What will the Defense Look Like? A Few Scenarios

varjet

Although the flirtation with Anthony Barr did have me scratching my head somewhat after hearing that that the Jets would stick with a 3-4 defense, I have been spending too much time trying to figure out what the defense will look like depending on how the draft falls into place.  These are a few of my thoughts:

1. Jets Draft Josh Allen-this appears to be the most likely option, which could also mean passing on one or both of Bosa and Quinnen.  This would appear to be easy from an installation perspective.  Henry and Leo at DE, McClendon and last year's draft picks at NT.  Jenkins, Mosley, Avery and Josh at LB.  I think in the long term Avery gets replaced with a better version of Lee.  
  2. Jets Draft Quinnen-What do we do here?  Does he play NT and then we repeat last year's OLB?  Do we switch to a 4-3 and still need an EDGE?  Do we stick with a 3-4 and then just let Quinnen replace Leo next year?  
  3. Jets Draft Bosa-this could happen.  Does Bosa play a 3-4 EDGE role?  Do the Jets run a hybrid, playing Bosa on passing downs with his hands down?  Do the Jets switch to a 4-3 and play Henry at strong side DE like Shaun Ellis?
  4. Jets Trade Down-hopefully they could pick up a Burns or Sweat at OLB and try option 1.

In any event, you can see how the signings of Mosley and Henry really pushed the Jets to stick with a 3-4 and could possibly make things interesting if a true 4-3 DL BPA was there at 3.

I think the 3-4 plan was put in place because the Jets knew that they would get Josh Allen.  

Quinnen Williams won’t be a Jet. Mac won’t go there imo. It’ll be Allen or a trade down.  Biggest need at a valuable position is pass rusher - that need aligns with Allen who will be there.  Is it looking a gift horse in the mouth to trade out of that despite the woes on the OL??  Should we feel lucky to have an elite guy there at our biggest need at a valuable pick? 

Take Allen,  stick them on the edge standing up or hand in the dirt on passing downs, get some creative ILB and SS blitzes and get some pressure finally. Leo improvises, Anderson chops wood, maybe the defense is complete if Roberts and Tru don’t have to cover as long.

you hope we get a starting center in the 3rd.

6 hours ago, varjet said:

I would have thought so, but not signing an EDGE makes that harder.  

Not really. Nothing is more important than Darnold. We do need to address edge but it is lower priority than OL and weapons for Sam. Frank Clark being on the trading block could be a great solution to allow us to trade down without hesitation.  There are reports today the Jets want to address OL in round one. Could be smoke but I think not.

Just now, johnnysd said:

Not really. Nothing is more important than Darnold. We do need to address edge but it is lower priority than OL and weapons for Sam. Frank Clark being on the trading block could be a great solution to allow us to trade down without hesitation.  There are reports today the Jets want to address OL in round one. Could be smoke but I think not.

Frank Clark shoulda been a jet 20 mins after Seattle said they’re open to trading him

Archived