Change to roster cut down?

Maxman

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Saw this as well: 

.@NFL owners have passed a resolution allowing two players to return off Injured Reserve, source says. Used to be just one.

I like this a lot. 

I don;t like that change at all and neither should the players if you ask me.  Instead of guys getting cut early and then having a chance to latch on to another team or explore things in a place like the CFL these guys will be held till the end of cut down day.

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I like this a lot. 

Why?

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don;t like that change at all and neither should the players if you ask me.  Instead of guys getting cut early and then having a chance to latch on to another team or explore things in a place like the CFL these guys will be held till the end of cut down day.

+1

It gets rid of another spot where teams are forced to sh*t or get off the pot.  It is a time where teams may trade a guy for conditional picks when they know they have to make cuts.  Unlike final cut downs these guys may actually be ready to play opening day.  Oh well. 

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why?

+1

It gets rid of another spot where teams are forced to sh*t or get off the pot.  It is a time where teams may trade a guy for conditional picks when they know they have to make cuts.  Unlike final cut downs these guys may actually be ready to play opening day.  Oh well. 

Because it is one less blog post I have to write during camp lol.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

On the other side of the coin, it gives a better opportunity for guys on the cusp of making the roster to prove that they deserve it, and the coaches more time to evaluate said players as to whether or not they deserve a spot. It also allows for those same guys that would otherwise be cut to take a newly injured players spot. That kind of thing. If you are pretty much guaranteed to be cut, then yes, that sucks. If you believe you have a solid chance to make the team but haven't performed at your top level yet- or gotten the reps to showcase your talent- this helps you- a lot. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

cancel the mini draft...

Teams can still cut guys sooner if they want to, no? The change gives players one last crack to stay where they're at so it's not a complete bone job.

On the other hand, for an extra week or so that player's eggs are in one team's basket as opposed to 32 potential takers.

Archived