Contract Expired - The End Of Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL lets continue to blame Geno Smith for all the failures here why the hell not. 

The same reason I blame SELL OUT fans who have season tickets and dont attend games but choose to sell them to other teams fans for the sh*tty crowds at Jets games.

You have your opinion and I have mine. 

LOL blaming Geno Smith for the Jets failures the last few years just when you thought you heard it all. 

He's trying to deflect blame away from Fitzpatrick and place it on to Geno. Trolling 101.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear you......

And I agree on many things with you, including but not limited to, the mishandling of Mark Sanchez. 

But while many things of blame rightly can be laid at the feet of Geno Smith, the absolutely horrific play and all around unpreparedness of Ryan Fitzpatrick is not one of them.  

Fitz stunk up the joint and was paid handsomely I might add all on his own this last year. Fitz was awful on his lonesome!!!

IMO Geno using voodoo wouldn't be responsible for what we were subjected to last year from Fitz.  

Very good post, CB, and I want to agree with you, but I look at it this way:

If Geno Smith were more than a below-average quarterback and a below-average human being, Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't see the playing field in 2015 and is nothing more than a clipboard holder in 2016.  The only reason that Ryan Fitzpatrick was allowed to start 1 game let alone 27 is because Geno Smith is a screw-up.  How can he be blameless?

SAR I

1 hour ago, August said:

He's trying to deflect blame away from Fitzpatrick and place it on to Geno. Trolling 101.

First off, there is nothing to blame Ryan Fitzpatrick for.  We got exactly what we bargained for.  He was paid a low $7.6 million dollars to start 27 games and amass a whopping 13-14 record while we figured out who the quarterback of the future will be.

And thanks to Fitzpatrick we had a franchise-lifting 10-5 run in which we won 5 consecutive must-win games in November and December and set the Jets records for touchdowns in a season with 31.  No one expected this, certainly not from a career journeyman on his 6th team in 13 years.  Fitz was the only thing that broke up the disastrous 4 year Geno Smith era and produced something positive.  And if you don't like Fitzpatrick, that's fine, at least be consistent and hate Geno Smith just as much. 

SAR I

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

First off, there is nothing to blame Ryan Fitzpatrick for.  We got exactly what we bargained for.  He was paid a low $7.6 million dollars to start 27 games and amass a whopping 13-14 record while we figured out who the quarterback of the future will be.

And thanks to Fitzpatrick we had a franchise-lifting 10-5 run in which we won 5 consecutive must-win games in November and December and set the Jets records for touchdowns in a season with 31.  No one expected this, certainly not from a career journeyman on his 6th team in 13 years.  Fitz was the only thing that broke up the disastrous 4 year Geno Smith era and produced something positive.  And if you don't like Fitzpatrick, that's fine, at least be consistent and hate Geno Smith just as much. 

SAR I

Hey not blame Geno's OC's for Futz's debacle at QB? Your argument weak bro. Hate Geno ok. Hating him due to Futz; smh

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Hey not blame Geno's OC's for Futz's debacle at QB? Your argument weak bro. Hate Geno ok. Hating him due to Futz; smh

LOL dont waste your time his agenda is always off the wall with everything Jets related hopefully he gets a Ryan Fitzpatrick autographed jersey as his reward this season for being a sellout. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

What did we accomplish with Fitzpatrick? Did we make the playoffs? Did we win a championship? His so called "great" 2015 season produced nothing tangible in the present (2015) and we still don't have a quarterback. And for the record I don't hate Fitzpatrick. I just like pointing out double standards and hypocrisy.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Using all logic:

Was Ryan Fitzpatrick capable of more than a 10-5 record in 2016?

Was Geno Smith capable of winning 1 measly game as a qualified NFL backup in 2016?

And, again, please stop with the money.  Money means nothing.  Jets overpaid Fitzpatrick last year.  So what?  It's not like the $4M could have gone to a player that would have turned a 5-11 record into 11-5.

SAR I

He was capable of 10'wins.  Geno has nothing g to do with it, they both lost games and Geno. Umbers that day were like Fitz on a good day happens.  To blame the tossed into the mix, WC, Raiders, Jets defense having an awful day is stupid. 

Money means everything.  Like it or not there's a cap and his contract cost a blue chip player or a number of good players.  No, it wasn't saving 4 mil, dumping Fitz would have saved 12 mil. 

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno was terrible in 2014. He would not have put up those numbers in 2015. We did not know that the Jets and Fitz would regress in 2016. They were going for the playoffs. And it was logical to go for it with Marshall and other vets who might not have too many good years left.  The Jets made the only reasonable move they could and signed him at a cheap price. Most starting Qb contracts are multi-year and for a lot more money. It didn't work out in 2016 but it wasn't all of Fitz's fault. You do not put a 2 mil dollar budget tag on the Qb position and that's what it would have been with Geno, Petty and Hack. You have cap space and you have to spend it and pay a Qb . And that's why they should sign a good vet Qb this offseason and not fool around like they did last year. 

First of all he was a 2nd year player in 14 with nothing around him.  Why he was being trusted to be the opening day starter in 15.  The 16 season their hands were tied after Fitz won 10.  I know that.   It they didn't have to pay him 12 mil.  They could have held firm at a lower number Fitz had not alternatives.  

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

First of all he was a 2nd year player in 14 with nothing around him.  Why he was being trusted to be the opening day starter in 15.  The 16 season their hands were tied after Fitz won 10.  I know that.   It they didn't have to pay him 12 mil.  They could have held firm at a lower number Fitz had not alternatives.  

Look he waited until the end of July and he wasn't going to sign that 3 year deal. He even stated that recently. But if he had the Jets would be stuck with him for two more seasons and the guaranteed money was 3 mil more. I'll say it again. 12 mil total for a starting Qb coming off of a good season isn't expensive. So what are you going to spend that money on anyways. No team has a 3 million Qb budget. As for Geno  he's available and they can sign him if they wanted to. 

3 hours ago, August said:

What did we accomplish with Fitzpatrick? Did we make the playoffs? Did we win a championship? His so called "great" 2015 season produced nothing tangible in the present (2015) and we still don't have a quarterback. And for the record I don't hate Fitzpatrick. I just like pointing out double standards and hypocrisy.

Fitzpatrick restored the franchise to respectability, we looked like a professional football team for a season, ripped off 5 wins in a row in November and December, beat the Giants and Patriots in successive weeks in overtime, it was a lot of fun.  No 4-12 team goes on to the Super Bowl.  Getting to 10-6 was the ceiling for that team and we achieved it.

There is no double standard because Geno Smith didn't play as well as Ryan Fitzpatrick did.  There is no hypocrisy because Ryan Fitzpatrick played better than Geno Smith ever did.  What's going on here is that there are some crazy Geno Smith lovers who can't face the reality that he's a terrible quarterback and they need Ryan Fitzpatrick as a punching bag to make themselves feel better.  Bizarre.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

The money doesn't matter.  If you want to talk about financial waste, let's talk Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Muhammed Wilkerson, or a host of other Jets who didn't earn what they were paid.  And, again, if Fitz was overpaid by $5M or so, there was no QB or skill player out there who would have taken our $5M and gotten us from 5-11 to 11-5 so there is no point of bringing up the money.  The whole team didn't earn their pay.  Picking only on Fitzpatrick is silly, he was not even one of the 10 Jets that hurt us the most this past season.

As for why we had to sign Fitzpatrick in 2016 at all is directly a result of how bad Geno Smith was.  He simply wasn't an option.  So it boiled down to Petty or Fitzpatrick and Fitzpatrick was the only option.

SAR I

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Look he waited until the end of July and he wasn't going to sign that 3 year deal. He even stated that recently. But if he had the Jets would be stuck with him for two more seasons and the guaranteed money was 3 mil more. I'll say it again. 12 mil total for a starting Qb coming off of a good season isn't expensive. So what are you going to spend that money on anyways. No team has a 3 million Qb budget. As for Geno  he's available and they can sign him if they wanted to. 

And I'll say it again, 12 mil is too much if that QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He's not a bankable starter.  He was way overpaid.  

No matter how many times you say he wasnt

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

The money doesn't matter.  If you want to talk about financial waste, let's talk Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Muhammed Wilkerson, or a host of other Jets who didn't earn what they were paid.  And, again, if Fitz was overpaid by $5M or so, there was no QB or skill player out there who would have taken our $5M and gotten us from 5-11 to 11-5 so there is no point of bringing up the money.  The whole team didn't earn their pay.  Picking only on Fitzpatrick is silly, he was not even one of the 10 Jets that hurt us the most this past season.

As for why we had to sign Fitzpatrick in 2016 at all is directly a result of how bad Geno Smith was.  He simply wasn't an option.  So it boiled down to Petty or Fitzpatrick and Fitzpatrick was the only option.

SAR I

Of course it matters.  It's why you keep saying it doesn't.  It's why you have no problem telling us that the guys who's past determined he should get top CB is the one you're targeting as if Fitz and his career are comperable, even though their pay scale was.  To say we wouldnt have made the playoffs with the 5 mil banked well I'm saying we might not have made the playoffs if we saved the entire 12 mil and had a couple of players moving forward.

Fitz played in 16 because of how he played in 15.  Had nothing to do with Geno.  And he was an option, it's why they took so long to sign your guy. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And I'll say it again, 12 mil is too much if that QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He's not a bankable starter.  He was way overpaid.  

No matter how many times you say he wasnt

Off of 2015 it was a good deal for the Jets. Because you're talking only one season and 12 mil total. He was the lowest paid starter in the NFL except for guys on rookie deals and RG3. If they had given him a 3-36 then I'd agree with you. The Jets did not want to be in a position where if he had a good year in 2016 and the Jets went to the playoffs they would have to give him a starters multi-year deal; So they offered him the low ball 2nd and 3rd years at 6 mil per. He bet on himself, turned it down and lost. His current market value is probably under 6 mil per Ok his week 17 performance hurt him financially. But the Jets had no idea he would be throwing picks like they were something out of a t-shirt toss. My complaint about that deal wasn't the 12 mil. It was not signing him to it earlier so he could go into camp and the team practice with the player the Jets wanted to be their starting Qb. If they didn't think he was worth the 12 mil then they should have gone in a different direction. And not basically disrupted the team and players esp after a good season. Look we had this argument a year ago and for the entire summer so neither one of us is going to change opinions. But at least we're being civil about it. And agree that Fitz had to go. I'm all for signing TT if available. I think we could win at least 8 games with him and maybe go back to 10.

Of course it matters.  It's why you keep saying it doesn't.  It's why you have no problem telling us that the guys who's past determined he should get top CB is the one you're targeting as if Fitz and his career are comperable, even though their pay scale was.  To say we wouldnt have made the playoffs with the 5 mil banked well I'm saying we might not have made the playoffs if we saved the entire 12 mil and had a couple of players moving forward.

Fitz played in 16 because of how he played in 15.  Had nothing to do with Geno.  And he was an option, it's why they took so long to sign your guy. 

Speaking on behalf of millions of Jets fans, a year ago there were only two options:

1. Resign Fitzpatrick and go for the playoffs
2. Start Petty and see if we have a franchise caliber quarterback prospect

Jets fans were good either way.  Some wanted the 10-5 Fitzpatrick to get us to 12-4.  Some wanted the unknown Petty to get us to 8-8.  I didn't have a care either way, I trusted the Jets to pick the QB path they thought was best after they made all the right decisions the year before.  I predicted that with our schedule we'd be hard pressed to eke out 6-10 no matter who the quarterback was.

Geno Smith didn't factor into the conversation.  Considering Fitzpatrick '15 played better than any Jets quarterback since Testaverde '98 there was very little chance they wouldn't resign him.  Only if behind the scenes Petty looked fantastic and the Jets FO knew it and we didn't would there have been a chance they'd say goodbye to Fitzpatrick.  None of this has anything to do with money.  NFL teams routinely overpay rookies, veterans, pricey free agents, and bust quarterbacks all the time, it's a routine risk.

SAR I

Fitz played in 16 because of how he played in 15.  Had nothing to do with Geno.

So if Geno had played well in 2013 and 2014, and not gotten himself beat up by his own player before 2015, Fitz still starts in 2015 and 2016?

Yeah, nope.  Of course Fitz playing (at all) had to do with Geno, and Geno's massive failure here.  You don't play your backup if your starter is better, healthy, not a moron.  

But once again, does this matter now?  They're both gone (despite the lamentations of a select few Geno lovers here who want him resigned).  

Gone.  As in, not playing here again.

They both failed.  They both ruined seasons here.  Everyone was wrong except for the few who wanted both gone and took no side.

We will have new QB's in 2017, **** sake, why not talk about THAT instead of rehashing years of debate pissing and moaning over which side was ever so slightly less wrong about how how sh*tty their favored QB was?

Damn, JN needs a faceplam smiley, serious Max.  

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So if Geno had played well in 2013 and 2014, and not gotten himself beat up by his own player before 2015, Fitz still starts in 2015 and 2016?

Yeah, nope.  Of course Fitz playing (at all) had to do with Geno, and Geno's massive failure here.  You don't play your backup if your starter is better, healthy, not a moron.  

But once again, does this matter now?  They're both gone (despite the lamentations of a select few Geno lovers here who want him resigned).  

Gone.  As in, not playing here again.

They both failed.  They both ruined seasons here.  Everyone was wrong except for the few who wanted both gone and took no side.

We will have new QB's in 2017, **** sake, why not talk about THAT instead of rehashing years of debate pissing and moaning over which side was ever so slightly less wrong about how how sh*tty their favored QB was?

Damn, JN needs a faceplam smiley, serious Max.  

Image result for facepalm gifs

Look last year I would have gone with Geno over Petty as starter but Fitz over either of them. To me that was a no-brainer after he had a good season. As for 2017 I don't go with Petty as anything other than no. 2. And that is debatable. If we do draft a guy like Watson then he's the starter from day 1. And then I sign a guy like McCown. But I'd prefer signing a TT if available. I think he's pretty good and the Bills would be crazy to cut him. 

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Fitzpatrick restored the franchise to respectability, we looked like a professional football team for a season, ripped off 5 wins in a row in November and December, beat the Giants and Patriots in successive weeks in overtime, it was a lot of fun.  No 4-12 team goes on to the Super Bowl.  Getting to 10-6 was the ceiling for that team and we achieved it.

There is no double standard because Geno Smith didn't play as well as Ryan Fitzpatrick did.  There is no hypocrisy because Ryan Fitzpatrick played better than Geno Smith ever did.  What's going on here is that there are some crazy Geno Smith lovers who can't face the reality that he's a terrible quarterback and they need Ryan Fitzpatrick as a punching bag to make themselves feel better.  Bizarre.

SAR I

Respectability? Long term where did any of this get us? Who gives a sh*t about his "great" season when it didn't do anything for this team in terms of winning anything meaningful. 

Just now, August said:

Respectability? Long term where did any of this get us? Who gives a sh*t about his "great" season when it didn't do anything for this team in terms of winning anything meaningful. 

Exactly but there are fans that continue to live off the Fitzpatrick glory days that never were here because they are reaching to degrade Geno Smith its all they got. Fitzpatrick failed here miserably and many supported Fitzpatrick and now they are in image and damage control mode. Fitzpatrick is costing us $5 million in cap space in 2017 thanks to Mike Maccagnan  not Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick led the NFL in INT's no blame on Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick choked when we needed him most no blame on Geno Smith. Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles are responsible for everything thats wrong with the NY Jets not Geno Smith. 

13 minutes ago, August said:

1.  No one is saying that 2015 was some amazing moment in Jets history but it was a hell of a lot more fun going 10-6 than watching Geno Smith go 4-12 again.

2.  Long term, the 2015 season proved just how bad a quarterback Geno Smith is which empowered Mike Maccagnan to draft Christinan Hackenberg who may turn out to be very good.

In layman's terms, the best thing about the Fitzpatrick era is that it ended the Geno error.

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatrick may be gone but his  legacy lives on through fans who just don't get it and never will.

There was a reason he was with 6 teams in 12 years in the NFL. 

Theres a reason 31 other NFL teams just said no. 

2017 cap space minus $5 million thanks to Ryan Fitzpatrick.

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly but there are fans that continue to live off the Fitzpatrick glory days that never were here because they are reaching to degrade Geno Smith its all they got. Fitzpatrick failed here miserably and many supported Fitzpatrick and now they are in image and damage control mode. Fitzpatrick is costing us $5 million in cap space in 2017 thanks to Mike Maccagnan  not Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick led the NFL in INT's no blame on Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick choked when we needed him most no blame on Geno Smith. Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles are responsible for everything thats wrong with the NY Jets not Geno Smith. 

It is funny how much rep damage control is on play here. Geno lost his job due to a broken jaw that happened off the field. No mention of his two years of throwing to sub standard NFL WR's. With different FO's, and. COaching staffs after starting as a day one rookie with little PS play due to injury.

No way in hell should Futz have been signed after May. I just don't understand how any blame could be placed on Smith for that. Furthermore, Smith is STILL a better option than Petty for reasons that I have named in this thread. 

The Jets should be in the game to get better. That means keeping the better players or upgrading to better players from the previous season. No way is Petty an upgrade over Geno. The Jets QB situation is an abomination. Signing a QB from another roster for a huge amount of money is not an answer IMO.

2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

It is funny how much rep damage control is on play here. Geno lost his job due to a broken jaw that happened off the field. No mention of his two years of throwing to sub standard NFL WR's. With different FO's, and. Packing staffs after starting as a day one rookie with little PS play due to injury.

No way in hell should Futz have been signed after May. I just don't understand how any blame could be placed on Smith for that. Furthermore, Smith is STILL a better option than Petty for reasons that I have named in this thread. 

The Jets should be in the game to get better. That means keeping the better players or upgrading to better players from the previous season. No way is Petty an upgrade over Geno. The Jets QB situation is an abomination. Signing a QB from another roster for a huge amount of money is not an answer IMO.

If we dont draft Watson or have the opportunity to sign Cousins or Taylor Geno Smith is the best option in my opinion he is better than Bryce Petty and Hackenberg the mystery man. 

17 minutes ago, August said:

Perfectly stated.  Teams like Indiana get to go to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl. If they win, they get respectability and can say they had a great year. However, if they could manage to beat Ohio State and Michigan, they would go the Rose Bowl, and have a shot at something that actually is important.  That's Fitz in a nutshell, he got us to 10-6, hooray! But the game he had to win, choked. If you want the Weed Eater bowl, Fitz is your guy. If you want to really win, he's a piece of sh*t. 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Perfectly stated.  Teams like Indiana get to go to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl. If they win, they get respectability and can say they had a great year. However, if they could manage to beat Ohio State and Michigan, they would go the Rose Bowl, and have a shot at something that actually is important.  That's Fitz in a nutshell, he got us to 10-6, hooray! But the game he had to win, choked. If you want the Weed Eater bowl, Fitz is your guy. If you want to really win, he's a piece of sh*t. 

Well put 314 sadly there are fans who are ok settling for a participation award. 

5 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

It is funny how much rep damage control is on play here. Geno lost his job due to a broken jaw that happened off the field. No mention of his two years of throwing to sub standard NFL WR's. With different FO's, and. COaching staffs after starting as a day one rookie with little PS play due to injury.

Geno Smith is not an option.  The players and the fans will not tolerate it.

Hackenberg, Petty, another draftee, and a veteran free agent will compete for the starting job this summer.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Stop it.  No one is happy with Ryan Fitzpatrick's performance in 2015 as it didn't end in the playoffs.

Compared to watching Geno Smith however, it was a lot of fun.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If we dont draft Watson or have the opportunity to sign Cousins or Taylor Geno Smith is the best option in my opinion he is better than Bryce Petty and Hackenberg the mystery man. 

I really doubt Buff releases TT. Drafting a QB in round 1 means that the Jets do not get an impact player early on. Impact players are really in need on this team. The best options on the FA beat for the Jets are Smith and Kaepernick. Signing the both is an upgrade from last season.

Both can come at a reasonable value. Have them battle it out for the starting position over the summer. Cut/trade Petty so Hack can get the reps that Futz stole when he signed last season. This draft has to be a huge hit for Macc

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The best options on the FA beat for the Jets are Smith and Kaepernick. Signing the both is an upgrade from last season.

LOL.  Where is that JN facepalm smiley when you need it.

If you want an empty stadium and picket lines, the Geno/Kaepernick combo is a great option.  A cheapskate sexual harrasser and an unpatriotic racist.  Fabulous.

SAR I

Archived