Contract Expired - The End Of Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

My last time to rationalize with you. You have to understand market prices in the NFL. The Qb is the top paying position and if you have a starting job you're not a bum.. Fitz did not suck in 2015 and that's why the Jets gave him a low starters salary for 2016. He was actually rated in the top half of Qbs in the NFL. He did suck in 2016 and he was cut. 12 mil on a one year contract was a good deal for the Jets. They were not tied to him after 2016 except there is a cap hit due to the way the contract was structured. 

Thank god.  Market pricing is way beyond your abilities.  You love a Fitz, have since day 1 and have been calling a 12 mil loser, waste of 12 mil deserving of 12 mil when no one thinks he returned 12 mil.  That you don't understand that he wasn't worth starting QB market dollars isn't on me. He had one season in 11 with more than 6 wins.  I season in 11.  He never has made the playoffs.  Ever.  You don't get top % money for one season out of 11.  He could habe been offered half and he would have accepted a raise.  

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pure nonsense.  Every single so called expert on NFLN had us in the playoffs. 

You have had the season lost before it started but few thought it was lost, even if they thought we weren't s SB team.   As usually seems to be the case, that tough schedule wasn't all that tough with Seattle, Ravens and the Cards beatable teams.

Not pure nonsense.  I just Googled "2016 Jets season predictions" and Mehta at NY Daily News had us at 9-7, Cimini at ESPN had us at 8-8, USA Today had us at 7-9, CBS NY had us at 7-9, Mike Francesa on WFAN had us at 6-10, Costello at the Post had us at 7-9.  They all had us stepping back because they felt that the schedule was harder and Fitzpatrick couldn't repeat his career year.

Perhaps you shouldn't watch NFL Network.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

More of this nonsense.

Please show me these mythical Ryan Fitzpatrick fans.  You seem to claim that there are a ton of them out there doing damage control.  Name names.  Who are these people?  Who stood up and claimed Ryan Fitzpatrick was the answer to our prayers and going to lead us to a 12-4 season besides joewilly12?  Or is that who you are referring to?

SAR I

This is a global massage board. I do not have to show up those who made frantic posts about the signing of Futz. You can easily do a search or just look at the neg reps within this thread alone.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Give me a quote of players who had disdain for Smith.  You say this all the time, making up as you go along.  When Marshall gushed over Smith it was because he talks up any QB.  Until it's your guy, then it's something different.  It's dick pics, which Marshall wasn't here for.  And never was a problem when Sanchez was caught with his pants down.  Then again, another of your guys.  

Geno performed better than Fitz in his one game before getting injured.  He put up better than Fitz numbers vs the Raiders the year before.  There is absolutely nothing that says he couldn't play like a middle to bottom the league QB like Fitz.  But you'll continue to alternate taking him from a given that's not good into a franchise QB whicher suits your endless string of posts.  I didn't forget how he played in 15, I remember how the only teams he beat either had a losing record or sat a huge chunk of their team.  I didn't forget how with the payoffs there for the taking he shlt the bed in Bufallo.  I remember how at the 14, a FG giving them the lead the idiot tosses a blind pass for and INT costing us the game, a playoff spot. 

We're headed down to Captiva next week.  Let's discuss this in person.  I'll buy the beer.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Not pure nonsense.  I just Googled "2016 Jets season predictions" and Mehta at NY Daily News had us at 9-7, Cimini at ESPN had us at 8-8, USA Today had us at 7-9, CBS NY had us at 7-9, Mike Francesa on WFAN had us at 6-10, Costello at the Post had us at 7-9.  They all had us stepping back because they felt that the schedule was harder and Fitzpatrick couldn't repeat his career year.

SAR I

And I had them at 7-9.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I didn't think he would have a good second season either, but with this franchise, media and fans control the owner, and they would have whined forever if Fitz was not resigned.

We had two choices:

1.  Act like the 10-6 season was a mirage, forget Fitzpatrick, let the kids battle it out, deliberately declare the Jets a non-playoff team before preseason started.

2.  Roll the dice and take the chance that Fitzpatrick could continue to play well and get us that same 10-6 record for a wildcard.

While we would have embraced the concept of handing the keys to Bryce Petty, we had no stomach for Geno Smith.  Clearly Petty wasn't an option last July, so it left Fitzpatrick as the only choice and that's why they did it.  It made sense to take a chance on the guy who just had a record year with the best QB play the Jets have seen since Testaverde '98, but that only happens because Petty and Geno Smith were such brutal options.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Do you think we've seen enough from Petty to call him a dog?  Not saying he's not, but I'm not sure, he inherited a team in chaos, the injuries and the quit level were epic.  I'd like to see he and Hackenberg get a full mini camp, training camp, and preseason schedule with the new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, with the full confidence of the organization and see what we've got in 2017.

SAR I

Geno is better than Petty. He has starters experience and just a few months older than Petty. Time to trade Petty and give him a chance elsewhere. There is no room for him here as the Jets need to start upgrading this position at a reasonable price and develop Hack.

If Macc keeps 4 QB's on the roster again he needs to fired that day

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

Did I say any of these negative media people or NFLN? On what planet does a 9-7 or an 8-8 prediction translate into a lost season?  Why wouldn't those turn into fighting for a playoff spot?  Slater had them at 9-7.  USA had us at 8-8.  Did you get the fat guy from WFAN and SNY who had them in the SB?  Westhoff, Lucas and Cascadden who had them in the Playoffs?  

Fact is few, if any had us sucking anywhere near where we finished, had the season over before it started.  

5 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

This is a global massage board. I do not have to show up those who made frantic posts about the signing of Futz. You can easily do a search or just look at the neg reps within this thread alone.

Let's differentiate here.  There were 3 pockets of fans back in July/August:

1.  Those who wanted Fitzpatrick to get another longshot after a remarkable 10 win season.
2.  Those who wanted Fitzpatrick to get another longshot because they could not stand Geno Smith.
3.  Those who wanted Fitzpatrick gone because they love love loved Geno Smith.

I do not recall:

4.  Diehard Ryan Fitzpatrick Jets fans who wanted the guy because he was such a fantastic player, owned his jersey, used him as iPhone wallpaper.

For millions of Jets fans this past summer, Ryan Fitzpatrick was merely a better option than Geno Smith, nothing more.  You make up this myth that there are millions of closet Ryan Fitzpatrick fans (I laughed as I typed that) who somehow should eat crow, I have no idea why.  Despite how awful last season was, resigning Ryan Fitzpatrick was still the right choice. 

SAR I

In 2016 the NY Jets and Mike Maccagnan made the wrong choice at QB. 

In 2016 a record number of season ticket holder sold out to opposing teams fans. 

In 2016 a record number of opposing teams fans were at almost every home game. 

In 2016 Ryan Fitzpatrick was the worst QB in the NFL. 

The Jets could have started Chritisn Hackenberg in 2016 and the results might have been better or not. 

Mike Maccagnan wasted $12 million dollars we could have used to for other positions.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If he's thrown more TDs than INTs in his career, he doesn't suck. And you can't argue that. 

You don't have to suck and not be a winner. Archie Manning, for example

Ryan Fitzpatrick if he never plays another down in the NFL goes out as a QB who sucked. 

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I mean the reaction everywhere, and this was what I was talking about before, are acting like the Jets won 2 games last year. The reaction to it seems like that.

They won 5 games.

...and had our defense held on to 4th quarter leads, we would have won 3 more (CIN, MIA, NE), we would have gone 8-8 if the team was really trying.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Did I say any of these negative media people or NFLN? On what planet does a 9-7 or an 8-8 prediction translate into a lost season?  Why wouldn't those turn into fighting for a playoff spot?  Slater had them at 9-7.  USA had us at 8-8.  Did you get the fat guy from WFAN and SNY who had them in the SB?  Westhoff, Lucas and Cascadden who had them in the Playoffs?  

Fact is few, if any had us sucking anywhere near where we finished, had the season over before it started.  

You specifically said NFL Network and you specifically said Playoffs.  I can re-post the post if you like.

9-7 and 8-8 aren't playoff records and that's where the majority of the NFL universe had us-  stepping back, no playoffs.  Fitzpatrick was the lesser of three evils for a non-playoff team.  Contract or no contract, money or no money, this wasn't a playoff team.  That's my point.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

You specifically said NFL Network and you specifically said Playoffs.  I can re-post the post if you like.

9-7 and 8-8 aren't playoff records and that's where the majority of the NFL universe had us-  stepping back, no playoffs.  Fitzpatrick was the lesser of three evils for a non-playoff team.  Contract or no contract, money or no money, this wasn't a playoff team.  That's my point.

SAR I

People are reacting to the style and not the substance of last year. Plain and simple. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And you said the season was lost before it started.  Not getting that from 8-8 or 9-7 predictions.  9-7 is a playoff record more times than not, 8-8 says you're in the hunt.  Both far from lost seasons.  

I say it's over, let's just take the beers and move on. 

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let's differentiate here.  There were 3 pockets of fans back in July/August:

1.  Those who wanted Fitzpatrick to get another longshot after a remarkable 10 win season.
2.  Those who wanted Fitzpatrick to get another longshot because they could not stand Geno Smith.
3.  Those who wanted Fitzpatrick gone because they love love loved Geno Smith.

I do not recall:

4.  Diehard Ryan Fitzpatrick Jets fans who wanted the guy because he was such a fantastic player, owned his jersey, used him as iPhone wallpaper.

For millions of Jets fans this past summer, Ryan Fitzpatrick was merely a better option than Geno Smith, nothing more.  You make up this myth that there are millions of closet Ryan Fitzpatrick fans (I laughed as I typed that) who somehow should eat crow, I have no idea why.  Despite how awful last season was, resigning Ryan Fitzpatrick was still the right choice. 

SAR I

You can categorize things to fit your narrative all you desire. The fact is that Futz should have never been signed after May 2016 for ANY amount of money. Macc lost the team and the season right there. Bowles then gave the job to him on PS eve without any work effort. 

Typical of the Jets to do some stupid sh1t like that and for th fans here to fall for that crap. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

People are reacting to the style and not the substance of last year. Plain and simple. 

Can you elaborate?  Are you saying they would have been happier going 5-11 under Geno Smith than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

SAR I

Just now, section314 said:

So, tell me the difference in 5-11 from a style vs substance  perspective. "Can't Wait."

I did in the other thread , but I will do so.

Style: Blowouts, team quitting, late to meetings etc.

Substance: Went 5-11 with no QB, a meh defense statistically and a ton of injuries.

The message is still the same. The team sucked. BUT the level of suckiness is overblown here

Archived