Charone Peake

JetBlue

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

okay, maybe right in his hands was a little overreach.  how about catchable?  the guy is supposed to be an all pro.  most of his passes were catchable.

Nope. Bad as his season was, he didn't drop or muff or laze his way out of catching another 70 passes. Not even close.

On 6/13/2017 at 3:23 PM, flgreen said:

Well, the new guys are  3rd and 4th round draft picks.  Both will be expected to contribute this year.  if Peake makes the roster, cool.  if he contributes, it will be a surprise.  7th round picks have a high mortality rate in the NFL if two guys are selected at their position in the following draft in the 3,and 4th round.  

It's possible he'll make the team because the Jets released their #1 and #2 WR's.

He was projected to go as high as the 4th round but injuries scared teams away.  I see no reason why he shouldn't make the roster along with the rooks. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nope. Bad as his season was, he didn't drop or muff or laze his way out of catching another 70 passes. Not even close.

he caught 59 and was targeted 128 times for a catch rate of 46%.  his career average is about 60% or nearly 25% greater.  So you are right in that he wouldn't have caught 70 more balls (no receiver is 100%) but he should've caught about 12 more. add those 12 passes to fitz's 228 and you get 240/403 for the season.  that's nearly 60%pass completion rate.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

He was projected to go as high as the 4th round but injuries scared teams away.  I see no reason why he shouldn't make the roster along with the rooks. 

He will.  It's Marshall who's in danger.  Marshall is small and slow, so he can only play the slot.  Peake can play anywhere.  So can Stewart.  Stewart can also handle PR and KR duties.  Therefore Marshall is screwed unless one of these guys gets hurt.

11 hours ago, rangerous said:

he caught 59 and was targeted 128 times for a catch rate of 46%.  his career average is about 60% or nearly 25% greater.  So you are right in that he wouldn't have caught 70 more balls (no receiver is 100%) but he should've caught about 12 more. add those 12 passes to fitz's 228 and you get 240/403 for the season.  that's nearly 60%pass completion rate.

Put aside that I don't trust your numbers because you're just making it up and blindly assuming them, like you did twice before in this thread. 

Why do you add them all to Fitz (who padded his stats vs a Buffalo team that basically tanked that final, no-pressure, game)? Marshall's worst games came with Petty QBing, not Fitz. And nearly 60% means still under 60%, which still sucks unless it's offset by dozens of TDs and/or a healthy ratio.

Of course you'd have to do the same for his peers as well, or do you just want to allow other QBs' drops to stand while erasing only those that affected the Jets, and then perform a lopsided completion percentage comparison in which he still falls short? The league leader in drops was Crabtree not Marshall, and many had a higher drop percentage than Marshall. Then I suppose you don't want to subtract the awful passes he did make a play on, that many/most WRs wouldn't or couldn't.

But those are just stats, which don't account for game-situational suckiness: the proportion of drives inside/around the 10 that died, saving his crappiness for 3rd downs so we lose possession, poor ball placement, taking inopportune sacks, fumbling, throwing to the wrong receiver even if it's technically completed, etc.

It's enough to say Marshall had a dog**** season without trying to parlay that into a rationalization that our QBs didn't really have dog**** seasons themselves. 

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Put aside that I don't trust your numbers because you're just making it up and blindly assuming them, like you did twice before in this thread. 

Why do you add them all to Fitz (who padded his stats vs a Buffalo team that basically tanked that final, no-pressure, game)? Marshall's worst games came with Petty QBing, not Fitz. And nearly 60% means still under 60%, which still sucks unless it's offset by dozens of TDs and/or a healthy ratio.

Of course you'd have to do the same for his peers as well, or do you just want to allow other QBs' drops to stand while erasing only those that affected the Jets, and then perform a lopsided completion percentage comparison in which he still falls short? The league leader in drops was Crabtree not Marshall, and many had a higher drop percentage than Marshall. Then I suppose you don't want to subtract the awful passes he did make a play on, that many/most WRs wouldn't or couldn't.

But those are just stats, which don't account for game-situational suckiness: the proportion of drives inside/around the 10 that died, saving his crappiness for 3rd downs so we lose possession, poor ball placement, taking inopportune sacks, fumbling, throwing to the wrong receiver even if it's technically completed, etc.

It's enough to say Marshall had a dog**** season without trying to parlay that into a rationalization that our QBs didn't really have dog**** seasons themselves. 

the numbers are right.  go look them up yourself at pro football reference. if you think they're wrong it's probably because you didn't realize fitz was approaching a 60% pass completion ratio. understandable given the way the season played out.  the reason why i attributed the additional receptions to fitz is because my perception is that petty threw more to anderson and enunwa.  fitz seemed to mainly throw to marshall.  also it's esy to forget that fitz started or played in 11 or 12 games.  it also seems to me that fitz has taken way too much heat for the jets failings last season. the whole team underperformed not just one player.  and why does marshall get fingered? because he took it upon himself to stir things up with the media.  sure it sounded like he was saying the right things but obviously he wasn't a real good spokesman for the team.

and don't get me wrong, i liked marshall's play and thought he was at least one player who scared the opposition.  it would've been nice if he stayed.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the numbers are right.  go look them up yourself at pro football reference. if you think they're wrong it's probably because you didn't realize fitz was approaching a 60% pass completion ratio. understandable given the way the season played out.  the reason why i attributed the additional receptions to fitz is because my perception is that petty threw more to anderson and enunwa.  fitz seemed to mainly throw to marshall.  also it's esy to forget that fitz started or played in 11 or 12 games.  it also seems to me that fitz has taken way too much heat for the jets failings last season. the whole team underperformed not just one player.  and why does marshall get fingered? because he took it upon himself to stir things up with the media.  sure it sounded like he was saying the right things but obviously he wasn't a real good spokesman for the team.

and don't get me wrong, i liked marshall's play and thought he was at least one player who scared the opposition.  it would've been nice if he stayed.

Those picks to the other teams helped Futz' pct also. That guy set the development of the WR's back. I hope we do not get a repeat this season

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

No I mean I don't trust your numbers as to how many would-be passes Marshall dropped, in addition to the ones officially recorded. My reason is you'd already claimed most of the 69 incompletions to Marshall were right in his hands, so I think you're just flinging mud against the wall.

I agree he wasn't all bad, no matter how bad of a taste he left in the mouths of fans - and at least one teammate - after his 2016 season. He certainly saved some would-be incompletions as well, and Fitzpatrick/Petty benefitted from those, even if he hurt them with drops or quitting on routes on others.

Archived