Wilkerson not present for OTAs

DaBallhawk

Much will be decided depending on what the Jets do in the draft .   

Cooper could mean the end of Kerley and 2mil in cap savings.

An edge rusher could mean the end of Pace or Babin or both .

Sad to say but Cumberland is a candidate for cap savings.

Not all those OLmen we signed will be around here.

We save more money but adjusting the cap hit that's on the books as of today for Wilkerson and Snacks when their contracts are addressed.

Lots of work left to be done before the start of training camp, but right now, it's time to prepare for the draft.  These players are probably going to be on the team and anyone at a position picked will have a problem. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're not all saying that.

I think they are fully expecting to deal with Snacks and Wilkerson after the draft.  I don't think Wilkerson failing to show up for OTA's is a surprise.  I think they still have plenty of money to monkey around with.  Particularly when you consider how these deals will be structured.

Why would you do it after the draft? What if Wilk wants 15 and snacks wants 8? You would want to change your draft to reflect that.

And I agree that both can certainly be done in the current cap structure. The jets have about 6 mill after "obligations" . Together Wilk and Snacks eat up 9 mill. using Oldrick and Atkins as comps for them . Oldrick got 5 years 8 mill and Atkins is around 11 mill .  9mill (current salary) + 6 mill in capspace = 15 mill , Snacks 1st year cap hit will be about 5 and Wilk about 8 so about 13 mill for both. 

Why would you do it after the draft? What if Wilk wants 15 and snacks wants 8? You would want to change your draft to reflect that.

And I agree that both can certainly be done in the current cap structure. The jets have about 6 mill after "obligations" . Together Wilk and Snacks eat up 9 mill. using Oldrick and Atkins as comps for them . Oldrick got 5 years 8 mill and Atkins is around 11 mill .  9mill (current salary) + 6 mill in capspace = 15 mill , Snacks 1st year cap hit will be about 5 and Wilk about 8 so about 13 mill for both. 

Why change the draft?  They are both locked up this year at least.  If they are gone we have plenty of money to sign replacements. 

Atkins is a 3 time pro bowler and All Pro, Mo not so much.. Who is Oldrick??

Why change the draft?  They are both locked up this year at least.  If they are gone we have plenty of money to sign replacements. 

I don't know what you mean by plenty of money, Jason ha the jets at 130mill already for next year. and that does not include the 4 mill for this years draft choices that will be on the team next year.  even if the cap goes up by 6 mill next year that will be 150-134 or 16 mill and that does not include contracts for Snacks, Coples, Davis or Wilkenson,

Just tagging Wilk  you will eat up about 15mill of it. 

Atkins is a 3 time pro bowler and All Pro, Mo not so much.. Who is Oldrick??

And that contract was signed 3 years ago when the cap was 119mil. if your looking at a 150 cap your looking at about a 20% increase. So Wilk getting paid 11 mill on a 150 cap

would be like Atkins getting 14 mill on a 150 cap.  If you think he is going to sign for the same as Odrick at 8.5, I don't know what to say.   

I don't know what you mean by plenty of money, Jason ha the jets at 130mill already for next year. and that does not include the 4 mill for this years draft choices that will be on the team next year.  even if the cap goes up by 6 mill next year that will be 150-134 or 16 mill and that does not include contracts for Snacks, Coples, Davis or Wilkenson,

Just tagging Wilk  you will eat up about 15mill of it. 

If they tag Wilkerson, why do they need a replacement?  I am not saying it is the best way to do things, but I'm sure they have an idea of the parameters.  They have plenty of guys to cut - IIRC, Cro and Marshall could be dumped and save $15M or so.  So, if Milliner or MacDougle is better and they draft Amari Cooper - BANG!  Problem solved.

If they tag Wilkerson, why do they need a replacement?  I am not saying it is the best way to do things, but I'm sure they have an idea of the parameters.  They have plenty of guys to cut - IIRC, Cro and Marshall could be dumped and save $15M or so.  So, if Milliner or MacDougle is better and they draft Amari Cooper - BANG!  Problem solved.

then what about Snacks, Coples and Davis? To me Idzik was afraid to pull the trigger and these guys think they have a machine gun with auto fire on.

Marshal was well worth the 140th pick or whatever, twice the player Harvin is and a great pickup. Revis needed to be signed for the fan's sake. Fitzpatrick was a great value. Henderson is very much worth the effort. Asa matter of fact all these small dollar moves the jets made IMO have been good value.

But Carpenter, Gilcrist, and Skrine  are all vastly overpaid.  I think Gilcrist got more than Rahim Moore!  I like Skrine but he is only on the field against certain players, he is effective against those players but 6 mill for a 30 snap guy is a lot.

then what about Snacks, Coples and Davis? To me Idzik was afraid to pull the trigger and these guys think they have a machine gun with auto fire on.

Marshal was well worth the 140th pick or whatever, twice the player Harvin is and a great pickup. Revis needed to be signed for the fan's sake. Fitzpatrick was a great value. Henderson is very much worth the effort. Asa matter of fact all these small dollar moves the jets made IMO have been good value.

But Carpenter, Gilcrist, and Skrine  are all vastly overpaid.  I think Gilcrist got more than Rahim Moore!  I like Skrine but he is only on the field against certain players, he is effective against those players but 6 mill for a 30 snap guy is a lot.

There are two different things going on here.  You asked if they could pay those guys  and the answer is they can.  That doesn't mean I love every move.  Still, there is plenty of money to moved around to deal with Snacks, Coples and Davis.  That's assuming they even want those guys back. 

Skrine, Gilchrist and Carpenter may be vastly overpaid or maybe not.  There were a bunch of teams looking at Skrine.  Gilchrist has almost no guarantee AFAIK.  Nothing past this year.  He gets more than Moore, but Moore has more guaranteed.  Cro has no guarantee past this year.  Giacomini can come off the books.  $3-5M or so.  I think Skrine is basically only guaranteed for the next two ($13M) - easy to cut after 2016.  Likewise, Carpenter has about a $5M guarantee.  The structure of the contracts may indicate the need for cash spending. 

I don't blindly support every move, but if they wanted these players, I don't see them as particularly cap prohibitive.  Not to keeping Richardson, Wilkerson and Harrison and not to adding a big dollar QB.  Good teams deal with this sh*t all the time.  The Pats always do.  Very rarely do teams end up gutted like this seasons Saints. I am a little concerned that there were so many moves, but this team needed bodies. If the draft is even modestly successful, they will be in fine shape.

Much will be decided depending on what the Jets do in the draft .   

Cooper could mean the end of Kerley and 2mil in cap savings.

An edge rusher could mean the end of Pace or Babin or both .

Sad to say but Cumberland is a candidate for cap savings.

Not all those OLmen we signed will be around here.

We save more money but adjusting the cap hit that's on the books as of today for Wilkerson and Snacks when their contracts are addressed.

Lots of work left to be done before the start of training camp, but right now, it's time to prepare for the draft.  These players are probably going to be on the team and anyone at a position picked will have a problem. 

Kerley isn't going anywhere, first off he has been probably the most reliable WR on the team as he is the only one who isn't constantly injured, secondly we wouldn't save 2m in cap space, we would get 2m in dead money and save 200,000. Plenty of better candidates to cut for cap space.

Kerley isn't going anywhere, first off he has been probably the most reliable WR on the team as he is the only one who isn't constantly injured, secondly we wouldn't save 2m in cap space, we would get 2m in dead money and save 200,000. Plenty of better candidates to cut for cap space.

Well except for last year.. :winking0001:

Archived