2018 Post-Combine SPARQ Rankings by position

Jetsfan80

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I can find a bunch of really good, pro bowl defensive players that were ranked really low. Marcus Peters was the 34th best athlete at the Corner position in 2015 and a bunch of random guys that aren't in the league ranked in the top 4-5.  They did get it right in 2016 ranking Jalen Ramsey as #1, but my 2 year old could have figured that one out.  

So it isn't useful for offense and is occasionally  useful for defense. 

It's basically a useless tool that MAY have some benefit to a front office as a part of a greater algorithm used to grade players. Standing alone, it doesn't really provide us much information. 

It was fun to see our boy Xavier Cooper ranked 8th ahead of first round picks Danny Shelton (52nd ranked DL), Arik Armstead (22nd ranked DL) and Malcolm Brown (60th overall). 

"lol mom nd dad bill gates and MarK Zuckerberg didnt gradauate frum collage lol collage degreez are dumb throw them out their not a predictor of sucess"

26 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

"lol mom nd dad bill gates and MarK Zuckerberg didnt gradauate frum collage lol collage degreez are dumb throw them out their not a predictor of sucess"

OMG look at how low Jamaal Adams ranked all we care about are #leaders. 

OMG look at how high Stephen Hill and Vernon Gholston ranked all we care about are stupid combine type skills

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So Z-score is the most relevant number?  I know more or less what sparq is but  not Z score or this NFL% bit.

Can  someone educate me?

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

A z score of 0 equates to the average NFL athlete at that position.  A higher than 0 means that they are a better than average nfl athlete at their position, while a lower score means that you are lower than average.  A NFL% of 50 tells you basically the same thing.  The 50th percentile of athletic performance in these drills at their position.  Higher is better again.

Further, Z-scores tell you the standard deviation (measure of the variability in data set) from the mean.  68% of the data is within a standard deviation (z=1) and 98% is within two (z=2).  The site is called "3-sigma" which equates to a Z score of 3 or above which means the athlete is 3-standard deviations above average (z=0 or 50%) and ultimately, in non-stats terms, the athlete is a freak of nature (99.9th percentile).  I don't think the data was around then, but think, Cromartie.  Doesn't mean they're the best football player, but it's a useful measure.

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

OMG look at how low Jamaal Adams ranked all we care about are #leaders. 

OMG look at how high Stephen Hill and Vernon Gholston ranked all we care about are stupid combine type skills

I'm pretty sure that Gholston wouldn't have ranked as highly due to his poor 3-cone, which is probably the most important athletic measure for pass-rushers.

No one is stating SPARQ is the means by which you create your big board, simply a useful measure for understanding athleticism, and informing scouting decisions.

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Further, Z-scores tell you the standard deviation (measure of the variability in data set) from the mean.  68% of the data is within a standard deviation (z=1) and 98% is within two (z=2).  The site is called "3-sigma" which equates to a Z score of 3 or above which means the athlete is 3-standard deviations above average (z=0 or 50%) and ultimately, in non-stats terms, the athlete is a freak of nature (99.9th percentile).  I don't think the data was around then, but think, Cromartie.  Doesn't mean they're the best football player, but it's a useful measure.

Image result for nerd gif

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

The bad news is that both Mayfield and Rosen are below average athletes for an NFL QB.

The good news is that Mayfield and Rosen are basically the same athletically.  

Sorry, I have to disagree - while they're not Cam Newton - Most of the top NFL QB's are not better athletes than these guys..

Brees, Brady, Manning, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Flaco and more - were all 4.8+ plus guys at their combine - Rodgers and 4.7 not exactly a speedster.  I know 40 time doesn't = athletism but when I watch these guys play they don't show themesleves to be more athletic than Mayfield.

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sorry, I have to disagree - while they're not Cam Newton - Most of the top NFL QB's are not better athletes than these guys..

Brees, Brady, Manning, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Flaco and more - were all 4.8+ plus guys at their combine - Rodgers and 4.7 not exactly a speedster.  I know 40 time doesn't = athletism but when I watch these guys play they don't show themesleves to be more athletic than Mayfield.

I was not looking at their 40 time.  I was looking at their overall percentile and z-score, the latter of which is slightly negative.  

They both are low 40%s, with Mayfield a bit lower than Rosen.  That means, according to the Sparq score, Mayfield and Rosen have lower scores/are worse athletically than approx. 60% of NFL QBs.  My guess is that Petty and Hack have higher Sparq scores, so that obviously does not mean too much.  

Archived