NFL.com Training Camp Previews

jamesr

OK, I know these are mostly written to fill in quiet time in July, and even the articles themselves say they are making "Way-too-early" season predictions. But i'm having trouble understanding the logic behind the Bills and Jets pieces.

Bear in mind the Jets finished 2 games ahead of the Bills last year, although lost both games to the Bills (each by 5 points) in the process.

Jets

Way-too-early season prediction: Even with Fitzpatrick, it's hard to view this as a playoff-bound club. At the moment, we have them projected for six or seven wins depending on how a much more difficult schedule shakes out.

Bills

Way-too-early season prediction: I've seen two very good Rex Ryan seasons first-hand, and a few not so good. I've learned to never count him out, especially when his back is against the wall. I count 10 winnable games on Buffalo's schedule this season, and I expect the Bills to take sole position of second place in the AFC East with a nine-win season.

So, with 12 identical games, 2 head-to-head games, and 2 different opponents (Jets : @ KC / Indy; Bills : @ Oak / Jax) - the Jets are to take a step back due to a much more difficult schedule, but Buffalo have 10 winnable games? I just fail to see how the Jets schedule is so much harder, but the Bills is not, given that they are practically the same?? If I were to take a guess at the games they counted as "not winnable" on the Bills schedule, I'd say NE * 2, Seattle, Arizona, Pittsburgh & Cincy. Let's take those same 6 as "not winnable" for the Jets (which I would disagree with due to home / away match ups, but for sake of argument let's go with that). Which are then the games on the Jets schedule that are unwinnable, but which are winnable for Buffalo?

I don't believe for a moment either head-to-head game counts - both were very close contests lat year.

I don't see a great difference between @ KC / vs. Indy and @ Oakland / vs. Jax - both have very tough road games, and winnable home games. (For the record, Jets beat Indy on the road last year, while Buffalo lost to Jax in London; Jets lost in Oakland and Buffalo lost on @ KC).

So where are these mystery match ups??

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

OK, I know these are mostly written to fill in quiet time in July, and even the articles themselves say they are making "Way-too-early" season predictions. But i'm having trouble understanding the logic behind the Bills and Jets pieces.

Bear in mind the Jets finished 2 games ahead of the Bills last year, although lost both games to the Bills (each by 5 points) in the process.

Jets

Bills

So, with 12 identical games, 2 head-to-head games, and 2 different opponents (Jets : @ KC / Indy; Bills : @ Oak / Jax) - the Jets are to take a step back due to a much more difficult schedule, but Buffalo have 10 winnable games? I just fail to see how the Jets schedule is so much harder, but the Bills is not, given that they are practically the same?? If I were to take a guess at the games they counted as "not winnable" on the Bills schedule, I'd say NE * 2, Seattle, Arizona, Pittsburgh & Cincy. Let's take those same 6 as "not winnable" for the Jets (which I would disagree with due to home / away match ups, but for sake of argument let's go with that). Which are then the games on the Jets schedule that are unwinnable, but which are winnable for Buffalo?

I don't believe for a moment either head-to-head game counts - both were very close contests lat year.

I don't see a great difference between @ KC / vs. Indy and @ Oakland / vs. Jax - both have very tough road games, and winnable home games. (For the record, Jets beat Indy on the road last year, while Buffalo lost to Jax in London; Jets lost in Oakland and Buffalo lost on @ KC).

So where are these mystery match ups??

I can't get too worked up about this.  Every year it seems like the Bills and Fins get much more love than we do, pre-season, and it is most often wrong. 

The NFL is a league of parity where the middle 60% of teams are essentially even.  It all comes down to the overall health of the players on your roster during the season and getting the bounces which so often decide a win vs. a loss in each individual game.

In this age of fantasy football, so much attention is given to the offense.  People seem to forget that 3 of the last 4 Superbowls were won primarily due to a strong defense.  The Jets defense should be among the best in league this year.

The schedule argument is getting so tiresome.  There isn't a single team in the league that the Jets can't compete with and beat.  They are going into year 2 of new systems on both offense and defense, and they have a good mix of experienced vets and young talent on both sides of the ball.  The Jets hit their stride in the final half of last season when they started to look like a legitimate Superbowl contender.  I see no reason why they can't continue this trend heading into this season.  Players like Marshall, Forte, Decker, Mangold, Wilkerson, Richardson, and Revis are going to make this team tough to beat for any opponent.

People can have any opinion they want but it's beyond moronic to say the Jets have
a difficult schedule and BUF has 10 winnable games WHEN WE HAVE THE EXACT SAME SCHEDULE
EXCEPT FOR 2 GAMES!!!  On top of that the media needs to stop basing Ryan's coaching
ability on his personality, because he's been well below average the past five years

Archived