The overtime and replay rule changes....

Beerfish

Any time the NFL decides to tinker more with rules I wince knowing they will fug it up.  (The rules of this game is what is killing it as much if not more than anything.)

Shortening overtime to 10 minutes.  Why?  An extra 5 minutes or whatever is going to make the biog different on the Thursday night games?  Net result?  An increase in tie games.  Three years from now the NFL will be looking at how to decrease tie games, mark my words.

All reviews done from a central location by Blandino and a few others.  Reason?  To shorten the reviews.  TERRIBLE idea, they did this in the CFL and the guy they chose to do the reviews was incompetent and terrible.  I view this Blandino guy as terrible, be prepared for way more head scratching mind blowing reviews that 99% of the world think should go one way and the 1% makes the ruling and then proceeds to tell us all why the ruling is correct.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Any time the NFL decides to tinker more with rules I wince knowing they will fug it up.  (The rules of this game is what is killing it as much if not more than anything.)

Shortening overtime to 10 minutes.  Why?  An extra 5 minutes or whatever is going to make the biog different on the Thursday night games?  Net result?  An increase in tie games.  Three years from now the NFL will be looking at how to decrease tie games, mark my words.

All reviews done from a central location by Blandino and a few others.  Reason?  To shorten the reviews.  TERRIBLE idea, they did this in the CFL and the guy they chose to do the reviews was incompetent and terrible.  I view this Blandino guy as terrible, be prepared for way more head scratching mind blowing reviews that 99% of the world think should go one way and the 1% makes the ruling and then proceeds to tell us all why the ruling is correct.

wait.  Have they actually decided officially to reduce OT to 10 minutes?  Don't know how I missed that.  Freaking stupid.  

I hadn't heard about the overtime change, that's definitely idiotic.

As a matter of pure principal I can actually understand the concept of centralizing reviews, but of course that's dependent on the crew being competent at their jobs.  But it's not a bad idea for things to actually be standardized in the NFL.  The excessively vast differences in officiating that exists throughout the NFL is laughably bad, so at least there should be a bit more consistency in what can often be game-deciding plays, and teams will start to get a better idea of how this group tends to rule things.  These days you have one set of officials who will overturn a simple call that has everyone, including the announcers, completely baffled as to why, while others will uphold everything, no matter how ridiculously absurd, because they refuse to change their minds on anything.  We know the officiating is, and has been, awful for years... at least consistently awful is some degree of progress.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Using a central location for replays opens the door to conspiracy theories to anyone other than a degenerate gambler just how?  Fans will see. Different replay of a contested replay if they use a separate location?  Where are all the conspiracy accusations coming out of baseball, hockey etc?  You would think that you go into it thinking they're just as competent as a ref on the field, not having to overturn his own call.  You also should get some semblance of consistency.  

While we're at I don't know a single fan who was so pissed at much bigger changes that they stopped watching football ? if they're actual fans. 

Archived