Best I've Seen From Mehta in Years: NFL Investigates Jets re Revis

AFJF

what woody said was dumb.  the fact you had multiple teams bidding on revis other than the jets pretty much ruins krafty's case.  nobody works free agency like revis, and he was going to work all teams to the end

I was preaching for days he would wind up a past* after using the jets.  I didn't realize krafty didn't have the cash to keep him

haha sucks for krafty

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what woody said was dumb.  the fact you had multiple teams bidding on revis other than the jets pretty much ruins krafty's case.  nobody works free agency like revis, and he was going to work all teams to the end

I was preaching for days he would wind up a past* after using the jets.  I didn't realize krafty didn't have the cash to keep him

haha sucks for krafty

Revis was a FA for only 3 1/2 hours, what teams were bidding? After the contract was announced even Rex said that was too much,  He only visited the jets and 3 1/2 hours later they gave him 39mill in cash. 

Revis was a FA for only 3 1/2 hours, what teams were bidding? After the contract was announced even Rex said that was too much,  He only visited the jets and 3 1/2 hours later they gave him 39mill in cash. 

cash krafty doesn't have

hahahahahaha

Yeah, I guess so, I am used to reading some far out takes on stuff here.  I don't know the posters here well enough to know who to ignore yet.

I'm ted knight.  don't take me seriously or I will have to think about my posts and I hate that

Child please.

It is well within the rules for a team to talk about a player under contract.  Woody probably told Mac, "If Revis is a free agent, I want him back.  Make it happen."  This is not tampering. 

Child please.

Thor, of course that is within the rules, Teams set up thier FA boards just like they set up draft boards months before FA even begins. What is not within the rules is telling a reporter who is on that list of targets before free agency starts. The writer then publishes it and The Free agent to be knows what the market is. If every team did this every Free agent to be would now exactly how many teams are really interested in his services and improves his negotiating position with his existing team.

Now Mehta publishing just that is no reason for any concern normally, even if he he did attributed to jet sources, (I mean woody said so in a press conference already, the cat is out of the bag.) But when he published what the jets offer was, and it was the same $$ amount that Revis had asked the pats for the previous day, the coincidence was too great for the league to ignore. 

It's relevant because everyone knew Revis was going to test the FA market if he was available. And Revis knew that everyone knew it. This wasn't exactly some secret, nor was NE's cap situation.

The whole league isn't blind and ignorant. Woody's comments were, on paper, tampering. In actuality, things would have turned out the same. NE's way out of that was to lock up a valued player more than a week before they were forced to pick up an option everyone knew they weren't picking up.

Sperm, just because "everyone knew" that Revis was going to test the market, why would that affect it?  By that assumption, once a player says in sept that he won't negotiate during the season and will go to FA in March it is ok to tamper with him. Revis was still playing for the pats when woody made his appeal.

Nasty? C'mon lighten up. It was a play on you yourself saying you've told us over and over (even though I didn't see the others).

Internet points. lol

ya my post came off different than i intended. was taking a shot at those who post "hey i said that last week!" to every post as if comparing me to them was hugely insulting... you know what they say if you have to explain a joke it isn't funny

As much as I can't stand Mehta ... I would be a staunch supporter if he continued to expose the corruption of the Kraft / Goodell relationship. Does anyone else think that the Pats home field record his almost as suspicious as their impossible turnover history? This team needs to be exposed and drawn and quartered before the Masses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, we will all find out next week what happens.  I think the owners meeting in Arizona is where they decide on the tampering charges/penalties if any.    Likely to lose a 7th or so given prior examples of owners talking about other players under contract. 

Frankly I was surprised that nothing came from Woody talking about DeSean Jackson.    That seemed worst in my book.  He actually said the jets would be interested depending on the price and fit (he was still a member of the eagles then).   A clear declaration of interest in a player.   But maybe the eagles just didn't file any charges.

Also this might be of interest.  It is a report of the last time tampering charges were enforced and how much it cost.   Note, however, that in all cases it seems like contact wiht a representative (more so than an owner's statement) drove the compensation.

In recent years, at least two violations have been enforced.

In 2011, the Lions initially lost a seventh-round pick and had to swap fifth-round selections with the Chiefs after defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham made comments to a reporter about interest in a Chiefs player who was still under contract. The Lions were also found to have made "impermissible contact" with a Chiefs player or his agent. The Lions appealed, and while they still had to flip fifth-round picks with the Chiefs, they wound up losing a conditional choice in 2012 that turned out to be a sixth-rounder because they had made the playoffs in 2011.

And in 2008, the league forced the 49ers to forfeit a fifth-round pick and to switch third-round choices with the Bears for having contacted Lance Briggs's agent during the 2007 season.

It should be noted that, in both of those instances, the Lions and Niners had also reached out to a player or to one of his representatives. 

The Jets were also accused of tampering when the Patriots traded receiver Deion Branch to the Seahawks in 2006. The Pats alleged that their negotiating position was compromised because Jets had disclosed to Branch's camp that the teams had engaged in trade talks. The league eventually cleared the Jets of any charges.

There are a few layers to it.

Did they want him?  Of course they did.  He was as valuable to the defense as Brady is to the offense.  He makes it sooo much better.

Could they have paid a fair market value last year?  If I remember correctly, I think they had a few million available.  In the end I think this was the point that sealed him leaving after his love for NY and money.  While I think the Patriots got close, I doubt it was 39 guaranteed in the first three year.  It was likely a structured one where he got so much every year.

While I agree with your point about him not wanting to risk injury, I think if push came down to shove, he would gamble on Revis becoming a FA at the end of the year.

Revis wants guaranteed $. If NE offered it up during the season with some 10 games left he would have grabbed it IMO. Revis knows how fast an ACL injury can change one's future.

Revis wants guaranteed $. If NE offered it up during the season with some 10 games left he would have grabbed it IMO. Revis knows how fast an ACL injury can change one's future.

But what does that have to do with the tampering charge? Are you saying that if the pats would have signed him to a 5 year contract, woody would not have tampered so that it is the patriots fault that woody tampered?

How did it change his future? Oh yeah, he got a super bowl ring that he would not have gotten.

Well, we will all find out next week what happens.  I think the owners meeting in Arizona is where they decide on the tampering charges/penalties if any.    Likely to lose a 7th or so given prior examples of owners talking about other players under contract. 

Frankly I was surprised that nothing came from Woody talking about DeSean Jackson.    That seemed worst in my book.  He actually said the jets would be interested depending on the price and fit (he was still a member of the eagles then).   A clear declaration of interest in a player.   But maybe the eagles just didn't file any charges.

The eagles did not press charges. And that was IMO a much less serious event.  The eagles were trying to trade him,  or at least they were rampant rumors of it.

Also this might be of interest.  It is a report of the last time tampering charges were enforced and how much it cost.   Note, however, that in all cases it seems like contact wiht a representative (more so than an owner's statement) drove the compensation.

In 2011, the Lions initially lost a seventh-round pick and had to swap fifth-round selections with the Chiefs after defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham made comments to a reporter about interest in a Chiefs player who was still under contract. The Lions were also found to have made "impermissible contact" with a Chiefs player or his agent. The Lions appealed, and while they still had to flip fifth-round picks with the Chiefs, they wound up losing a conditional choice in 2012 that turned out to be a sixth-rounder because they had made the playoffs in 2011.

And in 2008, the league forced the 49ers to forfeit a fifth-round pick and to switch third-round choices with the Bears for having contacted Lance Briggs's agent during the 2007 season.

It should be noted that, in both of those instances, the Lions and Niners had also reached out to a player or to one of his representatives. 

The Jets were also accused of tampering when the Patriots traded receiver Deion Branch to the Seahawks in 2006. The Pats alleged that their negotiating position was compromised because Jets had disclosed to Branch's camp that the teams had engaged in trade talks. The league eventually cleared the Jets of any charges.

good find.  tampering that gets punished so far is illegal contact.  what woody said is dumb.  his problem is it is the second time.  goodell will probably throw krafty a bone and take the jets 7th because jets

The Revis case is the only case of the three (4 with Jackson) that you mention, that the team was actively trying to hold on to the player in question. The pats were trying to trade Branch, they just did ot want him to know about it, Philly was trying to trade Jackson and Chicago called SF on a proposed trade. And the one case you do not mention Parcells, both the coach and kraft admitted that their relationship was only going to be good for one more year as parcells was going to leave/get fired.

In the chicago/SF case. Chicago tagged Briggs and then they called SF if SF had any interest in trading for Briggs, they told Chicago they did and would get back to the bears. SF then contacted Rosenhaus (sp) and asked what kind of a contract would he expect and they talked money. The bears then told SF they were no longer interested in trading him and decided to sign him long term, when they proposed a deal, Rosenhaus said no way SF said they would have paid him X. The bears then filed charges.

Now in SF defense, when a team has traded in tagged player in the past, permission was given for a deal to be made with the player. SF just assumed this was the case and they were pissed that they got charged with tampering after being asked to trade for a tagged player.  

In the Detroit case, Gunther Cunningham never mentioned a player by name, everyone assumed it was Page (who ended up getting traded to the pats), IMO that was hardly considered tampering as he only expressed interest if a player was cut, and since page was a 5th rd pick he was not going to be asked to take a pay cut as he was not making much more than vet min to begin with. This was a case of an assistant coach who could not sign a player if his life depended on it.  

The Revis case is the only case of the three (4 with Jackson) that you mention, that the team was actively trying to hold on to the player in question. The pats were trying to trade Branch, they just did ot want him to know about it, Philly was trying to trade Jackson and Chicago called SF on a proposed trade. And the one case you do not mention Parcells, both the coach and kraft admitted that their relationship was only going to be good for one more year as parcells was going to leave/get fired.

In the chicago/SF case. Chicago tagged Briggs and then they called SF if SF had any interest in trading for Briggs, they told Chicago they did and would get back to the bears. SF then contacted Rosenhaus (sp) and asked what kind of a contract would he expect and they talked money. The bears then told SF they were no longer interested in trading him and decided to sign him long term, when they proposed a deal, Rosenhaus said no way SF said they would have paid him X. The bears then filed charges.

Now in SF defense, when a team has traded in tagged player in the past, permission was given for a deal to be made with the player. SF just assumed this was the case and they were pissed that they got charged with tampering after being asked to trade for a tagged player.  

In the Detroit case, Gunther Cunningham never mentioned a player by name, everyone assumed it was Page (who ended up getting traded to the pats), IMO that was hardly considered tampering as he only expressed interest if a player was cut, and since page was a 5th rd pick he was not going to be asked to take a pay cut as he was not making much more than vet min to begin with. This was a case of an assistant coach who could not sign a player if his life depended on it.  

Sure, all good points.   I was just digging up a report from last times of tampering.    We will hopefully find out this week what the league things of the tampering charges and we can all move on.  I expect at minimum a fine for Woody, but possibly a low draft pick too.   He might have gotten the slap on the wrist last year with the DJax comments.   Of course if the NFL found any evidence of tampering with the actual agent then all bets are off, although I doubt that to be the case.

A worst case of jets potentially tampering was probably the Crabtree San Fran debacle.  After he was drafted, he was refusing to sign the rookie deal and SF filed tampering charges against Tanny and the jets arguing that jets were making it difficult for Crabtree to sign (probably so they could trade for him).  In that case, it would seem that it would really impact a team's ability to sign a team.

I don't fault the pats for filing tampering charges.  If the shoe was on the other foot we would be upset at the pats and arguing to file charges too.   But in this case, it doesn't seem like much.  Revis was always going to go where the money was the largest and an onwer saying that he would love to have the player is a minor infraction (and just stupid really by Woody who keeps doing this).

Who is talking about the option,  yes it was widely assumed that a extension was going to be offered and the pats were not going to pick it up. The tampering was telling the media, that the guy that did not want him was fired and the owner wanted him back and that it was a mistake not to sign him last year. The front office then tells Mehta what the offer was going to be and he publishes it during the time when the Pats are trying to get him to sign a deal, that would make him the highest paid CB long term even though he is 4 years older than his comparables , haden, sherman and Peterson. Revis tells the pats that is now the starting point and the pats fold. You can't tell a member of the media that you want a player on another team. That is tempering, never mind telling him what the offer is going to be. 

Woody was responding to the criticism of the media that the owner didn't want Revis last year, I love how you Pats fans have deluded yourself into the lame tampering charges that we all knew was going to happen regardless, all anybody needed to do was refer to the 30-30 on Belichick, that entire organization, top to bottom, and their miserable insecure, inferiority complexed fans are obsessed with the Jets.

And LOL @ you and any delusional Pats fan that thinks Mehta got *ANY* information from the current Jets regime!!!

Great find, and boom goes the Pats fans hope the lame tampering charge will come of anything against the jets.

Now about deflategate?

Sure, all good points.   I was just digging up a report from last times of tampering.    We will hopefully find out this week what the league things of the tampering charges and we can all move on.  I expect at minimum a fine for Woody, but possibly a low draft pick too.   He might have gotten the slap on the wrist last year with the DJax comments.   Of course if the NFL found any evidence of tampering with the actual agent then all bets are off, although I doubt that to be the case.

What does contacting the agent and telling him what that there is interest in the player different from telling the whole world, that there is interest? How is telling Mehta what the jets offer will be so that he can publish it any different than telling the agent himself?  As soon as that article was published, the patriots said Revis changed his demands and the pats then dropped out.

Below is the rule, there is no distinction made between directly contacting either the player, his agent of talking about it to the media. 

From the league’s anti-tampering policy: “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: ‘He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.’)”

9 months before Woody said that in December, the season was not even over for the pats. Revis never said squat about it being a one year deal, within weeks of that press conference Revis said that he thought it was really just a one year deal.  If Woody never said the jets were interested, there was no way of Revis knowing before he became a free agent that his first choice of team was back in play.  Before that presser what woody said on Revis was that he was talented but his constant contract demands were at odds with the teams vision and that was why he was traded and why when tampa cut him loose, they did not resign him.

What does contacting the agent and telling him what that there is interest in the player different from telling the whole world, that there is interest? How is telling Mehta what the jets offer will be so that he can publish it any different than telling the agent himself?  As soon as that article was published, the patriots said Revis changed his demands and the pats then dropped out.

Below is the rule, there is no distinction made between directly contacting either the player, his agent of talking about it to the media. 

From the league’s anti-tampering policy: “Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: ‘He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.’)”

9 months before Woody said that in December, the season was not even over for the pats. Revis never said squat about it being a one year deal, within weeks of that press conference Revis said that he thought it was really just a one year deal.  If Woody never said the jets were interested, there was no way of Revis knowing before he became a free agent that his first choice of team was back in play.  Before that presser what woody said on Revis was that he was talented but his constant contract demands were at odds with the teams vision and that was why he was traded and why when tampa cut him loose, they did not resign him.

This right here is why your entire angle and spin is so downright delusional.

Fact, Revis wanted the Jets last year before he became a Patriot, Woody had already talked about how Revis was a talented player and his contract demands influenced the team to go in a new direction, did this stop Revis from giving his agents the directive to first check with the Jets before moving on?  No

Fact, the media had their own agenda in interviewing Woody about how Woody did not want Revis on the team, Woody simply responded with a rebuttal that the media was wrong, this in no way influenced the Pats to either low-ball over offer an open check to Retain Revis, it was already well-known, the Jets weren't the only team interested in Revis.

LOL @ you for thinking that the only way Revis knew that the Jets were interested in his services was because of Woody's interview to the press during last season, when you yourself have admitted there are ways for agents to find out about their clients' interest on the market

I mean, would you please shut up, the amount of crap you are throwing on this board is just so delusional, it's embarrassing even for the more savvy Pats fan, and you are usually better than this.

But what does that have to do with the tampering charge? Are you saying that if the pats would have signed him to a 5 year contract, woody would not have tampered so that it is the patriots fault that woody tampered?

How did it change his future? Oh yeah, he got a super bowl ring that he would not have gotten.

I'm saying that because NE didn't lock him up when they really had the chance, and by waiting until his injury risk was over, they invited competition for his services. Short of guaranteeing him $50M, he was going to test the waters whether or not Woody opened his big yapper in January.

I, like most, viewed Mehta as a huge troll over the past few years and disregarded everything he wrote. Looking back though, maybe it was partly him trolling, but also that the organization was being run moronically and we were an easy team to make fun of. Ever since this new regime has taken over, I feel like we are operating as a top NFL organization and there is not much to poke fun at since we are doing things the right way. Maybe, in a weird way, Mehta has played a role in the recent fan outcry that resulted in Woody's process of hiring the right regime. 

This right here is why your entire angle and spin is so downright delusional.

Fact, Revis wanted the Jets last year before he became a Patriot, Woody had already talked about how Revis was a talented player and his contract demands influenced the team to go in a new direction, did this stop Revis from giving his agents the directive to first check with the Jets before moving on?  No

Fact, the media had their own agenda in interviewing Woody about how Woody did not want Revis on the team, Woody simply responded with a rebuttal that the media was wrong, this in no way influenced the Pats to either low-ball over offer an open check to Retain Revis, it was already well-known, the Jets weren't the only team interested in Revis.

LOL @ you for thinking that the only way Revis knew that the Jets were interested in his services was because of Woody's interview to the press during last season, when you yourself have admitted there are ways for agents to find out about their clients' interest on the market

I mean, would you please shut up, the amount of crap you are throwing on this board is just so delusional, it's embarrassing even for the more savvy Pats fan, and you are usually better than this.

1. Yes,  Revis wanted to go to the jets after Tampa, and they told him no thanks, he then went to the pats. Then Woody press conference said that they made a mistake in not taking Revis back, and he fired the GM that made the mistake and he should have taken him for the same deal that he got in NE. And that he would welcome him back.

And if I remember correctly your take on him giving the jets first dibs on the JI board was that he just said it to make the jet FO look bad and he really wanted to go to NE to show up the FO.

2. It does not matter the media's role in it. The rules are clear and you heard other FO types on other teams say the same thing, "I can not comment on players on other teams". of course his rebuttal as you call it did not cause the pats to low ball Revis, just the opposite! They now knew that his first choice team was back in the hunt but more importantly and more pertinent to this discussion was that it told Revis that the jets were now interested when9 months earlier they told him to get lost.

3. yes they are ways of finding out if a team is interested in your client. But when your agent is trying to dispose the head of the union and take his place in the election that is going on at the same time, he would not take the chance the the league is setting him up with tampering charge. The league is scared of Gilbert and does not want him as the head of the union.  This would give Smith a reason not to sanction him as an agent. The player's union are the body that "licensces" agents and this would paint Gilbert in a bad light.  

I'm saying that because NE didn't lock him up when they really had the chance, and by waiting until his injury risk was over, they invited competition for his services. Short of guaranteeing him $50M, he was going to test the waters whether or not Woody opened his big yapper in January.

Well, that is your opinion and it may very well be the majority opinion, but the pats were in better position to deal with other teams than they were with the jets. He played for the pats and got a ring.  What other team was going to make him the highest paid corner in the game and give him a better shot at another ring. Denver, not with Harris and Talib, Seattle- no way.  Indy- yeah maybe, the bills- like Rex but even Rex said that the what the jets paid was too rich. Would he have paid more than the 13.5 that the pats had on the table? 

Once Mehta published that offer/deal and revis changed his demands fro the highest paid to 16 mill and 40 mill guaranteed the pats dropped out, They knew all they would be have to overpay him over the jets offer to keep him from going back to his first choice.  Your saying the jets being interested once again, when they weren't earlier in the league would have no bearing on the price the pats were going to have to pay to keep him, If he continued to believe the jets did not want him, it was easier for the pats to keep him, once he knew the jets wanted him, it was an uphill battle for the pats. When it should not have been until 4:01 on Tuesday March the 10th.

I, like most, viewed Mehta as a huge troll over the past few years and disregarded everything he wrote. Looking back though, maybe it was partly him trolling, but also that the organization was being run moronically and we were an easy team to make fun of. Ever since this new regime has taken over, I feel like we are operating as a top NFL organization and there is not much to poke fun at since we are doing things the right way. Maybe, in a weird way, Mehta has played a role in the recent fan outcry that resulted in Woody's process of hiring the right regime. 

The media has a role to play in the equation. What their job is supposed to be is to question, critique and criticize the team when appropriate.  They are supposed to tell fans sh*t that fans don't want to hear, but should know.  A lot of fans were behind the jets past FO and coaching staff. Those fans did not want hear negative crap, but the media as objective observers are supposed to present it.  What ruins it is when the media think that they are part of the show and not part of the equation. And that their views are entertainment like the teams they cover and not maintain a sense journalism.  Rex in a clown suit, sh*t like that.

I don't disagree that if the jets used Mehta to relay a message to Revis that it is a problem. I just don't believe that is the case. Mehta is not the most well liked reporter in jets management's eyes. I think it is much more likely that revis' agents advertised the price tag in the paper via mehta. They have a history of talking. And mehta has served as their mouthpiece before.

I have seen many ridiculous things in my life when it comes to the Jets. Way too many.

But opposing fans blaming Manish Mehta for bad things happening to their own franchises...that is pretty, very, kinda awesomely amazing.

No fan of the pats is blaming Mehta for his role in this. He had stories, from good sources and he wrote them. That is what he is supposed to do. I have a problem with him telling the pats to quit whinning about the tampering and its no big deal, but the press conference last December was not even over and he already tweeted that what he said was tampering. 

Patriot fans (at least me) are not even mad at the jets, they wanted the best player that ever played for them back and they were willing to move hell or high water to get him back, if that included tampering, who cares! bottom line is they got Revis back.  But they did tamper and compensation is due IMO

Archived