A study on NYJ drafting record as compared to the NFL

NYJ1

I did a little searching and found an article that talks specifically about the number of players drafted by a team that are still on that team today. For what it's worth the study refers to years 2011 through 2015, not today. However, I'd imagine the numbers haven't changed much in the last 4 years.

The league 5 year average for players drafted by the same team is 27 or approximately 51% of the 53 man roster with the Green Bay Packers having the largest amount (35) in that period (2011-2015). It really speaks to how well the Packers draft. Over the period in question, the Packers won on average of almost 11 games per season with the largest amount of home grown players.

The Jets current percentage today is 15, or 28%. 13 from the Mike MacCagnan era, one from the John Idzik era (Brian Winters), and one remaining from the Mike Tannenbaum era (Bilal Powell).

So while the current number by the Jets is far below the current league average, the current overwhelming belief by fans of the team (that makes sense, those fans, because the NYJ are their favorite team, know more about their team than others) is that the team is very weak talent wise. So even in the limited number of players drafted by NYJ, they are NOT considered to be very good players?

So this is my amateur attempt at measuring the front office's success/failure rate compared to the rest of the league. To put some concrete numbers on the NYJ drafting failures.

JMO, but these numbers pretty much prove what Jets fans have been claiming (including myself) for a while now. That is, the Jets as an organization, has been far below average when it comes to drafting and thus has also suffered in the win/loss column. 

The worst team in that 2011-2015 period is the New Orleans Saints with just 20 players from that 5 year average. However, even the worst team in that period at just 37% is still substantially higher than the Jets today 15.

In 2018, the Jets had 23 players drafted by our very prestigious GM's (43%) Our record was 4-12. In 2017, the Jets had 22 home grown players or 42%. Their record was 5-11. In 2016, 23 or 43%. Their record was 5-11. In 2015, 23, (43%), their record was 10-6.

Well also if you have one great team changing draft that can cover for numbers.  The Saints 2017 draft was as good as it gets.

I keep waiting for the Jets to have that one team change draft.  The last one they had I would say would be 2006.

DBrick

Mangold

Brad Smith

Leon Washington

Eric Smith

This team desperately needs a D'Brick, Mangold type of draft.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well also if you have one great team changing draft that can cover for numbers.  The Saints 2017 draft was as good as it gets.

I keep waiting for the Jets to have that one team change draft.  The last one they had I would say would be 2006.

DBrick

Mangold

Brad Smith

Leon Washington

Eric Smith

That draft is what dreams are made of 

9 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

One GM was our 5th and possibly last option (Idzik), after we were turned down by all the others

and the other was found after Casserly’s supposed “exhaustive” search, turned out an obscure scout crony of his

not shocking that they were 2 horrible GMs

Yep.  If you have options (either immediate or perceived options down the road), you're pretty much not coming here to work for the Johnson's.  

Douglas probably had options down the road, but seemingly came here because of Gase.  So there's some hope there.  It may not be the best reason to end up the Jets GM, but it's different compared to our last several hires.  

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

DBrick

Mangold

Brad Smith

Leon Washington

Eric Smith

I've been clamoring for this for years. And it deserves being mentioned again.... The 2006 draft was a TEAM CHANGING draft. It was the catapult that set the Jets up for their lofty success in 2009/2010. However, the Jets haven't even come close in any draft afterwards right up until today.

29 minutes ago, TxJetfan said:

100% agree! I'm looking forward to Douglas' 1st draft. That might tell us if we finally found a real GM, or are we in for more torture!

That will tell us what kind of GM we have. For me, that's the job. That's where the rubber hits the road. If you can't draft talent CONSISTENTLY, not just once in a while, then you have no business being a GM. That's about 90% of the job.

Archived