James Carpenter says ...

LIJetsFan

Jets' blocking scheme is 'a dream come true'

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52893/james-carpenter-says-jets-blocking-scheme-is-a-dream-come-true

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Nick Mangold has played with only two right guards in his nine-year career with the New York Jets -- Brandon Moore and Willie Colon. Left guard, different story.

On Monday, Mangold was asked to name his left guards, and he rattled off his list: Pete Kendall, Adrien Clarke, Alan Faneca, Matt SlausonVladimir Ducasse,Brian Winters and Oday Aboushi.

Mangold's recall is impressive. He missed Will Montgomery, who started two games in 2007, but we'll cut him some slack. The point is, Mangold and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- both offensive-line mainstays since 2006 -- have been dealing with a parade of left guards. Only two of them, Kendall and Faneca, were accomplished players in the league.

Maybe now they can find stability with James Carpenter, who started on two consecutive NFC championship teams with the Seattle Seahawks.

Carpenter, who signed a four-year, $19 million contract in free agency, has taken virtually every first-team rep at left guard in training camp. There's no competition, no guessing the opening-day starter. He's the guy, and he's excited about the Jets' blocking scheme.

"This offense is like a dream to me -- man and power blocking," said Carpenter, who played in a zone-blocking scheme in Seattle. "It's a dream come true for me. That's the type of lineman I am."

At 6-foot-5, 321 pounds, Carpenter is built for a power, road-grading scheme. In a zone system, the linemen blocks areas, not defenders. It's a finesse scheme.

The Jets could use some consistency at the position. That would make life easier for Mangold and Ferguson; they won't have to worry about hand-holding an inexperienced player at guard. They've been dealing with upheaval for most of their careers.

"I don't have anything else to compare it to, so it's what you have to deal with," Mangold said. "But it does take work to make sure you're on the same page, trying to get the (new) guy going -- or, in the case when Faneca came in, trying to learn from him."

Mangold said Carpenter is a man of few words, but he likes his mentality. In the spring, he asked Mangold about a particular pass-protection scheme. Mangold said not to sweat it, they'd work it out when they got in pads.

"Yeah, I just want to hit somebody," Carpenter told him.

Mangold liked that response.

Carpenter is the strong, silent type, all right. Maybe he can be strong enough to stop the revolving door.

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I have been reading all spring and summer how Gailey was bringing in a zone blocking scheme that was going to take us to the next level.  Guess not.  Plenty of people were pointing to the work of Carpenter and Breno in the zone system in Seattle as being a plus.  This seems to throw that sh*t out the window.  Of course I read that Callahan's success here was based on zone blocking, but I know Callahan mixed it up. If anything, I think Deguglielmo brought in more zone concepts. Devlin also used a big mishmash.  FWIW, I think Seattle used all zone all the time which may be what Carpenter was tired of

Well according to the article he seems to he happy going from a zone blocking system there to a man power blocking system here.

Which is a very interesting statement because the Buffalo version of the Gailey offense was zone blocking, so we are running something different than that.

Archived