Shopping for TV. Geek input requested.

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Put up the TV finally last night.  Really like it so far.  Bright as f***. 

Yep, the bright room.was the final sell8 g point for me. My family room opens out to a deck the glass doors out take up almost half the wall and get direct sunlight all afternoon

On 8/26/2019 at 9:00 AM, nj meadowlands said:

This was originally the top TV on my list, but I went to a few different stores and it was kind of underwhelming each time I saw it.  Nothing close to the Vizio.

thanks!  always hard to figure that stuff out.  i probably just buy the 750 dollar version and upgrade in a couple of years instead of waiting 8 years like i did for my current tv. 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:25 PM, nj meadowlands said:

So, my 65" Samsung that I bought a few years ago recently went to sh*t, and for reasons I don't want to get into  and which would cause a massive spike in my blood pressure, they have totally screwed me over, and now I am in the market to imminently buy a TV.

I am torn between sticking with 65" and getting the best technology that's in my price range (LG OLED), or taking a slight step down in the tech so I can go up to 75" (one that I've been looking at is the Vizio P Series Quantum.  As far as usage, I am more of a brightly lit room, watching sports kind of guy than a dark room movie watcher.  The wall that I'm putting this thing on screams for a very large TV, so that is not a concern.

Has anyone gone through this song and dance recently?  Any advice?  Am I more likely to regret not sizing up, or not getting the OLED?

Would appreciate any insight or recommendations.  No Samsung.

Absolutely NO to samsung.  Maybe it was tops 15 years ago, but not even close today. 

It was time to trash the very old 55" samsung LCD.   I recently was faced with the same decision: 65" OLED (for that the best is LG by far) or a 75" LED (for that, I think the Sony is the best).  The room is huge.  We got a better deal on the Sony XF900 75" than on the awesome LG 65" OLED.  If the room weren't so big, I would definitely had gone with the LG OLED.  Best choice by far and the 77" LG OLED is unaffordable for me.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:10 PM, jetstream23 said:

I'm in a similar situation with a somewhat bright room.  Converting what was the kids "game room" into a bit of a man cave / theater room over the next 4-8 weeks.  It's not a huge room but I can get some home theater seats in there and I was struggling between getting a projector vs. a TV.  Long story short, I'm zeroing in on an 85" Samsung model after looking at both Sony and LG.  One of the keys for me is that the Samsung seems to deal better with bright rooms and has less glare.  I looked at Rtings.com but also did a subjective test myself in stores like Best Buy, essentially using their own bright ceiling lights as a barometer.  Just standing in front of a screen, bending down a bit so that I could see the large lights on their ceiling I could compare from TV to TV which did a better job reducing glare, blurring the reflection, etc.

I'm in the homestretch and looking at both 2018 and 2019 models.  Out of curiosity, what models did you guys go with?  I might pull the trigger around Labor Day assuming there will be some sales going on.

For me, the Samsunfgs colors were totally artificial and technicolor-ish.  Much prefer the Sony for LED and the LG for OLED.  But the only LG OLED bigger than 65" is the super high priced 77".  Ive been told that for bright rooms, you are better off LED than OLED, but I don't trust that's true.  I wound up with the 75" Sony, which when viewed side-by-side with a similarly sized LED Samsung, it was no contest in both my and my wife's eyes.  But we have had nothing but Samsungs in our house for over a decade and it is so refreshing to see reality in the colors again.  But for 85", who knows?  That's a large set, my friend.  Enjoy!!!!!!!

If you need a smaller TV for smaller rooms, strongly consider the LG OLEDs.  (Sony OLEDs are good too, but LG better value and quality.  Samsung behind those two for OLED, IMO)

• Upvote 2

On 8/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, jetstream23 said:

LOL.  Agree or disagree with him, like him or not....SAR does bring some knowledge in this area.  I remember discussing plasma technology with him on JI back in the 2002 timeframe.

He has been very helpful to me in the past with tech knowledge.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

For me, the Samsunfgs colors were totally artificial and technicolor-ish.  Much prefer the Sony for LED and the LG for OLED.  But the only LG OLED bigger than 65" is the super high priced 77".  Ive been told that for bright rooms, you are better off LED than OLED, but I don't trust that's true.  I wound up with the 75" Sony, which when viewed side-by-side with a similarly sized LED Samsung, it was no contest in both my and my wife's eyes.  But we have had nothing but Samsungs in our house for over a decade and it is so refreshing to see reality in the colors again.  But for 85", who knows?  That's a large set, my friend.  Enjoy!!!!!!!

If you need a smaller TV for smaller rooms, strongly consider the LG OLEDs.  (Sony OLEDs are good too, but LG better value and quality.  Samsung behind those two for OLED, IMO)

Love Sony but the glare is a problem. I did some testing and the Samsungs were better, not by a ton but enough to matter in a large room with lots of windows.

It will be a quasi-theater room so I need a large screen. 82” or 85” most likely. Believe it or not you can get a decent one for under $3,000 or $3,500. A projector won’t really work because of the orientation of the room and a vaulted ceiling. I’ll check out the LGs. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Love Sony but the glare is a problem. I did some testing and the Samsungs were better, not by a ton but enough to matter in a large room with lots of windows.

It will be a quasi-theater room so I need a large screen. 82” or 85” most likely. Believe it or not you can get a decent one for under $3,000 or $3,500. A projector won’t really work because of the orientation of the room and a vaulted ceiling. I’ll check out the LGs. 

the only LGs that are good are the OLEDs.  The LG LEDs were inferior to Samsung, which in turn were highly inferior to the Sony's.  But in the new world of OLED, I love the LGs. The consensus seems to be they are the best.  Anyway, I doubt you are shopping for an 85 inch OLED.  It would cost at least $8,000 to 10,000 range if it exists.   I think the LG 77" OLED is list price at 8,000 or thereabouts.  With a Best Buy employee discount (I have a close relative there) I could have had it for a bit more $5,000.  Instead I used the employee discount on my 75" Sony 900F, and got it for $1634 + tax + $220 for the employee extended warranty (will replace/repair for 5 yrs no matter what).

Now I'm just waiting for the family room to get painted and for my electrician to haul his lazy ass over here and mount with drop down hard wired connections for multiple inputs.  Finally, I need a subwoofer and new integrated amp to go with my new brand new Bowers & Wilkins 704's   The best thing about audio....  the Best Buy employee discount cuts the retail by 45%, unlike TVs.  This was supposed to all be done weeks ago.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...