How friends turned enemies can swipe Jets in free-agent raid

Gas2No99

How friends turned enemies can swipe Jets in free-agent raid

INDIANAPOLIS — There is an X Factor … make that an “Ex Factor” for the Jets in free agency.

Multiple agents who represent Jets players scheduled to become free agents next week mentioned at the NFL Scouting Combine this week that if the Jets don’t pay their clients, they think the player would have a landing spot in Buffalo, where former Jets coach Rex Ryan is now the head coach, or Miami, where former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is the executive vice president of football operations.

This interest may be real or just perceived, but it makes sense, and it does create some leverage for the agents as they try to negotiate new deals with the Jets before free agency opens on March 9. There are strong ties between many of the players and the two former Jets leaders. There are seven Jets pending free agents who were acquired during the Ryan/Tannenbaum run of 2009-12, four of them draft picks.

Though it is unlikely defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (2011 first-round pick) will hit the market, running back Bilal Powell (2011 fourth-round) might. Linebacker Demario Davis (2012 third-round) and safety Antonio Allen (2012 seventh-round) are the other draft picks from that time scheduled to be free.

Davis and Allen probably will leave without much of a fight from the Jets, but an undrafted player could be the most interesting test of the Ex Factor. Nose Tackle Damon Harrison was signed by Tannenbaum as an undrafted free agent from tiny William Penn University in 2012. Ryan then spent time developing him into the stud defensive lineman he has become over the past three years. The Jets would like to bring Harrison back, but ultimately he may cost too much. Harrison’s agents may look to Buffalo or Miami for a landing spot. Imagine Harrison playing alongside Ndamukong Suh?

Modal Triggerdh3.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=276&stri
HarrisonPhoto: Bill Kostroun

One problem for the Jets’ AFC East rivals is salary cap space. Both the Bills and Dolphins are scrambling to create some, but they are expected to be able to make moves to clear some space before free agency opens.

The Ex Factor is not just in play for free agents, but also players the Jets may ask to take a pay cut. Usually, the team gives an ultimatum — take less money or we will cut you — believing the player won’t get more somewhere else. With Ryan and Tannenbaum out there, the agent can point to them as possible suitors if the Jets want to threaten cutting the player.

Though Tannenbaum was fired as the Jets’ general manager after the 2012 season, Ryan remained for two more years with John Idzik, and has ties to even more Jets players. Ryan loved running back Chris Ivory, whom the Jets acquired in 2013 in a trade with the Saints. The Bills have a good running back corps, so it seems unlikely Buffalo would be looking for a back.

Miami might be a player in the running back market with Lamar Miller scheduled to go to free agency. Tannenbaum was a huge advocate of Powell when he was with the team, and that could be a fit.

This is the second year the Jets have dealt with this after the two former Jets landed these jobs in 2015. Last year, linebacker David Harris was rumored to be going to both Buffalo and Miami before re-signing with the Jets for three years and $21.5 million. Powell drew interest from the Bills last season before coming back to the Jets on a one-year deal.

Ryan and Tannenbaum are long gone from the Jets, but their presence in the division means their presence still is felt inside the Jets’ offices.

I REALLY like Antonio Allen and thought he'd have MORE of an impact in Bowles' new defensive system - hybrid LBer Safety like he played in GameCock U. - if it weren't for his knee injury. sucks if we were to lost him without having seen him in this defense. 

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Wait, aren't you the one who wants to replace Fitzpatrick with Geno or Petty??? How is that NOT regressing?

Hmmmm lets see we actually don't know what Geno or Bryce can accomplish with great WRs and Chan Gailey we already saw what Fitzpatrick can do and it wasn't good enough. 

You continually troll these boards looking for altercation on this subject and you already know my answer, 

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hmmmm lets see we actually don't know what Geno or Bryce can accomplish with great WRs and Chan Gailey we already saw what Fitzpatrick can do and it wasn't good enough. 

You continually troll these boards looking for altercation on this subject and you already know my answer, 

Geno now fighting for #2 job ha ha. Amazing there are still Geno lovers here.

49 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

It's funny, you continually troll these boards saying the same thing, ovah and ovah and ovah

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

We may never get a chance to see what Geno might have been,we already know what Fitzpatrick is 10 seasons as a starter 0 playoff appearances. 

If Geno was ever going to be something, he will become something, he is very young, and will have opportunities. Just out of curiosity. What makes you think you know more than Mac and Bowles when it comes to Geno? They did EVERYTHING in their power to give him the starting job, then did EVERYTHING in their power not to play him. What do u know that they don't?

8 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

If Geno was ever going to be something, he will become something, he is very young, and will have opportunities. Just out of curiosity. What makes you think you know more than Mac and Bowles when it comes to Geno? They did EVERYTHING in their power to give him the starting job, then did EVERYTHING in their power not to play him. What do u know that they don't?

I know Geno Smith never had the calibre team Fitzpatrick had last season,remember Geno had Clyde Gates and David Nelson at WR. 

Im happy Fitzpatrick won 10 games last season great guy great team player and leader only fault cant throw the deep ball but like others i want to win a Super Bowl. 

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I know Geno Smith never had the calibre team Fitzpatrick had last season,remember Geno had Clyde Gates and David Nelson at WR. 

Everyone seemed to recognize this last year, everyone except Geno that is....

Who seemed to think stiffing a teammate was important enough to lose his chance at playing with talent....

14 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Everyone seemed to recognize this last year, everyone except Geno that is....

Who seemed to think stiffing a teammate was important enough to lose his chance at playing with talent....

Thats your argument, thats your hatred for Geno Smith because of a locker room altercation that you or me don't know the real story.

Bowles thought enough of Geno to cut IK didnt he, he also named him the starter before this happened. 

Its fine you want to close the book on Geno Smith I have no problem with it until we find a franchise QB I wont because i wanted to see him under Gailey with 2 quality WRs. 

Maybe Miami or Buffalo will pick him up if he's cut.

I really hate this.....

The Jets absolutely have to get Harrison and Powell back. There's far too much at stake with this. Fitz chemistry within the offense is a very fragile thing, one slight change could cause him to revert back to Buffalo Fitz. Powell was the weapon that started the 5 game winning streak and also his absence caused us to lose in Buffalo. Harrison plays a position where players with the size and ability just don't grow on trees. If we lose him, we open a massive hole in the center of the defense for opponents to exploit.

Not to mention that this is a pure case of signing away players from your division rival to serve a twofold purpose. You simultaneously make your team stronger and weaken your opponent.

Geno's IQ is lower than his resting heart rate. He is awful. Hell jamarcus Russel never had a good cast around him maybe we should bring him in. You either are a gamer or you are not. Geno showed zero flashes in understanding the game cast won't matter unless you give him Barry Sanders back there. he is horrific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Thats your argument, thats your hatred for Geno Smith because of a locker room altercation that you or me don't know the real story.

Bowles thought enough of Geno to cut IK didnt he, he also named him the starter before this happened. 

Its fine you want to close the book on Geno Smith I have no problem with it until we find a franchise QB I wont because i wanted to see him under Gailey with 2 quality WRs. 

Maybe Miami or Buffalo will pick him up if he's cut.

I don't hate Geno Smith, I just consider him to be a poor mans Jay Cutler, and guys like that who have physical talent, but poor attitudes, poor leadership ability, and questionable football IQ hurt franchises, because they show enough promise with nice throws, and occasionally nice games, that they fool you into thinking they are going to get it, but never do. I am able to recognize the lack of talent that Geno played with, just like Sanchez in 11 and 12, but you also need to realize that they are not good QB's, and will likely never be a good QB. And you waste a lot of time with a guy like Geno. At least with Fitzpatrick, you know exactly what you have, a guy who has a relatively high floor with good talent around him, and a relatively low ceiling. There is no fools gold there, you know damn well you still need a long term solution at the position, but he can hold the fort, and win some games with talent around him.

The Bills & Fins are in the top 10 worst cap situation like us,lol. I hope Rex does sign Cro, hopefully they lose Cordy Glenn.

Every big FA move they make cuts down their overall depth, so they better pray they have no injuries.

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

I don't hate Geno Smith, I just consider him to be a poor mans Jay Cutler, and guys like that who have physical talent, but poor attitudes, poor leadership ability, and questionable football IQ hurt franchises, because they show enough promise with nice throws, and occasionally nice games, that they fool you into thinking they are going to get it, but never do. I am able to recognize the lack of talent that Geno played with, just like Sanchez in 11 and 12, but you also need to realize that they are not good QB's, and will likely never be a good QB. And you waste a lot of time with a guy like Geno. At least with Fitzpatrick, you know exactly what you have, a guy who has a relatively high floor with good talent around him, and a relatively low ceiling. There is no fools gold there, you know damn well you still need a long term solution at the position, but he can hold the fort, and win some games with talent around him.

When Geno got his chance in Oakland & ran out of bounds losing 4 yards when he could have just tossed the ball into the bench was all I needed to see that he's just not smart enough for the job. That's like QBing 101, use the rules that you should know by heart to help yourself & your teammates.

Its like when we had Leon Washington & he made that pretty play on a kickoff that was close to going out of bounds & he just calmly kept one foot out of bounds & touched the ball inbounds. Jets get ball on the freaking 40 yard line. Know WTF the rules are already. 

Back on topic, "Friends turned enemies" will also throw a lot of our competitors' good money at bad or, even if they pick up good, way overpay for it. Let Tannenbaum offer up a 1st & a 3rd for Mo and give him another Suh contract. Yeah they'll have 2 studs on their DL but those 2 plus Tannehill alone will eat up some $50M/season and they'll only have $100M left for the other 50 players on their roster (and they'll be down a couple of good draft picks to help accomplish that goal with their low rookie contracts). 

Archived