Any Chance The Jets Keep Darnold AND Draft Lawrence?

PCP63

6 hours ago, varjet said:

Sam will already be paid backup money in 2021.  
I would trade him for at least a 3rd. Otherwise keep as backup.  

With the Jets luck we hire Harbaugh, draft Trevor, have a wonderful offseason and then Trevor tears up his knee in the preseason.

Keep Sam

In year 4 Sam is due about 10 mil which in this market isn’t that much. But if they draft Lawrence wouldn’t a guy like Flacco be a better fit as backup maybe short term starter. IMO if we do draft Lawrence the mistake would be to not give him adequate tools to be successful. We might have some skill position players for him (but not enough) on this roster but we have some extra high draft picks and I’d concentrate on the O line. You don’t commit to a rookie Qb without having protection for the guy and plenty of examples of QBs failing due to that. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

In year 4 Sam is due about 10 mil which in this market isn’t that much. But if they draft Lawrence wouldn’t a guy like Flacco be a better fit as backup maybe short term starter. IMO if we do draft Lawrence the mistake would be to not give him adequate tools to be successful. We might have some skill position players for him (but not enough) on this roster but we have some extra high draft picks and I’d concentrate on the O line. You don’t commit to a rookie Qb without having protection for the guy and plenty of examples of QBs failing due to that. 

A couple years ago we gave McCown $8 million to be a backup

I’m hoping Sam Darnold wants out of here so bad he’s secretly in his mind out of here anyway. 
How would we know if he missed a few passs on purpose ?
I’d want out after these last 3 years if I was him. 
Just takes a few passes that are just a bit too long, or a bit to short.