DE/OLB Derrick Morgan

SenorGato

Ran into this bit on Grantland:

In a single play, it’s possible to understand the puzzle that is Derrick Morgan. I love Morgan as a player, but after being selected in the first round in 2010, he’s never topped more than 6.5 sacks in a single season. He’s a perfect example of sacks not telling the entire story. When Morgan is affecting plays as a pass-rusher, he’s often doing so like in the play above. He converts speed to power very well, and it allows him to walk talented tackles right into the quarterback.

Morgan’s deficiency is with his hands. Great pass-rushers who rely on power moves are also adept at shedding blockers and spilling back to the inside to finish off plays. That’s where Morgan struggles. Physically, he has all the traits that make a top-flight rusher, but he’s still lacking refinement. Last year was his best season rushing the passer, but because the Titans had him dropping back into coverage often, it hurt his raw sack totals. He may not have the numbers some of the other available guys do, but he consistently alters the pocket. I think his best seasons are ahead of him, and that is always what teams want in free agents.

He's definitely interesting if he can play OLB, and apparently he can. Who knew? I thought he was just a DE for the Titans.

So most of my FA wish list:

Revis

Morgan

Carpenter

Wisniewski

Maxwell/McCourty

Revis and Maxwell seems too much to ask for. But man this defense would be able to go nuts.

I think my list is:

Revis or Maxwell

Iupati

Not sure what I want beyond that.  I am just going to sit back and watch the show.  Revis and McCourty would make things interesting.

Revis and Maxwell seems too much to ask for. But man this defense would be able to go nuts.

I think my list is:

Revis or Maxwell

Iupati

Not sure what I want beyond that.  I am just going to sit back and watch the show.  Revis and McCourty would make things interesting.

Iupati for sure, and I like going Revis and Iupati only because they're clearly the best FAs and that's the way to spend...That said, Carpenter, Wisniewski, and Morgan seem like ascending players. Morgan especially plays a position that just is going to be tough for a rookie to fill.

Ran into this bit on Grantland:

He's definitely interesting if he can play OLB, and apparently he can. Who knew? I thought he was just a DE for the Titans.

They changed to a 3-4 last year when Whisenhunt and Horton came in.

I'd be good with Morgan as an under the radar signing. For big money, however, no.

I think my list is:

Revis or Maxwell

Iupati

The scouting reports on Iupati is great run blocker and poor pass blocker.  Are you sure you want to give big money to someone like that?  I know I don't. 

The scouting reports on Iupati is great run blocker and poor pass blocker.  Are you sure you want to give big money to someone like that?  I know I don't. 

Not going to act like I have seen him enough to develop my own scouting report on him; I haven't. Just a huge position of need. But if they evaluate him and have concerns about his pass blocking then obviously this is a no-go.

Not going to act like I have seen him enough to develop my own scouting report on him; I haven't. Just a huge position of need. But if they evaluate him and have concerns about his pass blocking then obviously this is a no-go.

Huh ????

Sorry thought you were talking about Morgan 

Archived