Real problems vs. reactionary narratives

Integrity28

38 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Almost as delusional as you thinking the Jets should have one of the best defenses in the league.

Expecting this defense with 6 former first-round picks (Mo, Shel, Leo, Revis, Pryor and Lee) and several FA signings starting on the field at any given time to be one of the best in the league is not a far-fetched expectation. 

On paper, this defense should have gotten a helluva lot better. If nothing else, it shouldn't have gotten worse.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Really?

How many interceptions has Ryan Fitzpatrick thrown trying to catch up from mediocre DLine play and pathetic secondary execution?  When the defense can't stop a cold the offense has to compensate. 

Just look at Sunday.  Seattle, with a one-legged quarterback and one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, marches up and down the field, and gets 2 touchdowns in the second quarter, takes an 11 point lead.  After that, the offense has to press, playcalling goes away from the run, and all of a sudden we have Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing the ball all over the place to generate some offense and that's when the interceptions occur.

Same for Kansas City, by the way.  The Jets were down 17-3 before Fitzpatrick pressed and the interceptions occurred.

Scapegoating the defense?  This is a joke, right?

SAR I

Eggzactlee.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Who is "we" and why does one persons perspective mean "this is what we're being told". 

At this point, anyone trying to prove which reason is more of "the reason" is wasting their ******* time. The defense is horrible, and it has consumed far more resources over the past decade. That's a HUGE organizational problem that spans multiple years. Fitz sucks. He benchable, and gone after this year. 

In the grand scheme of things, the defense is the bigger problem, because it's the harder problem to fix. Believe it or not. It's going to require even more resources to mend, which means less resources go to the offensive side of the ball. As usual.... which is what led us to Fitz in the first place.

One hand washes the other. It's not an argument dude, it's a predicament. If you want to campaign with anit-Fitz jargon, just go pop into a different thread... there's a ton of them. You won't be wrong in what you're saying, but you also won't be disruptive to the bigger conversation being had here.

You make some good points. But I don't think the defense is THAT big of a problem...with the right coaching. They have talent. It's misused talent, but the physical talent is there. Some immediate remedies:

• Bench Gilchrist. He does NOTHING!!
  • Stop playing 4 DL when you just need 3. It will fix the short pass defense AND put more pressure on the QB. Less is more in this case
  • Learn to play zone in the secondary.

38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, the #1 reason the D held the Chiefs to 10 points is because of a technicality that should be removed from the rulebook & never should have been there in the first place.

The other reason is that the Chiefs were playing ball control and IIRC they ate up roughly half the football game - some 25 minutes of game clock - on two first half drives. Then throw in another drive with 5 min left where they were just draining clock (indirectly, by draining our timeouts).

This was all with KC's most dangerous offensive weapon on the sideline. 

The D's stats are better than its actual performance. 

I assume you mean the call when a running back loses control of the football as he crosses the goal line.  Yeah, that rule was intended to prevent players from pushing it in intentionally.  VERY lucky break for the Jet D to get that call.

Just now, phill1c said:

You make some good points. But I don't think the defense is THAT big of a problem...with the right coaching. They have talent. It's misused talent, but the physical talent is there. Some immediate remedies:

• Bench Gilchrist. He does NOTHING!!
  • Stop playing 4 DL when you just need 3. It will fix the short pass defense AND put more pressure on the QB. Less is more in this case
  • Learn to play zone in the secondary.

More coaches = more resources.

Benching players = need players to replace them = more resources.

Fitz is one player. Yes, a QB, but in theory we should be able to put someone on the field that can do better than what he's giving us right now.

The defense, replacing both outside corners (yes, Revis), both safeties, at least one of the OLB, David Harris... I mean, that's a LOT.

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Really?

How many interceptions has Ryan Fitzpatrick thrown trying to catch up from mediocre DLine play and pathetic secondary execution?  When the defense can't stop a cold the offense has to compensate. 

Just look at Sunday.  Seattle, with a one-legged quarterback and one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, marches up and down the field, and gets 2 touchdowns in the second quarter, takes an 11 point lead.  After that, the offense has to press, playcalling goes away from the run, and all of a sudden we have Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing the ball all over the place to generate some offense and that's when the interceptions occur.

Same for Kansas City, by the way.  The Jets were down 17-3 before Fitzpatrick pressed and the interceptions occurred.

Scapegoating the defense?  This is a joke, right?

SAR I

Bingo.

The defense sucks... it's a thing now.

5 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Eggzactlee.

Is Fitzpatrick dating your sister?!

Playing from behind WHEN YOU HAVEN'T LED TD SCORING DRIVES is an absurd excuse.

The jets are behind because the Jets offense routinely squanders its opening drive, settling for FGs. And then, once the defense 'figures Fitz out' [starts covering the first read] we have to wait until the Jets get behind before he changes the tempo, goes to a hurry up, and gets the balls to throw farther downfield. That's usually the last drive of the half. Meanwhile, the Jets defense, after several 3-and-outs, is exposed and ****s up (admittedly, they screw up).

The constant defense of one of the worst QBs in the league seems so ridiculous and I have to wonder about the sanity and knowledge of football fans who can watch this dreck and complain about something other than 4 TD passes in his last 4 games!! with 10 INTs. That's just pathetic as is the excuse making.

26 minutes ago, August said:

Let's use your logic let's say the TD counted. The Jets defense held them to 17 points. Still not bad and most teams would take that in a heartbeat if you told them that their teams defense held the opposing offense on the road to 17 points. 

KC's strategy was to win TOP, which they did.  THey played a possession game.  Smith was 25 for 33.  It's what they wanted to do. 

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Who is "we" and why does one persons perspective mean "this is what we're being told". 

At this point, anyone trying to prove which reason is more of "the reason" is wasting their ******* time. The defense is horrible, and it has consumed far more resources over the past decade. That's a HUGE organizational problem that spans multiple years. Fitz sucks. He benchable, and gone after this year. 

In the grand scheme of things, the defense is the bigger problem, because it's the harder problem to fix. Believe it or not. It's going to require even more resources to mend, which means less resources go to the offensive side of the ball. As usual.... which is what led us to Fitz in the first place.

One hand washes the other. It's not an argument dude, it's a predicament. If you want to campaign with anit-Fitz jargon, just go pop into a different thread... there's a ton of them. You won't be wrong in what you're saying, but you also won't be disruptive to the bigger conversation being had here.

Ah, I see. So when someone posts that the turnovers are no big deal, and that the QB is the least of our worries, no on can disagree? That's being "disruptive"?

Again, I don't disagree that the defense is bad. I disagree with the few posters who think the QB isn't as bad if not worse.

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

Almost as delusional as you thinking the Jets should have one of the best defenses in the league.

Based on player investment and a DC/secondary coach for a HC, it's not an unreasonable expectation.

1. Mo = $17M/yr UFA/franchise player contract in 2016
  2. Sheldon = 1st rd pick #13 overall (still on his rookie deal)
  3. Williams = 1st rd pick #6 overall (still on his rookie deal)
  4. Coples = 1st rd pick (cut midseason last year)
  5. Milliner = 1st rd pick #9 overall (cut just before this season)
  6. Revis = $16M/yr UFA contract in 2015
  7. Cromartie = $7M UFA in 2015. Cut after 1 season.
  8. Skrine = $6.25M/yr UFA in 2015. This is top dollar for a NB
  9. Pryor = 1st rd pick #18 overall (still on rookie deal)
  10. Gilchrist = $5.5M UFA contract in 2015
  11. Lee = 1st rd pick #20 overall
  12. Harris = $7.5M/yr UFA contract in 2015
  13. McLendon = $3.5M/yr UFA contract in 2016
  14. Jarvis Jenkins = $3M/yr UFA contract in 2016
  15. Erin Henderson = $2M/yr UFA contract in 2016
  16. Mauldin = 3rd rd pick in 2015
  17. Jordan Jenkins = 3rd rd pick in 2016
  18. Burris = 4th rd pick in 2016
  19. M.Williams = inherited Hou trash heap pickup from 2014. Has flaws but is cheap and does come down with some picks. RFA in 2017.
  20. HEAD COACH = experienced, successful DB coach and DC hired to be the HC in 2015

Additional note, 2016 UFAs from other teams cancel out would-be 2017 compensatory draft picks (most likely would have been 4th rounder for Snacks, 5th rounder for Ivory, 6th rounder for D.Davis).

This is a ridiculous investment in just one side of the ball. All the totally justified Fitz criticism notwithstanding, the Jets absolutely should have one of the best defenses in the league.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

More coaches = more resources.

Benching players = need players to replace them = more resources.

Fitz is one player. Yes, a QB, but in theory we should be able to put someone on the field that can do better than what he's giving us right now.

The defense, replacing both outside corners (yes, Revis), both safeties, at least one of the OLB, David Harris... I mean, that's a LOT.

I think almost ANY LB on the Jets not playing can cover better than Harris. So, that NO resources.

I don't think the corners need to be replaced. The defenses they call need to be changed so that they aren't exposed. that's NO resources.

I think the argument you make about replacing Fitzpatrick could easily be made for Harris, BTW.

Pretty easy to tell the Geno Fan Club Members these days:

Normal objective people:  Wow, Fitz sucks, he's earned a benching, lets try one of our kid QB's.  Those WR's, they're all hurt so early and too many drops and deflected passes.  The Defense has been generally disappointing and the Pass D is just horrible.  And man, those Special Teams fumbles, come on J.Marsh!  And the Coaches, wtf how about some halftime adjustments or changes or holding people responsible when they play bad, eh??  Hell, even the usually reliable Folk cost us a game this year!  

Geno fans:  It's Fitz.  Just Fitz.  Nothing but Fitz.  People better not try to lay any responsibility on anything or anybody else, it's JUST Fitz.  Fitz, Fitz, Fitz.

Just now, Kevin L said:

Ah, I see. So when someone posts that the turnovers are no big deal, and that the QB is the least of our worries, no on can disagree? That's being "disruptive"?

Again, I don't disagree that the defense is bad. I disagree with the few posters who think the QB isn't as bad if not worse.

I think you're missing the point. He's de-emphasizing the turnovers as a means of providing context for how the bad defensive play is leading to turnover-prone play by our bad QB. He's not saying turnovers don't contribute to the loss, at least I don't take it as such.

And the larger point you're missing is the bold. We're not talking about who is worse, the defense or the QB, we're talking about the scale of each as a problem. To me, it's not really mind-blowing that a career-average QB is having a stretch of horrible play. This is the risk you take with stop-gaps. The disheartening part is that the coach isn't doing anything about it, and the defense which has commanded all of the major investment for years... sucks. 

Fitz is a solvable problem.

Whether we need a new coach? How many players we need to fix this disaster of a defense? That's much more daunting. If this defense is bottoming out, we're looking at hitting reset on rebuild. Again. For the umpteenth time in my lifetime. 

So you'll have to understand when I say, Fitz sucks? Okay, bench him. You can't bench half the defense, nor can you replace it in the offseason.

Just now, Warfish said:

Normal objective people:  Wow, Fitz sucks, he's earned a benching, lets try one of our kid QB's.  Those WR's, they're all hurt so early and too many drops and deflected passes.  The Defense has been generally disappointing and the Pass D is just horrible.  And man, those Special Teams fumbles, come on J.Marsh!  And the Coaches, wtf how about some halftime adjustments or changes or holding people responsible when they play bad, eh??  Hell, even the usually reliable Folk cost us a game this year!  

Geno fans:  It's Fitz.  Just Fitz.  Nothing but Fitz.  People better not try to lay any responsibility on anything or anybody else, it's JUST Fitz.  Fitz, Fitz, Fitz.

Oh please. Talk about your pots calling kettles black.

When Geno Smith was not doing well, it was all about Geno Smith. Hell it still is. They ignored the lack of a decent OL and no credible receiving threats.

I'm a Smith supporter. But, really, I don't care if they go to Petty. But SOMEBODY has to replace Fitzpatrick, who actually HAS weapons and a reasonably well playing OL but has set a franchise record for INTs while not producing ANYTHING in the 4th quarters of games.

Take Smith out of the equation. and you're still left with needing to make a change. That's something Fitzpatrick supporters refuse to acknowledge. They are letting their hatred of Smith throw their reason and credibility out the window.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yea, they turn everything on this site into dogsh*t.

41 minutes ago, August said:

Let's use your logic let's say the TD counted. The Jets defense held them to 17 points. Still not bad and most teams would take that in a heartbeat if you told them that their teams defense held the opposing offense on the road to 17 points. 

Again, they "held them" to 17 points because KC was just playing ball control. Two drives that lasted 25 minutes says we couldn't stop them from moving it. KC just isn't a high scoring offense in general.

17 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I assume you mean the call when a running back loses control of the football as he crosses the goal line.  Yeah, that rule was intended to prevent players from pushing it in intentionally.  VERY lucky break for the Jet D to get that call.

You bet. I get the reason why, but they could give the offense the ball back at the spot of the fumble. Changing possession is idiotic. It's not like we swatted it out or anything. I'm not sure we even got a fingertip on the ball, let alone recover it cleanly.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Take Smith out of the equation. and you're still left with needing to make a change. That's something Fitzpatrick supporters refuse to acknowledge. 

I'm a pretty vocal and well know Fitz supporter, right?

Fitz has played horribly, and earned a benching.  He should have been pulled after INT #4 vs. K.C.

We should try another QB.

That QB is named Petty, as soon as he is healthy.

Sure seems like I "acknowledge" Fitz's shortcomings and failure this year just fine.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again, they "held them" to 17 points because KC was just playing ball control. Two drives that lasted 25 minutes says we couldn't stop them from moving it. KC just isn't a high scoring offense in general.

And they realized that having the Jets offense on the field was the more efficient way to score...

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Whatever. Just trying to have an intelligent conversation...

If that were true, you'd have read what "Fitz supporters" have actually said, and see we're holding him accountable just fine.  Read above if you still have doubts.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If that were true, you'd have read what "Fitz supporters" have actually said, and see we're holding him accountable just fine.  Read above if you still have doubts.

Then we somehow are on the same page. Yet you threw out an insult to Smith fans, why? the only reason I can fathom is that your desire to ensure Smith doesn't play outweighs the desire to have a GOOD QB play for the Jets.

Fitzpatrick needs to go. He sucks. He doesn't have the physical or mental tools to be a starter. Regardless of any other QB, he's the worst and the biggest reason the Jets are 1-3. He's the biggest reason they won the Buffalo game and the biggest reason they lost the Cincy and KC games. I'll give him Co-owner of the Seattle loss, though, IMO, and in the opinion of the poster who detailed his horrible play in a separate thread, he sucked there too.

Again, is he marrying your sister because there really is no defending him at this point.

13 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Oh please. Talk about your pots calling kettles black.

When Geno Smith was not doing well, it was all about Geno Smith. Hell it still is. They ignored the lack of a decent OL and no credible receiving threats.

I'm a Smith supporter. But, really, I don't care if they go to Petty. But SOMEBODY has to replace Fitzpatrick, who actually HAS weapons and a reasonably well playing OL but has set a franchise record for INTs while not producing ANYTHING in the 4th quarters of games.

Take Smith out of the equation. and you're still left with needing to make a change. That's something Fitzpatrick supporters refuse to acknowledge. They are letting their hatred of Smith throw their reason and credibility out the window.

Yea, there's literally NOBODY arguing that Fitz should still be the starter right now. 9 interceptions in 2 weeks, and you dopey Geno supporters are still yelling at the wall to convince someone, anyone that Fitz is terrible... meanwhile... nobody wants to see this sh*t continue.

But, what happens when Geno or any other inexperienced QB gets in the game, and is still averaging 3 turnovers a game... and the defense still sucks... can we move on to that part of the problem?

Or, would you prefer to keep everything talked about here on the baseline of idiocy?

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Then we somehow are on the same page. Yet you threw out an insult to Smith fans, why? the only reason I can fathom is that your desire to ensure Smith doesn't play outweighs the desire to have a GOOD QB play for the Jets.

Fitzpatrick needs to go. He sucks. He doesn't have the physical or mental tools to be a starter. Regardless of any other QB, he's the worst and the biggest reason the Jets are 1-3. He's the biggest reason they won the Buffalo game and the biggest reason they lost the Cincy and KC games. I'll give him Co-owner of the Seattle loss, though, IMO, and in the opinion of the poster who detailed his horrible play in a separate thread, he sucked there too.

Again, is he marrying your sister because there really is no defending him at this point.

Fitz not being good doesn't automatically make Geno good. 

You guys get insulted because your logic stinks, your arguments are bad, and you don't pay attention long enough to actively listen to the people you are flailing around so hard to disagree with.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, there's literally NOBODY arguing that Fitz should still be the starter right now. 9 interceptions in 2 weeks, and you dopey Geno supporters are still yelling at the wall to convince someone, anyone that Fitz is terrible... meanwhile... nobody wants to see this sh*t continue.

But, what happens when Geno or any other inexperienced QB gets in the game, and is still averaging 3 turnovers a game... and the defense still sucks... can we move on to that part of the problem?

Or, would you prefer to keep everything talked about here on the baseline of idiocy?

Who cares? If Hackenburg comes in and plays like Fitzpatrick, at least we MIGHT see a non-back-shoulder pass. At least we MIGHT see a WR led on a throw. At least we won't see the SOJ dink-and-dunk. It's unwatchable football.

Yeah, based on the talent I saw from Smith, I believe he would play better than Fitzpatrick. But I don't know that. I DO know that it would be very hard for him to play worse, to have worse statistics OR to look worse than the Scattergun has looked, both in regards to passing accuracy AND ball security. So, I just want a QB who has the physical skills to get a shot at resurrecting this season before it's lost.

And, really Integrity, why you feel it necessary to insult Smith's fans is beyond me.

I'm not dopey. any more than you are.

And, really, clearly you DO want this to continue. because you reject any possible change.

Don't call me dopey. I'm not your mother.

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

Right, I've been bashing Fitz for months, but I thought he would be Montana.

You can't have it three ways, Kevin. 

You can't say that with Geno Smith as our quarterback we'd be 3-1 with this defense, this coaching staff, this running game, this schedule.  And you can't say we should be better than 1-3 with Ryan Fitzpatrick and that he's somehow disappointing you when you knew he wasn't a good quarterback going in.  And you can't say that we should be better than we are right now unless you had unrealistic expectations because of all the summer hype.

Pick a thesis so we at least know who and what we are debating here.  The moving target is getting tired.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Fitz not being good doesn't automatically make Geno good. 

You guys get insulted because your logic stinks, your arguments are bad, and you don't pay attention long enough to actively listen to the people you are flailing around so hard to disagree with.

I've never said that because Fitz is bad it makes Geno good. I don't know what we have in Smith. I know what I've seen with Fitzpatrick and would like ANYONE to get a shot at making the Jets offense perform better. Right now, the next in line is Smith. So, I want him.

Just now, phill1c said:

Who cares? If Hackenburg comes in and plays like Fitzpatrick, at least we MIGHT see a non-back-shoulder pass. At least we MIGHT see a WR led on a throw. At least we won't see the SOJ dink-and-dunk. It's unwatchable football.

Yeah, based on the talent I saw from Smith, I believe he would play better than Fitzpatrick. But I don't know that. I DO know that it would be very hard for him to play worse, to have worse statistics OR to look worse than the Scattergun has looked, both in regards to passing accuracy AND ball security. So, I just want a QB who has the physical skills to get a shot at resurrecting this season before it's lost.

This is the other reason you get mocked... because NOBODY gives a **** about the hypothetical possibilities of Geno playing are. He played some of the worst football we've ever seen, just like Fitz the past two weeks. 

Not every thread needs to be about Geno and Fitz. Find another. Nobody believes Fitz is playing well. Few people thing Geno can play well. Most people want to see Petty or Hack, because they are queued up as teh only 2 QBs that will be rostered next year, of these 4. Stop beating the horse. Your argument is stupid, thanks for taking a comprehensive discussion about the flaws of this team, and reducing it to the base level intellectually dishonest crap sh*t **** show that we've all had to endure the past 6 month. I'm sure everyone is glad that these points are being covered off on ... again.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

I think it is true that Pennington NEVER led his team back to win or tie a game when the team was down by more than a Td with 20 or fewer minutes left in the game. Never.  Not saying Fitz does that often, but Chadwick is held in high esteem by many Jet fans. 

Btw I see that Seattle so far this year is averaging giving up only 13.5 ppg. 

Chad Pennington and Rex Ryan are the two biggest curses this franchise ever had because they both appeared to be something they weren't.

Chad was supposed to be some 'warrior', Rex some defensive 'genius'.  We got played by both, ruined decades of opportunity for us.

SAR I

Just now, Integrity28 said:

This is the other reason you get mocked... because NOBODY gives a **** about the hypothetical possibilities of Geno playing are. He played some of the worst football we've ever seen, just like Fitz the past two weeks. 

Not every thread needs to be about Geno and Fitz. Find another. Nobody believes Fitz is playing well. Few people thing Geno can play well. Most people want to see Petty or Hack, because they are queued up as teh only 2 QBs that will be rostered next year, of these 4. Stop beating the horse. Your argument is stupid, thanks for taking a comprehensive discussion about the flaws of this team, and reducing it to the base level intellectually dishonest crap sh*t **** show that we've all had to endure the past 6 month. I'm sure everyone is glad that these points are being covered off on ... again.

Geno haters are making it about Fitzpatrick vs. Smith.

I want a change.

But, to be accurate NOBODY who has EVER played QB for the Jets has played as bad as Fitzpatrick has these last few weeks.

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

And, really Integrity, why you feel it necessary to insult Smith's fans is beyond me.

I'm not dopey. any more than you are.

And, really, clearly you DO want this to continue. because you reject any possible change.

Don't call me dopey. I'm not your mother.

Surefire way to get someone not to call you "dopey", insult their mother.

I'll call you what I want.

1 hour ago, August said:

Newsflash teams are going to move the ball and put up points. But when your defense holds a team to 17 points that's not asking for a lot you're pretty much chastising the defense because they're not elite. The defense has done a good enough job for us to win games despite its flaws. God fore bid we ask the 12 million dollar man to make some plays and step up in a one score game. 

Again with the money, August.  Give it a rest.  The money isn't making Fitzpatrick play any better or worse than he has throughout his 12 year career.

I am not particularly chastising the defense or the quarterback because I had 7-9 expectations.  Days like these are sad because so many of you thought we had 12 win talent a few short weeks ago, it's hard to come to grips with your lack of judgement so you try to scapegoat a player (Fitz) and think there is some magic tonic (Geno) that can cure all ills.  News flash, there isn't.

But all that said, the secondary is an embarrassment, there is no way anyone would have accepted this level of performance from this group, to look at our team and not recognize they are Failure #1 on the list of many failures is just asinine.

SAR I

Archived