Deep Thoughts

Jetster

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If the Dolphins fans are supposed to be afraid of them, you don't think they should cost?  Claiborne or his replacement are not going to be cheap.  

What you said about Dozier is true, but people said the same of Winters at this time last year and he got that deal.  I am not saying they won't be able to sign people.  I am saying that we can't count guys as part of our nucleus for next year when they are not under contract.  Kony Ealy, Demario Davis, Marcus Williams, Enunwa, the kicker, Pennel.  I don't think any of these guys are eligible RFA.  Maybe Enunwa because of the missed service.  Johnson and Williams are already playing on RFA deals. 

None of them are super stars. no biggie. Macc & Bowles have an entire season of try outs for these guys.

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He has one less TD than Robinson and a better catch rate over the same career span.  I get that Robinson was the higher rated prospect, but Hurns can do damage.  Marcedes Lewis too.  I get the guy hasn't done much lately, but he and Hurns both have had 10 TD seasons.  The only guys on the Jets with more than 10 career receiving TDs are Forte, Kearse (13) and Kerley (12).  Nothing against your post and not to say they are a powerhouse, just pointing out that treating them lightly would be silly for anybody thinking the Jets were going to scare somebody.

Im not saying Hurns can't play.  I just don't think he's all that threatening.  I personally think Robinson is overrated.  Lee is emerging too.  They've got a ton of talent on that team and I wouldn't take them lightly at all.  Besides, the Jets can't take anyone lightly.  They suck.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Non-superstars.  Sobering Dolphins fans since 2017!

My point is that the Fins are like the 2015 Jets & just got manhandled by the supposed worst team in the league (I'm sure you said were going to get KILLED on Sunday).

Just now, Jetster said:

My point is that the Fins are like the 2015 Jets & just got manhandled by the supposed worst team in the league (I'm sure you said were going to get KILLED on Sunday).

Didn't have a prediction other than that I thought that Ajayi would break a couple.  The Dolphins didn't really scare me before their QB got hurt and they went out and got Jeff George 2.0.  Generally, I honestly see the Jets as a 4-6 win team.  They could go either way, but their ceiling is lower than their floor is high.  I just don't see many of these supposed building blocks or the young nucleus you were pointing out to sober up the fins fans.  QB?  Nothing.  RB?  Nothing.  WR?  Nice pieces, but nothing particularly scary.  TE? Nothing.  OL?  Maybe an RT.  On D, they lack a pass rusher and CBs.  You know... the important things. 

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If the Dolphins fans are supposed to be afraid of them, you don't think they should cost?  Claiborne or his replacement are not going to be cheap.  

What you said about Dozier is true, but people said the same of Winters at this time last year and he got that deal.  I am not saying they won't be able to sign people.  I am saying that we can't count guys as part of our nucleus for next year when they are not under contract.  Kony Ealy, Demario Davis, Marcus Williams, Enunwa, the kicker, Pennel.  I don't think any of these guys are eligible RFA.  Maybe Enunwa because of the missed service.  Johnson and Williams are already playing on RFA deals. 

Unless Claiborne really dominates, I'd rather we move on ... his injury history scares me and I don't want to be on the hook for lots of money if / when he gets hurt again.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I will stop raining on your parade.  We kicked the crap out of the Dolphins.  Let's revel in it.  The one truly wonderful thing about it is that we did it with our strength.  A D line that can dominate.

No parade. You cant even build a team of Superstars anymore with the cap, you have to have a mix of players. We have Leo on the Dline, Shell looks like he may be a  RT cornerstone sans injury, Adams & Maye could be household names in the secondary quickly, Maybe we found a TE in ASJ if he stays off the juice, Anderson is a nice deep WR ala a Wallace type, Stewart is flashing, McGuire has flashed a bit & you can see burst, quickness & some wiggle, Hansen is still a ?, Jenkins is solid, looks like Dozier is good enough for depth (we'll see or he may be good enough to take over Carpenters spot eventually), I think Macc has done a great job coming into a Team that the past 2 regimes failed to leave 1 cornerstone player, not 1. That's a tough assignment.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

No parade. You cant even build a team of Superstars anymore with the cap, you have to have a mix of players. We have Leo on the Dline, Shell looks like he may be a  RT cornerstone sans injury, Adams & Maye could be household names in the secondary quickly, Maybe we found a TE in ASJ if he stays off the juice, Anderson is a nice deep WR ala a Wallace type, Stewart is flashing, McGuire has flashed a bit & you can see burst, quickness & some wiggle, Hansen is still a ?, Jenkins is solid, looks like Dozier is good enough for depth (we'll see or he may be good enough to take over Carpenters spot eventually), I think Macc has done a great job coming into a Team that the past 2 regimes failed to leave 1 cornerstone player, not 1. That's a tough assignment.

I said I wasn't going to rain on your parade.  Why would you go there?

1 hour ago, sciond said:

Hey I got an idea....it's brilliant & so funny.....post a bunch of stupid Deep Thoughts skits from SNL...lmfao, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Really clever & thought provoking but I'm trying to figure out what this has to do with the Jets, enlighten me.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Um no, we TRIED to win in 2015 & 2016. You can't put the Idzik rebuild on Macc. 

Why did he try to win if he didn't have not 1 cornerstone player?  Personally, I wouldn't have suggested franchising the guy if he weren't a cornerstone player or giving him an $86M contract, but that's just me.  I wouldn't have given all that money to other non-cornerstone players like Winters, or Harris.  Maybe I'd have considered the guy that the Giants gave $10M to, it's not like there was no money.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

We have Leo on the Dline, Shell looks like he may be a  RT cornerstone sans injury, Adams & Maye could be household names in the secondary quickly, Maybe we found a TE in ASJ if he stays off the juice, Anderson is a nice deep WR ala a Wallace type, Stewart is flashing, McGuire has flashed a bit & you can see burst, quickness & some wiggle, Hansen is still a ?, Jenkins is solid, looks like Dozier is good enough for depth (we'll see or he may be good enough to take over Carpenters spot eventually)

Another rousing game of argumentum ad looks solid

15 hours ago, Jetster said:

Anyone know how teams play returning from games in London? Just curious as it's a long way to go & traveling is tiring. Jets have been practicing & chilling here at home getting ready.

Cam Robinson their left tackle left the game with an ankle injury, his status will be interesting. Even if he plays we need to test him & put pressure on him to plant & hold his spots.

Jaguars have forced 8 turnovers, which has helped lead them to 2-1. Jets need to just protect the ball like last week, without TOs you can hang in every game in this league. 

Perfect game for the Jets to have 3 good safeties. Adams, Maye, Brooks need to keep Lewis in check, cover him & take him away as the safety valve for Bortles & get that one pump so we can get to him. I think Parker & Landry are actually better than Hurns & Lee.

Jets do well vs backs like Fournette (similar to Ajayi) and it looks like Bowles has figured out blocking schemes now having game film from 3 games should help even more.

McCown is better than Fitzpatrick! He has a much better arm, seems to really know where guys should be in this WCO and has shown a lot of confidence which spreads throughout a young team. It's funny but the NY Jets have way better offensive talent right now than the Ravens. Flacco is obviously playing hurt, Wallace & Maclin (Anderson is better than Wallace right now), Kearse is producing more than Maclin coming back from an ACL. And look how good ASJ looked coming back after a 2 game suspension, healthy he's far better than Gilmore/Watson/Pitta. 

Love the Jets chances to go to 2-2 Sunday.

That would be a nightmare. Absolute nightmare.

6 hours ago, southtown24th said:

That would be a nightmare. Absolute nightmare.

Nothing that you or I, or anyone who follows the Jets will have any impact on the outcome of the game on Sunday. When has there ever been a team that lost on purpose other than the Colts sucking for Luck? It still didn't help Indy because there's a lot more to than having the 1st pick in the draft. The Browns have been at the top of the draft for years.

Im just going to cheer for the Jets to win, I'll be happy if they do & if they lose I'm not going to go crazy as I'm mostly interested in the development of the youngsters we have on the team. They already seem to be more of a TEAM this year.

Maybe the wrong thread for this, but as we've talked a bit about the Dolphags here, and London games, I'll go for it. :)

So ... Miami's week 1 game (home opener) was postponed due to hurricanes. Week 1 became their bye week.

Their first "home game" is therefore this week's contest ... which is in London! Their first home game in their home stadium will be vs. Tennessee in Week 5 (Oct 8th).

Their road schedule in the intermediate weeks involved LA, NY and London. I think they spent additional time in LA due to aforementioned hurricanes.

Meaning ...

• first team in the era of 17-week seasons with a bye in week 1 / 16 straight games (along with TB)
  • first team to have their home opener in a different country
  • first team in the era of 17-week seasons to not play in their own stadium till Week 5
  • greatest distance travelled from their home city across three consecutive games (12,640 km roughly speaking)

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys! :P  (If only LA had taken care of business they could have been 0-3 before most of their fans even got to attend a game).

Archived