The Golf Thread

So there isn’t a lot going on right now football wise, and my Mets have crashed and burned again this year. Aside from the always funny and entertaining back and forth between @joewilly12 and Tom Shane and @BROOKLYN JET, it’s been the same old trolls vs fan boys stuff back and forth here lately. I noticed in one of the threads last week we have quite a few golfers here (and quite a few who love to bash golf, lol).

Anyway, Since we are in the peak of the golf season for many of you right now, I thought I’d start this thread. It can be a place where we can all talk about how we’ve been playing, What’s in our bag, different clubs we have tried or where we like to play. It can also be the place to talk about anything PGA tour related.

I’ll start it off by talking about my game. I split the year between Myrtle Beach and Long Island, so I get to play year round. I’m currently playing to a 13, and my goal is to get down to single digits.

My bag consists of the following,

PING G400 Max 9.0 

Tour Edge Exotics 15*

Callaway Rouge X #3  18* & Rogue #4 21* hybrids

Callaway Apex cf 16 irons 5-aw, although I’m breaking in a set of Rogue X irons

Cleveland Rtx3 wedges 52* &58*

Odyssey O-works Versa Fang ch 

I belong to a club in SC named Barefoot Resort & Golf which has 4 courses. They are designed by Tom Fazio, Greg Norman, Davis Love, and Pete Dye. When I’m up on Long Island I use Golf Now for the best deal.

Here’s hoping all you other JN hackers think this thread is a good idea, and chime in to talk about your game!

On 7/6/2019 at 10:54 AM, 14 in Green said:

So there isn’t a lot going on right now football wise, and my Mets have crashed and burned again this year. Aside from the always funny and entertaining back and forth between @joewilly12 and Tom Shane and @BROOKLYN JET, it’s been the same old trolls vs fan boys stuff back and forth here lately. I noticed in one of the threads last week we have quite a few golfers here (and quite a few who love to bash golf, lol).

Anyway, Since we are in the peak of the golf season for many of you right now, I thought I’d start this thread. It can be a place where we can all talk about how we’ve been playing, What’s in our bag, different clubs we have tried or where we like to play. It can also be the place to talk about anything PGA tour related.

I’ll start it off by talking about my game. I split the year between Myrtle Beach and Long Island, so I get to play year round. I’m currently playing to a 13, and my goal is to get down to single digits.

My bag consists of the following,

PING G400 Max 9.0 

Tour Edge Exotics 15*

Callaway Rouge X #3  18* & Rogue #4 21* hybrids

Callaway Apex cf 16 irons 5-aw, although I’m breaking in a set of Rogue X irons

Cleveland Rtx3 wedges 52* &58*

Odyssey O-works Versa Fang ch 

I belong to a club in SC named Barefoot Resort & Golf which has 4 courses. They are designed by Tom Fazio, Greg Norman, Davis Love, and Pete Dye. When I’m up on Long Island I use Golf Now for the best deal.

Here’s hoping all you other JN hackers think this thread is a good idea, and chime in to talk about your game!

Just got back from a 4 day trip to Hilton Head.  Played all the Palmetto Dunes courses, RTG, Arthur Hills, Fazio and Harbour Town. Amazing courses, great trip.  Definitely will be back.  Harbour Town is one of the best courses I've ever played.  Hard AF.

My Irons are Callaway Big Bertha.  52*gap-6. 

56 Cleveland.  Have a 58 but I took it out of my bag.  Hated it.  I've never bladed a club so much in my life.  

Taylormade Spider Putter - big grip wide grip on it. Love that putter.

Titleist TS2 Driver.  915f 3 wood.  I have an old Adams Golf 5 wood I love that i'll never replace (I hit my only hole in 1 with it)

My hybrid 5 is a Taylormade M2, my favorite club in the bag.  

And then the only other club I have is an 85 year old "Chipper" or fringe putter if you will.  It was my grandpa's.  Handy club for tough shots around the green/on the fringe. 

I'm a +10 but it's only because I just broke 80 for the first time a couple of weeks ago and put up like 4 82's in a row.  I'm really more like a +12.  I really only started to get serious about golf 6 months ago.  I've always played casually (5 rounds a  year).   I'm a full on addict now and my goal is +8 by the end of the year. 

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

Just got back from a 4 day trip to Hilton Head.  Played all the Palmetto Dunes courses, RTG, Arthur Hills, Fazio and Harbour Town. Amazing courses, great trip.  Definitely will be back.  Harbour Town is one of the best courses I've ever played.  Hard AF.

My Irons are Callaway Big Bertha.  52*gap-6. 

56 Cleveland.  Have a 58 but I took it out of my bag.  Hated it.  I've never bladed a club so much in my life.  

Taylormade Spider Putter - big grip wide grip on it. Love that putter.

Titleist TS2 Driver.  915f 3 wood.  I have an old Adams Golf 5 wood I love that i'll never replace (I hit my only hole in 1 with it)

My hybrid 5 is a Taylormade M2, my favorite club in the bag.  

And then the only other club I have is an 85 year old "Chipper" or fringe putter if you will.  It was my grandpa's.  Handy club for tough shots around the green/on the fringe. 

I'm a +10 but it's only because I just broke 80 for the first time a couple of weeks ago and put up like 4 82's in a row.  I'm really more like a +12.  I really only started to get serious about golf 6 months ago.  I've always played casually (5 rounds a  year).   I'm a full on addict now and my goal is +8 by the end of the year. 

Hilton Head is gorgeous. That’s a great trip. The wind though... lol

I just bought a 5 hybrid, to go with the rogue x irons. I don’t know why I waited so long. I get what you mean, it’s such an easy, and versatile club.

I made a huge change going from steel to a way more forgiviving graphite shafted iron set in the rogue x. I thought it would be a while before I felt comfortable with them, but they’re going in the bag for the first round tomorrow. I can’t wait, they’re almost point and shoot on the range.

How do you like that new Titleist driver? I’m curious what it replaced for you. I’ve never had much luck with their drivers...

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

HiltoHead is gorgeous. That’s a great trip. The wind though... lol

I just bought a 5 hybrid, to go with the rogue x irons. I don’t know why I waited so long. I get what you mean, it’s such an easy, and versatile club.

I made a huge change going from steel to a way more forgiviving graphite shafted iron set. I thought it would be a while before I felt comfortable with them, but they’re going in the bag for the first round tomorrow. I can’t wait, they’re almost point and shoot on the range.

How do you like that new Titleist driver? I’m curious what it replaced for you. I’ve never had much luck with their drivers...

I dont understand how anyone hits a real 5 anymore these days.  The hybrid is sooo easy to hit.  I can hit a punch down at 165 straight as an arrow on the regular.  It's my go to lay up club on par 5's.  And if I need to muscle it, I can get it to carry 190-5.  It's an awesome, as you said, versatile club.

Ironically, once I got serious about golf the first thing I did was go from graphite (I had old Pings) to iron shafts on my Callaways.  I swing fast and the graphites were a little whippy for me.   Made a huge difference making that switch.

I replaced my almost 12 year old Taylormade Burner.  So obviously it's a huge upgrade; distance, control, sweet spot...all in all, much more forgiving.  That said, my driver controls my game and if I'm off with the driver, I'm scrambling all day.   I'm looking into a 2 iron...any experience hitting one?  

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont understand how anyone hits a real 5 anymore these days.  The hybrid is sooo easy to hit.  I can hit a punch down at 165 straight as an arrow on the regular.  It's my go to lay up club on par 5's.  And if I need to muscle it, I can get it to carry 190-5.  It's an awesome, as you said, versatile club.

Ironically, once I got serious about golf the first thing I did was go from graphite (I had old Pings) to iron shafts on my Callaways.  I swing fast and the graphites were a little whippy for me.   Made a huge difference making that switch.

I replaced my almost 12 year old Taylormade Burner.  So obviously it's a huge upgrade; distance, control, sweet spot...all in all, much more forgiving.  That said, my driver controls my game and if I'm off with the driver, I'm scrambling all day.   I'm looking into a 2 iron...any experience hitting one?  

You need a lot of swing speed to hit a 2 iron. Look into a 2 hybrid or one of those Taylormade GAPR or PING crossovers.

I struggle with fairway woods, yet I love my hybrids. My 3 hyb is 18*, and I get 190-200 on a smooth swing with it.

Im like you, I only played occasionally, but when I got the “addiction” about 8 years ago, it wasn’t long before I moved to Myrtle Beach. Now that I turned into my 60s I’m making every change I can to make the bag more forgiving, and max out distance.

Funny what you said about the 58*. I’m thinking of going to a 56* also. I’d be better of just using it out of bunkers and 75ish full swings. The flop shots cost me more then they save me strokes.

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Bump for

@southparkcpa and @joenamathwouldn'tcry and anyone else to chime in!!!

Ok so I’m a 12 and getting better. Break 80 a few times a year but this year committed to getting down to a nine. NO MORE DOUBLES is my goal and try to get a birdie every round.   I play at least once a week, many times twice as I am working less.   Interestingly, playing smarter, laying up smarter, not going for it has helped me.   I spend most of my practice time with my 100 yard shot and in so when I lay up, I KNOW I will hit the green and then two putt.  been working on putting and 100 yards in and it is helping.  

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Ok so I’m a 12 and getting better. Break 80 a few times a year but this year committed to getting down to a nine. NO MORE DOUBLES is my goal and try to get a birdie every round.   I play at least once a week, many times twice as I am working less.   Interestingly, playing smarter, laying up smarter, not going for it has helped me.   I spend most of my practice time with my 100 yard shot and in so when I lay up, I KNOW I will hit the green and then two putt.  been working on putting and 100 yards in and it is helping.  

I’ve been working very hard on my swing. That’s going to stop though.

i recently played in a 4 some with two of the low single digit players at my club. Afterward they both told me had one of them been caddying for me, they could’ve taken at least 5 strokes off my score.

I was surprised, because I had just shot an 82 on a very tough course. They told me that physically, my game was good enough to be single digit. What’s been keeping me in the 12-13 range is my course management. They “joked” I had the mental game of an 18-20 cap.

Their point was, to get to single digits, of course I/we have to avoid the blow up holes, but the way to do that is before the swing. Everybody out there hits a few bad shots. The secret is to not compound them, or attempt foolish ones.

Food for thought, and like anything in golf, easier said then done. That, and keep working, working, working on the short game like you are....

• Upvote 2

Ok so at the risk of rambling on even more (can’t help it, I love talking golf), I didn’t do a very good job of fully explaining what they were saying. 

Players at our level spend way too much time working on what we think are our “bad golf swings”. They’re actually not that bad. What good players do is work their way around the course, using the swing they have THAT DAY, and by making intelligent decisions BEFORE they hit the next shot.

They really gave me a new perspective on how to approach each round.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

You need a lot of swing speed to hit a 2 iron. Look into a 2 hybrid or one of those Taylormade GAPR or PING crossovers.

I struggle with fairway woods, yet I love my hybrids. My 3 hyb is 18*, and I get 190-200 on a smooth swing with it.

Im like you, I only played occasionally, but when I got the “addiction” about 8 years ago, it wasn’t long before I moved to Myrtle Beach. Now that I turned into my 60s I’m making every change I can to make the bag more forgiving, and max out distance.

Funny what you said about the 58*. I’m thinking of going to a 56* also. I’d be better of just using it out of bunkers and 75ish full swings. The flop shots cost me more then they save me strokes.

Thanks for the tip!  I'm going to do that for sure.  

Taking the 58 out of my bag was the best thing that ever happened to my game.  No more sitting at 85-90 yards wondering what I should hit, a muscled out 58 or a range 56.  Plus, I legit would skull that 58 all the time.  lol  I have no issues out of the sand with it.  Depending on the line, I can barely get sand and control it very well out of the bunker.  If it's buried, open up the club face and stance and full swing.

Speaking of trouble with woods, have you or anyone you know try this GX7?  The swing it like a 7 but hit it like a driver club?  I've heard good things.  I'm thinking about trying it.  I definitely fall into the category of golfer who cant avoid the 2-3 bad shots of the tee that ruin your round.  Every low 80's round I've had this year, would have been in the 70's had I....

I know, I know...every golfer famous last words but I'm serious about checking this out.  Money back if you dont like it.

https://go.gx7golf.com/get/gx7xmetal-ggl/?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=2041071737-72595390979-356606837677&gclid=CjwKCAjw04vpBRB3EiwA0Iieak7UEVCsuBDv7DRB_D461OVOLL8xImtSeCcMZaGmq14OsGVoAqwziRoC8qEQAvD_BwE

A few guys down in Myrtle beach tried that club last year. None really were to crazy about it. You have the money back guarantee, so no harm, no foul. From what I’ve heard it’s very similar to the “mini drivers” Callaway and Taylormade came out with 2 or 3 years ago. Kind of a one trick pony. Similar to a 3 wood off the tee, but even more difficult off the turf.

you mentioned your old chipper, the Square Stryke wedge is showing up in quite a few guys bags down here. Supposedly once you figure it out, it’s great from shallow bunkers also. But I’ve seen enough guys really improve their chipping/pitching that I’m considering getting one. I just came up to Long Island though for July and August. I’m going to wait until I get back down south, where my club has a nice short game practice area where I can work on it. 

I just don’t know which club I’d take out of my bag. The smart move would be to ditch my 3 wood. It’s my kryptonite club. ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I've had the no double goal for a while now.  Still havent achieved it, even the round I broke 80.   hahahaha

I've recently committed to more practice vs. more rounds per week.  I was playing as much as I could with no practice and not getting better.  Now, I'm practicing 2-3 times a week and only playing once maybe twice if I golf with a client during the week.  I go to the range and mash balls to keep the muscle memory with focus on whatever I feel my game needs the most but really I go to chip and putt.  That commitment is the reason I went from occasionally breaking 90 to consistently scoring in the mid 80's - less 3 jacks, if any and no flubs or skulls chipping.  That sh*t used to kill my game.  My ball striking has never really been an issue, like most golfers, it's accuracy.  

I

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

A few guys down in Myrtle beach tried that club last year. None really were to crazy about it. You have the money back guarantee, so no harm, no foul. From what I’ve heard it’s very similar to the “mini drivers” Callaway and Taylormade came out with 2 or 3 years ago. Kind of a one trick pony. Similar to a 3 wood off the tee, but even more difficult off the turf.

you mentioned your old chipper, the Square Stryke wedge is showing up in quite a few guys bags down here. Supposedly once you figure it out, it’s great from shallow bunkers also. But I’ve seen enough guys really improve their chipping/pitching that I’m considering getting one. I just came up to Long Island though for July and August. I’m going to wait until I get back down south, where my club has a nice short game practice area where I can work on it. 

I just don’t know which club I’d take out of my bag. The smart move would be to ditch my 3 wood. It’s my kryptonite club. ?

Ok, good to know.  Like you said, no harm no foul.  Hopefully it's not like a 3 wood and more like an Iron as they advertise because like you, I cant hit my 3 wood.  I can kind of hit it of the tee but no chance off the deck.  I dont even try.  I just hit my 5 wood or hybrid and eat the yardage. 

I've seen the commercials for that club.  Looks similar to my Chipper but more lofted.  My Chipper is really a true fringe putter that helps give you a little lift and speed through the fringe or barely in the rough off the fringe.  You can use it if you're short of the green on the fairway too but it couldnt scoop a shot out of the bunker unless it was a completely flat transition, which is rare to never.

Ok so at the risk of rambling on even more (can’t help it, I love talking golf), I didn’t do a very good job of fully explaining what they were saying. 

Players at our level spend way too much time working on what we think are our “bad golf swings”. They’re actually not that bad. What good players do is work their way around the course, using the swing they have THAT DAY, and by making intelligent decisions BEFORE they hit the next shot.

They really gave me a new perspective on how to approach each round.

Don't apologize.  I have the bug right now.  Completely addicted.   You're a good player, I like reading this stuff.  It's logical. 

And I feel like this applies so well to me.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

A few guys down in Myrtle beach tried that club last year.

12 hours ago, JiF said:

Don't apologize.  I have the bug right now.  Completely addicted.   You're a good player, I like reading this stuff.  It's logical. 

And I feel like this applies so well to me.

I carry a 58 54 52 and a GAP. PW to 6.   3 hybrids, 3, 4 and 5 all CobraF7 and my irons are Mizuno.  Just bought the TM M6 driver.  

When I hear guys talk handicaps I always reserve judgement. This sounds snooty but if someone does NOT belong to a club or has not, its hard to keep a handicap right.  I have seen so many guys tell me they shoot in the 80s and you play with them and realize they take breakfast balls, free drops on a tight lie, 3 foot gimmes and don’t get me started on when they put one OB off the tee, their next shot is their second.

The game is SO friggin difficult when played by the rules.

if you go to YouTube... Mickelsons shirt game videos are all there. my chipping and putting has really improved listening and practicing as he instructs. 

lastly, I would have NEVER found this thread. we need a way to promote it on the main board , I’m sure a TON of guys would be interested.

I am a  financial advisor so I get to play a few neat courses each year. July 19 I’m playing Primland in Virginia. 

51 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I carry a 58 54 52 and a GAP. PW to 6.   3 hybrids, 3, 4 and 5 all CobraF7 and my irons are Mizuno.  Just bought the TM M6 driver.  

When I hear guys talk handicaps I always reserve judgement. This sounds snooty but if someone does NOT belong to a club or has not, its hard to keep a handicap right.  I have seen so many guys tell me they shoot in the 80s and you play with them and realize they take breakfast balls, free drops on a tight lie, 3 foot gimmes and don’t get me started on when they put one OB off the tee, their next shot is their second.

The game is SO friggin difficult when played by the rules.

if you go to YouTube... Mickelsons shirt game videos are all there. my chipping and putting has really improved listening and practicing as he instructs. 

lastly, I would have NEVER found this thread. we need a way to promote it on the main board , I’m sure a TON of guys would be interested.

I am a  financial advisor so I get to play a few neat courses each year. July 19 I’m playing Primland in Virginia. 

hahahaha - so funny you say that, since I started taking it serious and playing a lot, I wasnt tracking my handicap.  My golf partner the other day told me I need to start because whenever we play a 4some and want to play a game, I'm like a total wild card.  I could shoot low 80's or high 90's.  That said, I had not shot over 90 in a while, so we settled on +10 because I've been pretty consistently hitting in the low 80's (prior to this week my last 5 rounds were 84, 82, 79, 82, 82) But in all honesty, I'm probably a +12-14 because this weekend we play these other 2 guys, and I fell apart and shot a 92 after saying I was a 10.  lol  Pretty embarrassing.  So I'm saying while I'm sayin I'm a +12, it's not really official and it's probably closer to a +14.  I'm definitely not confident claiming a 10.  Needless to say, I'm going to start tracking it now.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

hahahaha - so funny you say that, since I started taking it serious and playing a lot, I wasnt tracking my handicap.  My golf partner the other day told me I need to start because whenever we play a 4some and want to play a game, I'm like a total wild card.  I could shoot low 80's or high 90's.  That said, I had not shot over 90 in a while, so we settled on +10 because I've been pretty consistently hitting in the low 80's (prior to this week my last 5 rounds were 84, 82, 79, 82, 82) But in all honesty, I'm probably a +12-14 because this weekend we play these other 2 guys, and I fell apart and shot a 92 after saying I was a 10.  lol  Pretty embarrassing.  So I'm saying while I'm sayin I'm a +12, it's not really official and it's probably closer to a +14.  I'm definitely not confident claiming a 10.  Needless to say, I'm going to start tracking it now.

Slope matters too....   I never shoot over 90 anymore but 88 86 etc... still occur.  BUT, I don’t take triples. ,

meaning the most I can post is a 6.    rules like that matter, I will meet guys who say they are an 18 but they post 7 and 8 at times.    USGA rules say no. 

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Slope matters too....   I never shoot over 90 anymore but 88 86 etc... still occur.  BUT, I don’t take triples. ,

meaning the most I can post is a 6.    rules like that matter, I will meet guys who say they are an 18 but they post 7 and 8 at times.    USGA rules say no. 

Yep, I didnt know that rule.  I was one of those guys posting snowmans.  And yet still, shot a 92 the other day.  Nightmare round.  1 par on the entire round.  lol

@JiF

@southparkcpa is spot on when he talks about bogus or “vanity”handicaps. The club I belong to has a lot of different leagues, with different rules. I only play in the ones that strictly enforce the proper rules. None of that mulligan, rake the bunker stuff. “Play the corse as you find it, and play the ball down.”

The ones I play in go strictly by the USGA rules. Even to the extent that we don’t play the “drop zones” because they’re usually on the other side of the hazard. We never touch our ball until the green. So I feel safe saying my cap is legit.

one thing I/we do differently then cpa is we’ll enter that 7 or 8 on the card, and turn in that score for competition ranking. Then the club will enter the adjusted, or ESC(equitable scoring) score into the Ghin. So in other words, because I can’t take higher then a 7 , and I shoot a 90 with an 8 on one hole, when figuring out the low net and gross winners, my score is a 90, but they enter it into the ghin as an 89.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Yep, I didnt know that rule.  I was one of those guys posting snowmans.  And yet still, shot a 92 the other day.  Nightmare round.  1 par on the entire round.  lol

You’re always going to have that type of day. Sometimes you just don’t have it. I think you’re doing the right thing by entering that 8 or 9 on your card, just adjust it to a 6 or 7 once you’ve established a handicap.

Scores alone aren’t necessarily what determines your cap. You just played Harbour Town. An 88 there is a better score then an 84 on your local muni. That’s where the slope and course rating come into play, like @southparkcpa said. That 84 might be what an 18 hcap should shoot on the muni, and the 88 at Harbour Town is what a 12 should shoot. It’s complicated, but the system works, lol.

I’m not trying to be an ass, but you’re probably overestimating yourself when you say you’re between a 10 or 12. The ghin determines your cap by taking the best 10 of your most recent 20 scores, taking into account the slope and course rating of each course you play.

I’m up on Long Island until around Labor Day, and I played my first round at Bethpage Park in about 7 years.

We played the Yellow Course, which is the one I played the most when I was “learning” how to golf. I was really looking forward to it, just because it would be a great opportunity to see how much my game had changed now that I’m playing a few times per week.

The score (77) isn’t really indicative of how I played, because they still are working to get the course back to where it was before the PGA in May. Two holes were shortened considerably, and one of them had a temporary green.

I hit the ball okay, but made a few dumb mistakes from 50 yds and in, which cost me a few pars. However I did a lot of things well also, as my “score”attests.

The thing I was looking to see was how the course played now as opposed to back when I was learning I knew I’d be more accurate, but I was very happy to see that I am hitting the ball much further. Holes that seemed tough or too long back then do not anymore.

Its a good feeling to know my game has advanced to a point where I don’t want to play this course again. From now on It will be either the Black or the Red courses if I’m playing Bethpage. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:28 AM, 14 in Green said:

@JiF

@southparkcpa is spot on when he talks about bogus or “vanity”handicaps. The club I belong to has a lot of different leagues, with different rules. I only play in the ones that strictly enforce the proper rules. None of that mulligan, rake the bunker stuff. “Play the corse as you find it, and play the ball down.”

The ones I play in go strictly by the USGA rules. Even to the extent that we don’t play the “drop zones” because they’re usually on the other side of the hazard. We never touch our ball until the green. So I feel safe saying my cap is legit.

one thing I/we do differently then cpa is we’ll enter that 7 or 8 on the card, and turn in that score for competition ranking. Then the club will enter the adjusted, or ESC(equitable scoring) score into the Ghin. So in other words, because I can’t take higher then a 7 , and I shoot a 90 with an 8 on one hole, when figuring out the low net and gross winners, my score is a 90, but they enter it into the ghin as an 89.

Sorry I missed this...I dont know what "rake the bunker" is but I wont lie, I do give myself 1 mulligan on the round.  Other than that, I play it as it lies unless...lol....I hit the fairway and end up in someone's divot, I'm moving my ball or if I'm in play but up against a root, I'm moving my ball.  I'm not improving my position but I'm not trying to break a club or I'm not getting screwed over on a good shot.   Other than that, I'm by the book and my partner keeps me to it.  I'm a ridiculously competitive person so while I may take some liberties, it's not like I'm moving the ball 5 feet to the left to avoid the tree directly in front of me or propping up my lie in the rough.  I see people do that all the time and I dont go there.

I see what you mean on the score and would do the same if we were playing a game for cash or something, for sure.  Well, if I was tracking a handicap.  lol

Shot a 90 on Sunday.  Missed a 10 foot putt to shoot an 89 on 18..

I was hitting the ball great but couldnt make a meaningful putt.  Where the round got away from me was I hit 2 drivers into the water off the tee.  And then twice, I took the trusty old 5 wood out on short par 4's and just popped flyed it 100 yards leaving me with layups., I did not save par on either.  That's how many strokes on 4 swings?  Ugh.  

Love this sport.  Playing Atlantic Beach Country Club tomorrow.  Hard course.  It ate me alive last time...but I'm playing much better than I did a few months ago when I played it.  Cant wait!  Might hit the range tonight to prepare.  Playing with a client, who I think can play a little. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, JiF said:

Playing Atlantic Beach Country Club tomorrow.  Hard course.  It ate me alive last time...but I'm playing much better than I did a few months ago when I played it.  Cant wait!  Might hit the range tonight to prepare.  Playing with a client, who I think can play a little. 

Shot an 82.  Could have easily broke 80 again.  Went in the drink twice. Once on probably the best shot I hit all day.  I was buried deep in the rough, like foot high grass but only need like 150 for 150 in on a par 5.  So grabbed my trusty 9 iron, closed the face a little so I could control it through the grass, hit a beautiful shot, couldnt believe the trajectory and distance but I hit it too good...the water creeped into the fairway and I went in.  The other was on another lay up, i just caught a hill and it rolled right in.  2 feet right, I'm less 100 out on another par 5.  The other mistake, I flubbed a chip shot.  So there you go and I'm in the 70's.  I know you can do that every round but still, so close.

Is there anything more frustrating than going OB or wet on a lay up????  3 jacks drive me crazy.  Flubs and skulls too but I dont know, my blood boils when I screw up a lay up.

This story is amazing.  Brooks Koepka is just a straight up assassin.    He big times Tiger by saying he only practices for majors.  lmfao.  This dude is unreal.  Cant wait to see these guys play this course this week.  It looks like a beast of a course.  It's going to eat some guys alive.  

That said, he didnt call Tiger back because his caddie just happened to grow up on the course.  He just didnt want to give Tiger any secrets.   Still a couple of great soundbytes. 

If you’re going to big-time Tiger Woods, you better have a good excuse. Either that, or you do what Brooks Koepka did and quote Allen Iverson.

Things got awkward Tuesday after Woods said Koepka ignored one of his texts. Woods texted Koepka about playing a practice round together, but Koepka never got back to Woods.

When asked about the snub, Koepka hit Woods with the golf version of A.I.’s “we talking about practice” quote.

Turns out, Koepka only practices before majors. If it’s a regular tournament, he doesn’t practice. Koepka then adds, “If you see me on TV, that’s when I play golf.”

While some may quibble with Koepka’s approach, it has worked out for him. He’s finished either first or second at the Masters, PGA Championship and U.S. Open in 2019.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Shot an 82.  Could have easily broke 80 again.  Went in the drink twice. Once on probably the best shot I hit all day.  I was buried deep in the rough, like foot high grass but only need like 150 for 150 in on a par 5.  So grabbed my trusty 9 iron, closed the face a little so I could control it through the grass, hit a beautiful shot, couldnt believe the trajectory and distance but I hit it too good...the water creeped into the fairway and I went in.  The other was on another lay up, i just caught a hill and it rolled right in.  2 feet right, I'm less 100 out on another par 5.  The other mistake, I flubbed a chip shot.  So there you go and I'm in the 70's.  I know you can do that every round but still, so close.

Is there anything more frustrating than going OB or wet on a lay up????  3 jacks drive me crazy.  Flubs and skulls too but I dont know, my blood boils when I screw up a lay up.

Great playing buddy.

150 yard 9 iron? You’re an animal, lol.

You already sound just like a guy who’s been playing for years... play really well, shoot a great score, and only think about “what could’ve been...” ?pat yourself on the back once in a while For someone who hasn’t t been playing too long, you’re well ahead of the curve. Sounds like you have a lot of talent, just keep enjoying the journey!

• Sympathy 1

Great playing buddy.

150 yard 9 iron? You’re an animal, lol.

You already sound just like a guy who’s been playing for years... play really well, shoot a great score, and only think about “what could’ve been...” ?pat yourself on the back once in a while For someone who hasn’t t been playing too long, you’re well ahead of the curve. Sounds like you have a lot of talent, just keep enjoying the journey!

Thank you!  It's so funny you say that, I was watching woman's golf a few weeks ago and I cant remember the pro but she said one of the things she does while she plays is "she's nice to herself".  She doesnt get angry at herself but instead is encouraging and gives herself compliments.   lol  So funny and simple but so true.  I'm super competitive and I'm harder on myself than anyone else in this world.  

Not sure if you're joking about my 9 iron or not but I dont consider myself a long hitter.  My 9 I typically hit 150-160 (I was shocked I got it 150 out of that grass), 8 160-170 and so on.  The dude I was playing with kept saying I could hit it long and I had potential to be a 1 digit.  He was blown away at how well I was playing the course when just 3 months ago, I shot a 96 out there.  lol  But I dont think I hit it long.  The 2 guys I mostly play with it, hit it loooong.  Like PW's 150-160.  I have to absolutely nut a PW to go 150.  And they both can basically out drive me with their 3 woods and 2 Irons and hybrids.  lol  So IDK if I'm long, short, or average.  This whole time I thought I was short. 

41 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So I just played Primland Golf resort in Virginia. unfriggin believable. 

PLUSH, upscale, hard as heck and beautiful , worth the 250 per round.

Google it.

@JiF

@14 in Green

Just googled it. I’ve never heard about it, but you’re  right, it looks beautiful. Are you staying at the Lodge for a few days, or was it just the one round?

Almost all the golf I play is either in the Myrtle Beach or Long Island areas. I’d love to get out on a “mountain course”. Haven’t played one in quite a while.

BTW How did you play?

On 7/17/2019 at 6:31 PM, JiF said:

Thank you!  It's so funny you say that, I was watching woman's golf a few weeks ago and I cant remember the pro but she said one of the things she does while she plays is "she's nice to herself".  She doesnt get angry at herself but instead is encouraging and gives herself compliments.   lol  So funny and simple but so true.  I'm super competitive and I'm harder on myself than anyone else in this world.  

Not sure if you're joking about my 9 iron or not but I dont consider myself a long hitter.  My 9 I typically hit 150-160 (I was shocked I got it 150 out of that grass), 8 160-170 and so on.  The dude I was playing with kept saying I could hit it long and I had potential to be a 1 digit.  He was blown away at how well I was playing the course when just 3 months ago, I shot a 96 out there.  lol  But I dont think I hit it long.  The 2 guys I mostly play with it, hit it loooong.  Like PW's 150-160.  I have to absolutely nut a PW to go 150.  And they both can basically out drive me with their 3 woods and 2 Irons and hybrids.  lol  So IDK if I'm long, short, or average.  This whole time I thought I was short. 

Uh... no. You’re not. You have some pop.

Its relative to where you play though. I’m almost a club shorter in Myrtle Beach then I am on Long Island. Another variable is the course conditions. You live in Florida, so I’m sure you get a lot of run on baked out fairways. I’m curious, if that the case or not? 

Either way, worry more about your carry distance with your irons more then your total distance. Your short irons are for scoring. Look to be precise, above everything. (Controllable distance is key) 

The guy you played with was right though, you have the distance to be scratch.  It’s hard to teach that. You either have it or you don’t. Enjoy it.

Just googled it. I’ve never heard about it, but you’re  right, it looks beautiful. Are you staying at the Lodge for a few days, or was it just the one round?

Almost all the golf I play is either in the Myrtle Beach or Long Island areas. I’d love to get out on a “mountain course”. Haven’t played one in quite a while.

BTW How did you play?

I drove up... the other guys stayed.  Had a commitment last night. 

This course was breath taking. I shot an 89 which sounds awful but I lost 3 balls.  elevation changes, FAST greens, 3 putted a LOT.  

LOVED the course. 

• Upvote 1