Back from the combine

AFJF

Great experience...got to speak to several players, some analysts and beat writers for other teams just talking shop.  Players seem to come out in droves.  Six interview tables set up and three podiums.  Can have six or seven guys being interviewed at once so you can only cover so much ground.  Nearly bumped in to Urban Meyer w/o even realizing he was there.  Saw Sal Pal, Pat Kirwin, Albert Breer, Pete Prisco, Mike Mayock and Bill Polian.

Sadly, nothing open to the press tomorrow which I didn't realize until they announced Mayock would be coming out to "wrap up the combine".  

Looks like I have a free day in Indy tomorrow.

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Great experience...got to speak to several players, some analysts and beat writers for other teams just talking shop.  Players seem to come out in droves.  Six interview tables set up and three podiums.  Can have six or seven guys being interviewed at once so you can only cover so much ground.  Nearly bumped in to Urban Meyer w/o even realizing he was there.  Saw Sal Pal, Pat Kirwin, Albert Breer, Pete Prisco, Mike Mayock and Bill Polian.

Sadly, nothing open to the press tomorrow which I didn't realize until they announced Mayock would be coming out to "wrap up the combine".  

Looks like I have a free day in Indy tomorrow.

How does Conklin look?

34 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

How does Conklin look?

Didn't get to see any of the O-lineman up close and personal.  It was just DB's and an occasional LB/DL who hadn't met with the media yet.  

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Which of the reporters are jerkoffs?

All the folks I dealt with were really cool.  I even ran in to Charean Williams who has been covering the Cowboys for a million years and was nice enough to do an interview with JN before the Jets/Cowboys game this year and she was great.  

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Didn't get to see any of the O-lineman up close and personal.  It was just DB's and an occasional LB/DL who hadn't met with the media yet.  

So, you just sat in with the media?

Were you actually out on the field or in the stands to watch the workouts?

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, you just sat in with the media?

Were you actually out on the field or in the stands to watch the workouts?

I was in the media room.  The only portion of the combine that's open to the media to actually watch it was the QB's and that's limited to pre-selected Pro Football Writers of America members who are paged overhead when they're allowed to come out and they are only allowed to take notes.  No recording of any kind (unless you cover the Patriots), no social media posts at all.  Of course the reporters covering it for NFLN were on the field but that's to be expected.

We didn't find this out until the day before I flew out because the media schedule they sent me listed the on-field workouts so it read as if that's what we would have access to but it was basically a schedule of what would be happening while we were there.  

I wasn't thrilled at first, but then I realized the best thing for the site is to get to interview players and throw in a few questions directly related to the Jets since all the workouts are televised live with breakdowns from Mike Mayock.  No chance of me offering anything close to what he can.

17 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I thought they said on MFLN that they let 3,000 fans in to watch, was that only for QB's as well?

That's something the NFL is toying with....letting fans in and then following up to ask them if they'd be willing to pay to come again in the future.

I actually Heard a couple of reporters talking about it and saying it was odd because a fan can tweet something out but a media member can't? Strange.

Basically the league looking at another way to generate revenue.

Any idea where they had them seated?  

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Not sure, looks like you had to sign up and get "drafted" to be one of the "special" fans, I think they could sell tickets, guess they could put fans int the 200 sections to keep front rows open for teams... 

I saw that they did it a couple years ago and it looked like the fans didn't have great seats.

Id definitely prefer face to face interviews and a chance to speak with NFL network analysts about specific players I like.

Sorry that it wasn't all you, or we, expected.  Thanks for taking the time to go and trying to get some nuggets for us.

Hopefully Mac and Bowles saw whast they needed to see and in the interviews heard what they needed to hear.

So glad Bradway is gone.... watching the frickin' combine on his TV.

Can't wait for the draft... wish it was early April like it used to be.

Curious to see who the Jets bring in for interviews... a lot of "slight-of-hand" going on these next few weeks.

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sorry that it wasn't all you, or we, expected.  Thanks for taking the time to go and trying to get some nuggets for us.

Hopefully Mac and Bowles saw whast they needed to see and in the interviews heard what they needed to hear.

So glad Bradway is gone.... watching the frickin' combine on his TV.

Can't wait for the draft... wish it was early April like it used to be.

Curious to see who the Jets bring in for interviews... a lot of "slight-of-hand" going on these next few weeks.

I still loved every bit of it.  Hoping to go again next year but making the trek from England will be a bit different than making the trek from PA.  I'll just be better prepared now that I've seen it up close and know exactly what to expect.

I was encouraged when Killebrew said he thinks every player there had been interviewed by the Jets.  

It bothers me more that the draft is Thurs/Fri/Sat more than anything.  I used to love draft weekend.

As far as the interview process goes, it's funny to see how it can be a total smoke screen at times.  Laughed earlier when Willie McGinist commented on his time at the combine and said he never got a sniff from Parcells and the Pats.  No interviews, no phone calls, nothing...then they take him in the first round.

59 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I still loved every bit of it.  Hoping to go again next year but making the trek from England will be a bit different than making the trek from PA.  I'll just be better prepared now that I've seen it up close and know exactly what to expect.

I was encouraged when Killebrew said he thinks every player there had been interviewed by the Jets.  

It bothers me more that the draft is Thurs/Fri/Sat more than anything.  I used to love draft weekend.

As far as the interview process goes, it's funny to see how it can be a total smoke screen at times.  Laughed earlier when Willie McGinist commented on his time at the combine and said he never got a sniff from Parcells and the Pats.  No interviews, no phone calls, nothing...then they take him in the first round.

Yeah.... Parcell was the masted head game guy. Never showed his hand unlike Rex who would basically tell you the Jets entire draft board and strategy!

It is a shame about there no longer being draft weekend.

Would suck being a team picking 30th or lower.... pick doesn't get made until almost midnight then having to get up for work.

Archived