The Special Teams Coordinator that Bowles wanted from the beginning

JetsFanatic

Whats going on today? lol

I'm saying Armstrongs unit was effected by the loss of Hester.  So its hard to say he coached up or down this year. Making straight numbers meaningless.

My point, you cant look at numbers and get a complete picture of what the coach did.  I think April sucked, outlined why above.  Armstrong is highly thought of apparently and Bowles is comfortable with him.  Seems like he did a good job, so thats the only way I get to evaluate them

But the numbers I posted aren't simple "straight numbers" like average punt return/kick return, etc.  They're advanced metrics.  Meaning they're an attempt to account for all of those variables you're talking about.  Not to mention, I looked at their numbers since 2008, when Armstrong was hired.  Their ST's have been very good overall for the last 8 years under his leadership.

It's not a "clear" picture, but its basically the best you can get when looking at a special teams unit.  It helps confirm that Bowles isn't just choosing him because he's a buddy that he's comfortable with.  He seems to be good at his job too. 

But the numbers I posted aren't simple "straight numbers" like average punt return/kick return, etc.  They're advanced metrics.  Meaning they're an attempt to account for all of those variables you're talking about.  Not to mention, I looked at their numbers since 2008, when Armstrong was hired.  Their ST's have been very good overall for the last 8 years under his leadership.

It's not a "clear" picture, but its basically the best you can get when looking at a special teams unit.  It helps confirm that Bowles isn't just choosing him because he's a buddy that he's comfortable with.  He seems to be good at his job too. 

Hard to get a handle on weighted numbers.  Again, the rosters are different, the opposition is different the stadium is indoors.  They are what you say, an attempt.

I'm agreeing with you.  You have to look at the numbers and try and draw something from them. But given all the variables you cant say they averaged X per return, we averaged Y and therefore whoever is better.  Theres absolutely no need to weigh anything if you go by Westys thought process.  

If we get Armstrong I'm happy.  I dont get the impression in any way that Bowles will just hire his buddies and not care about the team.  

Any other sources confirm Armstrong yet?

Was he let out of his contract or did he quit the ATL job?

Westy has said "No."

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

In case anyone is wondering (and I know some of you are), former longtime Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff isn't interested in coming out of retirement to replace Bobby April, who was fired yesterday. "Forget it, thanks for asking, but I'm not coming back," Westhoff said today on ESPN New York 98.7. No one said Todd Bowles was interested in hiring Westhoff, but his name came up in speculation because he was a popular coach and has remained visible. Westhoff works locally as an analyst for ESPN radio and SNY TV.

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
4h

Thank god for that. Westhoff wasn't that good his last few years anyways.

Archived