I Need Some Advice From Homeowners

Bombdirt

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

my house isn't even worth 2mm, let alone 3.5mm!.  

You poor bastard!  How can anybody be expected to leave with a sub-$2M weekend house!  

I'm joking, but there is some truth to Joe Willie's comment.  I think you know this.  You realize the importance of happy neighbors and $2500 to you might not be the same as $2500 to others.  I am sure I would not just pony up whatever she asked for or pay for her trees or even half outright, but reasonable discussions about it will probably serve you better in the long run than telling her to **** herself and see her in court.  

Batman.... Everyone here disagrees with you. Everyone thinks you shouldnt pay a dime. This business about happy neighbors is silly. Whats even sillier is this notion of being a part timer. Wtf, you bought the house its yours that doesnt make you a second class citizen.

Do you pay 40 days of taxes or 365?

My point here is everyone disagrees. So relax! 

19 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Batman.... Everyone here disagrees with you. Everyone thinks you shouldnt pay a dime. This business about happy neighbors is silly. Whats even sillier is this notion of being a part timer. Wtf, you bought the house its yours that doesnt make you a second class citizen.

Do you pay 40 days of taxes or 365?

My point here is everyone disagrees. So relax! 

everyone disagrees with me which is a little worrisome.  i am generally a pretty good negotiator (at least that's what my bosses have told me on deals i have negotiated) and yet my negotiation here seems to cause everyone think i am stupid.  i will point out my wife doesn't want to settle either.

i don't know what you mean by taxes on 40 days. i pay property tax for 100% of the days.  my income tax is based in NYC.

i

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You poor bastard!  How can anybody be expected to leave with a sub-$2M weekend house!  

I'm joking, but there is some truth to Joe Willie's comment.  I think you know this.  You realize the importance of happy neighbors and $2500 to you might not be the same as $2500 to others.  I am sure I would not just pony up whatever she asked for or pay for her trees or even half outright, but reasonable discussions about it will probably serve you better in the long run than telling her to **** herself and see her in court.  

part of settling is that i am thinking about selling the house as prices are absurd.  i don't want any legal issues around the house.   there are two absurdly priced houses on my street including the house across from me asking 2.9mm.  i want them to sell so i can get a good price for mine.  

I would tell the neighbor that you feel maintaining her shrubbery overgrowth didn't effect them enough to kill them and it must have been something else. Tell her flat out you just can't see throwing $2500 her way when nothing was agreed on during the entire process. $2500 is nothing to these people that own multi-million dollar homes.  I once did a split rail fence job after work for a well off family in Westfield N.J. The old fence was in really bad shape 10 years later I got a call that a piece of the fence had broken and the owner wanted to know if there was a warranty. Needless to say the fence was sat on by a heavy person and it wasn't normal wear and tear the homeowner asked me if I would replace the fence section for free I said yes just pay for the material, needless to say I added $100 for my time and they knew nothing. They felt like they were getting a deal because in reality the fence was broken which wasn't my fault. These types of people are used to paying for everything and they know how to manipulate people into deals. 

24 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

part of settling is that i am thinking about selling the house as prices are absurd.  i don't want any legal issues around the house.   there are two absurdly priced houses on my street including the house across from me asking 2.9mm.  i want them to sell so i can get a good price for mine.  

If you are selling I would say **** it.  The main reason to settle is to avoid dealing with it and having a happy neighbor that might look out for you while you are gone.  If she takes you to court it will be out there and it is not going to be on the weekend.  That is also where your non-local status will look bad.  They will look at you like a carpetbagger.  OTOH, nobody is going to avoid buying your place over a pending lawsuit worth a max of $12k.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I would tell the neighbor that you feel maintaining her shrubbery overgrowth didn't effect them enough to kill them and it must have been something else. Tell her flat out you just can't see throwing $2500 her way when nothing was agreed on during the entire process. $2500 is nothing to these people that own multi-million dollar homes.  I once did a split rail fence job after work for a well off family in Westfield N.J. The old fence was in really bad shape 10 years later I got a call that a piece of the fence had broken and the owner wanted to know if there was a warranty. Needless to say the fence was sat on by a heavy person and it wasn't normal wear and tear the homeowner asked me if I would replace the fence section for free I said yes just pay for the material, needless to say I added $100 for my time and they knew nothing. They felt like they were getting a deal because in reality the fence was broken which wasn't my fault. These types of people are used to paying for everything and they know how to manipulate people into deals. 

1. You're basically telling us that you lie to rich people

2. Batman is one of those rich people.  If $2500 is nothing to his neighbor it is nothing to him.  Or is multi-million the distinction?  His place is worth $1.9M and his neighbors $2.5M, so he is a Regular Joe?   

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

No not at all they initially lied to me, by saying 10 years later the fence mysteriously broke when you could tell it was sat on or pushed on dead center. 

I told them no problem I would take care of it, you pay for the material I added in my time, travel and labor. 

They felt they got over on me when in reality they didn't. 

I would have done this with anyone rich or poor. 

Fence looked similar to this pic. 

Image result for split rail fence cedar pics

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you are selling I would say **** it.  The main reason to settle is to avoid dealing with it and having a happy neighbor that might look out for you while you are gone.  If she takes you to court it will be out there and it is not going to be on the weekend.  That is also where your non-local status will look bad.  They will look at you like a carpetbagger.  OTOH, nobody is going to avoid buying your place over a pending lawsuit worth a max of $12k.

2. Batman is one of those rich people.  If $2500 is nothing to his neighbor it is nothing to him.  Or is multi-million the distinction?  His place is worth $1.9M and his neighbors $2.5M, so he is a Regular Joe?   

i am not rich!  my house is probably world 1.5mm.  it might sell for higher due to stupidity of others.  

i might sell, she's involved in the real estate world.  my thinking is that if there is any chance she says bad things then i can get lower value for my house.  

going to court on a weekday also interferes with my surfing the web at work time.  there is some value there. 

i am going to end up settling with the knowledge that i should not have and nothing i can do.  going to be a painful check to write.  

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

i am not rich!  my house is probably world 1.5mm.  it might sell for higher due to stupidity of others.  

i might sell, she's involved in the real estate world.  my thinking is that if there is any chance she says bad things then i can get lower value for my house.  

going to court on a weekday also interferes with my surfing the web at work time.  there is some value there. 

i am going to end up settling with the knowledge that i should not have and nothing i can do.  going to be a painful check to write.  

I don't get it.  What bad things is she going to say?  I don't think anybody pays a lower price because they are buying from a treekiller. 

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

i am sure they knew you billed them extra but the figured it wasn't worth the effort to fight you over it.

not everyone with money is stupid Joe.  They just don't want to fight over an extra 100 bucks.  

don't get me started on Fence.  My handyman put a deer fence up last year AND it's already shredded.  He wanted to use another material, the fence store guy said to use the one we used.  I went against my handyman and now he's got to do the fence again.  god knows how much that is going to cost.

And someone took/borrowed/stole/lost my freaking pool pump and that was another 500 bucks.

i am starting to hate this freaking house.

i am sure they knew you billed them extra but the figured it wasn't worth the effort to fight you over it.

not everyone with money is stupid Joe.  They just don't want to fight over an extra 100 bucks.  

don't get me started on Fence.  My handyman put a deer fence up last year AND it's already shredded.  He wanted to use another material, the fence store guy said to use the one we used.  I went against my handyman and now he's got to do the fence again.  god knows how much that is going to cost.

And someone took/borrowed/stole/lost my freaking pool pump and that was another 500 bucks.

now i realize how much i hate the house crap.

the last few years have been very hellish. 

it's always paid for itself so it's never been a problem.   but now it might be time to say good bye.

7 hours ago, batman10023 said:

everyone disagrees with me which is a little worrisome.  i am generally a pretty good negotiator (at least that's what my bosses have told me on deals i have negotiated) and yet my negotiation here seems to cause everyone think i am stupid.  i will point out my wife doesn't want to settle either.

i don't know what you mean by taxes on 40 days. i pay property tax for 100% of the days.  my income tax is based in NYC.

i

Nobody thinks youre stupid. Stupid people dont have vacation houses in the hamptons. 

Ok so you make a good buck if piece of mind is what you want give her the 2500 and thats that. Dont worry about what others think its your dough

Just now, HighPitch said:

Nobody thinks youre stupid. Stupid people dont have vacation houses in the hamptons. 

Ok so you make a good buck if piece of mind is what you want give her the 2500 and thats that. Dont worry about what others think its your dough

+1

The purpose of settling is to get it over with and not worry.  You are worrying. 

14 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Don't be so sure I get fencing for contractors price from a wholesaler and its far better grade and quality than HD or Lowes after all the smoke clears what I bought material and installed for was a way better price what they could buy it for. I was also doing this after work and on weekends so my profit margin was way less than guys doing this to feed a family or buy new fancy trucks. Whether they knew or not the fence still looks good 10 years later and would have never broke if someone didn't sit on it. (its not made for sitting on) 

Is there any proof or documentation in the form of a police report/matter of record you caused damage to her shrubbery?  

If its word against word I doubt she has a leg to stand on. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't be so sure I get fencing for contractors price from a wholesaler and its far better grade and quality than HD or Lowes after all the smoke clears what I bought material and installed for was a way better price what they could buy it for. I was also doing this after work and on weekends so my profit margin was way less than guys doing this to feed a family or buy new fancy trucks. Whether they knew or not the fence still looks good 10 years later and would have never broke if someone didn't sit on it. (its not made for sitting on) 

that's my point.  they got a good deal from you.  they aren't being stupid, they made a rational choice even if they knew you were making a few extra bucks (in your mind).

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

that's my point.  they got a good deal from you.  they aren't being stupid, they made a rational choice even if they knew you were making a few extra bucks (in your mind).

Ok but my guess is they may have tried to match the fence at the home improvement stores and they couldn't the install takes 10 minutes I usually screw the rails in to avoid them loosening up or twisting. But to call me 10 years later and ask if its under warranty was a joke in itself. 

Rich people looking for something for free, they are rich for a reason. 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

+1

The purpose of settling is to get it over with and not worry.  You are worrying. 

i am not worrying, i just feel she played this perfectly.

i could win in court but there is a chance i lose.  if she asked for anything more, i would have said to pound sand. She asked just the right amount such that i probably pay and be annoyed.  i don't like getting played that's really my disgust.

if anything though, this and the fence and other little things (along with the absurd prices) probably gets me to sell and i make a ton of money on the house.  i bought it in 2008 when the market was in free fall.   if things are going swimmingly maybe i don't sell.

i could win in court but there is a chance i lose.  if she asked for anything more, i would have said to pound sand. She asked just the right amount such that i probably pay and be annoyed.  i don't like getting played that's really my disgust.

if anything though, this and the fence and other little things (along with the absurd prices) probably gets me to sell and i make a ton of money on the house.  i bought it in 2008 when the market was in free fall.   if things are going swimmingly maybe i don't sell.

I thought you were a negotiator.  You are paying her ask? 

Ok but my guess is they may have tried to match the fence at the home improvement stores and they couldn't the install takes 10 minutes I usually screw the rails in to avoid them loosening up or twisting. But to call me 10 years later and ask if its under warranty was a joke in itself. 

Rich people looking for something for free, they are rich for a reason. 

rich people get rich not by jilting folks for 100 bucks.

since i am not rich i beat my handyman down on price whenever i can.  us non rich folk can't afford these absurd hamptons prices.

i wanted to get new shingles and a roof done on my house.  stupid contractors wanted 48k for the job.  my dad got it done for $25k with some guys from NJ.  they stayed at the house for like 3 days.

Starter went out on my 328i. I know dealers want 1200+ to replace. Already had a bad experience at the honda dealership where i bought it used. They almost broke the key by pulling out the key instead of pushing in and then pulling out. 

Im a great mechanic. NEVER pay others but now i grew paranoid of some inexperienced dope touching it. The starter required a LOT of stuff removed. Total PITA. 

In the end i found a great bulgerian dude with a little shop that only touches bmw and MB. He took 600 bucks and even put in a Bosh starter. 

My point is, that 600 killed me. Not financially but mentally. My pride was hurt. But Im too busy to take apart half an engine these days. 

The point is, i threw money to fix a problem and calm my nerves and im glad i did. 

This bulgerian, btw, is funny. He works in slacks and button up shirts. Spotless. If anyone needs a great reasonablw german car mechanic in tampa let me know

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I thought you were a negotiator.  You are paying her ask? 

no, she asked 3k.  i am going to pay 2k or maybe 2500.  

she said the work is really north of 12k but she's getting a lot of it done for free because she threw her landscaper like 200k worth of work on another job.  

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Check the bill and see what they charged for the shrubs and compare it to the price  list I posted, I'm sure the labor rate is out of this world also the price you pay to live in the Hamptons. I would offer her less than she's asking. 

Years ago my wife backed into an old Chevy Blazer rusted out we agreed to pay for the damages no insurance involved, so I said get an estimate and come see me. He brings an estimate to my house for $4000 replace the quarter panel, rear bumper, paint you name so I agreed and said I write you a check for $2000 you get the truck fixed come back and show me with the receipt paid in full and I give the other $2000 he quickly backed down and said just give me $500 and we call it even. 

Live and learn.

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

no, she asked 3k.  i am going to pay 2k or maybe 2500.  

she said the work is really north of 12k but she's getting a lot of it done for free because she threw her landscaper like 200k worth of work on another job.  

Talk nice to her. Get it down to 2500 and pay. Sleep well. It will be over

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Starter went out on my 328i. I know dealers want 1200+ to replace. Already had a bad experience at the honda dealership where i bought it used. They almost broke the key by pulling out the key instead of pushing in and then pulling out. 

Im a great mechanic. NEVER pay others but now i grew paranoid of some inexperienced dope touching it. The starter required a LOT of stuff removed. Total PITA. 

In the end i found a great bulgerian dude with a little shop that only touches bmw and MB. He took 600 bucks and even put in a Bosh starter. 

My point is, that 600 killed me. Not financially but mentally. My pride was hurt. But Im too busy to take apart half an engine these days. 

The point is, i threw money to fix a problem and calm my nerves and im glad i did. 

This bulgerian, btw, is funny. He works in slacks and button up shirts. Spotless. If anyone needs a great reasonablw german car mechanic in tampa let me know

same - it's not the money.  it's the mentality.

$1500 an expensive bottle of wine and be done with it. 

lol, she's like 60 years old but has big parties.  (we are always invited, including tequila and tacos this summer).  she always comes the next afternoon with an expensive bottle of wine for the noise she caused.  

BTW, I love this "Hamptons" stuff.   I have a place that is technically in Southampton Township.  My grandfather bought it for $1200.  It was two lots.  He didn't realize and didn't pay taxes on the one without the house - bought it back at a tax auction for $8.  It's worth way more now, but I'd be shocked if it is worth $350k.  Still, my Dad gets the beach pass and he is happy all summer. 

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Check the bill and see what they charged for the shrubs and compare it to the price  list I posted, I'm sure the labor rate is out of this world also the price you pay to live in the Hamptons. I would offer her less than she's asking. 

Years ago my wife backed into an old Chevy Blazer rusted out we agreed to pay for the damages no insurance involved, so I said get an estimate and come see me. He brings an estimate to my house for $4000 replace the quarter panel, rear bumper, paint you name so I agreed and said I write you a check for $2000 you get the truck fixed come back and show me with the receipt pain in full and I give the other $2000 he quickly backed down and said just give me $500 and we call it even. 

Live and learn.

Lol my gf let off the brakes at a red light and tapped this rusted out POS worth 1000 tops. They exchanged info. 

Then she gets an email asking for 3500 for damages and clinic because his 2 little kids had to go to the clinic. Then, he starts sending emails about it "not going away". 

Googled him up, he and his family are in and out of jail for petty stuff often. So shes worried. He knows her address. 

Well I knew his to. Went there and wont say much more abojt how I handled it but havent heard a peep for a year

Archived