QB Thoughts

KRL

Really? The same Mike Glennon that hasn't done squat with TWO top WR's? He's going to come here with the trash we have at the position and do well? Please.

Done squat? Statistically he has been significantly better than the parade of scrubs I keep hearing about and this draft sucks for qbs outside Winston.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bradford is too brittle. If he does not come to the Jets cheaply they should pass. Glennon could be better than Geno. He will at least give Geno a push. I certainly would not annoint a starter at this point.

Not a good draft for QB's this year. I do like Winston over Marcus though.

Bradford is owed $13 mil on his contract next season. He may not even play another game. Pass

I'm amazed some jets fans think mariota can play as a drop back qb in the meadowlands.

They aren't finding a top option in FA. they aren't getting Winston or Mariota.  That's not Jets luck. 

the best Jets fans can realistically hope for is a top of rd 2 QB like maybe Hundley who can compete with Geno hopefully 

should have drafted one last year... Bridgewater, Carr, even  Jimmy  Garoppolo  could have saved Idzik's job. This year's QB crop is atrocious.

Could you imagine?  Imagine last year's draft without Amaro and with a QB that could not beat Geno out in camp.  Ouch.  I liked Bridgewater where he went, but I liked Geno as a value pick too. 

FWIW, Bridgewater went at the bottom of the first and Carr at the top of the second.  The only one of those guys the Jets could have gotten in the second is Garoppolo who went like 20 picks later.  No other QBs until Logan Thomas in the fourth.  I know, I know, trade up.  We could have at least gotten an Aaron Murray, Mettenberger or Fales instead of Jeremiah George, but Taj Boyd.

All the guys bashing Bradford, remember his OC is Brian Schottenheimer.  The best WR the guy has had to work with is probably Amendola.  Does not mean much, but food for thought.

Are people bashing him? Or just expressing skepticism about his injury history and the toll being off the field has to eventually take on a players ability to realize potential. I don't think Bradford is a horrid as some of the other options people have tossed around, but I certainly don't think there's a 1-to-1 comparison to be made between him and Brees. 

All the guys bashing Bradford, remember his OC is Brian Schottenheimer. The best WR the guy has had to work with is probably Amendola. Does not mean much, but food for thought.

I get what your saying but Bradford had $13 million coming to him next year and the guy makes Chad look durable.

If anyone benefits from Schitforbrains leaving its Austin Davis.

Are people bashing him? Or just expressing skepticism about his injury history and the toll being off the field has to eventually take on a players ability to realize potential. I don't think Bradford is a horrid as some of the other options people have tossed around, but I certainly don't think there's a 1-to-1 comparison to be made between him and Brees. 

Well... comparing him to Brees is one thing, but looking at him unfavorably while lusting after Glennon, Fitzpatrick and Matt Moore is close enough to bashing.

The other QB always looks better when you don't have an elite QB. I think we are looking at Geno this season. He has to improve too.

I think with an OC who is a stable play caller, which MM was not, Geno can do a better job.  A decent job?  I don't know.  It is really hard to get past his panic moves, or his lazy INTs.  Some guys do.  Brees comes to mind. In his early years the opposition could always depend on a pick from him.  I don't know if Gailey is a mature, stable game planner.  I just don't.  But if he is, it can only help Geno.  How much?  That is the question.  What is Geno's ceiling?

Geno should not have been starting as a rookie, we all know that. He also took a horrific beating in 2013 got hit many times late & then had to learn a whole new system in 2014.

He's still learning to take the snap from center & the snap cadence you learn to keep defenses honest. In 2 years I've seen Geno make 50 throws that were better & more accurate than Sanchez.

In 2013 he played with arguably the worst offensive players in the league. He learns a whole new system & he starts over with a whole new stable of players, Decker with a bad hammy, Amaro (a rookie), Cumby (getting thrown around like a rag doll), and a combination of Kerley with a new guy every week!

Salas, Graham, Owusu, Harvin.

CJ2 was awful last year coming out of the backfield dropping ball after ball in the flat. Amaro had numerous drops including a huge 3rd & 10 vs the Pats that would have put us in field position far FG instead, Folks kicking a 50 yarder.

This fan base has amnesia.

I'm gonna tell you guys right now that Bowles after watching film of Geno will not be throwing him away like most of you are. No doubt he will bring in competition (veteran).

Way too much was put on this kids shoulders way to soon & he still keeps pressing on. Rex screwed up in 2013, Sanchez should have been starting & Geno sitting & watching.

The Jets sign 1 good receiver (Decker), draft a TE (Amaro), a washed up CJ2 and what was everyone expecting? An offensive explosion?

Let's see what Chan Gailey comes up with. Finally an OC that is respected by EVERYONE, a guy that designs an offense to the talent on the team. I'm sure we will fix the right side of the Oline.

I guarantee you that if you look at the statistics from last year, the Jets offense had some of the worst starting possessions in the league. We were always backed up in our own zone, whether through the defense always letting teams convert 3rd downs to change field position or by the myriad of presnap penalties that had us at 1st & 15 or 2nd & 18.

Negative plays kill young QBs. Everyone needs to play smarter on this team. It's a team game!

Thats what we need right now. He rarely turns over the ball in comparison to what we've had to deal with the past 8 years, he has a powerful arm to stretch the field, and he can hit targets in stride. Im watching him right now and the kid is impressive enough to trade for.

Thats what we need right now. He rarely turns over the ball in comparison to what we've had to deal with the past 8 years, he has a powerful arm to stretch the field, and he can hit targets in stride. Im watching him right now and the kid is impressive enough to trade for.

I am with you Villain I watched his game tapes and I also watched a few live games as my friends are Bucs fans and I think we should seriously consider Glennon. I want nothing to do with Bradford, I would also like Foles but there is no way I can see us making a draft day trade with Philly, it might be possible to trade a pick for Foles but it would probably be too high of a pick. I think a 4th for Glennon is about right, just my opinion.

Trade for Mike Glennon. If Mariota falls to us and teams feel like they can wait because we're not going to draft him then I say draft him. Once those teams are on the clock then deal Mariota. You can do that with the Browns, Bears, Philly, Texans etc.

We dont have to let Mariota pass us. We would just have to do something unconventional.

Glennon is worse than Geno, no thanks. Seems like the only attribute of QB'S people here look at is INTs.

I'm just hoping we have the balls to cut Geno (or trade him, but I don't think he has much value). His sh*t play aside, if this franchise is serious about a real culture change, it will start with a low risk/high reward move. We lose nothing by cutting him, and the rest of the players get a serious message sent their way by cutting a higher profile guy. No Sheldon, you can't tell the fans to produce football babies if they want to complain. No everyone else, you cannot be late to meetings. We do not care who you are, this franchise will no longer stand for bullsh*t from its players. Clown car days are over.

Dumbest post of the week I have read easily.

A couple of things:

It'll be interesting to see what Tampa/TN do at the top of the draft, because that shapes our future. However, since free agency comes before the draft (I'm not sure why they won't reverse that, makes more sense) we would have to make a decision on QB before the draft. After the top two, you may as well hand the job to Geno because there is absolutely no one else in the draft that can be a productive starter next year. So, then we have to invest decent money in someone (or picks) to get our competition for Geno. At that point we've invested in Geno, whoever we get to compete with him, and then possibly go for a top 6 pick QB? I think that'll be over-investing in a position without a lock down answer.

Why do people hate Glennon? Schiano never seemed to like him much, and Lovie hated him. How much better than Geno is he? He had an 83 rating this year, which is a grand 6 points higher than Geno, and played with two stud WRs that are all pro caliber. I'm not sure why I would want to pay more assets especially when we're low on assets to pick up Glennon, when the payoff might just not be an greater. To me Glennon is a below average QB, and so is Geno. He maybe slightly better than Geno, but he's not enough of an improvement to actually do anything with our team unless he drastically improves.

He's not better than Geno especially when you take into account Genos running ability lack of weapons, lack of scheme fit and playing offense under Rex

I am with you Villain I watched his game tapes and I also watched a few live games as my friends are Bucs fans and I think we should seriously consider Glennon. I want nothing to do with Bradford, I would also like Foles but there is no way I can see us making a draft day trade with Philly, it might be possible to trade a pick for Foles but it would probably be too high of a pick. I think a 4th for Glennon is about right, just my opinion.

I'd do a 4th, 3rd or a 2nd next year for Glennon. I know the 2nd next year would have people up in arms, but Glennon is solid. If Bowles brings over that stingy defense in regards to scoring Glennon could not only get us to the playoffs but I think he can win us games. 

You and your friends watch Bucs games, so you see how putrid that offensive line is, and though I've seen Vincent Jackson make some incredible one handed catches in many games, I've also seen him as well as their other WR's drop passes that hit them right on the hands. I believe that if we get a legit replacement for WIllie Colon and get better performance from our RT Mike Glennon could be the 2nd best QB in our division easily. I think he's better than Tannehill. 

I'd do a 4th, 3rd or a 2nd next year for Glennon. I know the 2nd next year would have people up in arms, but Glennon is solid. If Bowles brings over that stingy defense in regards to scoring Glennon could not only get us to the playoffs but I think he can win us games. 

You and your friends watch Bucs games, so you see how putrid that offensive line is, and though I've seen Vincent Jackson make some incredible one handed catches in many games, I've also seen him as well as their other WR's drop passes that hit them right on the hands. I believe that if we get a legit replacement for WIllie Colon and get better performance from our RT Mike Glennon could be the 2nd best QB in our division easily. I think he's better than Tannehill.

I wouldn't have a problem giving up a third for Glennon I would prefer a fourth but I think a second next year is a bit steep. I agree with the O-line issues if we can keep him on his feet he can make plays. I was hoping we picked him instead of Geno. I agree if Bowles can get our secondary and O-line shored up we can win some games

Glennon is worse than Geno, no thanks. Seems like the only attribute of QB'S people here look at is INTs.

Please, provide me with some examples. I've watched every game Geno has played. I also watched about 80% of Glennon's games, and from what I see, not only is Glennon better than Geno but Glennon shows potential to be a top 15 QB in the NFL. Now before you get bent all out of shape about my top 15 potential comment, these are the names of the QB's from 13th to 18th. http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

13. Nick Foles

14. Ryan Tannehill

15. Mark Sanchez

16. Cam Newton

17. Colin Kaepernick

18. Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

I believe that Mike Glennon's talent can have him in that conversation. In Geno's rookie year he was the 28th best QB out of 32, this year 29th. In Glennon rookie year he was 22nd and this year he didnt qualify given lack of games. However, if you go that that link that I provided you and click on "unqualified" you'll get to see all the players who threw footballs, you'll see that Glennon is in between Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick, so If Glennon would have been able to play more games at the rate he was playing at he would have been the 17th best QB in football in just his 2nd year, a rise of 5 spots from year 1 to year 2. Geno Smith actually fell 1 spot in his 2nd year.

Mike Glennon when rating him by the Total QBR is head and shoulders better than Geno Smith. Tampa Bay's organization doesn't see it and I believe that if the Jets can trade for him then we will be able to show them (Tampa) the type of QB they drafted year-after-year. 

I'd like to know why you think Geno is better than Glennon. 

I wouldn't have a problem giving up a third for Glennon I would prefer a fourth but I think a second next year is a bit steep. I agree with the O-line issues if we can keep him on his feet he can make plays. I was hoping we picked him instead of Geno. I agree if Bowles can get our secondary and O-line shored up we can win some games

A 2nd is rather steep, but whats steeper is taking Mariota at #6. Given what I've seen from Glennon in NFL games I'd rather spend that 2nd rounder next year instead of #6 this year on Mariota....if push came to shove of course. I dont think we'd have to go that high for him, I think a 3rd would do it for sure, maybe even a 4th. I do think that Glennon can be an Andy Dalton on the low side, Tony Romo on the high side level QB in this league. 

A 2nd is rather steep, but whats steeper is taking Mariota at #6. Given what I've seen from Glennon in NFL games I'd rather spend that 2nd rounder next year instead of #6 this year on Mariota....if push came to shove of course. I dont think we'd have to go that high for him, I think a 3rd would do it for sure, maybe even a 4th. I do think that Glennon can be an Andy Dalton on the low side, Tony Romo on the high side level QB in this league.

Giving up a 2nd is definitely a risk but if it works out then it dosen't matter. I would be ok with a 3rd or a 4th. I agree with you on Mariota but I don't see him falling to 6 I think he goes #1 to Tampa.

Giving up a 2nd is definitely a risk but if it works out then it dosen't matter. I would be ok with a 3rd or a 4th. I agree with you on Mariota but I don't see him falling to 6 I think he goes #1 to Tampa.

If he did fall to us I think it would be good for the 5 teams in front of us lol. Im not really that high on Mariota. 

If he did fall to us I think it would be good for the 5 teams in front of us lol. Im not really that high on Mariota.

I'm not that high him either but you know what you never know he can turn out to be a great player one day. I highly doubt that he is there at six but if he is it would definitely make things interesting for us

I'm not that high him either but you know what you never know he can turn out to be a great player one day. I highly doubt that he is there at six but if he is it would definitely make things interesting for us

Very true. I hope we can get Glennon before the draft starts because if Mariota does fall to us I want to wheel and deal that #6 pick, hopefully to Cleveland and get both their #1's

False. I'm the one who originally pointed out the absurdity of the words you were using.

Not false. My awesomeness has triggered something deep down in you which forced you to poke at me which I then used to redirect the poking. This means that I gave myself that sig vicariously though you. 

You've been used and abused, and you've liked it! Now sing along...

Archived