Is Matt Simms Gone? Or can Petty go to the developmental squad?

TuscanyTile2

Yes, it does.  Because Geno hasn't won anything either AND is the worst starting QB in the NFL over the past 2 seasons.  I'm sorry we couldn't acquire Brees or Rivers either.  But unless by some miracle Bryce Petty defies all odds and becomes an amazing rookie QB overnight, Fitz will be the starter.  Find some way to reconcile that in your brain.

There is almost no chance of Fitz being the starter. Bowles, the coach has said a couple times Geno is #1, and unless he is truly horrific in TC he will be the Day 1 starter. He may have a pretty short leash, but off of his last 4 games he will get the shot. Plus it cannot be said enough that Geno will be completely different under Gailey, a real  QB coach, and an offense designed to fit his strengths. Some of the players like Colon have already stated Geno is the guy as well. As a Jes fan, WANTING a truly mediocre journeyman to start is just really dumb.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is almost no chance of Fitz being the starter. Bowles, the coach has said a couple times Geno is #1, and unless he is truly horrific in TC he will be the Day 1 starter. He may have a pretty short leash, but off of his last 4 games he will get the shot. Plus it cannot be said enough that Geno will be completely different under Gailey, a real  QB coach, and an offense designed to fit his strengths. Some of the players like Colon have already stated Geno is the guy as well. As a Jes fan, WANTING a truly mediocre journeyman to start is just really dumb.

Are you kidding me?  He's the # 1 BECAUSE FITZ IS HURT.  Nothing the coaches say in April have anything to do with how it will actually play out. 

How it will actually play out is Fitz, the guy who the OC coached for 3 years and the GM had on his roster in Houston, will be the starter in practice once he's fully healed and will end up the starting QB Week 1.  You couldn't be more wrong on this one.  In no universe is Geno the favorite.

Are you kidding me?  He's the # 1 BECAUSE FITZ IS HURT.  Nothing the coaches say in April have anything to do with how it will actually play out. 

How it will actually play out is Fitz, the guy who the OC coached for 3 years and the GM had on his roster in Houston, will be the starter in practice once he's fully healed and will end up the starting QB Week 1.  You couldn't be more wrong on this one.

Whatever dude. People made the same arguments last year with Vick. Marshall, Decker Colon and others have already stated Geno is the guy. That is likely reflective of the fact that he is. Bowles is not going to come out and crown him they want him to compete, but Geno barring a horrible preseason which is unlikely is our starter for the year. I would actually say there is more chance that Petty starts than Fitz. They want to sit him for a year, but if he comes in and does a Russell Wilson, grasps the offense and really flashes in games it is possible. 

Are you kidding me? He's the # 1 BECAUSE FITZ IS HURT. Nothing the coaches say in April have anything to do with how it will actually play out.

How it will actually play out is Fitz, the guy who the OC coached for 3 years and the GM had on his roster in Houston, will be the starter in practice once he's fully healed and will end up the starting QB Week 1. You couldn't be more wrong on this one. In no universe is Geno the favorite.

Do you honestly believe this stuff or are you just trolling ?

I'm basing this on what has historically happened for NFL teams and the fact that Geno is f*cking terrible.  The incumbent only has the edge when new regimes come in if the QB is worth his salt.  Geno is not.  Time for a change.  We've seen this story many times where we hope the young, terrible QB has the lightbulb go on.  We haven't gone with a veteran since 2008, and that was the best QB play we've had since 1998.

Not to mention I'd prefer not to see him mess up a good thing considering how many strides this roster has made in shaping up for a playoff run.

I'm basing this on what has historically happened for NFL teams and the fact that Geno is f*cking terrible. The incumbent only has the edge when new regimes come in if the QB is worth his salt. Geno is not. Time for a change. We've seen this story many times where we hope the young, terrible QB has the lightbulb go on. We haven't gone with a veteran since 2008, and that was the best QB play we've had since 1998.

Not to mention I'd prefer not to see him mess up a good thing considering how many strides this roster has made in shaping up for a playoff run.

1998 huh ? Cause Chad didn't have some good years.

One could ask the Geno obsessives the same question, tbqh.

The guy has been amongst the worst QB's in the NFL in his tenure.  

You'd think the folks sperging about Geno needing "just one more chance" would have learned from Sanchez and a few dozen bad QB's before him, but it seems not.

80 is exactly right, Geno is the April #1 because Fitz is recovering from a broken leg.  Come camp, if Fitz is healthy, they wil compete as equals, and the winner will start.

1998 huh ? Cause Chad didn't have some good years.

Not as good as Favre's first 11 games of the 2008 season.  Even his 2002 season was a bit of smoke and mirrors, and he wasn't the same player after that campaign.  He took the league by storm with the dink and dunk, the Raiders exposed him in the playoffs, and he spent the rest of his career dealing badly with quality defenses who didn't respect his arm, and rightfully so.

You'd think the folks sperging about Geno needing "just one more chance" would have learned from Sanchez and a few dozen bad QB's before him, but it seems not.

80 is exactly right, Geno is the April #1 because Fitz is recovering from a broken leg. Come camp, if Fitz is healthy, they wil compete as equals, and the winner will start.

We will see.. Just don't disappear when Fitz doesn't win that job week 1.

80 is exactly right, Geno is the April #1 because Fitz is recovering from a broken leg.  Come camp, if Fitz is healthy, they wil compete as equals, and the winner will start.

I think they are all saying that too. They just think Geno will win the job; time will tell who is right; also even if he doesn't he will still be on the team.  Some folks think he will be cut outright and that ain't happening. 

I think they are all saying that too. They just think Geno will win the job; time will tell who is right; also even if he doesn't he will still be on the team.  Some folks think he will be cut outright and that ain't happening. 

Nope he's definitely not getting cut......this year.  :)

I think people have to be prepared for the possibility that Fitz may not be 100% by the beginning of camp. I hope that is not the case but it is a possibility.  He even said as much himself. 

I think people have to be prepared for the possibility that Fiz may not be 100% by the beginning of camp. I hope that is not the case but it is a possibility. He even said as much himself.

Chill just let them spew crap .. Fitz for president!!! Best QB since we had 60 yr old Brett Farve

Chill just let them spew crap .. Fitz for president!!! Best QB since we had 60 yr old Brett Farve

lol, I am all for the best man winning the job and I think Geno will take a big leap forward this year.  He has to know this his last, best chance to be starting qb in this league and if that is not motivation, I don't know what is.  That and shutting up all the critics, lol. 

Speaks more to the sad state of affairs of Jet QB's over our franchise's history rather than something negative about Fitzpatrick or Favre.

Before his injury, Favre had 20 TD's/13 INT's and 3 straight games with a 100+ QB rating, leading us to an 8-3 record as a result, tops in the AFC.  If Fitzpatrick or any Jet QB were to pull that off for us this year, we'd sh*t our collective pants.

We will see.. Just don't disappear when Fitz doesn't win that job week 1.

Because I, the Infamous Fan of Patrick Ramsey, am well known for "disappearing" when I'm wrong, amrite?

If he doesn't win the job, it means one of two things:

1. He was beaten out on the field by Geno Smith.  No complaints here, best player should play.

2. Fitz was still hurt.  Bad news all around IMO, means Geno didn;t have to compete, and we're weaker as a team with Fitz still hurt than Fitz healthy as #1 or as #2.

lol, I am all for the best man winning the job and I think Geno will take a big leap forward this year. He has to know this his last, best chance to be starting qb in this league and if that is not motivation, I don't know what is. That and shutting up all the critics, lol.

It's definetly make or break year for Geno .. I agree with that but the break won't come before Week 1 as some seem to think .

Because I, the Infamous Fan of Patrick Ramsey, am well known for "disappearing" when I'm wrong, amrite?

If he doesn't win the job, it means one of two things:

1. He was beaten out on the field by Geno Smith.  No complaints here, best player should play.

2. Fitz was still hurt.  Bad news all around IMO, means Geno didn;t have to compete, and we're weaker as a team with Fitz still hurt than Fitz healthy as #1 or as #2.

Geno still has a much higher ceiling than Fitzpatrick. He also, obviously, has a lower floor. I'll be disappointed if the new regime doesn't thoroughly explore that ceiling potential before pulling the plug on Geno. I don't think they will. As long as Geno is grasping an offense that I think will be somewhat tailored to his strengths, and demonstrating a better ability to protect the football, I think he's the opening day starter.

I also think the leash will be short.

Are we really on page 8 of a Matt Simms thread?

:face:

If there is anything the new Leadership has said/shown, it's that there will be competition at every position.  For once, that's believable.

Since Fitz is coming off injury, none of the QB's on the roster are likely to be cut till mid-training camp.  

So, with A. Competition and B. No Cuts Till Camp, Simms, Geno and everyone else will get their chance to prove they deserve a roster spot, and which roster spot.

Simms almost assuredly will be cut, make no mistake, the moves to-date are quite clear on that.  If Simms was viewed as a starter/#2, the team does not sign Fitz or draft Petty.

With that said, Simms future will be in Simms hands, and if he is cut, it'll be because he did not show the Leadership he deserved to be retained.

Isn't this what we always wanted?  Competition, best guys stay, best guy starts?

I would be thrilled with this approach.  I would love for Simms to get a fair shake in camp.  I think he can outperform any of the other 3.  Obviously Petty isn't getting cut (and I'm fine w/ that too btw) but I I would love to see Fitz and Geno legitimately have to fight off Simms for a roster spot.  I'm not optimistic about this happening btw.  Just saying I would love for it to be the case.

Archived