Gailey: Giant Steps for Geno

Maxman

I don't think that Gailey is the end all be all of OCs and I often couldn't understand his play calling. I didn't like him regularly going to 3rd or 4th option receivers in important game changing types of situations. Like with Devin Smith who didn't make clutch plays and Kenbrell Thompkins. He had enough play makers he could have gone to and guys who would have given us a better chance at success. I'm not saying don't use those guys. But not when the game is on the line. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, JiF said:

How does changing QBs after 5 or 6 games bring stability to the position? 

My hope that a kid takes the job doesn't mean one of them will.  He brings stability because if Geno continues to play like Geno, he'll likely be cut.  If Petty and/or Hack aren't ready, the Jets don't have to rush either one of them.  They won't have great QB play, but they won't have "worst QB in the NF play" eitehr If Fitz continues to be what he's proven himself to be, a 20-something TD guy with INT's in the high teens, this team can still win if the defense is as good as advertised.  

3 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Yet, Fitz lovers wants to give him credit for every win.

Nice way to contradict yourself, fool.

Show me where I said that.

Fitz wasn't top ten in passes completed (bottom 10 of the leauge)

15th in yards

11th in TD's

24th in passer rating

22nd in yards a game

27th in YPA Bottom ten in yards per completion

Bottom 15 in passes completed a game 9th in TD percent

5th in interceptions. 

Oh how elite he is! Oh how great he is! with the cast around any quarterback they could do the same. Why pay 7 million and restructure contracts for bottom 10 QB play? I think the love for Fitztragic has something to do with race. I see people on here sh*tting on Sanchez and Geno calling them stupid, is it because they are minorities? I know a lot of you guys are 70+ years old, but we don't live in that age anymore.

28 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. That was a freak accident. Geno's was dumb. Step out of bounds, you're the only healthy QB able to play in the game. Take no chances. Just shows his lack of growth. 

Freak accident? 

Freak accident?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000443212/Fitzpatrick-suffers-injury-on-rush-attempt

Freak accident? This is 1st and 10....NOT 3rd and goal. The very next possession Fitz throws a terrible INT and he looked not to be himself after this hit. He was hurt. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000585249/Jets-Ryan-Fitzpatrick-rushes-for-a-6-yard-touchdown

Freak accident? 

The dude doesnt protect himself. He never slides which is DUMB. This is why he's considered an injury prone QB. And this stupidity has no excuse...he went to Harvard lol. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Freak accident? 

Freak accident?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000443212/Fitzpatrick-suffers-injury-on-rush-attempt

Freak accident? This is 1st and 10....NOT 3rd and goal. The very next possession Fitz throws a terrible INT and he looked not to be himself after this hit. He was hurt. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000585249/Jets-Ryan-Fitzpatrick-rushes-for-a-6-yard-touchdown

Freak accident? 

The dude doesnt protect himself. He never slides which is DUMB. This is why he's considered an injury prone QB. And this stupidity has not excuse...he went Harvard lol. 

Yes....Geno had a nice run.

That being said Villain, do you seriously not understand the importance of a QB keeping himself out of harms way when there's nobody behind him as opposed to a starting QB playing hard with another healthy QB on the bench?  Really?  You think those two things are the same?

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Geno had a nice run...great.

That being said Villain, do you seriously not understand the importance of a QB keeping himself out of harms way when there's nobody behind him as opposed to a starting QB playing hard with another healthy QB on the bench?  Really?  You think those two things are the same?

I understand favoritism and ignoring facts when I see it. 

9 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Fitz wasn't top ten in passes completed (bottom 10 of the leauge)

15th in yards

11th in TD's

24th in passer rating

22nd in yards a game

27th in YPA Bottom ten in yards per completion

Bottom 15 in passes completed a game 9th in TD percent

5th in interceptions. 

Oh how elite he is! Oh how great he is! with the cast around any quarterback they could do the same. Why pay 7 million and restructure contracts for bottom 10 QB play? I think the love for Fitztragic has something to do with race. I see people on here sh*tting on Sanchez and Geno calling them stupid, is it because they are minorities? I know a lot of you guys are 70+ years old, but we don't live in that age anymore.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was also 31st in the league when throwing the football in between the hash marks. Basically the 2nd worst starting QB when throwing the ball down the middle of the field. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I understand favoritism and ignoring facts when I see it. 

What does one have to do with the other?  I'm asking a legitimate question.  Just because one person prefers one player to another, doesn't mean you dismiss or ignore a valid point if you're trying to have a real conversation.

If somebody says it's foolish for a QB to put himself in harm's way with no viable option on the bench behind him, how can you possibly disagree with that?  

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was also 31st in the league when throwing the football in between the hash marks. Basically the 2nd worst starting QB when throwing the ball down the middle of the field. 

Where was his offense in points per game?

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, but the difference between Fitz and Geno is that Fitz generally throws more TD's than he commits turnovers.  Put points on the board (11th scoring offense in the NFL) and I can live with turnovers.  Finish 29th in scoring while averaging over 20 turnovers a year...that's bad QB play IMO.

I've never ignored Fitz's past, but I look at it fairly and that upsets a lot of people.  I did an article on him after he was acquired to show that he's a decent QB who puts the ball in the end zone who has played on some horrible teams. He was exactly what I expected him to be which was a HUGE upgrade from Sanchez and Geno.  

I just hope it's not too late to trade for Glennon.

This is what I mean by favoritism. This is now Geno's 4th year in the league. He's thrown 27TD's and 35 INT's in his first 31 games. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick in 4 years threw 21TD's and 27INT's in his first 28 games. 

Favoritism. 

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Freak accident? 

Freak accident?

Freak accident? 

The dude doesnt protect himself. He never slides which is DUMB. This is why he's considered an injury prone QB. And this stupidity has no excuse...he went Harvard lol. 

Neither of those plays is the one in question. Please stay on topic. 

lol Nice comeback!

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/geno-smith-voted-worst-qb-in-nfl-for-second-straight-year-072115

Things have yet to get better for New York Jets third-year quarterback Geno Smith. He holds a career passer rating of 71.5 and posted a QBR of 35.4 in 2014, which was second-worst in the league ahead of only Blake Bortles. Going into 2015, his third season as a pro, Smith's stock may have plummeted more than ever.

For the second-straight season, Smith was voted the league's worst quarterback, according to a poll of NFL insiders and coaches done by ESPN. He ranked 32nd behind fellow AFC East quarterback Matt Cassel, who may not even be the starter come regular season. 

It's never a title you want to hold, but someone has to do it, and Smith has held it for two-straight years.

"Geno is a 5, and that is it," one coach told ESPN. "He cannot process fast enough. He is not a natural guy, sliding in the pocket and knowing when to run it. He has some legs to run, but no, he is trying to prove he is a pocket passer. Let's do something at the position before we start limiting ourselves for image."

Not exactly what you want to hear said about your quarterback, but let's face it -- it's the truth. Smith hasn't shown enough in two years to solidify his spot as a starting quarterback in this league, and he may never do so. If there is a time for Smith to elevate his game and prove his worth, it's in 2015. 

This is what I mean by favoritism. This is now Geno's 4th year in the league. He's thrown 27TD's and 35 INT's in his first 31 games. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick in 4 years threw 21TD's and 27INT's in his first 28 games. 

Favoritism. 

How mad are you at the FO for offering a new contract and starting job to an inferior QB?

What do they not know that you do since they've said Fitz is their top choice, but Geno only gets the job by default if Fitz doesn't sign?

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/geno-smith-voted-worst-qb-in-nfl-for-second-straight-year-072115

Things have yet to get better for New York Jets third-year quarterback Geno Smith. He holds a career passer rating of 71.5 and posted a QBR of 35.4 in 2014, which was second-worst in the league ahead of only Blake Bortles. Going into 2015, his third season as a pro, Smith's stock may have plummeted more than ever.

For the second-straight season, Smith was voted the league's worst quarterback, according to a poll of NFL insiders and coaches done by ESPN. He ranked 32nd behind fellow AFC East quarterback Matt Cassel, who may not even be the starter come regular season. 

It's never a title you want to hold, but someone has to do it, and Smith has held it for two-straight years.

"Geno is a 5, and that is it," one coach told ESPN. "He cannot process fast enough. He is not a natural guy, sliding in the pocket and knowing when to run it. He has some legs to run, but no, he is trying to prove he is a pocket passer. Let's do something at the position before we start limiting ourselves for image."

Not exactly what you want to hear said about your quarterback, but let's face it -- it's the truth. Smith hasn't shown enough in two years to solidify his spot as a starting quarterback in this league, and he may never do so. If there is a time for Smith to elevate his game and prove his worth, it's in 2015. 

Completely forgot about this article until now...ugh.

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Jets' Chan Gailey says Geno Smith has 'made giant steps'

Geno Smith
Geno Smith is entering Year 4 with the Jets. (AP Photo | Julio Cortez) (Julio Cortez)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on May 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM, updated May 17, 2016 at 11:38 AM

NORTH CALDWELL — It's still unclear if Geno Smith will be the Jets' starting quarterback in Week 1. But he's technically the top quarterback currently in their building, because last year's starter, Ryan Fitzpatrick, remains unsigned. 

On Monday, Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey became the latest member of the organization to offer a public vote of confidence for Smith. 

Jets rookie minicamp takeawaysWhat we noticed about Christian Hackenberg, Darron Lee, and others, during the Jets' three-day rookie minicamp. 5/10/16 (Video by Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

"He's learned so much in one year," Gailey said at Jets linebacker David Harris' charity golf event, which benefits the Give the Kids Hope Foundation. "The one game he played in last year [in Oakland], I thought he did very well. There's always room for improvement, but I thought he did very well. And I think he's made giant steps. I think he's right on track for where I'd like him to be." 

It's no surprise to hear Gailey say positive things about Smith, just as it was no great shocker when wide receivers Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall recently did the same, when asked directly about Smith. Do you expect them to say the guy is a bumbling nincompoop? Of course they're going to publicly support him. 

What actually matters is how Smith plays, if given the chance. He mostly failed as the Jets' starter from 2013-14. That Oakland loss was his lone appearance last season, and he threw two touchdowns and one interception. As he enters Year 4, Smith's career numbers are: 27 touchdowns, 35 interceptions, 72.3 rating. 

Smith declined to speak with reporters Monday at Harris' event. 

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How mad are you at the FO for offering a new contract and starting job to an inferior QB?

What do they not know that you do since they've said Fitz is their top choice, but Geno only gets the job by default if Fitz doesn't sign?

Im not mad at all. Geno showed that he was better than Fitzpatrick last season, and he can prove it again this season if they sign Fitz. 

The question is, how mad will people be if they have to finally come to grips that Fitzpatrick isnt coming back? 

Im not mad at all. Geno showed that he was better than Fitzpatrick last season, and he can prove it again this season if they sign Fitz. 

The question is, how mad will people be if they have to finally come to grips that Fitzpatrick isnt coming back? 

So the Jets threw away a chance to win the SB last season and you're okay with that?  Wow.

Chan Gailey thought Geno did so well against the Raiders they rushed Fitz back post surgery instead of turning to him. Todd Bowles thought so much of Geno he named the 2016 QB someone who wasn't under contract. The GM thought so much of Geno, he drafted Bryce Petty and Hackenberg in consecutive years and are still actively trying to bring back Fitz. 

I wouldnt go that far.....you sound like one of those Geno Lovers. 

With wins against the Bills they win the division and get home playoff games.  If they were 11th in scoring with Fitz, surely they'd have been top-five with Geno.  Hey, even Steve Young said the Jets could make a SB run if they got in to the playoffs.  If then won 10 games with Fitz, they surely would've won 13 or 14 with Geno.  

So if Geno starts, how many TD's does he throw this season?  Better O-line and much better weapons on offense....should be good for what, 40 TD's?

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Chan Gailey thought Geno did so well against the Raiders they rushed Fitz back post surgery instead of turning to him. Todd Bowles thought so much of Geno he named the 2016 QB someone who wasn't under contract. The GM thought so much of Geno, he drafted Bryce Petty and Hackenberg in consecutive years and are still actively trying to bring back Fitz. 

Chan and Macc thought Geno would be so poor that they rushed to sign Fitz just to make sure that they didnt have to ever worry about that possibility. 

Oh wait....

Chan and Macc thought Geno would be so poor that they rushed to sign Fitz just to make sure that they didnt have to ever worry about that possibility. 

Oh wait....

Not being signed right now means nothing. Talk to me week 1. 

With wins against the Bills they win the division and get home playoff games.  If they were 11th in scoring with Fitz, surely they'd have been top-five with Geno.  Hey, even Steve Young said the Jets could make a SB run if they got in to the playoffs.  If then won 10 games with Fitz, they surely would've won 13 or 14 with Geno.  

So if Geno starts, how many TD's does he throw this season?  Better O-line and much better weapons on offense....should be good for what, 40 TD's?

Dude, you're really starting to sound like one of those Geno lovers! lol. Really bro, stop. 

Im not interested in playing that game. But what I am interested in is this. At this moment, Ryan Fitzpatrick isnt the money he thought he was worth. Furthermore, the Jets think so highly of him that they're not even willing to budge an "inch" past what they offered. 

Geno Smith is currently the Jets starter. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a free agent. 

Sorry. 

Dude, you're really starting to sound like one of those Geno lovers! lol. Really bro, stop. 

Im not interested in playing that game. But what I am interested in is this. At this moment, Ryan Fitzpatrick isnt the money he thought he was worth. Furthermore, the Jets think so highly of him that they're not even willing to budge an "inch" past what they offered. 

Geno Smith is currently the Jets starter. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a free agent. 

Sorry. 

The Jets have said repeatedly that Ryan Fitzpatrick is their top priority and their starter if he returns.  They've also drafted two QB's since taking over and seeing what they had in Geno.

Sorry.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not being signed right now means nothing. Talk to me week 1. 

Now is the time for the Geno fans to soak it up and enjoy it while it lasts.

Question is, will they go with him to his new team if he gets cut?

But until otherwise....

Sorry! :P

No need to be sorry.  I'm happy with the direction of this team and even happier with the fact that they see Geno on the roster and his presence is enough to make them keep drafting QB's and trying to bring Fitz back to start.  

If they had Geno and weren't drafting and signing multiple players who play his position, I'd be miserable.

Feel free to send me your sympathies if they cut ties with Hack/Petty, trade for Sanchez and sign Tebow.

No need to be sorry.  I'm happy with the direction of this team and even happier with the fact that they see Geno on the roster and his presence is enough to make them keep drafting QB's and trying to bring Fitz back to start.  

If they had Geno and weren't drafting and signing multiple players who play his position, I'd be miserable.

Feel free to send me your sympathies if they cut ties with Hack/Petty, trade for Sanchez and sign Tebow.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And if the Jets ever signed Tebow, I'd hold out this season and once Glennon signs with a team next year that'll be the team Im rooting for! lol. 

Archived