When does Geno get cut/traded?

k-met57

19 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You have to say our fans are true front runners. They want to cut a guy based on one exhibition game. But don't get me wrong. If I got an offer for Geno from another team I'd jump on it. 

Yup, has nothing to do with the 4 years he has been here.

What's with the "he has experience " crap

so what you mean is someone who sucks at there job is always better then someone who has not done the job yet?  That's some real smart thinking right there. 

If someone sucks at their job you replace them. Most times with someone who has not done the job but has potential. 

Geno should not get any reps against the Giants.  

I do agree he should not be cut till the final 53 just in case both Fitz and Petty get hurt. 

21 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I kinda agree, but at the same time Fitz does not come close to passing the eye test either.

He has had multiple drops by Amaro especially. We'll get a better feel for Fitz against the Giants which will be almost like a regular season game. Against Philly we'll see Hack for the first - and last - time this season. I think Petty is winning the number two job.

21 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Me?  I always said any Geno outcome was better than spending over 7mil on Fitz.  And I still believe that.  

But Fitz is now making 12mil!  That changes things.  We're stuck with the big salary and Mr. Mediocre.

If Fitz was still unsigned, I'd really prefer a battle between Geno and Petty for #1 while Hack gets much needed reps.  The extra 12mil could have been saved for 1 great or 2 decent linemen next season.

But again, it is what it is now.  Fitz is gonna be our starter for at least a few weeks.  In meantime the young guys with potential are battling it out for #2.  May the best man win the job.

Mr mediocre > Mr. Terrible  

14 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Mr mediocre > Mr. Terrible  

Absolutely.  But the outcomes are a different story.

Finishing 2-14 (or anywhere under .500), saving 12mil and knowing where we stand with young QBs >>>>>>  Finishing 8-8 (or better), missing playoffs, bad draft pick, wasting 12mil, no clue about our younger QBs, and facing same situation in 2017

Basically mediocrity is the worst thing for an older "starting" QB.  If it was a young QB with potential, that's another story.  With old mediocrity though, we're just wasting time and money.

Again, hope I'm wrong and either Fitz finds a way to improve or Bowles makes the team good enough to beat top teams in spite of Fitz.

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

He has had multiple drops by Amaro especially. We'll get a better feel for Fitz against the Giants which will be almost like a regular season game. Against Philly we'll see Hack for the first - and last - time this season. I think Petty is winning the number two job.

We'll see. Nothing we say matters.

Bowles will start Fitz if he throws 4 INTs and Petty is 20/20 with 400 yards and 5 TDs Saturday,. It's one of my main concerns with Bowles, he has that defensive minded head coach overboard preference for veteran QBs and veteran QBs in general. People assume that we pass the torch to Petty or Hack next year, but I am not sure Bowles is signing up for that. Don't be too shocked to see the Jets keep Fitz another year, or actually sign another JAG veteran to start. I am completely unconvinced Bowles will ever play a young QB. 

Definitely not the way the Jets should go, and not in my view a formula for long term or even short term success. 

People think/though I am a Geno fan. Not true. I am just a big dis-believer in starting veteran retread QBs, especially mediocre ones like Fitz.

31TDs!!!

Best season ever by Jets QB!!!

Teammates love him!!!

All of those, especially the first 2 are a function of the Jets continuously signing very offensive conservative Head Coaches over and over. By any measure 31TDs and the season Fitz had last year is actually mediocre in today's offense focused NFL, but because of the way we handle QBs, we get literally ZERO performance from the position.

We have to find THE guy. And you find that by playing him. 

I would much rather see Petty or Geno out there this season than Fitz. For long term success you just need to get the right QB. And even the Fitz crowd admits he is not the long term answer, yet they are willing to throw a year's worth of answers at the QB position away for the .00000000001% chance of a Super Bowl.

A couple outliers aside (that had ALL TIME defenses) almost every Super Bowl has been won with a team that has an elite QB. 

Watching Fitz play, you can see he will never ever be elite. He will never ever be more than a JAG.Hence we will never win anything

Watching Petty, or even Geno at times (not this preseason) you can see elite potential. The Jets should develop that. And that means playing one of them. Bowles won't.

So just get ready for the 1-5 start Fitz will lead us to, and even then Bowles might not sit him. 

Archived