2016 NFL Draft ~ ~ ~

kelly

This is the first-round order for the 2016 NFL Draft, with the top positional needs for every team. The draft order is determined by record, using strength of schedule, and then conference and division records as tiebreakers (record and strength of schedule are official tiebreakers to determine draft order). The final 12 first-round spots (or, 11, if the New England Patriots make the postseason) will be determined by playoff results. For now, those teams will be ordered based on playoff seed if the season ended today.

~ ~  23.  New York Jets
2015 record: 4-2 (.500)
Top need: Outside linebacker
Other needs: Right tackle, tight end, inside linebacker

Senior prospects at positional needs: OLB: Jordan Jenkins (Georgia), Dadi Nicolas (Virginia Tech), Terrance Smith (Florida State), Ryan Brown (Mississippi State); OT: Vadal Alexander (LSU), Taylor Decker (Ohio State), Spencer Drango (Baylor); TE: Pharaoh Brown (Oregon), Nick Vannett (Ohio State), Darion Griswold (Arkansas State); ILB: Reggie Ragland (Alabama), Cassanova McKinzy (Auburn), Kentrell Brothers (Missouri), James Burgess (Louisville).

Analysis: The Jets' defensive line is full of dominant performers, but the missing ingredient has been a true edge bender at the outside linebacker spot. Finding an edge rusher should be an early round draft priority. The Jets need to upgrade the right tackle spot, and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson's massive cap hit makes him a potential cap cut. This Jets' regime might want to go in a different direction at tight end while inside linebacker depth needs to be addressed.

rest of above article :

>   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000551301/article/2016-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

They will chose the best player like they did with Williams.  It would not surprise me at all to see the Jets take a QB in the 1st round.  I sure as heck hope they are not pining all their hopes on a 4th rounder in Petty. 

I do agree about the need and missing piece in true edge rusher.  We do need some youth at ILB.  TE, mid or later round picks.  I expect Amaro to comeback strong.  Cutting DBrick would be monumentally stupid.

They will chose the best player like they did with Williams.  It would not surprise me at all to see the Jets take a QB in the 1st round.  I sure as heck hope they are not pining all their hopes on a 4th rounder in Petty. 

I do agree about the need and missing piece in true edge rusher.  We do need some youth at ILB.  TE, mid or later round picks.  I expect Amaro to comeback strong.  Cutting DBrick would be monumentally stupid.

we will get Brees in free agency, Saints aren't going to pay him 30m.

we will get Brees in free agency, Saints aren't going to pay him 30m.

plus we have the second worst cap situation in the NFL going into next year...and tough decisions to make on Wilkerson and Ivory, both free agents...Cromartie also likely gets cut...doubt we will be players at all in free agency other than losing players and cutting players to keep our own.

plus we have the second worst cap situation in the NFL going into next year...and tough decisions to make on Wilkerson and Ivory, both free agents...Cromartie also likely gets cut...doubt we will be players at all in free agency other than losing players and cutting players to keep our own.

Im not worried I really feel like Mac knows what he is doing we have a lot of talented young players and some guys who may become expendable going into the next season.

If we cut Cromartie and Coples, we'll have over $24M in cap space and no dead money involved.  I also imagine we'd restructure Ferguson's deal, as he's due to count $17M against the cap next season.  It won't be easy paying Wilkerson AND Brees, but we could make it work.  Beyond 2016 our cap situation is looking very healthy.

Ivory would be the tough call.  I can't imagine we re-sign him if he wants true RB1 money.  He's far too injury prone, it's rarely a good idea to sign a RB to a long-term extension after his rookie deal expires, and it's a position we can address in the draft.  Yes, Ivory is special, and brings something to the table few RB's can offer.  But if there's going to be a significant cap casualty this offseason, it's him.

If we cut Cromartie and Coples, we'll have over $24M in cap space and no dead money involved.  I also imagine we'd restructure Ferguson's deal, as he's due to count $17M against the cap next season.  It won't be easy paying Wilkerson AND Brees, but we could make it work.  Beyond 2016 our cap situation is looking very healthy.

Ivory would be the tough call.  I can't imagine we re-sign him if he wants true RB1 money.  He's far too injury prone, it's rarely a good idea to sign a RB to a long-term extension after his rookie deal expires, and it's a position we can address in the draft.  Yes, Ivory is special, and brings something to the table few RB's can offer.  But if there's going to be a significant cap casualty this offseason, it's him.

that's true on cutting Coples and Cro, but I bet Cro renegotiate.

do you think Brees skill set and arm fits stepping out of the New Orleans dome, and out of a division with Carolina, ATL, and Tampa and into the AFC East?  Not sure that's a sexy proposition for him...now the Texans with Colts, jags, and Titans...more nice weapons to throw to and weather to grow in....and Bill Obriens New Engaland patriots 10 yard pass offense....sounds like a match to me...if he leaves, which I'm not sure is so likely...

that's true on cutting Coples and Cro, but I bet Cro renegotiate.

do you think Brees skill set and arm fits stepping out of the New Orleans dome, and out of a division with Carolina, ATL, and Tampa and into the AFC East?  Not sure that's a sexy proposition for him...now the Texans with Colts, jags, and Titans...more nice weapons to throw to and weather to grow in....and Bill Obriens New Engaland patriots 10 yard pass offense....sounds like a match to me...if he leaves, which I'm not sure is so likely...

I agree that we're not the ideal spot for Brees.  But he may not have a ton of choices.  The Texans appear destined for an early draft pick and could very easily opt to draft their future franchise passer.  We're headed for the back end of the draft and will need to trade up to take a QB early.  Brees will have to play somewhere, and while a cold weather outdoor team is not ideal, we have pieces in place to make a run.  There are a lot of positives about the situation he'd be entering here. 

Not saying Brees is the top option for US either if the pricetag to trade for him is too high, but if he's available and willing to come here, we have to entertain it.  It doesn't matter how old he is or how much his performance has dropped off lately.  He's still Drew Brees, a guy capable of consistently putting up 300+ yard days and throwing it downfield.  He'd change the dynamics of our franchise overnight.

While this is true on paper, we can EASILY shed $50 million for next year.  

While this is true on paper, we can EASILY shed $50 million for next year.  

I haven't really looked to much at the over the cap for next year to see where we could free up space but if that is the case another option could be a Flacco trade. If the Ravens end up bombing this year they might want to try to rebuild and be willing to let Flacco go cheap to free up cap space. He would probably be the ideal QB for our offensive weapons.

I agree that we're not the ideal spot for Brees.  But he may not have a ton of choices.  The Texans appear destined for an early draft pick and could very easily opt to draft their future franchise passer.  We're headed for the back end of the draft and will need to trade up to take a QB early.  Brees will have to play somewhere, and while a cold weather outdoor team is not ideal, we have pieces in place to make a run.  There are a lot of positives about the situation he'd be entering here. 

Not saying Brees is the top option for US either if the pricetag to trade for him is too high, but if he's available and willing to come here, we have to entertain it.  It doesn't matter how old he is or how much his performance has dropped off lately.  He's still Drew Brees, a guy capable of consistently putting up 300+ yard days and throwing it downfield.  He'd change the dynamics of our franchise overnight.

He'd be a huge upgrade to Fitz, no doubt, but I do have doubts he'd leave and wouldn't rework his deal to stay.  Look at the sweet playing conditions he faces in New Orleans...2015 schedule to date:

at Arizona

vs Tampa

vs Dallas

at Eagles (his worst comp % of the season ironic enough)

vs Atl

at Colts (dome)

Remaining schedule:

vs Giants

vs Titans

at Redskins

at Texans

vs Carolina

at Tampa

vs Lions

vs Jags

at Atlanta

Next Year: they play the AFC West: Oakland, KC, Denver, and San Diego...

If Im Brees building an all time legacy, I wouldn't be running away from the Saints schedule anytime soon...only if Payton is let go do I think there's a chance, and I still wouldn't if I was him...

My God its October we are 4-2 and we are already discussing the draft?  

I can talk draft year round.  I enjoy talking draft, but it is light years too early to feel like we know which position, direction, or even where players will be slotted.  But it is fun to look at the positions on Saturdays and start identifying players we could see in green and white next year.  

I also think it will be interesting to see if the Jets grab one of these QBs in the draft, maybe not rd 1 but someone to compete with Petty for the franchise QB....and if we don't go QB rd 1, will the Jets grab LT, what if Ezekiel Elliot is there to be the combo back with Ivory, what if BPA is pass rusher...couple that with possibly releasing Coples and Cro to free up $15 mill cap...and what we do with Ivory and Wilkerson will  be fascinating and could drive the direction...another interesting off season.

In conclusion though, this season is so exciting its not worth time compared to what we're currently watching Sundays.

This win over Oakland is so critical.  It will put us 5-2 with a nice tie breaker and likely only needing 4 maybe 5 wins in the final 9.  Miami and the Steelers could both be surging teams to keep an eye on.  Steelers getting Big Ben will lead to a run, and Miami with have HUGE momentum if they pull out this win over Pats.

Jets have a lot going on right now as an organization.  We're still a transitioning franchise with a lot of moving parts with a new regime and new direction.

Archived