Harvin deal was idziks fu to the jets

aec4

creating cap space and losing 12 games is not a being a great cap guy. A monkey can do that. The guys who are good at it win will creating space.

Idzik did a terrible job here

I thought he did a great job with the Revis to Tampa trade.

In hindsight now, it appears he got lucky and simply didn't get his bluff called. Tampa caved because they wanted him too much, and it made him look like a shrewd negotiator. But then we saw him draw the same lines in the sand that resulted in signing only one player who wasn't a stop-gap (Decker, whose super-earner wife wanted to move to NYC) or a meh mid-level acquisition (Breno). 

Like a lot of trades, it looks way worse in hindsight than at the time because of how things ended up. But in hindsight it was a terrible move. What was so bad about it wasn't even the money. It was the timing.

He wanted to see what he had in Geno Smith. Well given the importance of the position, this information should have been just as important in the offseason. That means he had to grab DeSean Jackson when he was available. And when he passed on that (presumably because he targeted a certain WR in the draft) then he had to get that WR instead of hoping and praying and assuming the Giants or someone else didn't want him just as badly. And after THAT came and went, to let the position go until round 4 and draft guys who were in no way ready to step onto the field as starters. If any ever become so, great, but if you need an instant starter NOW you don't hold off until the longer-shot picks are all that's available. And part of the reason he did that was that he painted himself into a corner at CB.

It's a whole domino effect. Failure to sign/draft a starter in one place will necessarily affect what he does the following FA period or the following draft. You want a guard so badly you draft 3 of them? Then don't draft 3 of them (one who played on defense in college at that); draft 1 of them and draft him earlier (but not in the top 13; he at least knew that). And if you're not willing to touch a guard that high, then don't cut a dirt-cheap known starter in Slauson and paint yourself into yet another corner in the draft.

Just like WR. You want one so badly? Don't draft 3 of them; draft one of them and draft him early. Use some extra picks to trade up now or trade them for players now or for better picks next year for God's sake. You don't take all 12 picks because you're conceding you're throwing 5 of them in the garbage if we're LUCKY.

Harvin was a direct result of these poorly-executed prior actions and inactions. So while it can be rationalized as an ok move at the time, ultimately it was his admission of screwing up so badly he couldn't even get an adequate analysis of the QB he himself drafted. You can't look at the Harvin trade as an isolated move IMO. He is one in a series of them.

Well said.   You don't pass on Desean when you're 0-0 and he only costs money that you have plenty of and then turn around and make the Percy deal under the guise that you need to see Geno with some weapons..

We were 1-5. No hope to go anywhere.

So now we lose a 6th for 62% a season. To make it worse, we could have carried over the money we spent on him last year. That would be another 6m. (I think)

We were actually 1-6 when Idzik traded for him. In fairness to Idzik, I don't think he saw it as a half a season fix, I think he thought Harvin could stay for the long haul.  In fact, if he would agree to redo his contract I think he would be an asset to us now. I would love him in the slot and Marshall and Decker wide.

can you imagine our offense next year with Marshall, Percy, Decker, Amaro and Kerley?  with Ivory and Powell at RB.

god damn that's a great set of weapons for Geno

It's a crazy receiving corps, Jets need to let Harvin go though, we need to spend that 10.5 million in other ways, I don't think this changes the possibility of the Jets taking a WR at 6 just because 6 OLB and WR will be BPA, luckily for us those are both needs.

Any chance the Jets resign Harvin we still need a KR and PR imagine Marshall--Decker--Kerley--Harvin 4 wide who can cover that

Still a chance though probably unlikely unless Harvin takes a cut which he wont. More probable I believe is Marshall---White/Cooper----Decker----Kerley

Excellent post. I'd like to add that Idzik did crap to "get us out of cap hell", All he did was cut some obvious dead weight (Holmes, Sanchez) and manage to get market value for one of the best corners in the game. Woopdie-freakin-doo. Matt Millen could've gotten us out of cap hell, too. The reason it was so easy to do was, Tannenbaum set it up that way.

He got better than expected in return for Revis. He was one of the best corners in the game before he ripped up his knee, hadn't played a game since, and had only begun running a little within that prior month. And everyone knew Revis wanted $16M/year. The number of suitors totaled ONE. And that suitor refused to part with more than a 2nd round pick that year plus maybe another pick the following year, and held that position until a couple of days before the draft.

But as I posted after (#36 in this thread), it's entirely possible that he just got lucky that Tampa didn't tell him he's nuts and he can keep this CB he clearly doesn't want and let him hit free agency in 11 months and Idzik gets nothing instead of Tampa's top offer. They came to his rescue and he looked brilliant. To get in excess of a 1st round pick for an injured player with crazy salary demands and only 1 team was even willing to offer up a 2nd rounder? It was not easy and not a no-brainer. Fans were saying at the time to just take the 2nd and we should be happy we're getting that much.

I guess one has to give him credit for it, because not everyone would have held out as long as he did (probably very few would have, if that many). Even if he got lucky, which he did, the fact is he gambled big and it paid off big. 

And Tannenbaum screwed up also. He did a lot of poor planning and poor drafting himself, and also deserved to get fired.

creating cap space and losing 12 games is not a being a great cap guy. A monkey can do that. The guys who are good at it win will creating space.

Idzik did a terrible job here

Exactly. Plus, this isn't like Hockey. The cap goes up significantly every season so getting out of a bad cap ssituation is much easier now than it was in Parcells-Bradway days.

You're right.

Acquiring a player who excels in open space for a mid round draft pick and has no guaranteed money on his contract screams 'F U!'

Idzik is like a ninja. A retarded ninja.

Yeah, but why didn't u sign a CB or a WR in the FA?

I honestly believe the Harvin deal was absolutely a Woody decision.  It was contrary to everything Idzik had done to that point and t's straight out of the Woody Johnson playbook.   That trade served one purpose and one purpose only - PR.

Idzik last attempt to save his job and I hope Woody had to do something with it, fans had stopped watching at that point, team was bad  

Archived