Gailey: Giant Steps for Geno

Maxman

5 hours ago, jetrider said:

No, I didn't think that. You're sadly mistaken. I didn't think he'd be ready as a backup even. I thought Hack was ahead of Petty the moment Chad read the card.

If Fitz returns and we can't keep four, I'd say Petty is gone. He's so far behind the others (is what I meant) ... as you described ...

Translation: he's behind. :rolleyes:

how exactly do you know where petty is ?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, slats said:

Nice spin. 

Conversely, the Jets think so much of Fitzpatrick that the drafted Petty shortly after trading for him, and drafted Hackenberg while allowing Fitz to linger in free agency all the way into May. In fact, the whole league thinks so highly of Fitz that he's still unemployed. 

It's obvious that the Jets see neither Fitzpatrick nor Geno as the future of the franchise. The question remains how much they value Fitz over Geno for this year. So far, it's clearly less than he's asking. Like the other 31 teams in the league, they (correctly) don't think he's worth starter money. 

Slats this is nonsense . Everyone knows Fitz is here for a few years then the Jets give the job to one of the young QB's on the roster. Drafting those rookies has much more to say about Geno and how they feel about him, not Fitz. There was no spin there what so ever

18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Slats this is nonsense . Everyone knows Fitz is here for a few years then the Jets give the job to one of the young QB's on the roster. Drafting those rookies has much more to say about Geno and how they feel about him, not Fitz. There was no spin there what so ever

Maybe two people think the Jets want Fitz to start for them for more than one season (if that), and you're one of them. 

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

I told you earlier today, I'm backing away from the teenager talk and sticking with the adults.  Some have asked  you to stop referencing the masturbatory practices of other Jets fans but I see no need to ask.  If that's your thing (which it clearly is) then I have nothing to say to you. 

Have a great day.

Ah, so once again you have nothing to say because you don't have any facts. There was not a reference to masturbation in that post, so I guess that was just a ploy for you since you don't have any answers for the truth.

thanks for proving you don't know anything.

12 hours ago, ljr said:

Were you a buyer of Paxton Lynch in round 1?

i was intrigued ... Didn't want to go that way at pick 20 though  ... Maybe would have tried to trade back in to the bottom of the round.

Heard Elway say Lych is closer to being ready than most think.

Crazy if he takes that job from Sanchez at some point as a rookie.

17 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I Enjoyed the last 5 seconds the Best :)

Wow! Pre Bowles the only 2 players he threw TDs to were Amaro & Decker! What does that tell you about the lack of talent he played with, it's undeniable! Not 1 player will be a starter (maybe Kerley?), and most of the rest are OUT OF THE NFL! These weren't old players, just bad players! Watching him move around in those clips, I think Gailey can really design an offense to stretch the field with the weapons he'll have if he gets the start in 2016. I'm telling you guys that Geno Smith under Gailey will be a BETTER Kordell Stewart. Kordell didn't have close to the throwing skills that Geno possesses. In 2014 when Geno rolled out he had oven Mitts Ivory, pint sized slow Kerley, and Jeff Cumberland,lol. In 2016 he'll have 6'-5" Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte & Amaro/Enunwa. Has any young QB ever played with worse skill players? I'm talking about 5 to 7 guys that can't make 53 man rosters! I'd love to go back & look at who David Carr, EJ Manuel, and some other guys with similar Geno stats in their 1st two years. Looking back, how in the hell did we win 8 games his rookie year?

On 5/18/2016 at 7:26 PM, Lizard King said:

This is so Jets. Being semi extorted for an obscene contract by a journeyman who has been on a new team every other year of his career! I'm glad Maccagnan is holding his ground, agents clearly think our front office is clueless and we need to change the image!

It's so jets to have the 1st really good consistent Qb performance and offense in years and years and then not be able to retain the guy who just had a good year and are now staring at Geno Smith as a starter.  That is so jets.

The ONLY giant steps Geno is making is giant steps RIGHT OUT THE DOOR. Can't everyone tell me you're being lied to?! It is a complete crock of sh*t when a coach tells you Geno is taking giant steps when they have already made it known their intent is to resign Fitz AND they already have two QB's of their own on the roster. That's called COMMON SENSE.

When Fitz gets resigned and he will get resigned. Bank on it. Geno Smith is f*cking GONE. Then you'll know that all of these dumb reports were merely fluff BS because no CS is going to throw on of their players under the bus as much as they may want to.

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Your response confirmed why evolution is such a dangerous ideology. I simply exposed that fact through history of people who've held the ideology that weird/unusual cultures to the modern world is associated with some sort of evolutionary differentiation. Thats simply poor education based on a false superiority point of view, which leads to people ultimately being victims of this ideology really on both sides. 

That isnt even about black people or white people but about indigenous people with their own set of core values that are not respected by the evolutionary doctrine because evolution associates these people as sub-human. How dangerous (and pompous) is that psychologically? 

The reason why people thought it was okay to even put indigenous people in zoo's or cages was because of the true nature of what evolution really is. You take one day out of your life to review the origins of evolution and you realize evolution was created as a sort of systematic desensitization to support what was going on during that time in order to curb the anxieties of what people (the "modern" population) knew deep down was morally and intellectually wrong. In otherwords, evolution was the excuse. 

Evolution is and will always be dangerous, not just because its a lie, but because of the direct historical outcome of the ideology that we today ignore because of something else just as dangerous.....political correctness. Thats not overreacting, thats just calling it how it is. 

But look, this isnt anthropology class, and I wasnt attacking you personally, just your statement. If you respond I'll of course read it, but im going to get back to football now. I dont want any Mods thinking that this is going to get out of control or they have to start locking threads. 

And I promise you, its never a good idea to believe that you came from a monkey. 

This falls pretty squarely under the no religion rule. Let's never have another post on this subject, ever. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, win4ever said:

Lol, Geno is in the last year of his contract, and the Jets need leverage/backup plans

Best case scenario:  Geno does well, you have to have backups that are capable to have leverage in negotiations.  

Worst case scenario:  Geno sucks, so we need backups with potential to move on to.

In either instance, it makes sense to have young guys develop behind Geno Smith as secondary options. 

I agree. Fitz is a good team mate, but we dont have to make it seem like other QB's cant learn while under Geno. The coaches control the outcome of the team. These guys will be fine. 

If Geno does well then thats good for us, if he doesnt Hackenberg could be ready to come in by next year. 

13 hours ago, jetrider said:

No, I didn't think that. You're sadly mistaken. I didn't think he'd be ready as a backup even. I thought Hack was ahead of Petty the moment Chad read the card.

If Fitz returns and we can't keep four, I'd say Petty is gone. He's so far behind the others (is what I meant) ... as you described ...

Translation: he's behind. :rolleyes:

He's where the Jets expected him to be, so no, he's not behind.

On 5/17/2016 at 7:51 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. That was a freak accident. Geno's was dumb. Step out of bounds, you're the only healthy QB able to play in the game. Take no chances. Just shows his lack of growth. 

Be more like Fitzpatrick.  Lower your head and ram into LBers from the 2 yard line when you have Chris Ivory on the team.

14 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Would love nothing more than to see Geno put it all together and tear it up this season. Never doubted his physical talent but I just think the damage has been done with him.  We've heard of him progressing and having outstanding practice reps, but it's never consistently translated to the NFL games. Unfortunately it's a case of not being able to believe it until you see it.

He's in such a strange position. Right now it looks as though he'll either start or be cut. Bit of a shame because I DO think he's a good backup to have. 

It has translated to games though at least the extremely small sample size we saw last year.  I can't wait till next Tuesday to see if we pass the first deadline marker with Fitz and Geno takes control of the team from the get go.  I've had my issues with Geno and I don't think he fits everything I want a QB to be for the NY Jets but we are NY Jets fans and we all should be rooting for a good underdog recovery story.  Even the most devout Geno haters should be rooting for a good season from him so we can at least get a decent compensatory pick for him if the organization decides to move on next year.

19 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

This whole Geno vs Fitz holy war smacks of religious fervor. 

No more like irrational hatred to me.   Then again maybe it is religious fervor. 

19 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

This whole Geno vs Fitz holy war smacks of religious fervor. 

On May 19, 2016 at 10:23 AM, detectivekimble said:

He's where the Jets expected him to be, so no, he's not behind.

That's beside the point. Petty is behind the other QBs in terms of being a starter because they are developmentally ahead and Petty is therefore behind (them). 

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

That's beside the point. Petty is behind the other QBs in terms of being a starter because they are developmentally ahead and Petty is therefore behind (them). 

So you think the Jets are going to cut Petty -- who they knew was a multiyear project -- because he's a multiyear project?  How much do you want to bet that they will show Geno the door before Petty?

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

So you think the Jets are going to cut Petty -- who they knew was a multiyear project -- because he's a multiyear project?  How much do you want to bet that they will show Geno the door before Petty?

Because they found a better alternative (Hackenberg). Unfortunately for Petty, if Fitz returns and they don't keep all four they must cut the least serviceable one. Petty was drafted when a multi-year project served their needs with two vets already on roster. Now they added Hackenberg who pushes Petty back again. No way they cut a bargain vet starter (Geno) that's game tested, young, and ready to start and gives the most value for the buck. No way they cut Hackenberg. That leaves Petty the closest to the door.

On May 17, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Beerfish said:

Just don't turn the ball over or take mind bogglingly bad sacks and you can play in this league Geno.  I just don;t think he will ever avoid those issues unfortunately.

The good news is that he'll actually have receivers to throw to besides Kerley and Nelson. Still, with those two pro bowlers as your 1 and 2 starters, I can't imagine how he didn't do well in the passing game

3 hours ago, jetrider said:

Because they found a better alternative (Hackenberg). Unfortunately for Petty, if Fitz returns and they don't keep all four they must cut the least serviceable one. Petty was drafted when a multi-year project served their needs with two vets already on roster. Now they added Hackenberg who pushes Petty back again. No way they cut a bargain vet starter (Geno) that's game tested, young, and ready to start and gives the most value for the buck. No way they cut Hackenberg. That leaves Petty the closest to the door.

Petty isn't going anywhere.

8 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't know that it is Geno v. Fitz as much as pro-Geno v. anti-Geno. How many people are more than lukewarm about Fitz?

More than are that way for Geno (including the Front Office & Head Coach thank God

(edited to add - I basically agree with your point though, lol)

7 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

So you think the Jets are going to cut Geno, who they were going to have start over Fitz before the IK incident? A guy who they thought was the clearly holding down his position as the first stringer during training camp? 

How much you want to bet that Geno will be on this roster for the entire season, either as the starter or the back up if Macc is that desperate to cave in to Fitz demands? 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

So you think the Jets are going to cut Geno, who they were going to have start over Fitz before the IK incident? A guy who they thought was the clearly holding down his position as the first stringer during training camp? 

How much you want to bet that Geno will be on this roster for the entire season, either as the starter or the back up if Macc is that desperate to cave in to Fitz demands? 

I think they cut Geno once the negotiating battle is resolved & Fitz is back in camp.

does that happen immediately , during TC, or preseason ? I'm not sure.., probably depends on if Petty or Hack are showing themselves to not be overwhelmed for the backup role in 2016 ... but I believe it will happen.

i ain't gonna bet money though ... Because besides being a cheap ba$tard (other than bar tabs) the wife controls the $$$!.

i will make a silly bet though if you like ... Maybe loser has to say a Quote of the winner's choosing in the Topic of the winner's choosing week 1 of the regular season game day ?

1 minute ago, ljr said:

I think they cut Geno once the negotiating battle is resolved & Fitz is back in camp.

does that happen immediately , during TC, or preseason ? I'm not sure.., probably depends on if Petty or Hack are showing themselves to not be overwhelmed for the backup role in 2016 ... but I believe it will happen.

i ain't gonna bet money though ... Because besides being a cheap ba$tard (other than bar tabs) the wife controls the $$$!.

i will make a silly bet though if you like ... Maybe loser has to say a Quote of the winner's choosing in the Topic of the winner's choosing week 1 of the regular season game day ?

You're basically saying that Petty and Hack would have to beat out Geno Smith during training camp. With what reps exactly? 

If that was the case then why even say "at this moment Geno is our starter". Just say that "We'll be having a competition". Macc has flat out said that Geno at this moment is the Jets starter, though they want Fitz back. You dont go from being the starter to being released for QB's that have never played a down in the league and havent shown that they're good enough to be the starter now. Petty was on the team last year so Macc and the coaching staff got to see him in practice everyday. 

Also, its not like they'd be getting a crap load of money by releasing Geno. Geno is only 1.5 million on the cap. Why the heck cut your best QB on the roster? If Fitz gets hurt (which he's an injury prone QB so you MUST take this into consideration) are you really going to put the season in the hands of Petty or Hackenberg even though you dont even want Hackenberg on the field right now? 

You're reaching. 

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You're basically saying that Petty and Hack would have to beat out Geno Smith during training camp. With what reps exactly? 

If that was the case then why even say "at this moment Geno is our starter". Just say that "We'll be having a competition". Macc has flat out said that Geno at this moment is the Jets starter, though they want Fitz back. You dont go from being the starter to being released for QB's that have never played a down in the league and havent shown that they're good enough to be the starter now. Petty was on the team last year so Macc and the coaching staff got to see him in practice everyday. 

Also, its not like they'd be getting a crap load of money by releasing Geno. Geno is only 1.5 million on the cap. Why the heck cut your best QB on the roster? If Fitz gets hurt (which he's an injury prone QB so you MUST take this into consideration) are you really going to put the season in the hands of Petty or Hackenberg even though you dont even want Hackenberg on the field right now? 

You're reaching. 

I don't think it's out of the question.

Let's see how things shake out during training camp and preaseason.

Geno is going into the last year of his contract.

If Petty is flashing and progressing nicely, Mac and Bowles could certainly choose to move forward with their draft pick who is under contract for longer. They were comfortable enough with Petty as the backup going into last season when Geno was injured.

Archived