Jets Mock Off-Season

32EBoozer

http://turnonthejets.com/2015/02/turn-jets-12-pack-nyj-mock-off-season/

Projecting the New York Jets off-season is a difficult task considering the organization saw their largest overhaul in the past decade. New General Manager. New Head Coach. New prominent members of the scouting department. Here is one man’s guess how things could transgress in the coming months…

1. Quarterback – We know the depth chart is going to expand beyond Geno Smith and Matt Simms. In the NFL Draft, Tampa Bay is going to take a quarterback at #1, probably Jameis Winston. The Jets may get a crack at Marcus Mariota at #6 or they may consider a trade back with a team like Philadelphia or Cleveland. I’m not sure of the logistics but let’s assume the Jets don’t land a quarterback in the draft. As for veterans, Sam Bradford is going to stay in St. Louis. I think the Houston Texans will prefer to keep Ryan Mallett over Ryan Fitzpatrick, potentially freeing him up. The Jets are going to add a veteran, probably somebody out of the Fitzpatrick, Matt Moore, Jake Locker group or maybe they could look at a player like Chase Daniel if he is released. I don’t see them sacrificing a pick for MIke Glennon. Unless the Jets do land a quarterback in round one, Geno Smith will be the favorite to start week 1.

2. Running Back – Chris Johnson is already gone. Bilal Powell is likely going to test free agency. Chris Ivory has one year left on his contract. CJ Spiller makes plenty of sense, although Shane Vereen could also get a look as well. The safer bet is Spiller and the Jets potentially adding a back in the NFL Draft with a mid or late round pick, considering the depth of the class.

3. Tight End – The Jets need a Y tight end to utilize on offense and offer support to their tackles. Jermaine Gresham is at the top of the available list but the Jets may look to a cheaper option like Matt Spaeth or Virgil Green. Again, it is hard to pinpoint a name but it would be surprising if the Jets didn’t add a blocking compliment to Jace Amaro and reevaluate Jeff Cumberland’s role, who was badly miscast by the previous staff as an every down player.

4. Wide Receiver - The Percy Harvin question. I remain continually surprised at how many people think it is a foregone conclusion the Jets should just outright release him. Why? There is no guarantee the Jets are landing any of the top free agent receivers to replace him. It is far from out of the realm of possibility that Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Randall Cobb, Jeremy Maclin and Torrey Smith all stay with their respective teams. The Jets have 10 days of free agency to evaluate the market and see if they can upgrade Harvin or work to get him back on a lower cost deal. Another reality is the Jets can just keep Harvin on his current contract. Why? It is for 10 million but it is year to year. The Jets can stomach 10 million this year if they can’t find an adequate replacement because it doesn’t harm them long term and they have an obscene amount of cap space to utilize for 2015. It isn’t ideal but it isn’t out of the question either.

The point is the Jets lack talent, so you don’t let one of your five most talented players walk without a strong replacement strategy in place. I think Harvin is back in 2015 and the Jets add a receiver in the middle rounds of the draft, after the free agency crop ends up being more of a dud than many expect.

5. Offensive Line – A position I expect the Jets to be particularly active at in free agency. They should be in the mix for Mike Iupati and if they can’t land him, could look towards Orlando Franklin to bolster their interior. It also wouldn’t be surprising to see them look at available tackles, including Derek Newton or Doug Free. The Jets are going to sign multiple veterans here with at least one new starter coming on board to replace Willie Colon. Pending how free agency goes, this is going to be a focus area for draft weekend as well.

6. Defensive Line – I don’t expect much here outside of working to bring Damon Harrison back as the starting nose tackle and Leger Douzable back for depth. Kenrick Ellis is likely to walk in free agency with TJ Barnes slated for a bigger role off the bench. All eyes will also be on a long term deal with Muhammad Wilkerson.

7. Linebackers – The Jets back seven on defense needs to be completely revamped. Unless Rex Ryan wildly overpays for him (which he might), the Jets will bring David Harris back and draft a potential long term replacement for him. On the outside, an edge player is firmly in the mix for the 6th overall pick and the team will also add a piece or two in free agency. A few names to keep an eye on are Pernell McPhee, Sam Acho, Brandon Graham and Jabaal Sheard. The Jets kept Jason Babin and Calvin Pace around temporarily with 250K roster bonuses but that doesn’t guarantee their status long term pending how free agency and the draft play out.

8. Safety – I’m going to work under the assumption that New England finds a way to bring back Darrelle Revis and Devin McCourty. If either shook free, I think the Jets would make an aggressive push but in the absence of McCourty, the Jets will bring in somebody like Rahim Moore, Kendrick Lewis or Ron Parker to pair with Calvin Pryor. The draft is thin this year and they won’t roll with what they currently have.

9. Cornerback – Alongside offensive line, this is where the Jets will likely spend the most. I expect the Jets to add two veterans capable of starting next year, with guys like Antonio Cromartie, Davon House, Chris Culliver and Buster Skrine in the mix. Ultimately, I think Byron Maxwell will join Dan Quinn in Atlanta. Hopefully, the new additions paired with Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle, Marcus Williams and a potential mid to late round draft pick comes together as a respectable position group.

10. Special Teams - I don’t anticipate any major changes here but the Jets will probably bring in competition for Ryan Quigley at punter. Nick Folk will be back at kicker. Tanner Purdum should be back as the long snapper.

11. NFL Draft – It wouldn’t surprise me if the Jets traded back at some point to acquire more picks but as of now I think an edge player is most likely for 6th overall. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I think wide receiver, running back and offensive line will all receive strong consideration. The Jets are also likely to add a linebacker and secondary player at some point.

12. What the off-season could look like…

FA Additions
•QB: Matt Moore
•RB: CJ Spiller
•OG: Orlando Franklin
•OT: Derek Newton
•TE: Matt Spaeth
•LB: Sam Acho
•CB: Antonio Cromartie
•CB: Davon House
•S: Rahim Moore

Draft Picks
•1st round: Dante Fowler Jr, Edge
•2nd round: Devin Smith, WR
•3rd round: David Cobb, RB
•4th round: N/A as Jets keep Harvin
•5th round – 7th round: Linebacker, safety and offensive lineman

I personally would be OK with this type of Off-Season FWIW.

As for the Draft, I think I would substitute RT/OG in the 3rd and grab a RB in the 6th or 7th round.

Still torn on the whole Harvin=4th rd. pick!! I understand if you cut him you create another hole, but isn't there anyone on our roster who can do what Harvin does? That kid in the Miami game looked good, but that most likely a result of the Dolphins having no heart that game and giving up!

I don't see one impact player on the FA list - not to say they're not good.. going into a FA with $50mm in cap space I would expect to see at least one or two impact players.

Would be very happy with the first three draft picks though.

Iupati would be an incredible signing here.

4. Wide Receiver - The Percy Harvin question. I remain continually surprised at how many people think it is a foregone conclusion the Jets should just outright release him. Why? There is no guarantee the Jets are landing any of the top free agent receivers to replace him. It is far from out of the realm of possibility that Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Randall Cobb, Jeremy Maclin and Torrey Smith all stay with their respective teams. The Jets have 10 days of free agency to evaluate the market and see if they can upgrade Harvin or work to get him back on a lower cost deal. Another reality is the Jets can just keep Harvin on his current contract. Why? It is for 10 million but it is year to year. The Jets can stomach 10 million this year if they can’t find an adequate replacement because it doesn’t harm them long term and they have an obscene amount of cap space to utilize for 2015. It isn’t ideal but it isn’t out of the question either. The point is the Jets lack talent, so you don’t let one of your five most talented players walk without a strong replacement strategy in place. I think Harvin is back in 2015 and the Jets add a receiver in the middle rounds of the draft, after the free agency crop ends up being more of a dud than many expect.

Harvin showed you exactly what in his time here? He showed me nothing. He didn't even excel on special teams, when he chose to bring the ball out of the end zone - nine yards deep - three times before the ST coach pulled him from the game. Harvin is a bum and not worth a dime of Jets money. 

http://turnonthejets.com/2015/02/turn-jets-12-pack-nyj-mock-off-season/

Projecting the New York Jets off-season is a difficult task considering the organization saw their largest overhaul in the past decade. New General Manager. New Head Coach. New prominent members of the scouting department. Here is one man’s guess how things could transgress in the coming months…

1. Quarterback – We know the depth chart is going to expand beyond Geno Smith and Matt Simms. In the NFL Draft, Tampa Bay is going to take a quarterback at #1, probably Jameis Winston. The Jets may get a crack at Marcus Mariota at #6 or they may consider a trade back with a team like Philadelphia or Cleveland. I’m not sure of the logistics but let’s assume the Jets don’t land a quarterback in the draft. As for veterans, Sam Bradford is going to stay in St. Louis. I think the Houston Texans will prefer to keep Ryan Mallett over Ryan Fitzpatrick, potentially freeing him up. The Jets are going to add a veteran, probably somebody out of the Fitzpatrick, Matt Moore, Jake Locker group or maybe they could look at a player like Chase Daniel if he is released. I don’t see them sacrificing a pick for MIke Glennon. Unless the Jets do land a quarterback in round one, Geno Smith will be the favorite to start week 1.

2. Running Back – Chris Johnson is already gone. Bilal Powell is likely going to test free agency. Chris Ivory has one year left on his contract. CJ Spiller makes plenty of sense, although Shane Vereen could also get a look as well. The safer bet is Spiller and the Jets potentially adding a back in the NFL Draft with a mid or late round pick, considering the depth of the class.

3. Tight End – The Jets need a Y tight end to utilize on offense and offer support to their tackles. Jermaine Gresham is at the top of the available list but the Jets may look to a cheaper option like Matt Spaeth or Virgil Green. Again, it is hard to pinpoint a name but it would be surprising if the Jets didn’t add a blocking compliment to Jace Amaro and reevaluate Jeff Cumberland’s role, who was badly miscast by the previous staff as an every down player.

4. Wide Receiver - The Percy Harvin question. I remain continually surprised at how many people think it is a foregone conclusion the Jets should just outright release him. Why? There is no guarantee the Jets are landing any of the top free agent receivers to replace him. It is far from out of the realm of possibility that Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Randall Cobb, Jeremy Maclin and Torrey Smith all stay with their respective teams. The Jets have 10 days of free agency to evaluate the market and see if they can upgrade Harvin or work to get him back on a lower cost deal. Another reality is the Jets can just keep Harvin on his current contract. Why? It is for 10 million but it is year to year. The Jets can stomach 10 million this year if they can’t find an adequate replacement because it doesn’t harm them long term and they have an obscene amount of cap space to utilize for 2015. It isn’t ideal but it isn’t out of the question either.

The point is the Jets lack talent, so you don’t let one of your five most talented players walk without a strong replacement strategy in place. I think Harvin is back in 2015 and the Jets add a receiver in the middle rounds of the draft, after the free agency crop ends up being more of a dud than many expect.

5. Offensive Line – A position I expect the Jets to be particularly active at in free agency. They should be in the mix for Mike Iupati and if they can’t land him, could look towards Orlando Franklin to bolster their interior. It also wouldn’t be surprising to see them look at available tackles, including Derek Newton or Doug Free. The Jets are going to sign multiple veterans here with at least one new starter coming on board to replace Willie Colon. Pending how free agency goes, this is going to be a focus area for draft weekend as well.

6. Defensive Line – I don’t expect much here outside of working to bring Damon Harrison back as the starting nose tackle and Leger Douzable back for depth. Kenrick Ellis is likely to walk in free agency with TJ Barnes slated for a bigger role off the bench. All eyes will also be on a long term deal with Muhammad Wilkerson.

7. Linebackers – The Jets back seven on defense needs to be completely revamped. Unless Rex Ryan wildly overpays for him (which he might), the Jets will bring David Harris back and draft a potential long term replacement for him. On the outside, an edge player is firmly in the mix for the 6th overall pick and the team will also add a piece or two in free agency. A few names to keep an eye on are Pernell McPhee, Sam Acho, Brandon Graham and Jabaal Sheard. The Jets kept Jason Babin and Calvin Pace around temporarily with 250K roster bonuses but that doesn’t guarantee their status long term pending how free agency and the draft play out.

8. Safety – I’m going to work under the assumption that New England finds a way to bring back Darrelle Revis and Devin McCourty. If either shook free, I think the Jets would make an aggressive push but in the absence of McCourty, the Jets will bring in somebody like Rahim Moore, Kendrick Lewis or Ron Parker to pair with Calvin Pryor. The draft is thin this year and they won’t roll with what they currently have.

9. Cornerback – Alongside offensive line, this is where the Jets will likely spend the most. I expect the Jets to add two veterans capable of starting next year, with guys like Antonio Cromartie, Davon House, Chris Culliver and Buster Skrine in the mix. Ultimately, I think Byron Maxwell will join Dan Quinn in Atlanta. Hopefully, the new additions paired with Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle, Marcus Williams and a potential mid to late round draft pick comes together as a respectable position group.

10. Special Teams - I don’t anticipate any major changes here but the Jets will probably bring in competition for Ryan Quigley at punter. Nick Folk will be back at kicker. Tanner Purdum should be back as the long snapper.

11. NFL Draft – It wouldn’t surprise me if the Jets traded back at some point to acquire more picks but as of now I think an edge player is most likely for 6th overall. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I think wide receiver, running back and offensive line will all receive strong consideration. The Jets are also likely to add a linebacker and secondary player at some point.

12. What the off-season could look like…

FA Additions

•QB: Matt Moore

•RB: CJ Spiller

•OG: Orlando Franklin

•OT: Derek Newton

•TE: Matt Spaeth

•LB: Sam Acho

•CB: Antonio Cromartie

•CB: Davon House

•S: Rahim Moore

Draft Picks

•1st round: Dante Fowler Jr, Edge

•2nd round: Devin Smith, WR

•3rd round: David Cobb, RB

•4th round: N/A as Jets keep Harvin

•5th round – 7th round: Linebacker, safety and offensive lineman

I personally would be OK with this type of Off-Season FWIW.

As for the Draft, I think I would substitute RT/OG in the 3rd and grab a RB in the 6th or 7th round.

Still torn on the whole Harvin=4th rd. pick!! I understand if you cut him you create another hole, but isn't there anyone on our roster who can do what Harvin does? That kid in the Miami game looked good, but that most likely a result of the Dolphins having no heart that game and giving up!

I like your draft but I would if we are keeping Harvin than I would prefer to go BIG and draft the other wide out named Devin; Devin Funchess.   D. Smith and Harvin are too similar. 

Newton? Why you miss Wayne Hunter? Check out Parnell if you want to pilfer someone from the cowboys

The Texans have Fitz signed, Mallet is a FA, Fitz is scheduled to male 3.25 mill, to cut him and sign another vet for 2 mill does not make much sense

Why spend 10mill and give up the 104th pick in this years draft. The jets are not going to compete for the SB this year unless Geno Smith changes to Randall Cunningham, you are spending 10mill of cap space that can be used to front load Wilkenson's contract.   You want someone to run 9s, the fins are going to cut Wallace.

At Safety the target should be Searcy who is better than anyone out there but McCourty

Archived