booked this trip so far in advance. I booked it several months ago (had a thread on it then too) and it's still a few months away. I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait. I'm actually trying to find out if the tour includes Pegasus Bridge. If not, I think I'm going to try to get out there on the anniversary of D-Day this year.

Ever read the book on Pegasus Bridge by Ambrose?

Guns, my only regret is that I booked this trip so far in advance. I booked it several months ago (had a thread on it then too) and it's still a few months away. I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait. I'm actually trying to find out if the tour includes Pegasus Bridge. If not, I think I'm going to try to get out there on the anniversary of D-Day this year.

Ever read the book on Pegasus Bridge by Ambrose?

Oh yeah - great book. I never made it to the bridge. We hit Utah, Omaha, Pointe du Hoc, St. Mer Eglise (sp?) and other places, but not the damn bridge! :oops:

Promise me when u get there, regardless of weather, hike up your pant legs and wade out into the water up to your knees, turn around and look back at Omaha Beach. It's a moment you won't forget

So I'm sitting here bored out of my mind and decided to play some tunes while I post and debate wether Bradway is going to make Scott Baio our next HC.

So I pull up my music program and use AutoDJ to make a playlist for me. I kid u not my current playlist is all songs from my days over in Germany.

I miss that place man. I miss the terrain, scenery, sights, foot, drink and the people. I miss driving like a wildman on the Autobahn, doing 120 to go to lunch and bitching and moaning when some slow guy is in front only going 95. I miss clubbing til 6 am and walking out to see the sun rising. The history, the buildings, the closeness of the German community and people. I miss beer being cheaper then soda. I miss being a weekend trip away from 500 years of history.

I'll never leave the States but Germany has a special place in my heart. I'll never forget being over there before I got married. My German neighbors who barely knew me let alone English adopted me. Bringing me breakfast when I was hung over. Inviting me over for schnopps and dinner. Drinking with me at the local Gasthaus or Biergarten.

There's something about it I've yet to find here in Michigan. Looks like I need to start looking for a new community to live in.

Who else here has been there?

come on fess up, we know what you really miss:

fat_women_270.jpg

I was born in Germany and much of my family is still over there. We're from Wolfsburg, where the main VW plant is. Germans get a bad rap for being cold, unemotional people, but this is simply not true. They are the warmest, kindest people you will ever meet.

The sense of history is amazing. You can walk down a cobblestone street that has been there for 1,000 years. The churches and castles are also breathtaking.

People also seem to have more pride in themselves and their possessions. You never see someone in a store wearing slippers and curlers. You never see a yard with a broken down car or the grass overgrown.

I miss the kiosks with the curry shish kebabs, I've even tried Pferdewurst. Right around the corner from my grandmothers place is a weekly fresh market.

And my miss my family, now I'll be sad all day. Thanks, Guns. :wink:

this is true, there is a rumor going around about germans being cold and even that their food sucks but I found that to be very untrue.

Gee do yo think the JEWS have something to do with that? JUST KIDDING RELAX all u hebes :D

u know what else rules about germany? the many pool facilities. for about 5 bucks for the day you can get into what is almost a small waterpark, complete with a few pools, heated, a bunch of water slides, fake beach, volleyball, swings, rope bridges and jets.

i used to sit right by this one jet with my clitoris just on the edge. I loved it

I think the Austrians are still a little sore over that Anschluss thing. :)

I liked Austria for the skiing, that was about it. Salzburg was nice, New Years 97-98 at Zell am See was fantastic and all the other skiing locations that took my cash as well.

Honest to god true story.

Friend of mine and I were in Austria to ski, got there on a Friday night. We god absolutely hammered drinking "Hooch", much like Mike's Hard Lemonade. Except when we were done there were like 24 empty bottles on the table. So we head back and I make the mistake of laying down and the rotation of the earth picked up by aboyt 1000mph. Well anyways, as I'm in the bathroom bowing before the Austrian God of porcelain, I developed a nose bleed. After passing out I woke up next morning to realize that the bathroom was covered in vomit and blood. It looked like a murder scene in there. We quickly got the hell out of dodge, checked out, got our passports back and disappeared to go skiing. Only the 20 temps kept my hangover from ruining the ski trip. :lol:

I think the Austrians are still a little sore over that Anschluss thing. :)

I liked Austria for the skiing, that was about it. Salzburg was nice, New Years 97-98 at Zell am See was fantastic and all the other skiing locations that took my cash as well.

Honest to god true story.

Friend of mine and I were in Austria to ski, got there on a Friday night. We god absolutely hammered drinking "Hooch", much like Mike's Hard Lemonade. Except when we were done there were like 24 empty bottles on the table. So we head back and I make the mistake of laying down and the rotation of the earth picked up by aboyt 1000mph. Well anyways, as I'm in the bathroom bowing before the Austrian God of porcelain, I developed a nose bleed. After passing out I woke up next morning to realize that the bathroom was covered in vomit and blood. It looked like a murder scene in there. We quickly got the hell out of dodge, checked out, got our passports back and disappeared to go skiing. Only the 20 temps kept my hangover from ruining the ski trip. :lol:

haha that story went great with my sushi

Archived