Todd Bowles gives commencement address at alma mator

Patriot Killa

ELIZABETH, N.J. -- Just as the Tom Brady appeal hearing was wrapping in midtown Manhattan, Todd Bowles took the podium Tuesday night at a raucous gymnasium in his hometown -- only 19 miles from the Brady drama at the league office -- and delivered a different kind of NFL story.

Local boy makes good and returns home to inspire others.

Remember those stories?

The New York Jets' coach (Elizabeth Public Schools, Class of '81) gave the commencement address at the district's graduation ceremony, which was moved indoors to the Dunn Sports Center after a late-afternoon thunderstorm ruined the plans to hold it on the football field. An estimated crowd of 4,500, including a graduating class of 1,151, gave Bowles a standing ovation before and after his 11-minute speech.

Bowles, dressed in a black suit with a burgundy tie, spoke without the benefit of notes. He told the graduates he trashed his original speech because he wanted to "speak to you from the heart, which is the only way I know how." The buttoned-down coach didn't make any headlines; he didn't offer any predictions about the upcoming season. He simply offered wholesome advice:

Listen to your parents and loved ones. Don't be deterred by failure. Appreciate your hometown.

Elizabeth is a working-class city of 125,000, not far from Newark's Liberty Airport. Bowles embodies Elizabeth with his humble, blue-collar demeanor. He wasn't Todd Bowles, big-time coach. He was just Todd from the neighborhood.

"I've been to almost every state and there's no place that taught me survival skills, whether on the street or in the classroom, better than Elizabeth High School," he told the crowd. "I wasn't the best athlete when I was here. I wasn't the smartest person when I was here. I wasn't valedictorian, but I always tried to do the right thing all the time."

Bowles is a success story, going from an undrafted free agent with theWashington Redskins to a starter on their Super Bowl championship team in 1987. After bouncing around the college and pro coaching ranks for nearly 20 years, he returned to his New Jersey roots when he was hired by the Jets in January.

"Most people think I've made it, but I really haven't," he said. "I never strived to be a head coach. I strived to be a good coach."

Bowles stressed the importance of overcoming adversity.

"A lot of people told me I wouldn't make it (in the NFL), " he said. "My senior year, I dislocated six out of seven bones in my wrist and I was never supposed to play football again. I was hard-headed. I didn't listen. I played eight years, which led me to this stage."

An hour into the ceremony, a big screen hanging over the stage showed black-and-white game footage of Bowles' high-school days. They take football seriously in Elizabeth, which captured a state championship in 2012. It has a rich tradition, and Bowles will forever be part of it.

The administrations surprised Bowles by retiring his number, 83, presenting him with a framed jersey at the conclusion of his speech.

"He's a person our kids can point to," said John Quinn, the current varsity coach. "He came from a tough environment, got his college degree and worked his way through the NFL. He's living the dream, as they say. Kids can say, 'If Todd Bowles, who lived in downtown Elizabeth, can make it, I can, too.' He's truly an American success story."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52174/todd-bowles-gives-commencement-address-at-alma-mater-receives-standing-o

ELIZABETH, N.J. -- Just as the Tom Brady appeal hearing was wrapping in midtown Manhattan, Todd Bowles took the podium Tuesday night at a raucous gymnasium in his hometown -- only 19 miles from the Brady drama at the league office -- and delivered a different kind of NFL story.

Local boy makes good and returns home to inspire others.

Remember those stories?

The New York Jets' coach (Elizabeth Public Schools, Class of '81) gave the commencement address at the district's graduation ceremony, which was moved indoors to the Dunn Sports Center after a late-afternoon thunderstorm ruined the plans to hold it on the football field. An estimated crowd of 4,500, including a graduating class of 1,151, gave Bowles a standing ovation before and after his 11-minute speech.

Bowles, dressed in a black suit with a burgundy tie, spoke without the benefit of notes. He told the graduates he trashed his original speech because he wanted to "speak to you from the heart, which is the only way I know how." The buttoned-down coach didn't make any headlines; he didn't offer any predictions about the upcoming season. He simply offered wholesome advice:

Listen to your parents and loved ones. Don't be deterred by failure. Appreciate your hometown.

Elizabeth is a working-class city of 125,000, not far from Newark's Liberty Airport. Bowles embodies Elizabeth with his humble, blue-collar demeanor. He wasn't Todd Bowles, big-time coach. He was just Todd from the neighborhood.

"I've been to almost every state and there's no place that taught me survival skills, whether on the street or in the classroom, better than Elizabeth High School," he told the crowd. "I wasn't the best athlete when I was here. I wasn't the smartest person when I was here. I wasn't valedictorian, but I always tried to do the right thing all the time."

Bowles is a success story, going from an undrafted free agent with theWashington Redskins to a starter on their Super Bowl championship team in 1987. After bouncing around the college and pro coaching ranks for nearly 20 years, he returned to his New Jersey roots when he was hired by the Jets in January.

"Most people think I've made it, but I really haven't," he said. "I never strived to be a head coach. I strived to be a good coach."

Bowles stressed the importance of overcoming adversity.

"A lot of people told me I wouldn't make it (in the NFL), " he said. "My senior year, I dislocated six out of seven bones in my wrist and I was never supposed to play football again. I was hard-headed. I didn't listen. I played eight years, which led me to this stage."

An hour into the ceremony, a big screen hanging over the stage showed black-and-white game footage of Bowles' high-school days. They take football seriously in Elizabeth, which captured a state championship in 2012. It has a rich tradition, and Bowles will forever be part of it.

The administrations surprised Bowles by retiring his number, 83, presenting him with a framed jersey at the conclusion of his speech.

"He's a person our kids can point to," said John Quinn, the current varsity coach. "He came from a tough environment, got his college degree and worked his way through the NFL. He's living the dream, as they say. Kids can say, 'If Todd Bowles, who lived in downtown Elizabeth, can make it, I can, too.' He's truly an American success story."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52174/todd-bowles-gives-commencement-address-at-alma-mater-receives-standing-o

Very Nice Story.... Thank you!!

Archived