Jets hope Darrelle Revis protégé can take next step forward

Marshmello

Keeping it positive.     ::GoJets:

Jets hope Darrelle Revis protégé can take next step forward

Juston BurrisBill Kostroun

The 2016 version of Darrelle Revis wasn’t even a shell of his legendary self, as ineffective as he once was dominant. But some good came out of his presence with last year’s Jets, amid all the missed tackles and touchdowns yielded.

Just ask Juston Burris, the team’s promising young cornerback.

“He was a great mentor to have,” Burris said Wednesday after practice.

Ironically, the team’s refusal to bench Revis, cut in the offseason, was one reason Burris spent so much time on the sideline. And, yet, Burris spoke in reverential terms about the team’s former cornerback, about how much Revis helped him his rookie year. He makes sure to study film of Revis’ early years even now, and they have remained in contact.

“Every day he was telling me something — how I should be watching film, how I should be playing press [coverage], playing this route. Little small things, here and there, he would help me out with,” Burris said. “Some guys come into the league and they don’t have a veteran presence, a guy to look up to. I had a guy who’s been in the league 10 years, who’s played to the level that I want to play at, who’s been to where I want to be — he’s been a Super Bowl champion, been to the Pro Bowl, he’s been an All-Pro.

“That’s where I want to be. To have somebody like that in your corner, to have somebody like that to look up to, it’s great to have.”

The Jets are hoping Burris — a big, physical cornerback at 6-foot and 212 pounds — can use some of what Revis taught him last year. On the team’s official depth chart, Burris is listed as Buster Skrine’s backup, but he really is battling Darryl Roberts and Marcus Williams for the No. 2 spot, because Skrine frequently will play in the slot.

“I didn’t see too much of him last year, but seeing him this year and from when I first got here to now, he’s one of those guys, he’s got the skill set to play and be a great NFL cornerback,” said new teammate Morris Claiborne, the Jets’ top cornerback.

Modal Triggerburris-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=235&
Juston BurrisBill Kostroun

The team’s fourth-round pick in the 2016 draft out of N.C. State, Burris was used mostly on special teams a year ago while working on fundamentals, until getting extended playing time late in the year and showing flashes of promise.

“I always thought I could play in this league. I think last year was the icing on the cake,” he said. “Before I thought I could. Now I know I can.”

Defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers is convinced. He admitted that not getting Burris on the field enough was a mistake, saying in the spring he “probably should have played more.”

But Burris doesn’t see it that way.

“I don’t think I did what I needed to do to get that playing time last year,” he said. “If I did, I would’ve been playing. It’s not on [Rodgers], it’s on me. I need to give him that confidence to put me in there, keep me in there, and I’m going to do that.”

That is his goal this summer, to give the coaching staff no choice but to put him on the field. His first big opportunity comes when the Jets open their preseason Saturday night at MetLife Stadium against the Titans.

For all the depressing talk about the Jets tanking this season, there is one area of excitement about the team, the new-look secondary. It mostly is centered on rookie safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, the team’s first- and second-round picks, respectively. The secondary was a weak spot a year ago, frequently beat for long touchdowns. Burris sees himself as part of that young group moving forward.

“We have a strong future here, especially in the [defensive backs] room. We have a lot of young guys, a lot of hungry guys, a lot of guys who haven’t really made a name for themselves yet but are trying to,” Burris said. “We’re trying to show guys who we are, that we’re a great DB group. By the end of the season, I think we’ll show people that are looking down on us that we’re here.”

FILED UNDER DARRELLE REVIS  JUSTON BURRIS

I hope Burris turns into a stud, but he's not the type of athlete that Revis was, thus it doesn't translate as well to emulate his game.  Sort of like having Lebron teaching you how to dunk.

What made Revis great was that he had a rare combination of strength to go with elite speed.  Usually, the fast guys aren't strong enough to manhandle folks in press cover, and the strong guys aren't fast enough to recover if a guy gets by him.  Revis had 4.3 speed, which meant that against most folks, he could afford to take a physical approach because if he missed, he had the speed to recover.  Burris ran a 4.5, and faster receivers are going to burn him.  I think the perfect example is the interception he got against the Dolphins last year.  Devonte Parker absolutely toasted Burris, but Moore was under pressure and lobbed up the ball, which allowed Burris to get back in the play as Parker had to all but stop his route.  

On the other hand, it's great to hear that he's learning about how to read plays, study film, etc.  I think he can have a bright future, especially if he gets the technical aspects down.  I just don't think he needs to emulate Revis, because the skill sets are different.  

Speed is Burris's biggest issue, it'll keep him from being the kind to cover the speed demons some team's have at WR. But he's clearly humble with a good work ethic, good measurable and showed potential at times.

I think he'll prove to be an able starting CB, but only a complimentary one- a "number 2" if you will. I hate assigning numbers to positions with two starters but lets face it he's only ever gonna be a good Robin to somebody else's Batman.

Archived