Buffalo gets C- grade in a draft they haven't picked yet

jgb

He's not a great OC yet.  He'll have the chance to prove that in Buffalo.  If he can turn around that offense, all while having the anvil that is Rex Ryan's "philosophy" draped over his back, then I'll be the first one to call him a great OC.  But, that's going to be a major uphill battle for him.  He's got a long way before he can be considered a great OC IMO.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not a great OC yet.  He'll have the chance to prove that in Buffalo.  If he can turn around that offense, all while having the anvil that is Rex Ryan's "philosophy" draped over his back, then I'll be the first one to call him a great OC.  But, that's going to be a major uphill battle for him.  He's got a long way before he can be considered a great OC IMO.

From what I hear,  Ryan and Roman have the same O Line philosophy.   IMO,  we are at a real advantage (at least early on in the season).  Our game plan is new and our competition will have no tapes to review and plan from.  I really look forward to watching our new schemes.

From what I hear,  Ryan and Roman have the same O Line philosophy.   IMO,  we are at a real advantage (at least early on in the season).  Our game plan is new and our competition will have no tapes to review and plan from.  I really look forward to watching our new schemes.

Rex and Sparano had the same philosphy as well.  

caption this photo from the bills war room

"rex, this is an quarterback.  they throw the ball"

tempDSC_5629--nfl_mezz_1280_1024_zpsc1qt

Rex: "What's with the painted ends of the field?

Pegula: "That's called an endzone, Rex."

Rex: "What happens if the ball goes in there?"

Pegula: "Your team gets 6 points."

Rex: "Oh... Hey, Greg.  Did you know about this?"

jeanie, notice the offense binder position ?

LOL - good one.   Do you really think we have that bad of a team and littlle chance for any progress this year?  I realize that an HC has most of the say but I think we have some outstanding players.  

Rex: "What's with the painted ends of the field?

Pegula: "That's called an endzone, Rex."

Rex: "What happens if the ball goes in there?"

Pegula: "Your team gets 6 points."

Rex: "Oh... Hey, Greg.  Did you know about this?"

Vinny:  Now you are being mean   :winking0001:

LOL - good one.   Do you really think we have that bad of a team and littlle chance for any progress this year?  I realize that an HC has most of the say but I think we have some outstanding players.  

not at all !  I think you have a beastly defense and playmakers on offense.  the defense will be great against the run, and the offense will rack up the rushing yards

but (sorry, lol)

you will start to see a disturbing pattern of  the defense giving up scores at the end of the half and end of the game

there will be wasted timeouts due to substitution problems

the QB's will play not to lose

the offense will run it early and wind up having to pass late to catch up

the players will cause distractions with bulletin board quotes during the week

there will be reports of missed meetings and players late to meetings

it may not happen right away, but there will be an erosion of discipline and organization and preparedness

things that matter

not at all !  I think you have a beastly defense and playmakers on offense.  the defense will be great against the run, and the offense will rack up the rushing yards

but (sorry, lol)

you will start to see a disturbing pattern of  the defense giving up scores at the end of the half and end of the game

there will be wasted timeouts due to substitution problems

the QB's will play not to lose

the players will cause distractions with bulletin board quotes during the week

there will be reports of missed meetings and players late to meetings

it may not happen right away, but there will be an erosion of discipline and organization and preparedness

things that matter

I really respect your opinion Larz.  And,  you're not the first one to point out  these problems.   Please understand I'll be the first to give credit when credit is due and probably the last to crticize when that becomes necessary.  I will say,  I've made a mental note and will be watching.

I checked out that kid's draft profile+grade and recognized him from college...

9413996588f747e9155331a07f1f77e5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My guess is that Rex has seen Steward  play over the past couple of years (while attending his son's games) and sees something that he thinks we can develop and need.  Don't see him starting this season (building depth).

Biggest problem is Rex will force that on each series as well putting the QB consistently in third and long situations that they fail at.

Biggest problem is Rex will force that on each series as well putting the QB consistently in third and long situations that they fail at.

We supposedly have a new playbook.  I am anxious to see the plays.  However,  if we do run the ball,  we have Sammy Watkins and LeSean Mc Coy 

We supposedly have a new playbook.  I am anxious to see the plays.  However,  if we do run the ball,  we have Sammy Watkins and LeSean Mc Coy 

the best chance buffalo has to make the playoffs is if mccoy just goes off.  if you can get points out of the run game, the bills will be a tough out

the best chance buffalo has to make the playoffs is if mccoy just goes off.  if you can get points out of the run game, the bills will be a tough out

That's pretty much the only chance they have of making the playoffs.

Good luck running the ball against the Jets D-line, though.  I love that that game is later in the year.  Bowles should have the defense on its way to being one of, if not THE, most feared units in the league by the time Rex shows up at MetLife.  Hopefully we return the favor for that debacle in Detroit last year.

on the other hand, we haven't seen todd bowles as a head coach yet. outside of knowing how to call a defense he's completely unproven, just like rex when he came to the jets.

True -  I like what I've read about Todd Bowles (and Mac) so far but LOVE Rex.

That's pretty much the only chance they have of making the playoffs.

Good luck running the ball against the Jets D-line, though.  I love that that game is later in the year.  Bowles should have the defense on its way to being one of, if not THE, most feared units in the league by the time Rex shows up at MetLife.  Hopefully we return the favor for that debacle in Detroit last year

I think we'll make the playoffs this year.  I am predicting 11-5 

My guess is that Rex has seen Steward  play over the past couple of years (while attending his son's games) and sees something that he thinks we can develop and need.  Don't see him starting this season (building depth).

Don't  ever, ever, ever, ever use develop and Rex Ryan in the same sentence. Oh, and by the way, 38-3 with 2 weeks to prepare and a team that couldn't practice and played a home game 250 miles away. I give you credit for living in Buffalo for so long. I go up there for business and can't wait to leave. Toooo depressing.

Don't  ever, ever, ever, ever use develop and Rex Ryan in the same sentence. Oh, and by the way, 38-3 with 2 weeks to prepare and a team that couldn't practice and played a home game 250 miles away. I give you credit for living in Buffalo for so long. I go up there for business and can't wait to leave. Toooo depressing.

I'm not trying to make excuses but the Jets wouldn't be the first team to think the game would be a slam dunk due to the circumstances you stated.    Out of curiosity,   what do you find so depressing about Buffalo?  

Rex:  Loves Sammy and visa versa.  They bonded right away.  Sammy Watkins is not only an outstanding  athlete but a great man.  We LOVE himl  

he is a great downfield blocker !!!

seriously, say your goodbyes

on the other hand, we haven't seen todd bowles as a head coach yet. outside of knowing how to call a defense he's completely unproven, just like rex when he came to the jets.

True but we have seen Bowles super excited about selecting a QB in round 2. He will be much more balanced.

he is a great downfield blocker !!!

seriously, say your goodbyes

Larz:  I can't wait until the season starts so we can have some serious debates on what's actually happening on the field.  It's hard for me to envision Sammy Watkins going anywhere but up in his career with the Bills.  

True but we have seen Bowles super excited about selecting a QB in round 2. He will be much more balanced.

The fact that he knows where the offense practices and has already taken an interest in what they're doing over there is a pretty good sign that he'll be more balanced.  Hopefully he is able to put everything together to make himself a terrific head coach.  He seems to have all the attributes necessary, it's just a matter of putting it all together at this point.

Unfortunately from what Rex has said and having Roman as OC, I think your playbook will be 5 plays:

Run right

Run left

Dumb up the middle run for 1st and second down

Wildcat

Crap we need to throw. Tell EJ to scratch something up in the dirt.

The fact that he knows where the offense practices and has already taken an interest in what they're doing over there is a pretty good sign that he'll be more balanced.  Hopefully he is able to put everything together to make himself a terrific head coach.  He seems to have all the attributes necessary, it's just a matter of putting it all together at this point.

I will say he is not the most scintillating interview though. He does come off as smart and engaged

I will say he is not the most scintillating interview though. He does come off as smart and engaged

You're right, he's definitely not that, but he has shown some humor and personality at times.  He seems to be focused on coaching the team and doing the other things that a HC needs to be doing, rather than thinking up what props he needs to bring to the next press conference and stuff like that.  

I particularly like the very detached way he looks during the interviews for the Jets website.  The ones I've seen, it's very clear he thinks he has better, more productive, things he could be doing with that time.  And he almost certainly does, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with football or the Jets.

Unfortunately from what Rex has said and having Roman as OC, I think your playbook will be 5 plays:

Run right

Run left

Dumb up the middle run for 1st and second down

Wildcat

Crap we need to throw. Tell EJ to scratch something up in the dirt.

Look for Cassel or Taylor.  I would love to see EJ start but don't think it's going to happen.    Based upon what I have read about the playbook,  I think you'll see ALOT more than 5 plays.  As Roman puts it,  we're going to be a nightmare to play against.   

Archived