80's "I need fantasy assistance" thread

Jetsfan80

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Seriously, thanks for the alternative reasoning.  It's always good to hear.  Made me re-think.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In the long run, the principles @PS17 have been advocating work, even in a game like fantasy football where there’s only 18 weeks and the margin for error is razor thin.

I used to be risk averse and target almost only the high floor, lower risk guys.  And while your team is unlikely to crash and burn that way, you’ll never contend and that’s what would always seem to happen to me.  

As @jgb has talked anbout often….Humans are conditioned to be highly risk averse because of millions of years of evolutionary programming.  And while that risk aversion kept the species going it now serves as a detriment in an arena like a mostly skill + some luck-based game like fantasy sports.

More to this point:  The RB “Dead Zone” exists primarily because of what I’m talking about with the risk aversion stuff.  Everyone wants a 3-down bellcow.  So much so that people end up reaching for a back purely because he has little competition for touches rather than drafting a RB for his skillset.

We see it every year.  The posterchild the last couple years was Najee Harris, who had 300-touch potential but does little with it.  You had to use a high pick on him and thus he became a “poison pill” for your roster.

Fantasy GMs have finally grown wise to the “dead zone”, pushing RB ADPs down, but there’s still a few like that this season.  Josh Jacobs is flying up boards with the AJ Dillon injury news.  Ill-advised.  Joe Mixon is a 275+ touch darling.  I dunno about that - he’s a poor fit for the Houston zone-blocking scheme and you might see a guy like Cam Akers steal more touches than you think.  And we all know @Lurker89 loves him some Zamir White, lol.  (Sorry buddy - had to!)

51 minutes ago, Dcat said:

KC roster has 3 slot WRs: Rice, JuJu, Hardman.  And, oh yeah, Kelce.

WIdeouts are Hollywood and Worthy.   Mouths to feed there.  Kelce is the anchor.  Not stacking with Rice.  It's not a matter of "all-in" on KC or not. It's just not practical with that roster. 

^^^ I know you went with Rashee, but wanted to point out the risk aversion thinking you talked about here.  

Yes, there are lots of mouths to feed, but think of it this way:  Any one of those WRs will smash their depressed ADPs if one of the other WRs gets hurt.  Hell, if I’m you, I’m looking to grab Worthy and/or Hollywood at the right price later.  

I love Tank Dell for this reason too:  The community assumes Tank will be the odd man out among the Houston trio but I don’t buy it.  Theres room for all 3 to eat and Stroud LOVES him some Tank.  

I could also easily see Diggs flipping out as he realizes he wont dominate the target share like he did in Buffalo.  Would it even surprise you if Diggs tries to shoot his way out of town by the trade deadline?  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

More to this point:  The RB “Dead Zone” exists primarily because of what I’m talking about with the risk aversion stuff.  Everyone wants a 3-down bellcow.  So much so that people end up reaching for a back purely because he has little competition for touches rather than drafting a RB for his skillset.

We see it every year.  The posterchild the last couple years was Najee Harris, who had 300-touch potential but does little with it.  You had to use a high pick on him and thus he became a “poison pill” for your roster.

Fantasy GMs have finally grown wise to the “dead zone”, pushing RB ADPs down, but there’s still a few like that this season.  Josh Jacobs is flying up boards with the AJ Dillon injury news.  Ill-advised.  Joe Mixon is a 275+ touch darling.  I dunno about that - he’s a poor fit for the Houston zone-blocking scheme and you might see a guy like Cam Akers steal more touches than you think.  And we all know @Lurker89 loves him some Zamir White, lol.  (Sorry buddy - had to!)

Yeah, **** Zamir White 

• Haha 1

@Dcat

Kelce is 35 year old fade at cost for me... I SAID AT COST PEOPLE CALM DOWN.

but I'm an ageist f*ck... same age as me and im like get this old f**k away from my team. 

That being said he will still be a top 5 TE this year unless he falls off an age cliff so my hate is less than warranted... Mahomes could pass for 50 TDs this year between Kelce Rice Worthy Hollywood etc. Its been along time since he has had this many options. They ar4 all gonna eat.

Yes some hyperbole...

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

^^^ I know you went with Rashee, but wanted to point out the risk aversion thinking you talked about here.  

Yes, there are lots of mouths to feed, but think of it this way:  Any one of those WRs will smash their depressed ADPs if one of the other WRs gets hurt.  Hell, if I’m you, I’m looking to grab Worthy and/or Hollywood at the right price later.  

I love Tank Dell for this reason too:  The community assumes Tank will be the odd man out among the Houston trio but I don’t buy it.  Theres room for all 3 to eat and Stroud LOVES him some Tank.  

I could also easily see Diggs flipping out as he realizes he wont dominate the target share like he did in Buffalo.  Would it even surprise you if Diggs tries to shoot his way out of town by the trade deadline?  

I'm  a big Dell fan.  His TD catch in the preseason game was a thing of beauty.  I have a little "taco" bet on him at over 7.5 TDs this year .  They didn't need Diggs.  Already saw a video of Diggs in Stroud's ear complaining about something.  Odd man out in Houston will be Schultz.  Do not draft.  My favorite last roundish TE is Jonnu Smith. If only that offense used the TE.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm  a big Dell fan.  His TD catch in the preseason game was a thing of beauty.  I have a little "taco" bet on him at over 7.5 TDs this year .  They didn't need Diggs.  Already saw a video of Diggs in Stroud's ear complaining about something.  Odd man out in Houston will be Schultz.  Do not draft.  My favorite last roundish TE is Jonnu Smith. If only that offense used the TE.  

I hated the Diggs trade for Houston. That offense was primed to be elite without him and he’s an absolute cancer, especially for a young QB. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I hope you’re right, as I have Kelce in my main dynasty league. My hunch is KC uses him lightly in the regular season and saves him for the playoffs, as they did down the stretch. And obviously he has serious target competition now, as opposed to the last two years. And the whole age cliff thing. 

Not to mention the whole 'women weaken the legs' thing.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Opinions requested

League:  Full PPR, 12 team.  slow draft:   I'm OTC in round 5.
My roster so far is: Lamb, Jacobs, Kelce, Mahomes.   

Was thinking RB here, for which I have narrowed down to these 2 RBs:   Aaron Jones or James Conner?  I have 90 minutes OTC to decide.

The available WRs here are Cooper, Higgins, McLaurin, Rice, Dell.

Maybe go that direction instead of RB?  Need some advice

@PS17 @Jetsfan80 @Lurker89 @RedBeardedSavage @jgb @nycdan and anyone else

EDIT:   I'm an idiot.  Mahomes and Kelce have week 6 byes.  So does Aaron Jones.  So there's a reason to not draft Jones. 

Rice or Higgins.

I get ya got Mahomes and Kelce, but if there was an offense in this league I’m happy to be perpetually over-invested-in - it’s the Reid/Mahomes Chiefs.

Rice is an absolute steal, even if it’s only for 10 games and the legal problems catchup later in the year. Word from camp is Rice has picked up right where they left off end-of-last-year.

I also love the Bengals offense this year. Burrow is a health risk seemingly always, but Higgins is in a contract year, their schedule is one of the best in the NFL, and when the big 3 on that team are healthy, they cook. 

Both offenses are serious contenders for #1 in the league. Not like “ooo, maybe the Texans” - naa, I’m talking about likely candidates.

just my .02 cents 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hey ... I'm probably wrong ... bros just a my guy I like to root for who I think is a decent young back be given a workload albeit it on a bad offense.... a my guy i have 0 shares of between all leagues at this point. Shows my conviction.😂

Getting Kyren and a third for Zamir and Jamo has a chance to go down as an all time fleece.

If he fails  to reach the RB2/3 line im sure my take will live on in infamy and I will happily eat my crow.

However if he hits I will be sure to constantly remind everyone 😜.

• Haha 1

@Jetsfan80

The new ploy is send JSN/Daniels get Tee/Mayfield... the guy is starting Aaron at the moment... f**ked up his QB situation.

I might just try to move laterally into Addison 

God forbid I practice some patience and follow through with plan A of sitting on JSN.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

@Jetsfan80

The new ploy is send JSN/Daniels get Tee/Mayfield... the guy is starting Aaron at the moment... f**ked up his QB situation.

I might just try to move laterally into Addison 

God forbid I practice some patience and follow through with plan A of sitting on JSN.

You’re a madman!  

• Upvote 1

Irony:  After picking Rice at 5.3 (Dell was available), 18 picks later at 6.10 I took Dell. Couldn't believe he fell to me.

Lamb, Jacobs, Kelce, Mahomes, Rice, Dell.....

7.3 coming up in 4 picks.  I need a RB. 

Moss, Mostert, Brian Robinson, Jerome Ford are there. We'll see in 4 picks.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Irony:  After picking Rice at 5.3 (Dell was available), 18 picks later at 6.10 I took Dell. Couldn't believe he fell to me.

I vote BRob

Or 

Ford 

😘

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

19 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I vote BRob Or Ford

Moss was taken.  Mostert, Robinson, Ford still there.  As much as I like Robinson's  talent, the Commanders are terrible offense with a bad OL and a QB who will run in the red zone.  Good players on bad teams usually don't work out well in fantasy.  Mostert is the better combination of talent on a good team I think.  Leaning Mostert.  I have time to decide, anyone's opinion is welcomed.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

I vote BRob

Or 

Ford 

😘

I got both Rice and Dell in my draft last night!  It’s a good feeling. 😊

Here’s how I’d rank those 4 options, with my rationale for each:

1.  Mostert

I want all the Dolphins RBs this year.  Yes, even old-a$$ Mostert.  His ADP is way too low for both what he offers as a standalone option and as a “smash play” should Achahe get hurt.  Gimme Jaylen Wright later, too.

2.  Robinson

He’ll get work siphoned by Daniels’ scrambling, but that gets mitigated by the offense being better than expected overall.  

3.  Moss

Strongly prefer Chase Brown out of the Cincy backfield, but the hate has gone a bit too far when it comes to Moss’ ADP.  He’ll get plenty of early down work, and if anything happens to Brown he becomes the 3-down guy, as I don’t see much competition behind the 2.  

4.  Ford

While I’m tempted to recommend Ford as a nice early season salve to your RB2 blues, it’s hard to recommend him this early in your draft as he loses all utility the moment Chubb returns.  I’m also not fully convinced he has the backfield all to himself prior to Chubb’s return, either.  D’Onta Foreman and Pierre Strong will definitely get worked in.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  Mostert

I want all the Dolphins RBs this year.  Yes, even old-a$$ Mostert.  His ADP is way too low for both what he offers as a standalone option and 

2.  Robinson

He’ll get work siphoned by Daniels’ scrambling, but that gets mitigated by the offense being better than expected overall.  

3.  Moss

Strongly prefer Chase Brown out of the Cincy backfield, but the hate has gone a bit too far when it comes to Moss’ ADP.  He’ll get plenty of early down work, and if anything happens to Brown he becomes the 3-down guy, as I don’t see much competition behind the 2.  

4.  Ford

While I’m tempted to recommend Ford as a nice early season salve to your RB2 blues, it’s hard to recommend him this early in your draft as he loses all utility the moment Chubb returns.  I’m also not fully convinced he has the backfield all to himself prior to Chubb’s return, either.  D’Onta Foreman and Pierre Strong will definitely get worked in.

Agree with this order and I'd just narrow it down more to 1. Mostert, 2. Brian Robinson.

Any piece of the Miami running game is a good dice roll, and I'd even consider doubling down later for Jaylen Wright. 

Robinson could be the Alfred Morris for Daniels or the James Conner for a Kliff Kingsbury scheme. So I think there's some upside there as well.

But if Mike McDaniels has proven anything, it's that his scheme will yield massive amounts of rushing yards and touchdowns. 

I have no idea how that backfield is going to play out this year, but I'd be drafting pieces of that backfield anywhere I can.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  Mostert

I want all the Dolphins RBs this year.  Yes, even old-a$$ Mostert.  His ADP is way too low for both what he offers as a standalone option and 

2.  Robinson

3.  Moss

4.  Ford

On Mostert... I'm  an ageist

On Ford.... when Chubb come back from his 9th major knee injury he's gonna be full form and ruin Fords life????

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Pierre Strong and Donta dont scare me...

Chubb squatting is one thing running cutting jamming  etc is another.

24 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Moss was taken.  Mostert, Robinson, Ford still there.  As much as I like Robinson's  talent, the Commanders are terrible offense with a bad OL and a QB who will run in the red zone.  Good players on bad teams usually don't work out well in fantasy.  

Counter to popular opinion, RBs on bad teams don’t perform as poorly as you would expect.  That said, the ability to catch passes and playing with a non-mobile QB helps those backs (as they become checkdown machines) and neither of those factors are in Robinson’s favor.  

Still, as I mentioned in my post above this one, that shouldn’t dissuade you from Robinson as I expect the Commander offense to exceed expectations.  

All that said, I do like Mostert more than Robinson, but either would be fine picks.  

14 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

On Mostert... I'm  an ageist

On Ford.... when Chubb come back from his 9th major knee injury he's gonna be full form and ruin Fords life????

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Pierre Strong and Donta dont scare me...

Chubb squatting is one thing running cutting jamming  etc is another.

Chubb is much closer to an AP-esque cyborg than he is to your standard back coming off injury.  Yes, I think he’ll ruin Ford’s life, lol.

At minimum I think Ford’s ADP is grossly inflated right now.  We all knew Chubb would miss about half the season, yet the news that Chubb would go on PUP sent Ford’s ADP skyrocketing?  Why?  This wasn’t news….

Mostert and Robinson deserve to be considerations in this range.  Ford should go 1-2 rounds later.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Agree with this order and I'd just narrow it done more to 1. Mostert, 2. Brian Robinson.

Any piece of the Miami running game is a good dice roll, and I'd even consider doubling down later for Jaylen Wright. 

Yuppp.  Like I said I want all Dolphins RBs and that includes Wright.  He’s a track star-type back with good size who will flourish in the system as soon as he gets the chance.  

In my first draft last night I got Achane, barely missed out on Mostert, and only it being a 10-team league kept me from taking Wright late (I got Charbonnet as my final non-D or K pick).  Wright is my # 1 waiver guy right now and will be mine as soon as a roster spot frees up due to injury or whatever.  

• Upvote 1

@Dcat just realized I didn’t finish my Mostert rationale, lol.  Edited my post above but here’s the full paragraph I meant to post:

1.  Mostert

I want all the Dolphins RBs this year.  Yes, even old-a$$ Mostert.  His ADP is way too low for both what he offers as a standalone option and as a “smash play” should Achahe get hurt.  Gimme Jaylen Wright later, too.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chubb is much closer to an AP-esque cyborg than he is to your standard back coming off injury.  Yes, I think he’ll ruin Ford’s life, lol.

At minimum I think Ford’s ADP is grossly inflated right now.  We all knew Chubb would miss about half the season, yet the news that Chubb would go on PUP sent Ford’s ADP skyrocketing?  Why?  This wasn’t news….

Fully agree this wasn't news ... but I dont think Chubbs gonna be right this year period. Smart play is avoiding the situation al together 

I was shocked to see Ford go as early as he did last night.. when last week he was going as RB38 ... a price i have no problem paying for a guy who will lead his backfield for half the year and who could lead it all year barring a 29 year old multi knee injury vet coming back at superhuman levels. Yes if anyone could do it Chubb could but JFC with how some people regard him you'd think he was a folk legend 😜

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Fully agree this wasn't news ... but I dont think Chubbs gonna be right this year period. Smart play is avoiding the situation al together 

I was shocked to see Ford go as early as he did last night.. when last week he was going as RB38 ... a price i have no problem paying for a guy who will lead his backfield for half the year and who could lead it all year barring a 29 year old multi knee injury vet coming back at superhuman levels. Yes if anyone could do it Chubb could but JFC with how some people regard him you'd think he was a folk legend 😜

A 4-year run of 4 straight Pro Bowls, 90+ yards per game and a total of 40 rushing TDs in that span for a franchise with a not-so-great history is pretty folks-legendy though, you have to admit!  He’s scored a sh*t-ton of fantasy pts for a guy who doesn’t catch passes.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A 4-year run of 4 straight Pro Bowls, 90+ yards per game and a total of 40 rushing TDs in that span for a franchise with a not-so-great history is pretty folks legendy though, you have to admit!  He scores a sh*t-ton of fantasy pts for a guy who doesn’t catch passes.  

Amen Nick Chubb was the truth...one of the best pure rushers of the ball we've seen. 

He may still be but this is a herculean task in front of him.

If he comes back from this at 29 and goes on to another great season in 25 burying my one share of Jerome Ford in dynasty I won't eevn be mad.

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2024 at 9:28 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

@Lurker89 @PS17 @jgb just wrapped up 10-team, 1 PPR, 2 Flex spot league's draft on ESPN.  Here were my picks:

• 1.5:  WR Justin Jefferson
  • 2.16:  RB Jahmyr Gibbs
  • 3.25:  RB De'Von Achane
  • 4.36:  WR Jaylen Waddle
  • 5.45:  WR DeVonta Smith
  • 6.56:  WR Tank Dell
  • 7.65:  WR Rashee Rice
  • 8.76:  TE Kyle Pitts  (@RedBeardedSavage got him!)
  • 9.85:  QB Kyler Murray
  • 10.96:  RB Tony Pollard
  • 11.105:  QB Jayden Daniels
  • 12.116:  WR DeAndre Hopkins
  • 13.125:  RB Blake Corum
  • 14.136:  WR Jameson Williams
  • 15.145:  RB Zach Charbonnet
  • 16.156:  D/ST Bengals
  • 17.165:  K Greg Zuerlein

Weak RB depth aside, I think I did quite well.  Kept hammering away at WRs because I simply couldn't pass on the value that kept falling to me (thanks ESPN ranks!)  With the 2 Flex spots I'll be able to start 4 WRs a week so...why not?

Top players available on waivers per my board:

1. RB Jaylen Wright
  2. WR Romeo Doubs
  3. RB Rico Dowdle
  4. RB Ray Davis
  5. QB Jared Goff
  6. RB Bucky Irving
  7. RB Jordan Mason
  8. RB Braelon Allen
  9. RB Khalil Herbert
  10. RB Marshawn Lloyd
  11. RB Kimani Vidal
  12. RB Tyrone Tracy
  13. RB Cam Akers
  14. RB Tank Bigsby
  15. TE Taysom Hill

I just put in a waiver claim for Wright, would drop Greg the Leg if it goes thru.  Sorry Greg!  I’ll pick you back up when I can!

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Mostert 

-tier break-

Robinson

-tier break-

Ford

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Dcat just realized I didn’t finish my Mostert rationale, lol.  Edited my post above but here’s the full paragraph I meant to post:

1.  Mostert

I ******* brain farted and took Jaylen Warren over Mostert in the JN Fantasy league. I’m sooooo ******* pissed at myself. How dumb am I. 

Now I have to play RB2 roulette between Warren, Gus Edwards, Rico Dowdle, Jaleel McLaughlin, Jordan Mason, and Bucky Irving. barf

The rest of my team better be elite. 

This is what happens when you do best ball drafts all summer and develop Zero RB Brain Rot.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PS17 said:

I ******* brain farted and took Jaylen Warren over Mostert in the JN Fantasy league. I’m sooooo ******* pissed at myself. How dumb am I. 

Now I have to play RB2 roulette between Warren, Gus Edwards, Rico Dowdle, Jaleel McLaughlin, Jordan Mason, and Bucky Irving. barf

This is what happens when you do best ball drafts all summer and develop Zero RB Brain Rot.

I actually like Warren more than Mostert.  And I’m high on Mostert.  

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  Mostert

2.  Robinson

3.  Moss

4.  Ford

took Mostert.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, PS17 said:

Best ball brain rot is a real problem  as is dynasty Jets fans are the best... both great for keeping me tapped in year round but need to be reeled in when looking at redraft.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lurker89 said:

Best ball brain rot is a real problem  as is dynasty Jets fans are the best... both great for keeping me tapped in year round but need to be reeled in when looking at redraft.

I was disciplined in all my mocks and got two good RBs. Went out the window when the real draft happened. 

• Haha 1