Brick Pay Cut Coming?

KRL

Seems like it's being discussed:

http://nypost.com/2016/04/06/jets-to-vet-ferguson-take-pay-cut-to-help-us-sign-fitzpatrick/

The Jets are working on clearing some salary cap space in hopes of getting a deal done with free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The team approached veteran tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson last week while he was working out at the team’s facility and told him they may need his help in order to get Fitzpatrick signed, according to a source. This move has been anticipated for months.

The Jets currently have just over $500,000 in salary cap space. They have been at an impasses with Fitzpatrick for more a month over a new contract with Fitzpatrick hoping for a payday in the neighborhood of $16 million a year and the Jets offering $7 million a year.

Ferguson’s salary cap figure for 2016 is $14.1 million. It was unclear how much of a paycut the Jets would want him to take, but they are going to need to clear significant cap space to get a deal done with Fitzpatrick. Ferguson is probably just one of several moves they would have to make to create cap space for Fitzpatrick and to sign their draft picks.

Ferguson, 32, could decline the Jets’ request to take a paycut, and the team could cut him, but sources indicated he is open to a reasonable cut in pay.

The Jets drafted Ferguson with the fourth overall pick in the 2006 draft, and he has been a core member of the team since. He has missed just one snap in his entire career and that was because the team was running a trick formation.

While Ferguson’s durability has been amazing, his play has slipped in recent years. He went to three straight Pro Bowls between 2009-11, but is no longer the same player.

“Right now, D’Brickashaw is under contract and I would say is our thought is that he would be [on the roster],” Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said last month. “But like everything else with all players, and I said this early on with free agency this year, it’s kind of a fluid free agency for us. We’re trying to make decisions that are in the best interest of the organization — both short and long term — so right now I would say he would be on our roster going forward, but we’ll see how this thing unfolds.”

You've gotta love our fans. They get their rocks off when a guy takes a salary cut. And their idea of (fun) fantasy football is cutting guys rather than paying them. I think Tannenbaum loved cutting guys. Remember on Hard Knocks, he seemed to really dig it.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You've gotta love our fans. They get their rocks off when a guy takes a salary cut. And their idea of (fun) fantasy football is cutting guys rather than paying them. I think Tannenbaum loved cutting guys. Remember on Hard Knocks, he seemed to really dig it.  :rolleyes:

Tannenbaum looked like pure evil in that bit. I badly wanted Clemens to whip out his stuff and piss all over him, right there on camera. 

That said, do you know what the salary cap is? The only GM who pays D'Brickashaw Ferguson $10.3M to be their starting LT for this year is a GM who should be out of a job. He'd be lucky to get half that as a FA right now.

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Tannenbaum looked like pure evil in that bit. I badly wanted Clemens to whip out his stuff and piss all over him, right there on camera. 

That said, do you know what the salary cap is? The only GM who pays D'Brickashaw Ferguson $10.3M to be their starting LT for this year is a GM who should be out of a job. He'd be lucky to get half that as a FA right now.

The guy's taken a lot of physical pounding and he's from Long Island. But you're right he needs to take a big cut. But you don't have to take so much enjoyment out of it.?

34 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The guy's taken a lot of physical pounding and he's from Long Island. But you're right he needs to take a big cut. But you don't have to take so much enjoyment out of it.?

It's not punitive. What do I care how much of Woody Johnson's money he takes home? 

Like everyone else who realizes he needs to take a pay cut (or get cut outright), I take enjoyment out of the team getting better because of it.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's not punitive. What do I care how much of Woody Johnson's money he takes home? 

Like everyone else who realizes he needs to take a pay cut (or get cut outright), I take enjoyment out of the team getting better because of it.

Wasn't that O'Connell he cut (with gusto) not Clemens?

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Wasn't that O'Connell he cut (with gusto) not Clemens?

No. Clemens was offered a guaranteed contract for about $750K, down from something like $500K or so more than that. He squeezed him, right before final cutdown when there was no opportunity to make anyone else's opening day roster other than the Jets. It's significant for 2 reasons. One, if you make the opening day roster, your salary for the year becomes guaranteed (if he's cut after week 1, he still gets paid through game 16). Two, he was a RFA and the Jets tagged him for the "middle" tag (the round in which the player was drafted). Well since Clemens was drafted in round 2, there was no danger of another team scooping him up if they have to cough up a 2nd rounder. So Clemens couldn't sign with anyone else and the Jets squeezed him when there was no time left if they'd cut him.

It was disgusting.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No. Clemens was offered a guaranteed contract for about $750K, down from something like $500K or so more than that. He squeezed him, right before final cutdown when there was no opportunity to make anyone else's opening day roster other than the Jets. It's significant for 2 reasons. One, if you make the opening day roster, your salary for the year becomes guaranteed (if he's cut after week 1, he still gets paid through game 16). Two, he was a RFA and the Jets tagged him for the "middle" tag (the round in which the player was drafted). Well since Clemens was drafted in round 2, there was no danger of another team scooping him up if they have to cough up a 2nd rounder. So Clemens couldn't sign with anyone else and the Jets squeezed him when there was no time left if they'd cut him.

It was disgusting.

But wasn't the player he actually cut O'Connell. And he basically was pretty crude about it. You know he basically told him he sucked. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

But wasn't the player he actually cut O'Connell. And he basically was pretty crude about it. You know he basically told him he sucked. 

I don't even remember that part. I do remember the part where he put the squeeze on Clemens.

Oh, and O'Connell did suck. 

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

LT is still a premium position in the league.  The plan going into the draft for most teams is not to have any glaring holes in which you are outright forced to make pick on.

- D'Brick is over paid.

- D'Bricks play has fallen of the last few years.

- Cutting him now creates a massive monumental hole which, unless we are really really lucky will take lots of resources to fix or we will be suffering with a team killing weakness on offense.

If people are willing to take that chance fine but don't assume we will come up with a guy as good or as durable as what we have.

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

LT is still a premium position in the league.  The plan going into the draft for most teams is not to have any glaring holes in which you are outright forced to make pick on.

- D'Brick is over paid.

- D'Bricks play has fallen of the last few years.

- Cutting him now creates a massive monumental hole which, unless we are really really lucky will take lots of resources to fix or we will be suffering with a team killing weakness on offense.

If people are willing to take that chance fine but don't assume we will come up with a guy as good or as durable as what we have.

But only premium players at that position get premium dollars. Okung is making less than half that, with $0 guaranteed, and he's both a better pass blocker and a better run blocker. There were far better options available than staying the course with Ferguson. 

I don't see his durability as being so valuable. Not anymore.  If he was still a great pass blocker then it's tremendously valuable. But being below average now, never missing a snap isn't much of an asset. 

Agree 100% that it doesn't mean we necessarily get an upgrade, but an upgrade will never happen so long as he's out there. That he is an anvil drowning the team's salary cap only makes it that much worse.

I think the LT position may be one where MacC did not do enough in FA.  It and OLB still qualify as holes, although it appears that there are bodies to play OLB.  

The Jets are almost forced to take a T high in the draft, which is not supposed to be the way you are supposed to draft.

Becham, Osemele or Smith could have added valuable depth to the roster and allowed them to pick a QB in round 1 with more peace of mind.

I do think that Brick's deal will end up sewing him up for 2 more years likely, which I guess gives them time to find a T.  

If the Jets do take a QB in round 1, look for them to pick a T in round 2.

So you are fine with having some guy we have no clue about play half the games a year if not more?

Okung games played 10, 12, 15, 8, 14, 13 and is coming off an injury. 

I've said it before people around here have become spoiled re our LT play, guy never misses a snap let alone a game, not a top tier guy anymore but still not an outright disaster.  for sure over paid and I'll understand if the Jets end up cutting him for finance reasons but I would fully expect Lt to become a big problem with this team and perhaps the #1 priority to fill.  Want to add that QB or pass rusher?  Great!  Get to the back of the line becasue LT is the biggest hole on the team.

I documented the Phins search for a LT in a thread a week or so ago, it isn't pretty.

Archived