Buffalo gets C- grade in a draft they haven't picked yet

jgb

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A "C-" is probably the best grade Rex has ever gotten.

Seriously, now that we know how he runs an NFL franchise as a HC, it's just beyond me how anyone can be excited about this clown running their franchise.

A bit ironic to be crowing about beating a team that came out flat, but exalting the guy incharge of making sure that doesn't happen.

Actually,  I wasn't crowing about beating your team.  Just defending our man Sammy Watkins -  

Actually,  I wasn't crowing about beating your team.  Just defending our man Sammy Watkins -  

rex is running your draft.  can't wait to see which clemson kid he takes in the 7th, lol

A "C-" is probably the best grade Rex has ever gotten.

Seriously, now that we know how he runs an NFL franchise as a HC, it's just beyond me how anyone can be excited about this clown running their franchise.

Most of the NFL has given the nod on this one.  

rex is running your draft.  can't wait to see which clemson kid he takes in the 7th, lol

Ithink Greg Roman chose John Miller (just my opinion).  If we can get another Sammy Watkins from Clemson,  I'll take it.  Good Luck to your team  this year.  I like the Jets and will be rooting for your team except when they play the Bills of course.   :eusa_angel:

Ithink Greg Roman chose John Miller (just my opinion).  If we can get another Sammy Watkins from Clemson,  I'll take it.  Good Luck to your team  this year.  I like the Jets and will be rooting for your team except when they play the Bills of course.   :eusa_angel:

the clemson guy we got was tajh boyd

watkins is a beast, clemson is a big-time program, but giving the HC a flier on a late pick to shut him up and keep him happy is bizarre

I like the bills roster.  I actually think there are many similarities to the jets

awesome front 7, no QB

sad face

the clemson guy we got was tajh boyd

watkins is a beast, clemson is a big-time program, but giving the HC a flier on a late pick to shut him up and keep him happy is bizarre

I like the bills roster.  I actually think there are many similarities to the jets

awesome front 7, no QB

sad face

Larz:  I'm a diehard Bills' Fan since the early 70's.  My motto:  My team (and all its parts) right or wrong, my team.  I agree that the Jets/Bils teams are quite similar.  In terms of a QB,  I have a lot of faith in Greg Roman.  I think and am hoping that he can develop one of our men.  If we were to play today,  I would say Tyrod Taylor would be starting.  The new nickname for our Front 7 - The Cold Front 

Larz:  I'm a diehard Bills' Fan since the early 70's.  My motto:  My team (and all its parts) right or wrong, my team.  I agree that the Jets/Bils teams are quite similar.  In terms of a QB,  I have a lot of faith in Greg Roman.  I think and am hoping that he can develop one of our men.  If we were to play today,  I would say Tyrod Taylor would be starting.  The new nickname for our Front 7 - The Cold Front 

how did you like the clemson pick ?   lol

rex picking his sons friends

unreal

unreal

You might have a point here.  Time will tell.  We haven't re-signed Brandon Spikes  (hope we do)   and Kiko Alonso is gone so we  can use another LB .       My position right now is to trust that our GM and Scouts are doing their jobs.  

unreal

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tony-steward?id=2553445

guy wasn't even graded or scouted lol

Steward himself admits, he did not see the pick coming.

“I am pretty shocked, honestly,” Steward explained. “I didn’t really talk to the Bills. I talked to Rex Ryan a little bit. It was a big surprise and a it’s a dream come true. It is exciting.”

Yes and so were the Jets' Fans when he first came as HC. This is our time now.

SOME Jet fans cheered the Rex hire, but in their defense he wasn't coming off of 4 franchise destroying seasons.

There's really no reason for a rational Bills fan to be excited, or boastful, the appropriate mindset would be hopeful and unsure of what you're really getting.

You might have a point here. Time will tell. We haven't re-signed Brandon Spikes (hope we do) and Kiko Alonso is gone so we can use another LB . My position right now is to trust that our GM and Scouts are doing their jobs.

They'll do their jobs, then Rex will get his way anyway. It's already happening, lololol

Larz: I'm a diehard Bills' Fan since the early 70's. My motto: My team (and all its parts) right or wrong, my team. I agree that the Jets/Bils teams are quite similar. In terms of a QB, I have a lot of faith in Greg Roman. I think and am hoping that he can develop one of our men. If we were to play today, I would say Tyrod Taylor would be starting. The new nickname for our Front 7 - The Cold Front

Greg Roman will be the first scapegoat.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tony-steward?id=2553445

guy wasn't even graded or scouted lol

Steward himself admits, he did not see the pick coming.

“I am pretty shocked, honestly,” Steward explained. “I didn’t really talk to the Bills. I talked to Rex Ryan a little bit. It was a big surprise and a it’s a dream come true. It is exciting.”

Beautiful.

You might have a point here.  Time will tell.  We haven't re-signed Brandon Spikes  (hope we do)   and Kiko Alonso is gone so we  can use another LB .       My position right now is to trust that our GM and Scouts are doing their jobs.  

hey, you can be the first one to tell your friends why he drafts clemson kids in the late rounds, lol

I love the o'leary pick tho.  he has a chance to be a cult hero up there

SOME Jet fans cheered the Rex hire, but in their defense he wasn't coming off of 4 franchise destroying seasons.

There's really no reason for a rational Bills fan to be excited, or boastful, the appropriate mindset would be hopeful and unsure of what you're really getting.

I'll admit to being one of those that cheered the Rex hire.  In defense of that mindset, though, he did bring one quality to the franchise that it desperately needed, which was swagger.  The only problem was, as we found out while he destroyed the franchise over the past four years, was that there was quite literally nothing backing up that rather empty swagger.

You're right, there is zero reason for any Bills fan to be excited about this hire.  He has a track record now.  He is beyond incapable of running a franchise.  People have even begun to figure out his defense.  I'm actually thankful that he's in the division rather than going to the NFC.  After the initial adrenaline rush he provides wears off, he'll begin pulling the Bills out of contention and eventually completely out of relevance, leaving one less team we'll have to deal with as the AFC East becomes a bit more competitive.

Integrity:  I'll admit Rex is a big part of the Bills' Fans excitement but there's a lot more that provides hope.  One is coming off a 9-7 season after 15 years of being in the tank.  2) The hires we have made (pre-draft) to enhance our defense that finished 4th.  in the NFL.  3)  New owners that are doing whatever it takes to build a championship team  4)  Greg Roman (I am really high on him) and Aaron Kromer.  

At this stage of the game,  these factors give us hope and more hope that we had (during off season) for years.  Here is where the excitement lies. Only time will tell if all these changes leads us to the playoffs, championship, etc. I think we will learn early on during the season if all these changes are effective.   If we win our first two games (Colts and Patriots),  I'd say our new team is in real good place.  

"You're right, there is zero reason for any Bills fan to be excited about this hire." 

I just addressed this same comment in response to Integrity's post.  Please see my post above.  

hey, you can be the first one to tell your friends why he drafts clemson kids in the late rounds, lol

I love the o'leary pick tho.  he has a chance to be a cult hero up there

I think every team (including the Jets) has/had their share of choir boys 

OK, So I find this draft exceptionally interesting with respect to Rex.

So we often wondered how much influence Rex had over drafts.

I think this one may give us a solid glimpse into the answer.

The Jets draft for the first time since Mangini, seemed reasoned and logical, emphasizing best player early and gradually filling spots later as the players became more grouped. Of course time will tell, but we got a lot of good players, Almost 3 definite starters, a couple extra depth players, and some late round picks that could develop. Plus we got Marshall and Fitz as well.

On the other hand, Buffalo now has Rex, and Miami has Tanny who is the GM no matter what the titles.say.

Miami without Rex had a very reasoned and solid draft. 

Buffalo on the other hand, had a very Rex era type draft. Reach corner in the second round, a complete waste of a pick in the 6th allowing Rex to choose his son's friend that was not even scouted. In the sixth.

Pretty clear now that one of the problems with our drafts was the influence Rex had. My, but it is awesome he is gone.

I think every team (including the Jets) has/had their share of choir boys 

not sure what that means.  one year, rex drafted sanchez' friend to make him feel better.  that's true.  it was a WR named scotty mcknight

rex has taken over.  the next thing to look for is the QB's regressing because rex is telling them, "we win with defense and running the ball, don't screw it up"

rex has taken over.  the next thing to look for is the QB's regressing because rex is telling them, "we win with defense and running the ball, don't screw it up"

What would be hilarious, though, is for the QB (whoever it ends up being) replying right back to Rex: "Didn't exactly work out for you with the Jets, did it?"

not sure what that means.  one year, rex drafted sanchez' friend to make him feel better.  that's true.  it was a WR named scotty mcknight

choir boys -  players with a scurry/criminal past.

I am waiting to see the finished product on the field before I comment further.  Just enjoying the moment right now because ther's a lot to be excited about.  Buffalo has made a lot of moves in t he right direction - again,  this is exciting

What would be hilarious, though, is for the QB (whoever it ends up being) replying right back to Rex: "Didn't exactly work out for you with the Jets, did it?"

Don't forget that Greg Roman is OC -  Rex's words:  " Greg is going to run t he offense."  Love Greg Roman

choir boys -  players with a scurry/criminal past.

I am waiting to see the finished product on the field before I comment further.  Just enjoying the moment right now because ther's a lot to be excited about.  Buffalo has made a lot of moves in t he right direction - again,  this is exciting

umm

choir boys are the exact opposite of that

you are in the first phase of rex, loving the swagger.  it's cool, I've been there

OK, So I find this draft exceptionally interesting with respect to Rex.

So we often wondered how much influence Rex had over drafts.

I think this one may give us a solid glimpse into the answer.

The Jets draft for the first time since Mangini, seemed reasoned and logical, emphasizing best player early and gradually filling spots later as the players became more grouped. Of course time will tell, but we got a lot of good players, Almost 3 definite starters, a couple extra depth players, and some late round picks that could develop. Plus we got Marshall and Fitz as well.

On the other hand, Buffalo now has Rex, and Miami has Tanny who is the GM no matter what the titles.say.

Miami without Rex had a very reasoned and solid draft. 

Buffalo on the other hand, had a very Rex era type draft. Reach corner in the second round, a complete waste of a pick in the 6th allowing Rex to choose his son's friend that was not even scouted. In the sixth.

Pretty clear now that one of the problems with our drafts was the influence Rex had. My, but it is awesome he is gone.

Johnny:  Please don't forget the players we acquired before the draft.  Some pretty heavy hitters.  And yes,  we did have some positions to address during the draft but for the most part,  we acquired depth.  

2015 Jets Re-Draft

By GangGreenMag  @ZazzyJets on May 3, 2015, 10:29a 108

Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports

One of the biggest problems with mocking is that you have no idea what anyone is going to do, or who will be available. Well the draft is over, and I know exactly what teams did, and who was available for our picks. Now I can make my own picks based off of the same climate our GM was picking in for each round. This will be nice to revisit in a few years.

Round 1 - Pick 6

Actual Pick: Leonard Williams, DE/DT, USC

Re-Draft Pick: Leonard Williams, DE/DT, USC

There is absolutely nothing I would do to change this pick. Picking Leo had to be the guy. When the best player of the draft falls to you at 6, you don't even blink. Yes, we did try to trade back, but no one gave us what we wanted. I applaud Mike Maccagnan for sticking to his board, and not jumping ship to go after a position that was more of a need. I like Kevin White, but I didn't like him at 6. Vic Beasley was another option, but I feel like Todd Bowles prefers his edge guys with more size. Leo adds to our existing gluttony of talent along the D-line. It's going to be fun to see how Bowles uses all these guys together to lock down the line of scrimmage

Round 2 - Pick 37

Actual Pick: Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State

Re-Draft Pick: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma

This would have been a very hard pick for me if I were the GM. I would have had 3 WRs available that I love. Smith is the vertical threat we lack, and will fill that need admirably. The thing is, I believe he has 2nd round talent. DGB and Strong have first round talent. I am hearing there is some kind of wrist issue with Strong that is worrying a lot of teams, so I will trust our medical team. DGB on the other hand is healthy, and filled to the brim with talent. If it wasn't for his off the field issues, he would be a top 10 pick. The risk is there, but in the 2nd round, the reward over shadows that risk. His size, speed height combination would make him a matchup nightmare. If you put him next to our other matchup nightmares, our receiving core becomes a night terror. I am happy with Smith, but I feel like DGB could be a true #1 once Brandon Marshall is gone.

Round 3 - Pick 82 (Trade with Texens)

Actual Pick: Lorenzo Mauldin, DE/OLB, Louisville

Re-Draft Pick: Lorenzo Mauldin, DE/OLB, Louisville

Like our first pick, I wouldn't change a thing about this Mauldin selection. I have been very high on Lorenzo for a while now. @DrewFromJersey and I mocked him in the 2nd round of our 2nd mock. Mauldin is a fiery player that is cranked to 11 on every play. He is relentless in pursuit of the ball carrier, and plays with a heavy fist. Not only is he an amazing player that will grow in this ferocious defense, he is a great teammate. He has the mentality, and the temperament to be a beast on the edge, but does need to develop his technique a little. Another pick I was looking at was the RB out of Northern Iowa, David Johnson. In the end, Mauldin was the final piece we need to complete this defense

Round 4 - Pick 103 (Trade with Jaguars)

Actual Pick: Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor

Re-Draft Pick: T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh

I couldn't help but cringe when I saw this pick develop. I think the 4th round was way too early to grab a 3rd string QB. There is no way he is beating out either Fitzmagic or Geno Smith. We could have addressed a more dire need like our O-line. As a guy born and raised in Teaneck, I would have loved to have seen a hometown guy like Clemmings come to the Jets. Besides my hometown bias, Clemmings would have been a great value pick here in the 4th. A few weeks ago most had TJ as a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick. A foot injury has scared a lot of teams away until this point in the 4th. He is raw, but has all the natural talent in the world to be a very good tackle in the NFL. With D'Brickashaw ferguson getting older and more expensive, and Breno Giacomini not really showing anything more than mediocrity, Clemmings could have replaced one of them after a redshirt year.

Round 5 - Pick 152 (Trade with Texans)

Actual pick: Jarvis Harrison, OG, Texas A&M

Re-Draft Pick: Jarvis Harrison, OG, Texas A&M

It's really hard to not like this pick. Grabbing Jarvis here screams value. Harrison is said to have the talent to be a talented starter for years to come. Of course he didn't drop for no reason. He has some questions with his shoulder, and his work ethic. I trust our medical staff when it comes to evaluating stuff like that. As far as his work ethic goes, I feel like he will rally around this team. The AFC East has become the hunting ground for elite D-lines. If you don't have an O-line to match up with those guys, your QB won't be long for this planet. Harrison adds to a very young group of guards fighting for a spot on this team. Willie Colon may not be guaranteed a starting spot, and can be supplanted by one of these guys. Some other guys I was looking at with this pick were WR/CB Tony Lippett, TE Nick O'Leary or S Derron Smith. In the end, the need for talent along the O-line won out.

Round 7 - Pick 223

Actual Pick: Deon Simon, NT, Northwestern St. (LA)

Re-Draft Pick: Anthony Harris, S, Virginia

There must be something about Deon Simon that Mike Maccagnan and Bowles fell in love with. For me, I think there were a lot of other guys we could have gone with here. There are always talented guys that can contribute, that find themselves dropping to the 7th round. My guy is Anthony Harris. While watching tape for Eli Harold, I fell in love with Anthony Harris. He was always around the bal. He is a rangy safety, that has great instincts, and quick hips to break on the ball. He can also move quickly down hill, and attack the run. His tackling skills are top notch, and his football inteligence is obvious. I know we signed Marcus Gilchrist in free agency, but I don't see him as a ball hawking free safety that can go hunting throughout the deep end of the field. There are a number of other guys I would have been thrilled with here... WR Tre McBride, WR Dezmin Lewis, ILB Zach Vigil... Out of all these guys, I think Harris brings something to the table we don't already have.

Don't forget that Greg Roman is OC -  Rex's words:  " Greg is going to run t he offense."  Love Greg Roman

And we'll find out just how good Roman is.  He doesn't have the OC experience to this point to really deserve all the praise that he seems to get.  You'd think from listening to the media and, of course, Rex, that he's going to come in and save the Bills offense.  

His only NFL OC job has been with the 49ers, where it could probably be argued that Jim Harbaugh had a big hand in things, being a former NFL QB himself.  His only other OC job was back in 2008 at Holy Spirit High School.  He succeeded to some degree with the 49ers, but he had a lot of talent to work with there.  He doesn't have that talent, save for Watkins, in Buffalo.

His only OC job has been with the 49ers, where it could probably be argued that Jim Harbaugh had a big hand in things, being a former NFL QB himself.

Jim Harbaugh may have had his hand in things but one (like Roman)  learns through experience and from the expertise of others.  There's no doubt in my mind that Greg Roman is a great OC.  

Archived