Its Early But Jason Spriggs looks like a Perfect Fit.

Shockwave

I can't think of a better fit for this team right now. 

Spriggs has huge upside with all the traits you look for in a Top 10 LT down the road. Super Fluid and Athletic and just needs some coaching. He can start at RT from day 1 and slide over to LT next year allowing us to save an absurd amount of money on Breno and then Dbrick. 

Guys with his upside usually get taken alot higher. Lane Johnson was a top 5 pick if you can remember. This could be the perfect fit at 20. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well the further question is has he been good enough to move ahead of Conklin and Decker?

I don't think Decker was ever really that highly rated. His shortish arms don't help and it's doubtful if he could be a LT. 2nd round all the way JMO. 

Conklin should be in the same tier as Spriggs, after Tunsil and Stanley.  In that 10-25 mix. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Lane Johnson is still playing right tackle after being drafted in 2013.

Spriggs is certainly moving up the draft boards and does appear to have LT skills.  I will have to see who else is on the board at 20 before going yay or nay to an olineman at 20.

Lane Johnson stayed at RT as Jason Peters has been their LT.

lane Johnson was just there biggest priority and signed a 60m dollar deal to be there LT long term.

Hoping spriggs last till 20

5 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Lane Johnson stayed at RT as Jason Peters has been their LT.

lane Johnson was just there biggest priority and signed a 60m dollar deal to be there LT long term.

Hoping spriggs last till 20

I realize that peters was their LT and a good one as well.  My point was that the old generic adage of draft this guy to play RT one year and then become LT only pans out half the time, a good many of these guys never convert to a LT.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I realize that peters was their LT and a good one as well.  My point was that the old generic adage of draft this guy to play RT one year and then become LT only pans out half the time, a good many of these guys never convert to a LT.

Jason Spriggs is not a RT . He's a Brick Ferguson Clone who plays with more aggression even thou he doesn't yet have the functional strength .

Just now, Tinstar said:

Jason Spriggs is not a RT . He's a Brick Ferguson Clone who plays with more aggression even thou he doesn't yet have the functional strength .

You need to use this quote on the 1st post of this thread, not mine.  Shock is the one that said play him at Rt and then move him to LT next year.

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Why Can't Spriggs play RT? That old school thought that you can get away with a non athletic thumper at RT is gone - See Breno. Right Tackles still have to face Von MIller no?

I do agree he needs to be at LT sooner then later. I just can't see the Jets having the Balls to cut Brick after the draft. So the choice is put Spriggs as a backup or play him at RT. What would u do?

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You need to use this quote on the 1st post of this thread, not mine.  Shock is the one that said play him at Rt and then move him to LT next year.

Spriggs SHOULD be our future at LT if he is there at 20. However I wont be the first or last that mention him playing RT. Many columinist/football guys have mentioned it since the combine. 

2016 NFL Draft: Is Jason Spriggs the Giants' next right tackle?

usa-today-9107643.0.jpg
Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

Can Indiana's Jason Spriggs help solidify the right side of the Giants' offensive line?

Every year players who were flying under the radar make a move from the shadows to the spotlight over the course of the draft process. On the defensive side, the biggest mover so far has been lineman Jihad Ward, while Vernon Butler made waves at the Senior Bowl as well.

On the offensive side of the ball, Indiana offensive tackle Jason Spriggs surprised with his ability to stand up to the talented cast of linemen in both practice and in the game itself.

With the cutting of offensive tackle Will Beatty, the Giants seem to have committed to Ereck Flowers at left tackl and opened a hole at right tackle. Could Spriggs fill that hole?

Measurables

Height: 6 foot, 5 3/4 inches (Senior Bowl)

Weight: 301 pounds (Senior Bowl)

Arm Length: 34 1/8 inches

Hand Size: 9 1/2 inches

40 Time: 5.07 seconds (projected)

Pros

• Prototypical length for an offensive lineman. Tall with long arms
  • Good, quick feet. Quick out of his stance with good agility and balance
  • Nasty. Plays with an edge, is tenacious in pass protection and looks for pancake blocks in the run game
  • Played against a high level of competition in the Big 10.
  • Agile enough to be an effective blocker at the second level

Cons

• Played in a spread offense. Will have to adjust to NFL protections and techniques.
  • A former tight end, Spriggs will need to get stronger in the NFL. Particularly in his upper body.
  • Needs to work on hand usage. Sometimes lets his hands get wide.

Prospect Video

Big Board Rankings

Big Blue View - Not in Top 50

Mocking The Draft - 44th

CBS - 42nd

Draft Tek - 52nd

Does He Fit With the Giants?

If the Giants strike out in free agency or believe that the draft is a better place to find a long-term right tackle, then Spriggs could be a fit.

With Ben McAdoo taking over as head coach, there is a bit of a mystery regarding what kind of offensive line he wants. Flowers, John Jerry, and Bobby Hart are all around 330 pounds, and the Giants had the heaviest (projected) starting offensive line in the league last year at an average weight of 322.4 pounds.

Spriggs is a very lean lineman, who still looks more like an over-sized tight end. If McAdoo wants a beefy line, then Spriggs might not be his guy. It also comes down to the kind of blocking schemes the Giants want to run. Mike McCarthy, who McAdoo learned under prior to coming to the Giants, has transitioned the Packers from a zone blocking scheme to a blended scheme that uses both zone and man blocking concepts.

Final Thoughts

This is more of a note on how I am evaluating offensive linemen, and tackles in particular. Historically, right tackles have been the bigger, less athletic, but more powerful tackles ... Or tackles who couldn't cut it on the left side and the team is trying to get some value out of them.

Left tackle has long been considered one of the "premier" positions because of concerns regarding pressure from the quarterback's blind side -- given that most quarterbacks are right handed. However, the times they are a-changing. In recent years, NFL defense have been moving pass rushers all around the defensive front. Per Pro Football Focus, in 2012, the right tackle position gave up the most sacks, the highest sack percentage, and the most yards lost due to sacks. From 2008-2012 however, that wasn't the case. Before 2012, offenses did indeed face more pressure and surrender more sacks from the left side than the right side.

This culminated -- in the data I could find -- in 2014 when the top seven sack producers (and eight of the top 11) all faced primarily right tackles.

So in response to this new reality, I'm adjusting my thoughts on the offensive line. As far as I am now concerned, the right tackle is as important as the left, and NFL teams should be looking for the same traits in both. Ideally, you would want a tackle who is capable in both run and pass blocking, but if I have to err to one side, the importance of the quarterback means that I'm going for the superior pass protector.

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

the issue isn't should the Jets take Spriggs it's will he be there at 20. 

the old "start at RT then switch to LT" creature is very rare.  do you think this kid could do it ?

Archived