I hope the Jets don't run away from the bumper crop again.

Lil Woody

17 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Just like in 2014 when there was a bumper crop of WRs, this class has a terrific group of OLB/Edge rushers, TEs, RBs and CBs.  If we try to get cute again like we did in 14 and go against the grain and miss out on a lot of very solid talent again to try to get the best players available at their positions in a weak class for them I'm gonna be pissed.  Especially when our biggest needs are again in line with the strength of the draft - OLB, TE and CB.

Beyond QBs (which we should ignore during this class entirely imo) OLB is the biggest need. This team needs an edge rusher in the worst way and we have consistently left the position undermanned for years, throwing FA jags at it or waiting until later in the draft to secure talent. After QB, OLB needs to be priority number one. DBs can be average and you can still win with them. In fact the way the refs call the games with the idea to keep it close and make the end of the game exciting, any advantage you have by fielding a great DB corps gets washed away as soon as you have a lead and try to protect it through coverage.  What destroys other teams offenses at the end of games is a pass rush. If you don't have one, you could have 5 all pros back there and the opposing offense will still be allowed to push the ball down the field in 40 seconds or less. This is a great class to secure edge rushers. In fact I hope we get 2.

The other thing is this class has a good deal of solid CBs, but imo there are not a lot of exceptional ones. Outstanding depth, but looks like no elites.  It's looking like a "#2 CB" bumper crop if that is a thing. And that's still a major position where you can't afford a hole, but it shouldn't be overvalued (as we saw in our 1st round run on CBs in our mock). Wait till rd 2 or 3 to look at CBs. That's the place where there will be real value. I wouldn't rank anyone besides Lattimore or Sidney Jones (pre-injury) in the 1st round. Maybe Humphrey too. But in the 2nd, the rest of those players start to make much more sense.

TE is the other piece we should emphasize. We haven't had one worth mentioning in a long time and the NFL is a matchup league.  We need to come away with one of these guys in the top 3 rounds. If we get a second one who has an all around game later on, like Jeremy Sprinkle, all the better.

Very good RB class too but I don't think we need to worry about RBs at all this year. If we don't get one...who cares? It's the easiest position to secure talent in any draft.  Plus we aren't looking to try to win this year anyway. Let Forte end 2017 with zero tread left on the tires. 

I agree but I wouldn't mind a qb in the 3rd or 4th just in case... its worth it to take a shot on Maholmes or Peterman in the 3rd or 4th... People will laugh and say Maholmes/ Peterman won't last till then, but that's what people say every year... 

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Some of the ranking criteria for WRs they use is on the absurd side, IMO. It almost looks like they are fabricating a silly set of data points to corroborate their opinions.   Whatever. There will always be oddballs, outliers, and just general ridiculousness in the NFL Draft rankings game. Williams will be way better then their prediction.  I actually like Corey Davis a little better and Ross has bad knees, so I would avoid.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

When you're a huge wide receiver with great ball skills and a wide catch radius separation isn't as important, honestly. Williams will be good, but I'm not sure he's the pick at 6.

Yeah, I think when a guy is as gifted as Williams it breeds a little laziness on route running.

From Julio Jones draft profile under weaknesses:

"Was able to consistently separate in college but still developing as a route-runner. Needs to do a better job setting up defenders and getting out of breaks. Willing to go over the middle but needs to show more consistency catching in traffic."

Personally, I think Corey Davis is the more sure thing at wr while Williams has more pure skill. I'd be thrilled if we drafted either.

While this is a pretty good wr class, there is a big drop off from Davis/Williams and the field when it comes to pure talent. (Ross is more of a gimmick wr to me who will be a pro bowler but as a midget wr, he wouldn't be a guy I'd draft for this team). 

I'm also a big fan of Zay Jones but he isn't as naturally gifted as Williams and Davis so his upside is Keenan Allen while Davis and Williams could become the next Julio/green type.

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

When you're a huge wide receiver with great ball skills and a wide catch radius separation isn't as important, honestly. Williams will be good, but I'm not sure he's the pick at 6.

He's the only non-QB that I'd be fine with at #6.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Part of the knock on Williams is his lack of TDS. But when you have a QB that runs for 21 TDS the last two years you understand why Williams lost out on more jump ball chances in the red zone.

If Williams were a better player, maybe they would have schemed more of those 21 TDs for him.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

If Williams were a better player, maybe they would have schemed more of those 21 TDs for him.

Lmao, Williams had 11 TDS last year, Julio Jones had 15 in three years at bama.

College teams with mobile qbs or great running games will always prefer to run it in 

Archived