Wilkerson not present for OTAs

DaBallhawk

Not a big deal to me and I hope it's nothing big but still this isn't the best way to kick things off...

Also, Mangold & Revis reporting in. Posted this in the FA thread but thought I'd throw it in here as well while we're at it...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is getting $7M this year.  This is not like the $1.5 or so he had been getting previously.  I would be shocked if he held out.  All that would do is delay his pay day and under the new CBA, I think they would fine the living sh*t out of him.  This is probably just a little power play - get the Jets to negotiate now and keep him from getting injured before he signs the new deal.  .

With the offseason Mo just saw and the check they cut for David Harris....I wouldnt be shocked if he was a little upset with Big Mac. 

Then maybe Mo should wait until he's about to become a free agent in order to get a check cut like Harris. Harris played through his contract, and didnt decide to miss workouts and waited until he completed his contract before he signed this one. 

The man deserves to get paid.  I don't expect it but wouldn't be surprised if he is a holdout.  

He does deserve to get paid, but it doesnt have to be by us. Richardson has made this guy not as much a priority as people like to assume. I'd love to keep both, but Im extremely glad that Mac isn't falling into the 80-to-100 million dollar contract foolery. If I had to decide on signing Wilk to a huge contract but losing Richardson or letting Wilk play out his contract, franchising him then paying Richardson the big bucks I will definitely take the latter given Richardson imo is the better player. 

I still say you trade him. 

He does deserve to get paid, but it doesnt have to be by us. Richardson has made this guy not as much a priority as people like to assume. I'd love to keep both, but Im extremely glad that Mac isn't falling into the 80-to-100 million dollar contract foolery. If I had to decide on signing Wilk to a huge contract but losing Richardson or letting Wilk play out his contract, franchising him then paying Richardson the big bucks I will definitely take the latter given Richardson imo is the better player. 

I still say you trade him. 

I'm hoping theres a way we can lock them both down long term.  

I would like him to be there but it is what it is.  Contract situations in the NFL can get dicey/personal

because of the lack of guaranteed deals.  With the way teams can cut players at the drop of the hat

I understand why players hold out.  Hopefully fans don't make personal attacks against Wilkerson as

this situation plays out

alot of people are going to panic and say the team spent all their money and have none left for MO 

but that's not how this deal would be constructed. Like most big deals, they would lower Mo's 2015 cap number and back load the bonus. 

They need to sign him.. They need to keep this DLine intact AND add pass rushers. We need this D to be best in the league. Monster D will cure lots of ills.

Also...lets not forget, and I know you haven't, Mr. Bundchen is in our division.

He's under contract so no need to do anything.  Voluntary workouts so no need to show up.   ONLY in the NFL do you have to read through all the lines of what is supposed to be happening , lol.

Mo has been a good guy saying all the right hings these past few years.  Not being there is a big statement from him but lets see if its just for an eye opener and he will show up soon.  We do need to lock him up but as Villain the Foe said, Richardson is probably the better player and we need to lock him up too. 

Let's see how long he holds out if Leonard Williams somehow falls to 6.

So instead of potentially making the team better you'd rather draft picks just equal out former stars they don't want to pay a la Milliner for Revis....given without the need for CB the Jets would have taken Richardson at 9 instead.

Wasnt harris a free agent? Mo isnt so u cant really compare the situations.

Then maybe Mo should wait until he's about to become a free agent in order to get a check cut like Harris. Harris played through his contract, and didnt decide to miss workouts and waited until he completed his contract before he signed this one. 

Yep...Harris was...forgot about that.

Still Harris sucks and Mo doesnt so Mo is probably like, wtf???

Or he's just missing a voluntary workout and this is a none story.

I'm hoping theres a way we can lock them both down long term.  

I am in no way against that. But in regards to some of the contracts that people are talking on this site I will trade Mo Wilkerson and wouldnt think twice about it. 

If it was up to me he'd be a Tampa Bay Buc come draft night. 

I am in no way against that. But in regards to some of the contracts that people are talking on this site I will trade Mo Wilkerson and wouldnt think twice about it.

If it was up to me he'd be a Tampa Bay Buc come draft night. 

The numbers are crazy.  Assuming we get something of high quality in return I would have no problem trading him. - very good player, not great - I think this fan base over-hypes him a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot but it's a position of strength for this team and if push comes to shove I would much rather keep Richardson over him.

So instead of potentially making the team better you'd rather draft picks just equal out former stars they don't want to pay a la Milliner for Revis....given without the need for CB the Jets would have taken Richardson at 9 instead.

If Wiilliams fell to six, you would draft him to replace Wilkerson and get a #1 in(and potentially a lower pick as well) for Wilk...so yeah, you would be improving the team.

This is why you always draft the best player available regardless of position or need. We had Wilkerson and Coples on the Roster and yet we took Richardson. Now, we have a possible disgruntled player who wants a new contract despite the fact that his rookie contract is not yet up.

Wilkerson has a point and deserve to get paid, but our GM finds himself in a position where he doesn't have to address this issue because he has options. 

With Coples and Richardson on the roster along with Wilkerson, what can Wilkerson add to this team via a trade and save us against the cap.

Fans have the luxury to fall in love with players, but smart GMs with options, take advantage of those options.

It's why you always take the best player available regardless of position or need.

The numbers are crazy.  Assuming we get something of high quality in return I would have no problem trading him. - very good player, not great - I think this fan base over-hypes him a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot but it's a position of strength for this team and if push comes to shove I would much rather keep Richardson over him.

Thats my exact position. 

We have the $ going forward, just lock him up and follow suit with Richardson a year from now.  

I get that Jets fans overhype him a bit but im surprised that so many are willing to deal him away for a good value of picks

We have the $ going forward, just lock him up and follow suit with Richardson a year from now.  

I get that Jets fans overhype him a bit but im surprised that so many are willing to deal him away for a good value of picks

We dont have the cash right now to do it. We're about 10 million under the cap and still have to sign rookies, depth players and Mike Glennon. 

We dont have the cash right now to do it. We're about 10 million under the cap and still have to sign rookies, depth players and Mike Glennon. 

Wilkerson makes 7 this year, you can give him a deal starting next year or structure a new deal with a low year 1 total.  

We have very limited young talent on this team.  In 2 years we will be in the same position as this year with a boat load of money under the cap.   Wilkerson has 6-8 more years of ball left in him,  yet we should deal him for picks

Nobody really wants to deal Wilkerson, but if the right deal is place in front of you the option won't really hurt the team with Richardson and Coples on the roster

Archived