Cimini article on Abe and Jets

faba

Abraham may Jet out of N.Y.

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jets defensive end John Abraham, confused by the direction of the organization and upset that it seemingly doesn't consider him part of the long-term plan, has told friends that he wants to play elsewhere.

"He wants to get the hell out of New York," a person close to Abraham said yesterday. "He's pretty upset."

Abraham, eligible to become a free agent on March 3, might get his wish. The Jets still haven't had substantive contract talks with Abraham, and there appears to be no chance of signing him to a long-term deal by the start of free agency, according to several industry sources.

The Jets have until Feb. 23 to decide whether to use the franchise tag on Abraham for the second straight year. The prevailing theory is that they will use the tag for the purpose of trading him, but there are serious salary-cap implications that might force the Jets to simply let him hit the open market. No matter how it plays out, Abraham probably has played his last game with the Jets.

Abraham's future is one of many hot issues facing the Jets' new regime. They already have approached Chad Pennington about taking an $8 million pay cut.

As expected, the club also has opened talks with Curtis Martin about reworking his contract (read: significant pay reduction), according to a person familiar with the situation.

Martin, 32, coming off his worst season and knee surgery, will count $8.1 million on the salary cap, which includes $6.2 million in base salary. The Jets would clear $2.4million in cap room by cutting the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher.

Despite a Hall of Fame-caliber resume, Martin isn't untouchable, although it's believed the Jets would like to have him back in a reduced role.

Several veterans will be asked to accept pay cuts, as the Jets are about $26 million over the projected cap ($92million). Several players are expected to be released, including Ty Law, Jay Fiedler, Jason Fabini, Pete Kendall and, possibly, Kevin Mawae.

The Jets are rebuilding, and they appear poised to do it without their most prolific pass rusher.

Abraham, disgruntled last season while playing on a one-year, $6.7 million contract (the designated amount for a franchise defensive end), is believed to be seeking at least $18 million in guarantees. In December, he said he wanted a long-term deal, whether it was with the Jets or another team.

The previous regime didn't believe Abraham was worth that kind of money, and apparently neither does the new brain trust - and Abraham is bitter.

"He feels like they don't respect him," the person close to him said.

Conventional wisdom says the Jets can use the franchise tag for the purpose of trading him, but that would eat up another $8 million in cap space. That would necessitate clearing $34 million by March 3, and industry sources believe the Jets will be hard-pressed to do that by March 3.

If the Jets can't afford to tag him, Abraham would be a free man. Abraham is said to be dreading the prospect of getting the franchise designation.

The tag him/trade him scenario also could backfire if Abraham actually signs the $8 million franchise tender when it's presented. (In 2005, he waited until August.) Because of complicated cap implications, that would hurt the chances of a trade, a piece of leverage Abraham's agents probably will use. But there is a wild card. The circumstances could change if a new collective bargaining agreement is put into place before the start of free agency. A new CBA would increase the salary cap and could change the rules for franchise players.

Good.

Get the crybaby / often injuried prick outta here. We don't need him as long as Ellis losses some pounds and plays like the Ellis of 03 / 04 alongside BT on the other end...but it does make getting a NT much more important to help out the line.

The Jets have until Feb. 23 to decide whether to use the franchise tag on Abraham for the second straight year. The prevailing theory is that they will use the tag for the purpose of trading him, but there are serious salary-cap implications that might force the Jets to simply let him hit the open market. No matter how it plays out, Abraham probably has played his last game with the Jets.

We cannot just let him walk, that would be something Herm and Co. would do. If this new regime wants to make any sort of positive impression they better handle this one with care.

Good.

Get the crybaby / often injuried prick outta here. We don't need him as long as Ellis losses some pounds and plays like the Ellis of 03 / 04 alongside BT on the other end...but it does make getting a NT much more important to help out the line.

yea but don't forget BIG MONEY Ellis played like crap last season after signing his big deal..and that was with Abe next to him for 16 games...how bad will he play in a non-contract season again with Bryan Thomas there instead

all you guys that want Abe gone because he is a cry baby, often hurt or whatever else your reasons are..thats your right to feel that way but if he is gone next year and the D-Line sucks worse then it did this past year, don't come back here blaming the FO for letting him go...he is a known commodity as far as a pass rusher, there aren't too many of them you can just pick up off the street

yea but don't forget BIG MONEY Ellis played like crap last season after signing his big deal..and that was with Abe next to him for 16 games...how bad will he play in a non-contract season again with Bryan Thomas there instead

all you guys that want Abe gone because he is a cry baby, often hurt or whatever else your reasons are..thats your right to feel that way but if he is gone next year and the D-Line sucks worse then it did this past year, don't come back here blaming the FO for letting him go...he is a known commodity as far as a pash rusher, there aren't too many of them you can just pick up off the street

Oh no worries from me complaining. I've wanted Abe gone since the end of 04. Last year's performance of his did nothing to change my mind. He was healthy when we were 4-12, big deal...what about when we're in the playoffs? It's Bryan Thomas in the games that matter anyway so why not just have him the starter? That's my view on it. Also, I've seen a consistent upgrade in BT's play each year and I think he can get a good 7-8 sacks along with being a better run stuffer then Abe.

The team will not let him just walk away - no front office could be that incompetent-he still is the one playmaker we have on defense given his faults. The best scenerio is to tag and trade him for as much as we can get back

Oh no worries from me complaining. I've wanted Abe gone since the end of 04. Last year's performance of his did nothing to change my mind. He was healthy when we were 4-12, big deal...what about when we're in the playoffs? It's Bryan Thomas in the games that matter anyway so why not just have him the starter? That's my view on it. Also, I've seen a consistent upgrade in BT's play each year and I think he can get a good 7-8 sacks along with being a better run stuffer then Abe.

Abe helped get us to the playoffs to begin with, BT can't do that..and we may havew won a few more games last year if BIG MONEY ELLIS showed up more..

BT will NEVER be the pass rusher Abe is, if you think otherwise you haven't been paying attention

but again you are entitled to your views, I just don't agree

Abe helped get us to the playoffs to begin with, BT can't do that..and we may havew won a few more games last year if BIG MONEY ELLIS showed up more..

BT will NEVER be the pass rusher Abe is, if you think otherwise you haven't been paying attention

but again you are entitled to your views, I just don't agree

Jets new defense wont need superstars. They'll play a scheme defense.

A TEAM DEFENSE! What superstars did the Pats have during their SB run?

Jets will be a scheme defense. There's no need for an injury prone sissy with a huge cap number on this team anymore. We might be worse off next year without Abraham, but 2-3 years down the road we will be happy that we gave him the boot.

Jets new defense wont need superstars. They'll play a scheme defense.

A TEAM DEFENSE! What superstars did the Pats have during their SB run?

Jets will be a scheme defense. There's no need for an injury prone sissy with a huge cap number on this team anymore. We might be worse off next year without Abraham, but 2-3 years down the road we will be happy that we gave him the boot.

I'm sure a few years back that Milloy was considered by the fans to be as integral to the defense/whole team as Abe is by many Jets fans now.

all you guys that want Abe gone because he is a cry baby, often hurt or whatever else your reasons are..thats your right to feel that way but if he is gone next year and the D-Line sucks worse then it did this past year, don't come back here blaming the FO for letting him go...he is a known commodity as far as a pass rusher, there aren't too many of them you can just pick up off the street

Ellis was awful last year because Herm didn't care that he was way overweight. That won't happen with Mangini in charge.

Archived