Here's what Juston Burris has done at Jets camp, besides cut Ryan Fitzpatrick's hair

Gas2No99

Here's what Juston Burris has done at Jets camp, besides cut Ryan Fitzpatrick's hair

nfl-new-york-jets-training-camp-c44164a5

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — If you didn't know Juston Burris' name, you learned about the Jets' rookie cornerback this week. 

That's because he's the guy who shaved quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's bushy hair down to a buzz cut. Fitzpatrick lost a bet, after telling the defensive players that the next guy who intercepted him would get to cut his hair. And Burris just so happened to pick off Fitzpatrick in Tuesday's practice.

Burris, whom the Jets drafted in Round 4 out of North Carolina State, has flashed at times in this training camp, while still showing rookie shortcomings. 

Early in camp, Burris broke up a pass to the end zone for star wide receiver Brandon Marshall. But in the next practice, Marshall got revenge, and burned Burris deep down the sideline. 

On Thursday, two days after Burris' pick put the clippers in his hands, he broke up a pass for receiver Titus Davis — a fine play. But Jalin Marshall also beat Burris deep on a sideline pass. 

Typical rookie mixed results so far for Burris, whose length and size (6 feet and 212 pounds) give him press coverage potential for the future. He won't have a prominent role this season, barring injury. 

Burris, who is playing only outside corner right now, doesn't shy away from matchups with Brandon Marshall, even when Marshall toasts him. 

"I feel like if I can stick with him, I can really play on this level," Burris told NJ Advance Media. "I'm trying to get these guys to stop calling me rookie and start calling me Juston. If I come out here and make some plays, maybe somebody will learn my name. That's the biggest thing, just try to earn some respect out here.

"He knows I'm going to get back up there, and I'm going to go back at him. I just want to go back the next play and show him I'm not scared of him.

"I just want to come out here every day and show the guys that I can play on this level. As a rookie coming in, these guys don't respect you, no matter what you did in college. They want to see what you can do on this level." 

Even though Burris was a successful press coverage corner in college, he quickly learned he must limit his physicality in the NFL, lest penalty flags fly. 

During one spring practice, he said he got too "handsy," excessively using his hands in coverage. The officials flagged him a couple times that day. 

"I'm looking at the ref like: 'I did that in college, and that was nothing,'" Burris said. "But it's just a different game. That's just the learning curve. I understand how this game is going to be called a little more. That's what I needed." 

The Jets' coaches told Burris he needs to use his feet more efficiently, to put himself in proper position, so he doesn't have to grab as much with his hands. 

"On this level, it's a must," Burris said. 

Not only is the NFL game called differently, but receivers are bigger. 

"I was more handsy in college, trying to be more physical, trying to out-physical the guy," Burris said. "Out here, against these guys, you're not going to be able to bully everybody like I could in college." 

Burris is working on not only being quicker with feet, but also moving his hands simultaneously with his feet. That's what the best press coverage corners do. 

"That's why they brought me in, to play press corner and play on the outside," he said. "That's what I really want to focus on, just getting that part of my game down. I want to be an all-around corner, but I want to show them that I can do this right here, and I can help this team this year." 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com.

I LOVE THIS KID and was ELATED when we got him on the 4th round right where he was projected to go. He'll be an asset within 2 years. 

On August 6, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Lith said:

Burris left practice early yesterday after a collision with Brandon Bostick.

Rookie Juston Burris hurt after collision. Laid on the sideline for a bit, now walking slowly off with a trainer

Anyone hear if he is ok?

I believe it was a thigh bruise, not a ligament

Archived